• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rhythm Games

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
What kind of Rhythm Games do you play?

For those who don't know I work at a place called Round 1 which is a Japanese Arcade and Bowling and we have a good handful of different Rhythm Games to play and I started trying out new games to play. Other than DDR and Guitar Hero I play mostly Groove Coaster and Love Live! and even tried Voez at one point.

Years
Over the years I used to play DDR and.. Just Dance with friends. I didn't have much experience with Guitar Hero even though it was such a hit. In 2012 I played about 200 hours of the original Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. From 2015-2016 I was really into osu... and dabbled a bit in Love Live: School Idol Festival in 2017. Dark times. Nowadays, I'm casually into Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Future Tone and Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun.

Speaking of those games, have you played the arcade versions of Project Diva and Taiko no Tatsujin, Caite?

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Rhythm games were a genre I pointedly ignored growing up because they involved either physical activity or using weird controllers, and they featured songs that I mostly didn't care for...then Theatrhythm Final Fantasy came out, and I loved it. Touch screen controls were so intuitive for it, the songs were mostly fantastic (unfortunately it included tracks from FFIX) and the visual style was oddly appealing.

A few years later I picked up Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F on Vita in a sale, and I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed it! Obviously that had a few bad songs in it as well, but I generally ignored those to do the ones I enjoyed instead. These days I play Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Megamix on Switch, if only because I can't imagine playing a rhythm game on a TV screen comfortably. This is a genre that I prefer to curl up with and play casually.

EDIT: Add Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory to that list! I just tried the demo and I actually really enjoyed it!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
Speaking of those games, have you played the arcade versions of Project Diva and Taiko no Tatsujin, Caite?

I have not. I know they are making it harder for us to play games if we work there now. I might try Taiko no Tatsujin on my Switch. I just bought Voez for my Switch and have been playing that.

[C]

The Fifth Pillar
Years
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan
Elite Beat Agents
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (f, Mirai, etc.)
Taiko no Tatsujin series

Really like them, but I'm nowhere near as good as the crazy stuff you see online.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I watch some of our Mechanics at work who play Beatmania and all I have to say is HOLY. SHIT. Like my brain can't process that stuff that fast and they are flying through it. My manager who got me into Groove Coaster makes it look easy and I'm sitting here trying to get through the easy stuff without screwing it up.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
We had DDR Ultramix in our old house, which was for the original Xbox. I have fond memories of it.

If Guitar Hero counts, I've played that.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
I'm not really one for rythm games, I admit. Nevertheless, I LOVE Crypt of the Necrodancer. The addition of rythm game elements to the rogue-like genre (which is a genre I'm very fond of) puts a time pressure on your moves through the dungeon. This is a big part of the challenge, and because of that the game becomes really tense often.

pkmin3033

I'm not really one for rythm games, I admit. Nevertheless, I LOVE Crypt of the Necrodancer. The addition of rythm game elements to the rogue-like genre (which is a genre I'm very fond of) puts a time pressure on your moves through the dungeon. This is a big part of the challenge, and because of that the game becomes really tense often.

Speaking of CotN, did you get a chance to play Cadence of Hyrule? Definitely worth it if you enjoyed that!

Years
i love these!! though most of mine are phone games, lol
what I've played:

Love Live! School idol festival
BanG Dream! Girls Band Party
Crypt of the Necrodancer (with bf)
Idolmaster Cinderella Girls
Idolmaster Million Live
Tokyo 7th Sisters
Idolish7

among others I'm definitely forgetting. used to be really into rhythm games a few years ago. nowadays I sadly haven't played many at all :( my attention span for mobile gaming isn't as good anymore so I only play them once in a while, and Necrodancer I don't play unless I'm with my partner (we're currently long distance).

Lycanthropy

Years
Speaking of CotN, did you get a chance to play Cadence of Hyrule? Definitely worth it if you enjoyed that!

I didn't actually, as I don't have a Switch. Does it have a lot of new mechanics compared to CotN or is it mostly just a reskin?

Crypt of the Necrodancer was too hard for me. x_x

It is indeed quite a challenging game. I have close to 50 hours into the game, and I think I only managed to beat it twice with Cadence. Granted, only most of that was with the standard character, but still...
It takes quite a bit of practice to get that needed muscle memory to beat all those monsters, haha.

pkmin3033

I didn't actually, as I don't have a Switch. Does it have a lot of new mechanics compared to CotN or is it mostly just a reskin?
It's...quite different, actually. It's closer to being a 2D Zelda game than it is a COTN reskin, at least. There's more of a focus on overworld exploration than there is dungeon exploration - although the game does have shorter dungeons and bosses - and there are a few simple puzzles to solve here and there as well. Definitely worth trying out if you get your hands on a Switch~

Lycanthropy

Years
It's...quite different, actually. It's closer to being a 2D Zelda game than it is a COTN reskin, at least. There's more of a focus on overworld exploration than there is dungeon exploration - although the game does have shorter dungeons and bosses - and there are a few simple puzzles to solve here and there as well. Definitely worth trying out if you get your hands on a Switch~

Oh! I honestly just thought that is was CotN but with Zelda creatures. But that sounds actually really interesting!

Considering a Switch is quite expensive, I most likely won't get my hands on one soon, if at all. But I'll keep it in mind just in case! c:

Years
I've never been big on rhythm games for whatever reason, they've just never done it for me. That being said, Melody's Escape is really cool. That one gets a pass xD

Back