• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Blue Update #2: Rock Tunnel to Silph Co.
Spoiler:

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
Ayo! Time for an update:

Updated the OP to post #161.
Added End Point and Optional End Point for Gen 8
For the moment, I'm not going to include Gen 8 in an ultimate challenge, I know it's a main series pokemon game but they've made the switch (no pun) from Handhelds to a conventional console (yes I know it can be a handheld but still). Therefore Ultimate challenges at least for now will remain Generations 1-7. (You can do Gen 8 if you want)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
They're doing a fairy type run though. Doesn't that require only those specific regions?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Ultimate Dragon monotype Soul Silver update

Current progress
Spoiler:

Current team
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 26, 2019
Forum User Name: FireBat87
Challenge type: Ultimate
Pokémon type: Ghost
Game(s): Fire Red, Soul Silver, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, White, Y, Moon, Shield

I'm gonna hack in a lvl 5 ghastly to start with in firered.
not sure about doing this yet: use Gen 2/3 ghosts one new pokemon per gym.

Last edited:
Years
Forum User Name: Lugiafan123
Game(s): Firered, Soulsilver, Emerald, Platinum, White 2, Y, Ultra moon
Pokemon Type: Ice
Single/Ultimate: Ultimate

My first ever ultimate run. Have done single runs before but never posted them on the forum. It stood between mono-water ghost or ice. Water felt too easy and ghost would feel horrible up until gen 4.
Now onto some questions since this will be my first ever ultimate run.
First question is are there any games that have ice types before gym 2 apart from Y?
Question 2 is if I plan to get regice in emerald do I have to catch the wailord as a wailord for the puzzle or can I catch a wailmer and evolve it if I only intend to use the wailord to open the path to regice.
Same goes for any other pokemon I might need for puzzles and the like?
One more thing is I'm probably not gonna start the run until after christmas.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 26, 2019
Q1: Gen 7 you can get Crabrawler before second kahuna. every other gen is after gym 2.

Q2: You should be fine. That should count as using those pokemon as hm slaves.

RattataDude

Soon-To-be RaticateMan
Years
I'm newish to this stuff, but it seems pretty fun! let me try:
Forum name: RattataDude
Game: White 2, Pearl
Pokemon Type: Steel
Wish me luck everyone!

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I'm newish to this stuff, but it seems pretty fun! let me try:
Game: White 2, Pearl
Wish me luck everyone!

Just clarifying: if you're doing an ultimate challenge, you need to play a game from every region.
Technically, you're doing 2 single challenges rather than an ultimate.

RattataDude

Soon-To-be RaticateMan
Years
Whoops. thanks for telling me ShyRayQ! In that case...
Game White 2, Pearl
Single/Ultimate: 2 Single challenges
Quick update on my challenge, I have two gym badges now, with Mettaton the Magnemite[Lv19] and Rappa the Riolu. [Lv18]. I'm about to challenge burgh, any tips?
Smell Ya!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 26, 2019
Ultimate ghost monotype Firered Progress Update:

I started this run with a lvl 1 ghastly only had access to lick and hypnosis in routes with mostly normal types so...many...pidgeys *sobs in corner*
spent time in viridian forest licking everything that moved until I learned curse which let me deal with normal types in a painfully slow way.
Brock was easy most of the pokemon only used defence curl or tackle which i'm immune to. Until i got to onyx which had rock tomb I had to put it to sleep and let curse kill it.
Mt moon wasn't too bad i had night shade which dealt with zubats and i had curse to deal with the occasional rattata from rocket grunts.
Cerulian city since I'm only running ghastly it reached lvl 25 and turned into haunter which i then turned into gengar with shadow punch misty was a cake walk
Blue on the other hand sucked my only way of dealing with both his rattata and pidgeotto was to use confuse ray/curse and let them kill themselves
Found secret power in route 25 which gave me a reliable way to deal with normal types the rest of the game should be a breeze.
Finally i beat Lt surge his gym puzzle is annoying as ever but the fight itself was easy.
I'm now going into rock tunnel with a lvl 38 gengar who should be renamed one punch man.

Years

Ultimate Dragon Monotype in Pokémon Platinum

altaria.png
garchomp-f.png

FINAL PART

So, it has been a while again since I updated my Ultimate run. As I said last time, I hacked in Swablu as my starter and had probably the hardest battle against Roark ever. Swablu did nothing to his Pokémon and died after 2-3 hits. I had to level him to circa level 28 to win. And it still was close.

But it was breeze after that. Especially after getting Gible and Veilstone Game Corner's TMs.

Last obstacles were Bertha and Cynthia. Bertha is my usual run stopper and this time, it was no different. Her Rhyperior and Gliscor were able to counter my dragons, but I was able to beat them with the combination of speed, revives and Ice-beams. Cynthia was probably easier out of the two as the only problem I had was for my Dragon Rush to hit and her to miss.

Overall, I had fun this run. Garchomp is overpowered as ever and Altaria helped with more coverage.

And here's the Hall of Fame:
Spoiler:

As for the Unova portion, I'll hack in Deino as my starter, since if my memory serves me well, there is no dragon prior the 2nd Gym.

Team

altaria.png

Dan, Lax Male Altaria
lvl 63, Natural Cure @NeverMeltIce
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Fly

garchomp-f.png

Deni, Sassy Female Garchomp
lvl 63, Sand Veil @Sitrus Berry
- Dragon Rush
- Sandstorm
- Slash
- Earthquake​

Years
Q1: Gen 7 you can get Crabrawler before second kahuna. every other gen is after gym 2.

Q2: You should be fine. That should count as using those pokemon as hm slaves.

I'm guessing you're excluding gen 6 for some reason but I always thought you could get the fossil pokemon before gym 2. Or am I wrong on that point?

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
I'm guessing you're excluding gen 6 for some reason but I always thought you could get the fossil pokemon before gym 2. Or am I wrong on that point?

I believe you can get Amaura before the second gym. So that would be fine to use.

In terms of HM slaves and pokemon needed for other pokemon to evolve or become obtainable, For example needing a wailord for Regice, it's perfectly fine to catch and train as long as you don't use them in story progression battles.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Dec 26, 2019

Oh sorry I excluded gen 6 because you said "apart from Y" in your original post.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Ultimate Dragon monotype Soul Silver update

Final Soul Silver progress
Spoiler:

Final Soul Silver team
Spoiler:

RattataDude

Soon-To-be RaticateMan
Years
Quick update on my white 2 run, I'm trying to get a Metagross before the elite 4, so thats on hold.

But for my pearl steel monotype, its kind hard. I have a prinplup about to evolve and I only beat the second gym, and I caught a bronzor at wayward cave.

You can only get six steel pokemon in Pearl pre-post-game; Empoleon, Bronzong, Steelix, Lucario, Wormadam trash, and Bastiodon.
Three of them are obtained in other methods than just catching them. Honey trees, mining underground, and hatching an egg.

Should I do the other options to have a full team? or do you think 3 pokemon will be enough? let me know!
Thx

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Quick update on my white 2 run, I'm trying to get a Metagross before the elite 4, so thats on hold.

But for my pearl steel monotype, its kind hard. I have a prinplup about to evolve and I only beat the second gym, and I caught a bronzor at wayward cave.

You can only get six steel pokemon in Pearl pre-post-game; Empoleon, Bronzong, Steelix, Lucario, Wormadam trash, and Bastiodon.
Three of them are obtained in other methods than just catching them. Honey trees, mining underground, and hatching an egg.

Should I do the other options to have a full team? or do you think 3 pokemon will be enough? let me know!
Thx

fwiw I did a full 6 in my pearl steel of those 6, and i can say with confidence that they help. A lot. I'd at least grab Shieldon and Lucario. Wormatrash is a nice pick up if it happens, but it ain't gonna contribute much.

~~~

Aaaaaand it's time to get this hot garbage over with. The run continues!

Forum User Name: ddrox13
Game(s): FireRed, StormSilver, Emerald, Diamond, Black 2, Y, Sun, Shield
Pokémon Type: Grass
Single/Ultimate: Ultimate (Cont'd)

The Grass-type continues its long and arduous march through yet another region of pain and suffering. This time: Galar.

As every region must have a way to thoroughly screw over the Grass type (as is tradition), Galar does so with character selection. Holy carp the new Grassies are AWFUL on paper. This region's Grass offerings are: a slow pure-grass without the defenses to make up for it in Rillaboom, a fun and unique type combo that looks fast but isn't really (and is locked to the wrong version) in Flapple, Applin's slower evolution who absolutely doesn't have the defenses to justify it in Appletun, and of course worse Whimsicott aka Gossifleur.

Thankfully, the OTHER Grass-types native to Galar's rolling hills are among the best. Cherrim offers sun-related options to work with Solarbeam spam and Chlorophyll users like Vileplume, Ludicolo brings much-needed Water coverage, Abomasnow provides a Hail option for full spectrum weather shenanigans, Whimsicott is still better Gossifleur, and Roserade is, well, Roserade.

Also the game itself provided a HUGE unintentional buff to the Grass-type in the form of the Stone-evolution movepool changes. Starting in gen 7, stone evolutions retain the entire movepool of their pre-evolution starting at level 0 - and in gen 8, the reminder being in the first town means you have access to these really early on. That, combined with the Wild Area granting pre-gym-1 access to every single evolution stone, means you can get incredibly strong very early with those stone evos. And in case you missed it, Ludicolo, Whimsicott, Vileplume, AND Roserade all fall into this camp - and though Cottonee is mostly locked behind gym 3, you can get all of these prior to gym 1.

As of this post I've played through 3 gyms, including having Lucicolo, 'Plume, and Roserade before Motostoke I. Hydro Pump hits like a truck before the first gym. My current team is a rotating squad of 8, which includes (in order of capture):

Taiko the Thwakey (starter)
Pistachio the Ludicolo (rt. 2)
Erica the Cherrim (Wild Area: Rolling Fields)
Flora the Roserade (Wild Area: North Lake Miloch)
Rafflesia the Vileplume (Wild Area: Max Raid)
Flute the Gossifleur (Rt. 3)
Oboe the Appletun (Wild Area: Giant's Mirror)
Erufuun the Whimsicott (Wild Area: Max Raid)
Reserves: Pinetree the Snover, Pecan the Ferroseed (both from Raids)

Currently Flute and Erica are on the bench because I don't need pure-grass now, but any of those 10 could see use thanks to candies being OP.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 7, 2023
Ultimate Dragon monotype White update

Current progress
Spoiler:

Current team
Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back