• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Legends: Arceus] What do you think of the graphics?

Years
How do you feel about the graphics so far? Are you impressed, unimpressed, or in between? Are there any particular details you noticed in the trailer that you were or weren't a fan of?

pkmin3033

Unimpressed. That lifelessly bobbing Chingling, the wide empty spaces, the blur...ugh. Whilst I think we will get a game of a slightly high visual quality than Sword and Shield, that isn't saying much at all, and the sense I get from the trailer is one of Game Freak overreaching their capabilities. Again. I know, the trailer isn't necessarily going to reflect the visuals of the final product, but let's face it: it probably does. And honestly, it doesn't matter what the game looks like, it's the open world Pokemon game people have been wanting for years without realising exactly what that is going to look like, so it's going to be critically acclaimed and worshipped even if it looks exactly like Sword and Shield. They don't need to polish it much beyond what they've shown, so they won't.

Years
^Yeah, I get that point. :x The Chingling had very noticeable stutter/delay, I'm hopeful that won't actually be present in the final release.

The graphics themselves I'm fine with, I actually find them pretty nice for the most part! But I really wish they could make Pokémon more expressive in these games, especially since they're all about exploration and focus on your surroundings/Pokémon. Bonking them with Poké Balls and not seeing the nearby ones react at all definitely makes the whole thing seem a bit stiff and lifeless. Still, it's the early days and we have more previews to see later, so hopefully it won't be as glaring.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 28, 2021
To be honest, I was blown away in a positive way. I reckon it looks amazing!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
hmm, First impression it looks amazing, because we've never seen a pokemon game like this.

But the colors/textures are kind of muddy looking. I'd say it has the same lack of contrast problems in the other new gen 4 remake.
Needs better lighting and shading.

Which is weird to me, because that's a problem that doesn't at all exist in pokemon snap.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
as someone who loved the bright flat aesthetic of LGPE, this looks like a similar thing but with more detailed textures. i'll take it! at very least it seems SO much better than what the dppt remakes are slated to look like

Years
I'd have to say I'm undecided still. I'm happy that it seems to be an improvement on SwSh and the whole wild area fiasco, I still feel like they're a little off.
When I look at a game like Breath of the Wild, I'm just in awe of how pretty it all is. When I look at the LoA trailer I notice all the low res textures, and I feel like that's because it's trying to look too realistic. If they'd gone with a more lax cartoon-y style (think BotW, not BDSP) then they could've gotten away with the low res textures instead.

All in all I'm hoping that they clean up some of the textures and animations in the year+ that they've still got to work on this because it has a hell of a lot of potential

Years
Personally, everything I saw look aesthetically really nice and it gave me the vibe of a middle ground between SwSh and BotW that I really like. There might be a couple of small specific things that could be improved on, but there's time to fix them up before release and they aren't major enough to impact my enjoyment anyway.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Considering that it may still change before release, I was very pleased with what we saw. I'm super excited for this game. Mainly because even if the graphics weren't the best, I've been wanting this kind of Pokémon game for YEARS, and I will gladly take it. <3

Pixel64

Stan LOOΠΔ!
Years
I liked the watercolour-esque grass near the Piplups. The only graphical things that I found jarring were the wild Pokémon's low frame rates. I also wouldn't mind if the lighting wasn't so harsh. I really like the prospect of being able to look up and see the looming Mt. Coronet at any time during your journey.

Years
personally, i liked it. I have heard that this game will perform really good just on a new switch pro, but idc tbh. What I REALLY want from those games is a new kind of gameplay and more and more and more focus on the story

Years
certainly interesting, for sure! i'm leaning towards liking it quite a bit myself, but im waiting to see more of the game's world + the battles to really form a solid opinion.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
It's a question of reference, I think.

Compared to Sword and Shield? I haven't played the game, but from the gameplay I've seen, it certainly looks like a technical improvement.

Compared to high tier Switch games (like BotW or Odyssey)? It's ... not great. To me the models looks plasticky and the games looks poorly optimized.

Still, if we take it for a prototype that might change until release, it certainly looks promising.

Years
I think it is hard to critize a game that has nearly a year to come out. The people crying about framerate and draw distance need some new hobbies... If we get gameplay footage like this in Autumn then, yes, bitch and moan, but as of now, seems like a waste of energy.

Edit: It is also likely to release with or near the Switch Pro which should have an easier time powering the game.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
idk I'm kinda doubtful; on the framerate thing, they chose to show us that.
It's not like these releases aren't meticulously planned events. Someone picked through the footage and included
those bad scenes anyway.

and if that wasn't just one bad thing they somehow missed then you'd have to assume its actually par the course and a good degree
of the game is like that.

maybe the new system would improve performance, but unless there's two separate discs, one for pro & one for switch
that'll just further inflate the price point for the game especially if it can only run reasonably on the new system.

I don't really have much else to say on this, that I haven't said in previous comments in this thread, so I'll leave it at that.

Back