• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Monotype Challenge Re:Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
User:Lugiafan123
Type: Bug
Game(s):Firered,SoulSilver,Emerald,Diamond,White 2,Y,Ultra moon
Single / Ultimate: ultimate

Putting my poison run on hold after the updated rules made my choice of type no longer viable for me. This run in particular has an additinal stipulation and that is that hacking in pokemon is not allowed.
Hence why I've picked the bug type for the ultimate run. Out of all the types available with the no hacking stipulation Bug seemed the most fun. Though it will be pretty difficult. Especially for Sinnoh and kanto.

As I'd mentioned in the post where I updated the rules, runs started before the rule update can still use the old rules if they wanted. In your case, go up to gym 3 without hacking, which should make Gen V possible.

The goal of the rule change was to make things more fun for the people who can hack or trade (since soloing with a starter until you can actually get a starter is a bit ehh) but actually playing is more fun than not playing at all, so if you can't trade or hack, you can still go with the old ruling.

So, let me know if you're still gonna go with this Bug Ultimate or if you're gonna go back to the Poison and when I update the OP, I'll make this ruling clearer.

Years
As I'd mentioned in the post where I updated the rules, runs started before the rule update can still use the old rules if they wanted. In your case, go up to gym 3 without hacking, which should make Gen V possible.

The goal of the rule change was to make things more fun for the people who can hack or trade (since soloing with a starter until you can actually get a starter is a bit ehh) but actually playing is more fun than not playing at all, so if you can't trade or hack, you can still go with the old ruling.

So, let me know if you're still gonna go with this Bug Ultimate or if you're gonna go back to the Poison and when I update the OP, I'll make this ruling clearer.

Probably gonna go with the bug ultimate because I actually would prefer Bug over poison. Gonna start with Firered. And I have checked. You can get a bug type every gen pre gym 1.
Kanto has caterpie/weedle
Same for johto
Hoenn has wurmple
sinnoh has kricketot
Unova has sewaddle (only in the sequels)
Kalos has caterpie/weedle
Alola has Caterpie

P.S Sorry for any inconvenience

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Username: Ahri
Type: Poison
Challenge Type: Ultimate
Games: Red, Soul Silver, Omega Ruby, Platinum, White 2, X, Sun, Shield

I have a slight issue with White 2 as the 1st Poison type encounter is AFTER the 1st gym battle(to my knowledge). I'm playing all the games on my 3DS and Switch respectively on legitimate copies so there'll be no hacking for me. Is it ok if I push the goal(of getting my 1st pokemon of my chosen type) to the 2nd gym in White 2 only? Thanks!

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years

I have a slight issue with White 2 as the 1st Poison type encounter is AFTER the 1st gym battle(to my knowledge). I'm playing all the games on my 3DS and Switch respectively on legitimate copies so there'll be no hacking for me. Is it ok if I push the goal(of getting my 1st pokemon of my chosen type) to the 2nd gym in White 2 only? Thanks!
Pretty sure the hacking/trading in Pokemon before the first gym is optional - the OP says "may".

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023

Yup. Like jdthebud mentioned, it's optional so you can have more time playing in your given type and less time doing a solo run with one of the starters. If it's not possible for whatever reason, feel free to extend the capture a bit later.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
Pretty sure the hacking/trading in Pokemon before the first gym is optional - the OP says "may".

Yup. Like jdthebud mentioned, it's optional so you can have more time playing in your given type and less time doing a solo run with one of the starters. If it's not possible for whatever reason, feel free to extend the capture a bit later.

Thanks guys!

I started with Red so might as well post an update.

Named myself Ven for lack of name ideas, named rival Blue.
Picked Bulbasaur.
Did all the beginning stuff. Bought some pokeballs and then went to Viridian Forest where I caught a Weedle.
Proceeded to box Weedle when I remembered there's a ton of Poison types in Gen 1 and that I could catch a Nidoran♂ on Route 22.
Went to Route 22 and caught said Nidoran.
Went to the Pokemon Centre and healed and that's where I stopped for now.

Badges: N/A
Team:

Bulbasaur
Level 10
Tackle|Growl|Leech Seed

Nidoran♂
Level 3
Leer|Tackle​

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 16, 2023
I started a flying single challenge on Alpha Sapphire almost two years ago but never got to finishing it because of life. I see that my name is still in the challengers list, I would like it to be removed please as I dropped the challenge, sorry for any inconvenience.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Dec 18, 2022
User: Obichu
Type: Normal
Games: FireRed, HeartGold, Emerald, Platinum, Black, Y, Ultra Moon
Single/Ultimate: Ultimate

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
Dragon Type Run Update 1

1.PNG

2.PNG

From left to right: Roxy, Moseby, Blu, Empire, Soug, GILF, Bamboozle, Aureo, Linkin Park, Yoshi, Gibby, Razz

So, this run has been interesting- I decided to use eggs only, they have no real bias towards whether they have hidden ability or not (Only Moseby has Hidden Ability)

The first Pokemon I hatched was Drampa, the second was Noibat. Duraludon was a VERY early game get, like before Milo, and that was an INCREDIBLE snatch. Milo and Nessa were easy, Turtonator swept Kabu with Body Presses and Iron Defenses, Alister actually kicked my ass with G-Max Gengar, and Opal's fucking Togekiss nearly killed my entire team- thank God I had Empire in case.

Right now Auron just swept through Hop on Route 7, like after so many useless levels as an Axew it just woke up and chose MURDER, it's great.
Next up is Melony- I kinda really wanted to hatch Jangmo-o right now, but, alas. I suppose Empire, Koopa-hime, Yoshi and Dummy Thicc will have to do.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Dec 18, 2022
Hey, I need a quick clarification on the rules:
I'm doing a normal type run, and want to use Ditto. Would you still consider it a Normal type if it transforms into something else?

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
Hey, I need a quick clarification on the rules:
I'm doing a normal type run, and want to use Ditto. Would you still consider it a Normal type if it transforms into something else?

Yup. Ditto is a normal type and can be used in Normal type runs.

Same thing applies to Smeargle if it sketches Transform, and Keckleon (but with Color Change / Protean). As well as anything that wants to use Camouflage or the Conversions.

I think those are all the non-legend non-mega ways to change types, but if I missed anything just let me know.

(In case you're wondering why Megas that lose the type aren't allowed, it's because it doesn't take a turn or move slot, comes with a BST boost, you can plan exactly what move set you want, when you want to change types and you get to cheese the AI on the turn of your mega evolution. It also only happens on 4 Pokémon and they are all at least a little bit broken.)

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Dec 18, 2022
view

So, Pokemon FireRed is complete. Sorry about the GeForce overlay in the picture, it was being dumb and thought I wanted a picture of it. Brock was a pain, because the only things I had were Pidgey, Spearow, and Rattata, but after that it was smooth sailing. It took roughly 64 hours game time, luckily I was on an emulator so I could speed up the grinding. I'm moving on to HeartGold soon, so wish me luck there.

Also, in case anyone's interested in the team: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dTl7heoR9A7qg6hfHKW_AZrsrzVULomI?usp=sharing

mjb8910

mjb8910
Years
So far the challenge is off to a good start. Started with Froakie. Went through the Santalune Forest and caught a Fletchling, Scatterbug and Pidgey. Grinded my way through to Santalune City. Caught a Bunnelby and traded it for Quacklin' the Farfetch'd. Went and beat the trainers on Route 22 and evolved my Scatterbug into Spewpa. Challenged the gym and beat Viola. Spewpa evolved in Vivillon. I have never used Kantonian Farfetch'd as I believe it's a terrible Pokemon but it came with Aerial Ace when I acquired it. Next I went to Lumiose City and made it to Sycamore's lab. I beat him and chose Charmander. Not sure if I will use him or not as I can't mega evolve it as Charizard X is not a flying type. Anyways I am not looking forward to facing Grant's gym but there are lots of good options to catch along the way to Cyllage City.

I lucked out when I caught these pokemon with their natures

Level 15

Jolly

Return
Gust
Sand Attack
Quick Attack

Level 12

Jolly

Leer
Fury Cutter
Fury Attack
Aerial Ace

Level 16

Adamant

Quick Attack
Agility
Peck
Swords Dance

Level 15

Timid

Tackle
Struggle Bug
Stun Spore
Protect

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
Ultimate Electric Monotype
Fire Red | Soul Silver | Omega Ruby | Platinum | Black | X | Ultra Sun​

Hey there. Been a while.

Update #1 - Final
Spoiler:

Team
Spoiler:

Next time, probably Black. I hate playing the Unova games, so let's get this out of the way as quickly as possible.

RebeccaRain43

Dark Queen
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 13, 2022
User:RebeccaRain43
Type: Electric
Game(s): Fire Red, Heart Gold, Omega Ruby, Diamond, White, Y, Ultra Sun, Sword
Single / Ultimate: Ultimate

RebeccaRain43

Dark Queen
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Oct 13, 2022
Started Fire Red and got Sparky the Pikachu in Viridian Forest. Trained up to level 15 and then attempted Brock using Double Team, Tail Whip and Quick Attack and actually won on my first try so that's neat now for the easy part haha. Got through Mt.moon and took on my rival then Misty and got my second badge without overleveling. Took out all trainers I could find and then headed for the SS.Anne.

Sparky (Mild Pikachu) LvL 28
Double Team
Thunderbolt
Slam
Thunder Wave

FR(2/8)
HG(0/16)
OR(0/8)
D(0/8)
W(0/8)
Y(0/8)
US(0/11)
SW(0/8)

Last edited:

nikkissippi121

Pokémon Professor
Years
User: nikkissippi121
Type: Bug
Game(s): Shield
Single / Ultimate: Single

I've just started and so far I have a Blipbug named Stellaro and a Grubbin named Ampi. Right now I'm just working on getting their levels up... they're level 3 and 2 respectively at the moment.

Update: Made it to Motostoke! Picked up a level 18 (at the time) Joltik named Voltara on the way from a den. Stellaro also evolved into a Dottler. I spent some time training up some more and now their levels are: 12 for Stellaro, 11 for Ampi, and 19 for Voltara.

Update 2: Made it to Turffield and beat the gym! My team is now: Stellaro the Dottler (level 18), Ampi the Grubbin (level 18), Voltara the Joltik (level 22) and Scorch the Sizzlipede (level 18).

Update 3: Nessa's down! Team is: Voltara the Joltik (level 26), Stellaro the Dottler (level 22), Scorch the Sizzlipede (level 21), Hiki the Nincada (level 19), and Orbub the Dewpider (level 19).

Update 4: Done with Kabu. Team is: Voltara the Joltik (level 29), Stellaro the Dottler (level 27), Scorch the Sizzlipede (level 26), Quinn the Vespiquen (level 28), Orbub the Araquanid (level 28), and Yio the Shedinja (level 24).

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
Ultimate Electric Monotype
Fire Red | Soul Silver | Alpha Sapphire | Platinum | Black | X | Ultra Sun​

Oops. Ended up doing Hoenn.

Update #1 - Final
Spoiler:

Team
Spoiler:

Ok, so, next time, probably Unova for real. Although I'll probably do Bingo in Sinnoh to try out BDSP first ...

nikkissippi121

Pokémon Professor
Years
I've beaten Allister! The team is: Voltara the Galvantula (level 37), Stellaro the Orbeetle (level 34), Scorch the Centiskorch (level 34), Quinn the Vespiquen (level 35), Orbub the Araquanid (level 35), and Yio the Shedinja (level 32).

Update: Also beat Opal. Team: Voltara the Galvantula (level 40), Stellaro the Orbeetle (level 37), Scorch the Centiskorch (level 38), Quinn the Vespiquen (level 38), Orbub the Araquanid (level 37), and Yio the Shedinja (level 34).

Update 2: Melony down. Team: Voltara the Galvantula (level 45), Stellaro the Orbeetle (level 42), Scorch the Centiskorch (level 44), Quinn the Vespiquen (level 42), Orbub the Araquanid (level 42), and Blizza the Snom (level 42).

Update 3: Beat Piers. Team: Voltara the Galvantula (level 50), Stellaro the Orbeetle (level 47), Scorch the Centiskorch (level 48), Quinn the Vespiquen (level 47), Orbub the Araquanid (level 47), and Blizza the Snom (level 46).

Update 4: And we've beaten Raihan! Team: Voltara the Galvantula (level 54), Stellaro the Orbeetle (level 52), Scorch the Centiskorch (level 52), Quinn the Vespiquen (level 52), Orbub the Araquanid (level 53), and Blizza the Snom (level 52).

Update 5: Leon has been beaten and I'm the new Galar Champion! Here's the rundown on my final team:
Scorch the Centiskorch – level 62 – Flame Wheel, Fire Lash, Bug Bite, Crunch
Stellaro the Orbeetle – level 59 – Struggle Bug, Confusion, Energy Ball, Psychic
Voltara the Galvantula – level 61 – X-Scissor, Electroweb, Bug Buzz, Electro Ball
Quinn the Vespiquen – level 59 – Attack Order, Power Gem, Beat Up, Air Slash
Orbub the Araquanid – level 61 – Bug Bite, Crunch, Bubble Beam, Liquidation
Blizza the Frosmoth – level 60 – Powder Snow, Avalanche, Icicle Spear, Icy Wind

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back