• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Toxtricity's missing lore

bobandbill

one more time
Years
This builds both on the SwSh games, and the recent leaks for them!

Toxtricity strikes me as a curious Pokemon. It has two Gigantamax forms, which already is an impressive one more than Charizard. Or any other Pokemon for that matter. Toxel, its pre-evolution, is the token Gift Egg Pokemon for the generation, despite also appearing in the wild. And it has a statue by the lighthouse. And-that's it?

Well, there's more to be made of it - there's a decent argument to be made that the pattern inscribed on the hill by Turffield is G-max Toxtricity, and the statue along with that clearly indicates it should have more lore importance. And there's evidence hence that Gmax Toxtricity had to do with the Darkest Day... which is also something that we really do not learn much about in SwSh, a game with clearly some corners cut and rushed events in the latter half, particularly between gyms 6-8.

And then the leaks happened. And look at this:
betastatues.jpeg

At the point where the camera suspicious pans at a boring old cliff, which you pass when you hear about Pokemon randomly dynamaxing before you just find out Leon saved the day off-screen, was supposed to be a very large Toxtricity. Evidently, its Gigantamax form was to be revealed here, not in a post-launch raid event.

Shoutout to this reddit thread too which evidenty did a very good prediction job (well before the recent leaks!): https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/ef6jy3/we_were_supposed_to_battle_gigantamax_toxtricity/

So basically - an article on all of the above but with more words and better structuring, putting forth that Toxtricity has missing involvement in the story, and perhaps had plans to be hyped up more (think it being Galar's version of Lucario or Zoroark, a popular mascot humonoid-shaped Pokemon).

Thoughts, input, etc?

Years
Yes to the article idea, and to the points you made. I didn't even think about the parallels that Toxtricity shares with Lucario and Zoroark. It feels like Toxtricity is a distant memory after the DLCs came out, but it's a good point that the game also got updated a few months after SwSh came out to include G-Max Toxtricity.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Yes to the article idea, and to the points you made. I didn't even think about the parallels that Toxtricity shares with Lucario and Zoroark. It feels like Toxtricity is a distant memory after the DLCs came out, but it's a good point that the game also got updated a few months after SwSh came out to include G-Max Toxtricity.
Yeah, 'distant memory' is right. A post-game event on the same level as others (e.g. Shiny Magikar, the Mewtwo raid event) doesn't help it stand out too much.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 20, 2021
I really loved Toxtricity, it quickly flew into my top 10 when I first saw it. The leaks make sense honestly, it felt like Toxtricity was definitely meant to be a bigger deal than what it ended up being.

SwSh also seems to have have a lot of nods to punk culture, and I think Toxtricity fits right in with that theme. Would have loved to see him tied in with that a bit more!

Back