Showcase Atelier Dawn

Started by Dawn November 2nd, 2020 8:09 AM
  • 6 replies
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
15,743 posts
6.3 Years
So I bought a moderately expensive and extremely large tablet back in June, and I now have an iPad too, because I've wanted to try my hand at digital art for a long time. I mostly do (or did, it's been a little while) traditional art in tiny sketchbooks which I might take pictures of at some point but for now it'll be just my digital art that doesn't make me want to curl up in a corner and cry. My art sucks, so please don't criticise me too much if at all because I am still learning and I have zero self-confidence and I shouldn't be doing this but oh well

About all I've really decided as of right now is that I don't like clean blocky shading, because it NEVER looks right when I do it. So all the art I ever do will likely have less defined shading. Sorry if that bothers anyone ^^;

I will probably prettify this post later with CSS and stuff. I may also post WIPs if that's acceptable, because my bigger WIPs will be WIPs for a long time. Otherwise there will be BIG update gaps. xD

Only two pics to share for now:

Sleepy Bulbasaur I did as a test piece when I got my tablet! Turned out OKish I think but the shading is a tad weak and it turns out I couldn't do a proper background after all with the tools/skills I had.

Hatsune Miku in her nightmarish Catch the Wave outfit I did for her birthday this year. Took me like a month and those hairpieces made me want to curl up and die more than once. But I'm...kinda sorta maybe a little bit proud of this?

VPPGame Journal ✩ Paired with Dusk ❤ ✩

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 41 Minutes Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
22,708 posts
8.7 Years
That is a very cute Bulbasaur and props for managing that wild ass hair piece.
Staff Anime Villain Collab • Petelgeuse Romanee-Conti • My brain trembles!
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
15,743 posts
6.3 Years
Messy af Garbodor that is the second picture I've done in Procreate, and the first one coloured. It was somewhat intentional because I wanted grunge and it's a literal garbage Pokemon so slightly messy lines and shading seemed appropriate. I think I prefer using CSP to colour, but Procreate makes creating backgrounds sooooo much easier with the brushes and blending options!

Spoiler tagged because it's damn big:
Spoiler:

gimmepie

Age 25
Male
Australia
Seen 41 Minutes Ago
Posted 4 Hours Ago
22,708 posts
8.7 Years
The splotchy background really adds a lot to Garbodor's impact for some reason. Nice work!
Staff Anime Villain Collab • Petelgeuse Romanee-Conti • My brain trembles!

professor plum

in the lounge with the candlestick.

Age 29
he/him/his
louisiana
Seen 36 Minutes Ago
Posted 1 Hour Ago
10,408 posts
15.6 Years
That Garbodor is so cute!! Good work, Dawn! :D
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
15,743 posts
6.3 Years
Thank you for your comments ^^

I swear I'm not going to update every day, but I'm still in the "Oooh new toy!" phase with my iPad and Procreate so I'm spending a couple of hours in the afternoon sketching. At some point I'll organise all this...and make a damn art Twitter. xD

Spoiler:

Experimental Ivysaur - I had a go with some of the brushes and a proper attempt at blending. It was...frustrating, tbh. The smudge tool isn't as precise as my CSP brushes so there was a lot of trial and error involved. I was aiming for the same kind of subtlety you see in the Sugimori artwork, but it still looks a bit flat to me...bolder shading might be better for me, I think.

Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
15,743 posts
6.3 Years
Me again. Have some Venusaurs:
Spoiler:

Yeah, I'm making a Procreatedex. I will probably make a wordpress blog about this. xD