Male
buffalo, ny.
Seen 15 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
514 posts
8.1 Years
name: ivan/an illegible mess.
weapon main: dual blades, hammer, charge blade, long sword
in-game name: saska (mhgu), starlight (mhw)
hunter rank: hr 55 or so in mhw, hr 80+ in mhgu
currently playing: mhgu and mhw
friendcode: i dont know my switch code off the top of my head, but my psn id is anillegiblemess

i'm so glad there's an mh group here!! it's good to know more people on here play it. i was afraid i was the only one; but i think world helped expand the series popularity. my first game was mh4u. i loved it so much; it got me hooked instantly. i bought a playstation JUST to play mhw... thats how much i love these games. it's definitely a special interest for me. my favorite monsters are odogaron, the magalas, yian kut-ku and zinogre! i'm super excited for iceborne thats coming out later this week. a lot of the monsters that are showing up arent my fav (yian garuga, rajang, tigrex, gold and silver raths) but i actually enjoyed world and i want to try this one out. i really hope they bring gore and shaggy back though ;; i'd also like to see the rest of the fated 4 make a comeback!
tumblr.|deviantart.|youtube.|instagram.

r.i.p scott hutchison ;; 11/20/81 -- 5/10/18

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
9,004 posts
8.4 Years
name: ivan/an illegible mess.
weapon main: dual blades, hammer, charge blade, long sword
in-game name: saska (mhgu), starlight (mhw)
hunter rank: hr 55 or so in mhw, hr 80+ in mhgu
currently playing: mhgu and mhw
friendcode: i dont know my switch code off the top of my head, but my psn id is anillegiblemess

i'm so glad there's an mh group here!! it's good to know more people on here play it. i was afraid i was the only one; but i think world helped expand the series popularity. my first game was mh4u. i loved it so much; it got me hooked instantly. i bought a playstation JUST to play mhw... thats how much i love these games. it's definitely a special interest for me. my favorite monsters are odogaron, the magalas, yian kut-ku and zinogre! i'm super excited for iceborne thats coming out later this week. a lot of the monsters that are showing up arent my fav (yian garuga, rajang, tigrex, gold and silver raths) but i actually enjoyed world and i want to try this one out. i really hope they bring gore and shaggy back though ;; i'd also like to see the rest of the fated 4 make a comeback!
Ahhh sweet!! Welcome to the club! :D I'll add you right now!

Yeah, no doubt World broadened the western audience for MH and I'm so happy that's the case. I really hope the World players branch out into the handheld games as well, since those are my personal favorites. <3 And hey! My first MH game was 4U too! I'm so glad people were able to appreciate that entry. :')

Actually, someone who plays World regularly, do they have Frenzy Resist in that? Or any skill that would impact how Gore/Shagaru's abilities work? Because that may be indicative of a future release.

Nah

Age 27
Female
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Hours Ago
13,663 posts
5.9 Years
Frenzy Res (or something similar) isn't currently a skill in World, and afaik it's not been found in the Iceborne beta or anything. Still possible though that the Magalas could be put in at some future point though
Nah ンン
“No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
9,004 posts
8.4 Years
Yeah, that's what I figured. Shame, but who knows? Maybe in the future. :)

Also, I'll be online tonight starting.... now! 9PM EST. Come hunt with me if you're around. FC in my sig. <3

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
9,004 posts
8.4 Years
Okay finally finished my G-rank Akantor set and ngl it’s like a 5/10

Nah

Age 27
Female
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Hours Ago
13,663 posts
5.9 Years

there we go, we finally have a good version of it instead of the low-quality incomplete splices from pre-release
Nah ンン

an illegible mess.

i'll make tiny changes to earth.

Male
buffalo, ny.
Seen 15 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
514 posts
8.1 Years
Frenzy Res (or something similar) isn't currently a skill in World, and afaik it's not been found in the Iceborne beta or anything. Still possible though that the Magalas could be put in at some future point though
i think they'll be put in the game. there hasnt been a lot of data mining in iceborne done yet, so no one knows for sure if frenzy res is in the game. i only think the magalas will show up again because nergigante shares their skeleton and a majority of their movesets. fighting it for me was like fighing spiky shaggy lol. i fought gore/shaggy thousands of times in 4u and nerg was no sweat once i figured out it had the same moves.

also, for the new glav music, i actually dont like it as much as the og one from gen :( it doesnt sound as aggressive/menacing to me. to be fair, i fought glav recently in iceborne and it was kind of a pushover. its charged tail swipe doesnt instacart you like it did in gen. i'm definitely not complaining tho lol. havent fought acidic glav yet but i've heard its set is good for long sword!
tumblr.|deviantart.|youtube.|instagram.

r.i.p scott hutchison ;; 11/20/81 -- 5/10/18

Nah

Age 27
Female
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Hours Ago
13,663 posts
5.9 Years
i think they'll be put in the game. there hasnt been a lot of data mining in iceborne done yet, so no one knows for sure if frenzy res is in the game. i only think the magalas will show up again because nergigante shares their skeleton and a majority of their movesets. fighting it for me was like fighing spiky shaggy lol. i fought gore/shaggy thousands of times in 4u and nerg was no sweat once i figured out it had the same moves.

also, for the new glav music, i actually dont like it as much as the og one from gen :( it doesnt sound as aggressive/menacing to me. to be fair, i fought glav recently in iceborne and it was kind of a pushover. its charged tail swipe doesnt instacart you like it did in gen. i'm definitely not complaining tho lol. havent fought acidic glav yet but i've heard its set is good for long sword!
Yeah having the same skeleton definitely helps. They're also a not unpopular pair of flagship monsters, so if Capcom's down for adding stuff generally considered annoying like Rajang and Yian Garuga to MHW, you'd think that Gore and Shagaru would be put in at some point

Both the regular Glavenus and the Acidic one's sets seem to be good for longsword, at least to me. Might even be able to make something better than either of them by mixing the two together. But I'll have to see how that goes later, I've not gotten to the Acidic Glavenus fight yet, just got through the Tigrex and Brachydios ones today

I want that Acidic Glavenus hammer tho, that muk looks sexy af
Nah ンン

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
9,004 posts
8.4 Years
The whole Acidic Glavenus fight looks incredible! It's got such dynamic posing when it's enraged and the tail isn't covered anymore. The tail stabs and those sweeping turns look very well animated imo!

Though, I have to agree, OG Glav music is better. Maybe that's just a fragment of nostalgia talking (or as much nostalgia as one can have for a game that's still family new in retrospect), but it just feel more intense to me.

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
9,004 posts
8.4 Years
Hey hunters, I'm going to be online tonight starting at 9PM EST. Feel free to come by for a hunt or if you need any help with quests! <3

7755-1826-2784

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
9,004 posts
8.4 Years
UGH I finally finished Boltreaver Astalos EX (which again was NOT my quest so I don't get credit for it rip) but hot damn that thing was harder than Soulseer. @_@;

Nah

Age 27
Female
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Hours Ago
13,663 posts
5.9 Years
Which would you say are the hardest EX deviants?

Though yeah, I've heard a lot of people say that Boltreaver EX (or just Boltreaver in general) is hard. Not that I have much experience with it myself, I've only fought it a handful of times. The G1 quest once so I could unlock Bloodbath, and then a few other times by chance because people posted it (not the EX one though) in turns rooms.
Nah ンン

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
9,004 posts
8.4 Years
I haven't fought most of the EX Deviants, but so far the hardest one I dealt with and actually defeated was Dreadking. Easiest was probably Hellblade.

Conversely, I've gone up against Bloodbath Diablos a few times and the fights never lasted more than 30 seconds, even with some of the best hunters I know. That thing is in a class of it's own, even compared to other EX Deviants. I weep for the hunters who have ragequit so hard they never picked up the game again. :'(

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.

Male
on the second floor's nest
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
859 posts
11 Years
Even though I am a relatively recent player, I must be part of this. Where's my Dragonator Submission Form!

Name: Venia Silente
Weapon Main: Switch Axe ; Dual Blades
Currently Playing: MH3U (3DS), about 150 hr in
In-game Name Nadia (Save 3)

I've liked the MH music and monster designs for a good while, when I first met the franchise ca. 2016. However my first experiences playing MH4U were disastrous, I couldn't get past the introductory missions and didn't really "get" the game. However, a friend and fellow FF writer had since persisted in hooking me into the game and eventually I decided to gave them another opportunity. Under advice from that friend, from r/monsterhunter and even from /mhg/ I decided to start with MH3U and I can say I am no dissapoint after about 150 h of playtime in little less than a month.

I eventually plan to retake MH4U and maybe even MHXX, and I'm assisting a fellow DnD group member in playing World, but for now my focus is on MH3U. The games are really cool - I did not even held the 3DS capable of games with such ambiance. And I am told the game is much better on the Wii(U?) but a 3DS is all I have and even there it's done marvels.

Dunno what else can I say about the games? I know some lore and stuff (Ancient Fatalis ftw), the monster designs are top notch and something I wish Gamefreak took some lessons from (Royal Ludroth, Zinogre, Barioth, Teo&Luna, Kulve Taroth!) and I hold the music in high esteem - my current ringtone is Electric Rebel, Astalos' theme which is saying something because to get there it had to dethrone the likes of FF VIII's The Legendary Beast which had been my ringtone for half a year.

And... have been following the Iceborne news and memes and it looks really interesting and it's good to see Terry Bogard Electric Doggo make it in. But man, does Shara Ishvalda look weird.
Venia Silente - Consulting Worldbuilder
Background... some day.
Fic stuff~

SWC Entries
: Playfield 2009 : Misaimed for Life 2014 : As They Were 2016 : Simpler than Magic 2017 : Beyond Today 2018 :

Other Releases
: Pseudo-Legendary : Silly human, romance is for Nidoran! (Valentine's : Tricks of the Love Fast (Valentine's) : Overlord (meow~) :
»»More in profile link or wiki link««

The Meta Journey!
Nidoran : Carnivine

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
9,004 posts
8.4 Years
Welcome to the guild, Hunter! I’ll add your information when I’m not on mobile. :) If you’re curious about MH Lore, I highly recommend reading about the Equal Dragon Weapon. That thing is insane!

Venia Silente

Male
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
859 posts
11 Years
Thanks! I'll be looking into that. I do have heard rumours about the "Daora" tower.

Well for now I'm "enjoying" end-air-quotes hunting down a Qurupeco. These last three days I've had my fair share of spare time.
Background... some day.
Fic stuff~

SWC Entries
: Playfield 2009 : Misaimed for Life 2014 : As They Were 2016 : Simpler than Magic 2017 : Beyond Today 2018 :

Other Releases
: Pseudo-Legendary : Silly human, romance is for Nidoran! (Valentine's : Tricks of the Love Fast (Valentine's) : Overlord (meow~) :

The Meta Journey!

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
9,004 posts
8.4 Years
Fun fact about me: for the first year I played MH, I was pronouncing 'Qurupeco' as 'Quad-row-pea-doh' and I have no idea why. My brain just latched onto it and couldn't let go.

On another note, I'm going to be hosting Deviant hunts tonight if anyone wants to join in! Optional Discord lobby available since I finally got my headset working too! n_n; 7755-1826-2784

I FINALLY beat EX Hellblade on my own quest so I now officially have the little crown next to my name even though I've beaten like 10+ Deviants. :') I'm so happy.

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
9,004 posts
8.4 Years
Officially abusing my moderator / club owner powers to double post, so feel free to crucify me later — but I just beat EX Dreadqueen!! Like damn, I’m actually fairly proud of myself. Two EXs in one day!

(´▽`ʃƪ)♡

Nah

Age 27
Female
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Hours Ago
13,663 posts
5.9 Years
so feel free to crucify me later
ok I'll go get my crucifixion kit then

But really though, good job. I still can't do EX Hellblade solo =(
Nah ンン

Venia Silente

Male
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
859 posts
11 Years
ok I'll go get my crucifixion kit then
Post your bonuses.

My success of the day is finally clearing Please Save Our Boat (Moga Rank 3) by defeating a Royal Ludroth. My reward is clothes, as the trope goes, as well as wild Royal Ludroth in the Moga coast. The beast dares to use Lagiacrus' theme song.
Background... some day.
Fic stuff~

SWC Entries

Other Releases

The Meta Journey!

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
9,004 posts
8.4 Years
Oh god, you’re fighting those underwater too, aren’t you. (´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`)

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
9,004 posts
8.4 Years
Second double post -- I am prepared for the mod abuse pitchforks.

Not a real achievement (kinda one for me since I'm so damn picky) but I've successfully tranmog'd another set of armor! My previous Valstrax set has now become to epitome of leather jacket wearing angst filled Fairy and I couldn't be more proud. :')

Edit: I'm not testing my luck with a third post lmao. But I'm going to start quoting/pinging club members when I'm going to be online hunting and I hope all of you do the same! I can currently play MH4U, MHGen, MHGU, and if you really twist my arm MH World but I make no promises on that. Thoughts on opening a proper guild Discord chat for PC hunters in #videogames?

Venia Silente

Male
Seen 1 Hour Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
859 posts
11 Years
Oh god, you’re fighting those underwater too, aren’t you. (´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`)
I've been fighting both under and over. You can replay the first mission where you meet Lagiacrus. Hopefully it is good for training but god that thing hits hard.

Honestly, underwater I can fight Royal Ludroth slow but otherwise fine, since he seems to allow for better prep time to land hits on him.

On land however that thing is a PITA: long run sequences that you can't really chase after if he's in a wide room (or he punishes you with Waterblight if you try), an annoying and very harmful roll attack, and the same bark&bite normal Ludroth do but comes out a lot faster. Oh and he calls for help and unlike with the Great Jaggi the smaller Ludroth do know how to work as a team.

Lagiacrus... is a different story. Underwater he's a PITA through and through. Has absurd reach and it is hard to hit without suffering a counter, has a near-instant pouch check, can Water Drill at good speeds and even through boulders and parts of the environment, and when enraged that Water Drill reaches from one end of the area to the other with about the same swift and speed I've seen Nergigante do in some gameplay videos. If he's enraged the strategy against him seems to be to flee or get carted trying.

Did I mention he can electrify large areas of water around him?

*chuckles* I'm in danger.

On land? He's basically a supersized Royal Ludroth with fewer attacks but more stamina and more judicious use of his toolset. He gains a shoulder press that even if you see coming, since he is like what, 30-35m long not counting the tail? You simply won't get enough distance in your roll to evade it. That and if you are too close he just like... flops on top of you and kills you with the sheer weight.

Still... they both make for awesome fights. The music does nothing but help. And at least for Lagiacrus, even if replaying Guts It's What's For Dinner does not advance the plot and does not actually get you anything useful except the pain of experience... I did kind of get the last laugh.

I got his tail. And in a successive run, some hide and a horn.

(Yes I know he regrows it later. I'm having my moment here ;_; )

Now five more and I can make a hat
Background... some day.
Fic stuff~

SWC Entries

Other Releases

The Meta Journey!

Dawn

of the Final Day

Age 29
Non-binary
Away with the fairies
Seen 46 Minutes Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
I think coming off G5, most (excluding Soulseer because psyduck Soulseer, seriously) EX deviants are a very long walk in the park. They're all on their own, after all, whilst the G5s pit you against multiple monsters at once and it is often chaotic. When multiple monsters appear on-screen I tend to panic and die a lot faster...especially in arenas where dung bombs won't get you anywhere, traps may or may not work, and smoke bombs are not as useful as they ought to be...or when it's two Glavenus.

Poor Lagiacrus...with underwater battles gone he lost most of his edge, I think. That might have been because underwater combat was so damned awkward though!

Speaking of underwater battles...does anyone else miss Gobul? Nibelsnarf just doesn't have the same weird appeal...

It's been a while since I played MHGU, although when my Daemon x Machina hori joycons come at the end of the month I might pick it up again to see how it is with what will basically feel like a proper controller...plus I still have to do a couple of EX deviants (Crystalbeard...) to do, many many hub quests of various ranks I couldn't be bothered to do, and more crowns than I care to contemplate to get...including Crystalbeard and Drilltusk, those two crowns being why I stopped playing the game in the first place. The hunts take too long solo, the chances are too small, and nobody wants to do those two online, and with good reason - they suck. xD

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
9,004 posts
8.4 Years
I think coming off G5, most (excluding Soulseer because psyduck Soulseer, seriously) EX deviants are a very long walk in the park. They're all on their own, after all, whilst the G5s pit you against multiple monsters at once and it is often chaotic. When multiple monsters appear on-screen I tend to panic and die a lot faster...especially in arenas where dung bombs won't get you anywhere, traps may or may not work, and smoke bombs are not as useful as they ought to be...or when it's two Glavenus.

Poor Lagiacrus...with underwater battles gone he lost most of his edge, I think. That might have been because underwater combat was so damned awkward though!

Speaking of underwater battles...does anyone else miss Gobul? Nibelsnarf just doesn't have the same weird appeal...

It's been a while since I played MHGU, although when my Daemon x Machina hori joycons come at the end of the month I might pick it up again to see how it is with what will basically feel like a proper controller...plus I still have to do a couple of EX deviants (Crystalbeard...) to do, many many hub quests of various ranks I couldn't be bothered to do, and more crowns than I care to contemplate to get...including Crystalbeard and Drilltusk, those two crowns being why I stopped playing the game in the first place. The hunts take too long solo, the chances are too small, and nobody wants to do those two online, and with good reason - they suck. xD
I actually agree. I like the challenge and the one-on-one test of skill for the first couple fights, but the EX hunts do get tedious after a while. The difficulty spike in damage / HP is fun and all, but it would be more so if new attacks or movesets were included so you have to learn something new. Also the rewards are pretty.. meh. Not the hunt rewards but getting the ability to transmog Deviant armors seems really lackluster imo. Ngl tho, Soulseer and Boltreaver were some of the most fun for me. So far, Silverwind and Hellblade have been the easiest, and Dreadking was the hardest.

You should pick it up again! I'll do the EX Deviants with ya. :D Actually, that reminds me that I have to basically *start* all of... every Deviant though, ahaa.. My completion list is not much different from where it was back in January.
Spoiler:
Redhelm - stopped at G1
Snowbaron - stopped at VII
Stonefist - stopped at G1
Dreadqueen - complete
Drilltusk - stopped at III
Silverwind - stopped at IV
Crystalbeard - stopped at III
Deadeye - stopped at II
Dreadking - stopped at V
Thunderlord - never hunted
Grimclaw - never hunted
Hellblade - completed
Nightcloak - stopped at G2
Rustrazor - stopped at G2
Soulseer - stopped at G3
Boltreaver - stopped at G2
Elderfront - stopped at G2
Bloodbath - stopped at G3

fml :')
sorry for the double notif i edited the list since it was ever so slightly better than i initially posted

Advertiser Content