• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Fandoms] Through the Stars: A Scifi club

Years

Through the Stars: A Sci-fi Club

Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future. You are interested in the unknown, the mysterious, the unexplainable. That is why you are here.

Time travel, robots and androids, outer space exploration, aliens, mecha, dystopian futures, virtual reality, radioactive creatures, top secret laboratories, mad scientists, their experiments and more. This club is designated for fans of novels, comic books, films, art, videogames, anime and all other forms of media and entertainment with a science fiction theme.

This starship launches in T minus 5 minutes. We don't discriminate, droids, mutants, klingons, human. We are all one family here. If you are interested in joining the crew answer me this- What are some of your favorite entries into the sci-fi genre?

I myself have always loved a lot of older sci-fi flicks. I like 1979 movie Alien, John Carpenter's The Thing (1982), Star Wars--preferably the original trilogy, the 1982 film Blade Runner, Dark City and I enjoy watching reruns of the 1960s Twilight Zones and also the new Outer Limits. My all-time favorite animes are Cowboy Bebop and Gankutsuo. I liked The Promised Neverland too.

Captain: VisionofMilotic
Crew: Caite-Chan, Ash Ketchup, Rekoil, Megan, Fairy, Doctor

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
Oooo yes finally!

I think everyone knows by now how much I love my Star Trek and Data...lol. I love both Tron movies and just reading about futuristic things. I mean the Pokémon region I've been working on for what seems like forever is based on past and future.

Years
Sci-fi? Count me in!!!

I love nearly all of it. All the usual stuff - I'm a massive Star Wars nerd, and love Star Trek (especially TNG) - but also Doctor Who, V, BTTF, Predator, anything Godzilla and MCU, I also love watching old b-movies... actually just about all sci-fi tbth.

Years
Beam me up, Scotty Milotic ^.^
I've seen quite a bit of Sci-Fi movies/series and played a decent chunk of games too.

I've seen Star Trek & Star Wars (not all of either though) and not a huge fan tbh.
Stargate on the other hand is easily one of my favorite TV-shows. SG-1 & Atlantis were amazing.

Doctor Who is also one of my favorite TV-shows 😁 Watched it's spinoffs too.

For games the Mass Effect series (excluding Andromeda as I never played it, I mean ME 1 through 3), Dead Space series & No Man's Sky come to mind.
There's also the Bioshock games, The Outer Worlds, Portal, Half Life, Universe at War: Earth Assault. Think the Command & Conquer series mostly qualifies too (mainly unsure about Generals/ZH).

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I'll join, as well!

For me the most memorable show growing up was Stargate SG1. The first couple seasosn in particular I watched a ton, over and over again. I could never warm up to Atlantis or Universe, though.

Star Wars I liked more back in the day, but nowadays not so much. Star Trek I haven't watched a lot. But I remember Picard being my favorite among the captains, though. I remember watching a bunch of the Andromeda series and really liking it.

The first Hitchhikers Guide book was really good. I never went beyond that one, though.

Cowboy Bebop and Eva being some obvious anime series. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is still my favorite anime series of all time, though. I still want to get into Ghost in the Shell at some point. I'm a little torn on the Gundam series. That series can be very dry, especially when they stat talking about space politics. xD

My favorite Scifi game series is the Xeno series. That is Xenogears, Xenosaga and Xenoblade. I'm still bummed that I can't get my hands on the Xenosaga games due to them not being released in Europe (except for the second game for some reason, since they all tell one continuous story) and emulation not being an option for me (old PS2 games).

Years
First mission.

It's a long journey through space, and sometimes as we travel it's nice to have a way to pass the long hours. Here's a *captain's challenge* that anyone who feels up to it can participate in. Share a music track you like from any sci-fi themed content!

I'm going to get the playlist for our expedition started with this opening from Outlaw Star.

Oooo yes finally!

I think everyone knows by now how much I love my Star Trek and Data...lol. I love both Tron movies and just reading about futuristic things. I mean the Pokémon region I've been working on for what seems like forever is based on past and future.

Live long and prosper Caite-Chan! I am happy to update my captain's log and record that you joined our personnel! I may not be the expert you sound like you might be, but I have enjoyed my fair share of Star Trek Next Generation, the Original series and some of the newer movies. I am very intrigued by this idea of your fan made Pokemon region dealing with the future and as past. Is it more like a region with a steampunk or another hybrid genre that combines things of the past with the future, or we talking time travelling between the between past in future in the region? Hanging on every word.

Sci-fi? Count me in!!!

I love nearly all of it. All the usual stuff - I'm a massive Star Wars nerd, and love Star Trek (especially TNG) - but also Doctor Who, V, BTTF, Predator, anything Godzilla and MCU, I also love watching old b-movies... actually just about all sci-fi tbth.

May the Force be with you Taylor! These are some great choices! You know Star Wars might just be my favorite sci fi fandom. You are now a fully-fledged member. I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who gets a kick out of grade b scifi movies and other cult classics with low budgets, exaggerated acting and monsters. The kind of things that would be on mystery science theater.
Beam me up, Scotty Milotic ^.^
I've seen quite a bit of Sci-Fi movies/series and played a decent chunk of games too.

I've seen Star Trek & Star Wars (not all of either though) and not a huge fan tbh.
Stargate on the other hand is easily one of my favorite TV-shows. SG-1 & Atlantis were amazing.

Doctor Who is also one of my favorite TV-shows 😁 Watched it's spinoffs too.

For games the Mass Effect series (excluding Andromeda as I never played it, I mean ME 1 through 3), Dead Space series & No Man's Sky come to mind.
There's also the Bioshock games, The Outer Worlds, Portal, Half Life, Universe at War: Earth Assault. Think the Command & Conquer series mostly qualifies too (mainly unsure about Generals/ZH).

Just taught you the TM for ice beam.

Oh, you want the other kind of beam? Ok, let me give you hand. There you are in the transporter! We couldn't take off without you Rekoil! A warm welcome aboard, and coming with such a wide collection of sci fi for discussion on our voyage. Awesome!

I haven't seen as much Doctor Who as I should, but I have loved what I have seen of it on BBC One, and you're making me hungry for some more.

I'll join, as well!

For me the most memorable show growing up was Stargate SG1. The first couple seasosn in particular I watched a ton, over and over again. I could never warm up to Atlantis or Universe, though.

Star Wars I liked more back in the day, but nowadays not so much. Star Trek I haven't watched a lot. But I remember Picard being my favorite among the captains, though. I remember watching a bunch of the Andromeda series and really liking it.

The first Hitchhikers Guide book was really good. I never went beyond that one, though.

Cowboy Bebop and Eva being some obvious anime series. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is still my favorite anime series of all time, though. I still want to get into Ghost in the Shell at some point. I'm a little torn on the Gundam series. That series can be very dry, especially when they stat talking about space politics. xD

My favorite Scifi game series is the Xeno series. That is Xenogears, Xenosaga and Xenoblade. I'm still bummed that I can't get my hands on the Xenosaga games due to them not being released in Europe (except for the second game for some reason, since they all tell one continuous story) and emulation not being an option for me (old PS2 games).

Exquisite taste! You are picking some nice introspective series. I forgot to mention Evangelion, love the music and characters. Now Xenosaga brings back some beautiful memories of when I did own a ps2. I have seen some Gundam, I thought G Gundam was alright, but Gundam Wing looks a little more interesting to me and I wouldn't mind seeing some of that.

I have saved you a seat here near the control panel. You will make a great addition to the crew!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024

More Star Trek...lol. They've done a fantastic job of doing each theme and I can always listen to it on repeat. The Futro Region is a combination of past and what could be future but in the present. It literally started out as a utopia that I needed to give a problem to. Unlike most people who base their regions off of places in the world mine isn't. Towns are considered the past while cities are considered the future. I've been working on it for years...lol. The link in my sig leads to the thread that I made but most and all the info that I have right now is organized in a Google Doc. :D

Years
I like the entire SG Atlantis soundtrack, but it's kinda lengthy so maybe just listen to the first two tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPFrMDoCyCI

I'll join, as well!

Ah yes SG Universe.... I sometimes forget that one even exists. Watched a couple episodes and didn't like it, so I dropped it =p

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
This one always comes to my mind first when thinking about SciFi music:

And when talking about 90s anime openings let's not forget this one:

Ah yes SG Universe.... I sometimes forget that one even exists. Watched a couple episodes and didn't like it, so I dropped it =p
I also only watched one, maybe two episodes and didn't really like it. I suppose the idea of an Odyssey in space isn't too bad but after two series that worked very well with the home base approach is just felt very weird. The cast I barely even remember which is never a good sign. ^^"
Then again I also didn't get much out of the Atlantis cast. But I do know it was pretty popular.

Years
To space cadets,

I was wondering if any of you would be interested in read-along events for our new club?

The idea came to me while I was re-reading George Orwell's 1984 the night before yesterday -- which came into the public domain recently. I started thinking about a great many classics in Sci-fi literature that would also be free to read, from the writings of H.G. Wells to Mary Shelley. This way if members didn't have copies in their own collection or couldn't check them out from the local library, I would be able to link to electronic copies or audiobooks without any copyright issue. With Halloween on the way next month it could be a good time to as a group read some science fiction with horror elements like Frankenstein or Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Another possiblity is a more general sci-fi reading challenge. Where you highlight a sci-fi book of your own choosing, and post your thoughts on it.

Readers could upgrade in rank like from crewman/woman to lieutenant, commander etc as you read books. Maybe unlock a special badge that's just associated with the science fiction club the way the cat club has it's own? Just toying with a few ideas.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
To space cadets,

I was wondering if any of you would be interested in read-along events for our new club?

The idea came to me while I was re-reading George Orwell's 1984 the night before yesterday -- which came into the public domain recently. I started thinking about a great many classics in Sci-fi literature that would also be free to read, from the writings of H.G. Wells to Mary Shelley. This way if members didn't have copies in their own collection or couldn't check them out from the local library, I would be able to link to electronic copies or audiobooks without any copyright issue. With Halloween on the way next month it could be a good time to as a group read some science fiction with horror elements like Frankenstein or Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Another possiblity is a more general sci-fi reading challenge. Where you highlight a sci-fi book of your own choosing, and post your thoughts on it.

Readers could upgrade in rank like from crewman/woman to lieutenant, commander etc as you read books. Maybe unlock a special badge that's just associated with the science fiction club the way the cat club has it's own? Just toying with a few ideas.
I have no problems with that and would like some change in the things I'm reading (don't know why I decided to go through all of Jules Verne's works, it's a lot!). I've already read through Frankenstein and have at least listened to a program on the radio reading Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. It actually never occurred to me that they are science fiction, but I guess they are. ^^"

However, it's good to know that 1984 is public domain. That book has been popping up as a topic here and there in recent times (mostly political stuff) and I'm kinda curious about it. (Reminds me that I also wanted to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey at some point...)

I'd be fine with both of those ideas. ^-^

Years
I'm not sure if I'd have to the time for it tbh. During a normal week: Work + PC Browse + Shiny Breed = time for bed again xD
Might be possible if the pace isn't too high I guess ^.^

Haven't really read anything in quite a while tbh.

Years
To space cadets,

I would really love to take part in this, but I might not be able to though.

I already had developmental issues that make my reading glacially slow, and now my recent brain issues have made it almost impossible to read a book. I haven't been able to read one in a couple of years now unfortunately. If it were films, that would be far easier for me, but I completely understand why that is not feasible!

I will try my best to take part, but I really can't promise anything :)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I would really love to take part in this, but I might not be able to though.

I already had developmental issues that make my reading glacially slow, and now my recent brain issues have made it almost impossible to read a book. I haven't been able to read one in a couple of years now unfortunately. If it were films, that would be far easier for me, but I completely understand why that is not feasible!

I will try my best to take part, but I really can't promise anything :)
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to just watch some movies and then talk about them in a sort of review. Especially if that's easier for you!

For example: while the other people read Frankenstein, you could watch a different Frankenstein movie each week or so and then kinda review them in a spoiler free way. If others prefer watching movies, they could also just do the same, too. :)

It's more a matter of everyone just doing something that fits the theme.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I've been wanting to read more HG Wells and EM Forester. I tried listening to The Machine Stops but it just wasn't doing it. I get to distracted as opposed to reading it myself.

Years
Completed our first mission with an epic music selection! Thanks y'all for the nice beats. I'm adding one more track for the journey, Duel of Fates. I think The Star Wars prequels were flawed, yet they always ended with a great final battle between good and evil right at the climax of the film, a scene that was suspenseful, thrilling and beautifully choreographed with a powerful score like you hear here, a fight you were invested in. I wish Lucas hadn't sold to Disney.

This week I have a new question for my crew.

*Question/Mission: Smuggling any special cargo on our vessel, or even a stowaway? This is an invitation to share any sci-fi memorabilia/merch you have ;)

I have a wookie traveling with me. He roars and sniffs you, chuckles, belches, and does all sorts of quirky things when you rub that forehead of his or his tummy. It sure is nice to cuddle against his long silky hair. He's a sweet fella, very affectionate despite swinging his arms around from time to time when he's excited or frustrated. Sometimes when I lay him on his back when we're both good and tired from a long flight he'll just drift off to sleep and snore loudly. It's endearing to see my boy Chewbacca napping. He was always my favorite character from Star Wars.

This October I'm going to post something of the sci fi genre that we can all read. Excited to hear that Megan and Caite-Chan are both on board. I got a new badge ready just for the occasion, it's an astronaut-themed one called the Victorious Voyager.

Some of my crew has mentioned being on the fence about the challenge, which is cool. To my wonderful officers Rekoil and Ash Ketchup, I want you both to know that I'm not the kind of captain to fly off and leave anyone behind if they need a hand. When I post a book there's not going to be a deadline to read by. If you think you might want to give it a go know that you can take your time, and will be rewarded whenever you finish. Everybody is invited to read, share thoughts and ask any questions about books at their own pace.

Also you can complete the challenge different ways. I will link to a scifi book as a potential starting off point, but you can go your own way and read a different book on your choosing that might better fit into your schedule, it could even be a short story, novella, manga or comic that would be a shorter read, so long as its sci-fi it would be a mission well-done!

Last edited:
Years
Gotta show my off my Lego ideas TARDIS:
Spoiler:

Doctor Who Cybermat:
Spoiler:

Doctor Who Dalek desk protector:
Spoiler:

Tali Zorah from ME (Bishoujo I think it was):
Spoiler:

Doomguy (don't remember which game/version specifically):
Spoiler:

Portal 2 Atlas & P-body Nendoroids:
Spoiler:

Hope my cabin is big enough =D

Also have some things from Borderlands and Fallout, but wasn't really sure if they'd qualify as Sci-fi.

Attachments

• IMG_20211001_124634483.jpg
    IMG_20211001_124634483.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20211001_124738159.jpg
    IMG_20211001_124738159.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20211001_124756542.jpg
    IMG_20211001_124756542.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20211001_124819315_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211001_124819315_HDR.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20211001_124848792.jpg
    IMG_20211001_124848792.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20211001_124904690.jpg
    IMG_20211001_124904690.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20211001_125716679.jpg
    IMG_20211001_125716679.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20211001_125730735.jpg
    IMG_20211001_125730735.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20211001_130453667.jpg
    IMG_20211001_130453667.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20211001_130520130_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211001_130520130_HDR.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20211001_130554822_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211001_130554822_HDR.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20211001_130613719_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211001_130613719_HDR.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20211001_143441856.jpg
    IMG_20211001_143441856.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20211001_143451395.jpg
    IMG_20211001_143451395.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20211001_125226368.jpg
    IMG_20211001_125226368.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20211001_125240434.jpg
    IMG_20211001_125240434.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I don't really remember having a lot of Scifi stuff. I had a small Lego Star Wars set that also included a green Light Saber. Nowadays all I have left from my Lego collection are the Voltorb and Kirby I improvised when I was a kid. Kirby counts as Scifi, right? ^^"

There are certain things I'd like to get at some point. The Pyra Amiibo that we surely need to get given that she was added to Smash a while back. And I'd also like to get my hands on one of these mech gachapons (or whatever these Mecha building sets are called that you can get in Japan literally everywhere).

That is to say: I like scifi books, games and series/movies but I've never really dabbled much in the merchandise...

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I still need to take pictures of the few things that I have.

I've been working on looking for futuristic things to read. I read/listened to "The Machine Stops" by E.M. Forester. I downloaded "We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin a Russian author. I found it translated into English. The novel describes a world of harmony and conformity within a united totalitarian state. So I'll be working on reading this.

Years
The captain is back from a voyage of her own, just a survey mission, gathering data for Intel. They need to know more about the habituality of star systems outside of our own. It feels good to be back. It's like being home, seeing wonderful nendoroids, Legos and all that good stuff.

Incidentally, I have brought back some light reading from the library of my commander. This is the month of Halloween, and just because we're not on Earth right now doesn't mean we can't celebrate old traditions from my home planet, right? This is a time for things that go bump in the night!

Knowing that I am not the only one in the club who reads H. G. Wells, or at least expressed interest in reading some of his work, I say why not post a tale from the father of science-fiction himself?

Have you ever read In the Abyss? It's a short story from 1896 about a scientific expedition to the bottom of the sea, and what oddities might lurk in these dark waters.

I have included both the full text of In the Abyss in e-copy, as well an audiobook version for your convenience, because some of us may be more visual, while others might be more auditory. Two different roads to get to the same destination, depending on your preferred mode of travel.

http://www.telelib.com/authors/W/WellsHerbertGeorge/prose/plattnerstory/abyss.html

If you prefer a paper or hardback copy of In the Abyss this short story can be found in a volume of collected works by H G Wells known as The Plattner Story and Others.

I wanted to present short stories from time to time for spotlighted sci-fi reading because we all have different schedules and may read at different pace, and be in the mood for something that you can read at a fast pace. Full-length novels will also be coming should you chose to read along. I just decided to make the first challenge quickies.

In the Abyss was a new one for me, and I am glad I read it. It's not my all-time favorite science-fiction story, but I still enjoyed it, and found the descriptive writing quite beautiful, and like how it weaves this dreamy, otherworldly atmosphere while underwater. It also has nice suspense. While there is some creepiness, whether or not you consider it part of the genre horror I think will depend on your interpretation of the ending, because this is a story that's part mystery as well as sci-fi, and I think some of the events of the story are open to discussion. I have my own thoughts, but will save it for later to avoid spoilers, and I will hide any take I make with spoiler tags.

I think this one is also a safe story to start a read-along because even at it's darkest, it's still not a story that is pure nightmare fuel, and good for introductory reading that blurs the line between horror and scifi because I don't know what horror threshold everybody has since it's primarily a sci-fi club, and don't want to scare anybody too badly, if you want something with more graphic horor from H.G Wells then try The Sea Raiders instead.

I have something else on this cold day in October to share with lovers of sci-fi, fantasy and horror, a short story by Jules Verne, who is also the father of science fiction. A family can have two fathers after all! This gothic tale published in 1884 is titled Frritt-Flacc, and is definitely more paranormal than scifi, feels like an Edgar Allen Poe story. It's about a greedy doctor in a strange town called Luktrop, who gets an emergency call one night.

Frritt-Flacc will be presented in a very special way. It has it's own app, which you can download for free, and read a complete translation of in either English, Spanish or Portuguese with animated illustrations and sound affects. I thought it was a really fun idea and had to share it with you guys, it's almost like a minigame. There's also some bonus content with a short biography of Verne, discussion of the text and suggestions for science experiments.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.storymax.frrittflacc&hl=en_US&gl=US

Strangely there wasn't an option to read the text in the original French as far as I saw, but I have remedied that and included audiobook of Frritt-Flacc in it's native French out of respect for the author.

I hope you enjoy. The read-along is totally optional, if you decide to join in and comment then, awesome you win a bronze Voyager badge. You can read at any time, no deadline. If you are interested in reading, but would rather not read these particular titles then don't worry, there will be more posts with more stories and plenty of opportunities to travel. As you read, you badge will change from bronze, to silver to gold. Also as reminder you can undertake reading any science fiction title you want, and that too would count towards a badge, I am limited to posting publicly titles that would be in the public domain, but you're free to go on any adventure on your own through space and time, and am excited to hear about Yevgeny Zamyatin and EM Forester being read right now :)

Last edited:
Back