• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Enhanced Staircases

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Enhanced Staircases

This script provides pixel movement while walking on staircases, while also slowing down movement to capture the real feeling and motion of a staircase.

Usage
To make a stair work smoothly, it must have one event at the bottom, and one at the top (not on the staircase; one tile outwards). Staircase events utilize comments to configure the properties of the stairs. These comments are not compiled it any different format unlike, say, trainer generation, and as such do not require you to restart RPG Maker XP.

For events to be able to walk on the staircases, they must have their Through flag set to ON before they attempt to walk on the Stair events. Following Pokémon can walk on stairs to some degree, but there will be visual oddities when you come off the staircase. I do not intend to fix this, as it is an issue deeply rooted in how dependent events work in Pokémon Essentials.

The name of a staircase event must be Slope, and the event must contain a comment with the following text: Slope: AxB where A and B are numbers, specifying how many tiles away the second event is.
If the staircase is wider than 1 tile, this must match up with event that has the same stair index, as explained below.

If your staircase is more than 1 tile wide, you require an additional Width: A/B comment, where A is the index of the event in the staircase (i.e. if it's the bottom part of the staircase 0, if it's one higher 1, etc) and B is the total width of the staircase.
If you understand this explanation properly, then you'll agree that this means that the top event of a 3-wide staircase will say Width: 2/3.

It is also possible to specify at which point during movement from the event to the start of the staircase to increment the vertical offset. By default, this is a value of 16 pixels. This means that you move without any vertical increase for the first 16 pixels, and after that start climbing the staircase. To change this offset, write in a comment, Offset: Apx, where A is the number of pixels after which to start climbing the staircase.

Installation
Download the script below and insert it in a new script section above Main.
EnhancedStaircases
Please follow all the instructions and examples in this thread before asking for help.

Examples
That explanation was likely rather hard to really grasp/comprehend, so below is an example of a good staircase setup. It's for the one shown at the top of this thread.
mzYa4Oh.png

The events are at the bottom and top of the staircase, but not on the staircase. It is important to note that the name of each of these events must be Slope.
The lower railing of this bridge has its priority set separately from the bridge tiles, which is why the player appears below said railing.
Click the spoiler below to see the contents of the events.
Spoiler:

What makes a good stair tile?
When you walk on or off a staircase, you must end up on a tile perfectly. A staircase must have as many points to walk on it as there are points to walk off it.

Please view the following examples, and why they do or don't work.
Example 1
Spoiler:

Example 2
Spoiler:

Examples 3 & 4
Spoiler:

Example 5
Spoiler:

Example 6
Spoiler:

Example 7
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Updated to v1.3:
- Now fully compatible with mej's Following Pokémon script!
- Fixed issue where the stair would be triggerable by walking on the event and off again, and then going over or under the staircase.

Check out the example staircase with a follower!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Updated to v1.4:
  • The offset property is now actually optional (it used not to work without the comment).

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Updated to v1.5:
  • Stair progress/data is now cleared upon map transfer, which means it's also usable for, say, stairs that lead up to a second floor via a transfer event.

Shashu-Greninja

"With great power comes great responsibility"- Whe
Years
Updated to v1.6:
  • Offset property works again
Thanks for the script, it works great but I am facing one issue with it. After adding the script in my game the ledges became weird, it appears as if you are walking through it rather than jumping over it. Can you please look after it?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 14, 2021
I created a fix for the ledge issue back in November. The issue was caused by a change to the jump mechanic, which had been updated in 18.1.

This script change starts at around line 507, with "def screen_Y":

Spoiler:

Canal_do_Lontra

Oshawott uses Razor Shell
Years
Updated to v1.3:
- Now fully compatible with mej's Following Pokémon script!
- Fixed issue where the stair would be triggerable by walking on the event and off again, and then going over or under the staircase.

Check out the example staircase with a follower!

hello Marin I am with EBDX on essentials 18.1, and it isn't working, can you help me?
unknown.png

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 7, 2022
Enhanced Staircases

This script provides pixel movement while walking on staircases, while also slowing down movement to capture the real feeling and motion of a staircase.

Usage
To make a stair work smoothly, it must have one event at the bottom, and one at the top (not on the staircase; one tile outwards). Staircase events utilize comments to configure the properties of the stairs. These comments are not compiled it any different format unlike, say, trainer generation, and as such do not require you to restart RPG Maker XP.

For events to be able to walk on the staircases, they must have their Through flag set to ON before they attempt to walk on the Stair events. Following Pokémon can walk on stairs to some degree, but there will be visual oddities when you come off the staircase. I do not intend to fix this, as it is an issue deeply rooted in how dependent events work in Pokémon Essentials.

The name of a staircase event must be Slope, and the event must contain a comment with the following text: Slope: AxB where A and B are numbers, specifying how many tiles away the second event is.
If the staircase is wider than 1 tile, this must match up with event that has the same stair index, as explained below.

If your staircase is more than 1 tile wide, you require an additional Width: A/B comment, where A is the index of the event in the staircase (i.e. if it's the bottom part of the staircase 0, if it's one higher 1, etc) and B is the total width of the staircase.
If you understand this explanation properly, then you'll agree that this means that the top event of a 3-wide staircase will say Width: 2/3.

It is also possible to specify at which point during movement from the event to the start of the staircase to increment the vertical offset. By default, this is a value of 16 pixels. This means that you move without any vertical increase for the first 16 pixels, and after that start climbing the staircase. To change this offset, write in a comment, Offset: Apx, where A is the number of pixels after which to start climbing the staircase.

Installation
Download the script below and insert it in a new script section above Main.
EnhancedStaircases
Please follow all the instructions and examples in this thread before asking for help.

Examples
That explanation was likely rather hard to really grasp/comprehend, so below is an example of a good staircase setup. It's for the one shown at the top of this thread.
mzYa4Oh.png

The events are at the bottom and top of the staircase, but not on the staircase. It is important to note that the name of each of these events must be Slope.
The lower railing of this bridge has its priority set separately from the bridge tiles, which is why the player appears below said railing.
Click the spoiler below to see the contents of the events.
Spoiler:

What makes a good stair tile?
When you walk on or off a staircase, you must end up on a tile perfectly. A staircase must have as many points to walk on it as there are points to walk off it.

Please view the following examples, and why they do or don't work.
Example 1
Spoiler:

Example 2
Spoiler:

Examples 3 & 4
Spoiler:

Example 5
Spoiler:

Example 6
Spoiler:

Example 7
Spoiler:

i Have A Question for This when Making the staircase what do you put on the right side if you made a bridge i have the Left Stuff Correct But I Cant Seem To Get it Correct For the Right side

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 24, 2023
I am getting this error message, is there anything I can do to fix it. I followed your Instructions carefully.
Spoiler:

Edit: Nvm I found out why, this is for v18 not v19.

Last edited:
Back