• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone ever completed a living dex?

Years
A living Pokédex is a fan term for a game which not only has a complete Pokédex, but has one of every available species of Pokémon stored in its PC boxes as well, usually in their National Pokédex order. It follows the most literal interpretation of the slogan of the series, "Gotta catch 'em all!".

This is a huge and time-consuming undertaking, but one some people get super into. Have you ever completed a living dex? If not, would you ever want to, or do you prefer to admire from afar?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jun 21, 2021
I've always tried to complete a living dex, but I never quite get there. I think the closest I ever got was with Sapphire. I thought with the Pokemon Bank I'd finally be able to get there, but nope. Still trying xD Now I'm thinking I'll be able to do it with fan made games. (Still haven't lol) Some day!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
Just completing the Pokedex alone was a very stressful undertaking. I'd never even consider getting every evolutionary stage as a "living" species, as well.

But I've seen these crazy maniacs: The kind that's not just satisfied with getting one living dex. I've seen at least one person getting:
- a living dex
- a living shiny dex
- a living Unown dex and
- a living shiny Unown dex

Now that's some dedication!

I wonder if someone wants to take up the challenge for a living Spinda dex. :P

Years
Yep. I have one for XY, one for USUM and recently got one for SwSh. It's fun to have even though for the latter I'm not focused on keeping any one particular file.

Years
I've always tried to complete a living dex, but I never quite get there. I think the closest I ever got was with Sapphire. I thought with the Pokemon Bank I'd finally be able to get there, but nope. Still trying xD Now I'm thinking I'll be able to do it with fan made games. (Still haven't lol) Some day!

Lol this was my thought when bank came out too! In the end it never happened, and may not ever happen oof

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Oct 31, 2023
I don't really like catching that much Pokémon, even in official games, I only have like one box of Pokémon I used on my team before. The most boxes of random Pokémon I got is in Pokémon Unbound, my 1st ever completed ROM hack and it was AMAZING. It had so much Pokémon from other Generations that I caught I a lot of them.

Years
I tried during Gen 7 but got bored after I completed Kanto, Johto and most of Hoenn. I still have it in my Pokemon Bank but I don't think I'll ever go back to try and finish it.

However I do have a complete regional living Pokedex in my White 2 since it's my favorite game and I wanted to have a full living Pokedex in my favorite game. It's not as impressive as a full national living Pokedex but it's still not easy to do since Black 2 and White 2 Unova Pokedex still has 300 Pokemon in it and I'm actually quite proud that I have it completed.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I did it once in Diamond out of sheer boredom and the desire to do it at least once. Overall, complete waste of time as you receive nothing of use for quite a large task.

Years
Yeah I did try myself, albeit very briefly... I quickly realized how tedious it would be :( but now with bank/home it's easier to manage them, except I'm still too lazy. especially now with so many Pokémon haha.

Years
never even bothered. when i realized that all you get in most games for completing the dex is a piece of paper saying "congratulations" and some shoddy design, i noped right out lol.

Years
i haven't, and i have zero interest in doing so. heck it's only recently that i even bothered to want to complete the regional dexes for the shiny charm! kudos to those people who are dedicated enough to start + finish a living dex, though.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 29, 2021
I almost did it in Lets go Eevee as the game just throws Pokemon at you.

I also did a Professor Oak's pseudo-living sex challenge for Diamond.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i've considered doing one, but i just don't have the time. if ever my life aligned in such a way that i had the time to sink into that, it's something i would like to do. i like to complete the dex so this would be fun to me and adds another layer of difficulty.

ninestarryskies

Olivine City Outskirts Resident
Years
My living dex is complete in a way. I did get the Home Original Color Magearna, but i also do not have all the forms and gender differences yet. I've been working on this on and off since.. geeze, probably since DPPT!

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
Trying to create a Living Dex in Ultra Sun right now, hopefully I can at least get every non-mythical Pokémon

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I tried to using Pokémon Bank to better organize everything, but I realized how many Pokémon I'd have to re-obtain, such as the first and middle stages of most evolutionary lines. I completed the Pokedex in XY and ORAS, then completed the Galar Pokedex in SwSh. That was enough work for me.

Years
I managed to complete a living dex in Alpha Sapphire thanks to the PC's Trade Corner. It was about 5 years ago. I still have that save file backed up somewhere. I was also playing with the idea of making a shiny living dex in Ultra Moon, but I haven't been bored enough to start it.

pkmin3033

I have done this five times, in gens IV - VII and Let's Go Pikachu...although Gen VII kinda doesn't really count because I just transferred over the majority of it from my Gen VI living dex...which I still need to rebuild. It's something I enjoy doing because it gets me more time out of the games than I otherwise would have, and it's oddly satisfying as well. Whilst it's not a make-or-break thing for me (in Gen VIII I only completed the base game Pokedex and left it at that) it's just something fun to do, especially now that it's easier to do than it used to be thanks to the internet and not needing link cables.

Back