• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Parody titles in Japan too?

Alakazam

Banned
Years
Hey, you know how in North America all the Pokemon episodes have titles like "Turning Over A New Bayleef" and "Got Miltank?", where they make fun of something or parody it? Well I was just wondering if they do that in Japan as well with the episode titles or if this was just a Kids WB! idea? Do they have titles that describe the episodes in Japan or pardoy titles like in North America?

jynx

Er.../eh...
Years
No, they don't.
They are very straight forward titles such as "Kettou! Pokemon hinamtsuri!" (Battle! Pokemon Girls's day), Thats the Japanese title of "Princess VS Princess"

Alakazam

Banned
Years
Which do you prefer English parody titles or Japanese normal titles? I prefer the Japanese ones since the parody titles have gotten way past the point of being way over done. Plus they don't tell you what the heck the episode is about, but that's just me.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
I have seen some puns played on a lot there. (This romanji is probably spelled incorrectly. ^_^;;)

There was one episode of Inuyasha where they did. There is a character name Jayken, and Rock Paper Scissors in Japanese is like Ja-ken-pa. The whole first five minutes of the episode and the episode title revolved around this pun, which doesn?t translate well.

Tweak

:laugh: i think in season 1, the english episodes didn't use as many puns.

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
Years
Japanese titles often are very long and tend to be like a small sypnosis of what is going to happen in the episode. For example: "Once more, Team Magma vs. Team Aqua! Mt. Chimney Battle!". This doesn't only apply to Pok?mon but to many other anime as well.
Personally I don't really like the titles that 4Kids is making up lately. I prefer the titles of season 1 and 2.

Alakazam

Banned
Years
Unown_ said:
Japanese titles often are very long and tend to be like a small sypnosis of what is going to happen in the episode. For example: "Once more, Team Magma vs. Team Aqua! Mt. Chimney Battle!". This doesn't only apply to Pok?mon but to many other anime as well.
Personally I don't really like the titles that 4Kids is making up lately. I prefer the titles of season 1 and 2.
I agree completely. The titles have just gotten too stupid and annoying. I can't believe they didn't call an episode "The Pryce is Right!"

Rifted

Let's positive thinking!
Years
Ditto that. Season 1's titles were along the lines of:

"Ash Catches a Pokemon"
"Haunter VS Kadabra"
"The Problem with Paras"

But then towards the end of the season...

"Lights, Camera, Quacktion!" [Psyduck reference]
"To Master the Onixpected"
"Bad to the Bone" [Marowak reference]

And now we're stuck with...

"There's No Place Like Hoenn"
"You Can Never Taillow"
"Taming of the Shroomish"

I like the older episodes' titles because you can actually get what is going on from the title. Most of the time they are just lame puns a la Chrono Cross style. Although I do like that "Taming of the Shrew" reference they've got there. xD

Tweak

I agree completely. The titles have just gotten too stupid and annoying. I can't believe they didn't call an episode "The Pryce is Right!"

that has to the most annoying title..=-= i hope no title is like that. the titles are getting weirder and weirder and sometimes have no relation to what is going to happen in the story.

jynx

Er.../eh...
Years
Alakazam said:
Which do you prefer English parody titles or Japanese normal titles? I prefer the Japanese ones since the parody titles have gotten way past the point of being way over done. Plus they don't tell you what the heck the episode is about, but that's just me.
Of course I prefer Japanese titles.
The English titles in season 1 are very good too.
But I don't like other English titles!
Here are some particularly bad ones, "Beauty is skin deep", "You can never bayleef", "The Psychic Sidekick"
What on Earth do they mean??
They are very irrevelant to the epi too!

Sayuri no Hoshi

♥ i'm loving angels instead ♥
Years
I'd like to add the worst English dubbed episode title for Pokemon of all time: "Will the Real Oak Please Stand Up?"

*screams for about an hour*​

Okay, ^_^;;; I got that out of my system. If Eminem ever got wind of that pun, I'd like to see what would happen, lol. I like the English dub's titles, but they do tend to go a little too far, as someone has previously mentioned. "Nice Pryce, Baby!" was just SO awkward, I didn't know how to handle it...heh...>_<

Alakazam

Banned
Years
Apparently I am not alone in my hatred for "Will the Real Oak Please Stand Up?" I mean come on, what does Pokemon have to do with rap music!? Absolutely nothing! That's like having Stone Cold Steve Austin on Seseme Street! So is Nintendo trying to tell kids to go out and buy parent discrection music? I think this is far worse than the Legend of Dratini. The titles have just gotten too silly and the jokes need to end. I don't even laugh at them anymore, they are just so old. I am writing an article for my newsletter on this, that's why I wanted to see if others shared my displeasure, which they apparently do. 4Kids if you're reading this, please kill the stupid parody titles and stick with the season 1 style or the Japanese ones!

Flaming Torchic

HalOWNED!
Years
Alakazam said:
Apparently I am not alone in my hatred for "Will the Real Oak Please Stand Up?" I mean come on, what does Pokemon have to do with rap music!? Absolutely nothing! That's like having Stone Cold Steve Austin on Seseme Street! So is Nintendo trying to tell kids to go out and buy parent discrection music? I think this is far worse than the Legend of Dratini. The titles have just gotten too silly and the jokes need to end. I don't even laugh at them anymore, they are just so old. I am writing an article for my newsletter on this, that's why I wanted to see if others shared my displeasure, which they apparently do. 4Kids if you're reading this, please kill the stupid parody titles and stick with the season 1 style or the Japanese ones!

Maybe they have an evil scheme to support Eminem, lol. :p

Rifted

Let's positive thinking!
Years
I think there's a Vanilla Ice fan somewhere at 4Kids responsible for that "Nice Pryce, Baby!" one... >.>;;

However, the "Will the Real Oak Please Stand Up" one...is it just me, or is the phrase "Will the real so-and-so please stand up" actually a well-known phrase in the first place? After a brief search, I've found news articles titled in a similar manner that are dated back in the 1990's, long before Eminem's hit came to the radiowaves. :\

Back