• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen There's no National Dex

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
Is it needed?

Not many people really complete the entire National. (A statement I feel is going to be disproven on Pokécommunity).
To me, having a National Dex is just a grim reminder of how many Pokemon there are, and how many are very forgetable to me.

pkmin3033

Kinda irritating, but in hindsight at least they actually bothered to code every Pokemon into the game. I actually wonder if they did this as a trial run for Dexit, to see how much of a negative reaction there would be to the lack of a National Dex. Perhaps the conclusion drawn from this was that people don't care if they can't get every Pokemon in the game, since doing that isn't recognised as anything in Gen VII thanks to this. If so...well, that backfired spectacularly.

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
Years
I miss the National Dex. I appreciated that they gave you the challenge of literally completing the slogan "Gotta Catch'em All!"

I loved this in SoulSilver, BW/B2W2, and so on-- I mean, until Generation 7, of course :(

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
Years
Although I'm probably just upset because if I catch a certain Unova Pokemon it won't appear in the Pokedex in Generation 7 because it only includes "Alolan Pokemon."

Still salty >:(

Years
I'm no programmer, but I remember doing a double-take when I managed to transfer in a Koffing to my copy of Sun and saw that its dex entry was just...blank.

Like, not even copy-pasted from a previous generation, which would have honestly been fine with me.

Surely if you can code / copy-paste in entire pokemon, you can do the same for literal lines of text, right...?

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
I've never completed the National Dex in any game before, and all the Pokémon from previous games were in Gen 7 anyway so this didn't bother me too much personally. Was only disappointed in Gen 8 when the lack of a National Dex came with certain Pokémon missing from the game entirely.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i didn't know so guess who tackled the national dex in ultramoon and then found out like. after sword/shield came out that it wasn't even in usum lmfaooooo i didn't finish btw bc i moved on to other projects but like the fact i tackled it and was almost done and i still didn't know is hilarious.

Back