• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You Swore You Would Change!

Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
*I went through to see if this thread already existed, but I didn't see anything since the New Year. My apologies if its a repeat, though!*

Oh my gosh! It's a shiny... wait, is it? I think we've all seen some of the "shiny" versions of a Pokemon and wondered why they changed the hue by 2 points... What are some Pokemon that the shiny version didn't change much and you were disappointed? What were you hoping the shiny looked like?

Some examples I have that are extremely underwhelming (to me) would be:

slaking.png
<---- Normal | Shiny ---->
slaking.png
what I hoped for ----->
DjYwkrh.png

zapdos.png
<---- Normal | Shiny ---->
zapdos.png
what I hoped for ----->
RFPj8dI.png

There are definitely more I can think of, but I want to hear all of your thoughts as well!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 11, 2021
Let's hope that Basculegion has a better shiny form than Basculin:

Spr_5b_550.png
--
Spr_5b_550_s.png

This feels like it could be the start of a fun AI project:

• Train an algorithm to predict the colors of the shiny form from the non-shiny form
  • Use the algorithm to generate alternative color palettes these mons' shiny forms

Years
Glaceon unfortunately is barely noticeable 😭
I didn't really hope for anything specific though, just something noticeable xD

471.png
<------->
471.png

Unless you pull em side by side the difference is almost impossible to tell 😭

Years
Your examples are incredible - they look so much better, especially Zapdos. Wow!!

I'd recolor Flareon's shiny to be almost anything but the current color. It just doesn't look good. ;_; White, gray, or even a better-looking brown would be a lot nicer than this brown/orange mix.

Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Okay the Home sprites were being the biggest pain to recolor, so I moved to the more traditional sprites haha.

Let's hope that Basculegion has a better shiny form than Basculin:

Spr_5b_550.png
--
Spr_5b_550_s.png

This feels like it could be the start of a fun AI project:

• Train an algorithm to predict the colors of the shiny form from the non-shiny form
  • Use the algorithm to generate alternative color palettes these mons' shiny forms
JT3d6hf.png

sickanddullandplain, I agree! That would be a cool algorithm and I am curious as to what colors it would assign. I recolored the Basculin sprite to something I thought would be a little more vivacious. I didn't realize how close the shiny form was to the normal.

Glaceon unfortunately is barely noticeable 😭
I didn't really hope for anything specific though, just something noticeable xD

471.png
<------->
471.png

Unless you pull em side by side the difference is almost impossible to tell 😭

H5WsKGl.png

ReKoil, I dont mind Glaceon's shiny form in the older generations, but the newer designs make it almost impossible to tell (like you mentioned). I think this might be one of my favorite recolors; I'm a huge fan on taking the saturation out of certain parts of the recolor and then adding a flare. I don't know why, but I feel like dark on a Pokemon makes it look stronger and more sleek/rare.

For being the mascot pikachu really doesn't have a cool shiny.

vy5oi09.png

ZeoStar, I agree! I'm surprised it doesn't have a better shiny form. I attempted to recolor it, but I'm not gonna lie, Pikachu was hard. It's so yellow, so it was tempting to just change the saturation a bit ;_; GameFreak, I understand now!

Your examples are incredible - they look so much better, especially Zapdos. Wow!!

I'd recolor Flareon's shiny to be almost anything but the current color. It just doesn't look good. ;_; White, gray, or even a better-looking brown would be a lot nicer than this brown/orange mix.

bbPFfug.png

Sheep, thank you so much! I'm trying to get back into the art side I used to explore, so this was actually a really fun little attempt ^^ I went crazy with the colors on Flareon, but I agree, the older form was too subtle/similar in color between the fur and the body to really make it pop.

pkmin3033

I would have liked it if Garchomp had stayed closer to Gible's shiny colouring rather than basically being a slightly darker version of the original...or better yet, if it had gone black and red like Haxorus. I dislike Haxorus immensely, but I have to admit that the shiny is one of the better ones. Gengar was similarly disappointing, although I'm not sure what colour I'd want that to go...certainly not Mega Gengar's awful off-white.

Years
Okay the Home sprites were being the biggest pain to recolor, so I moved to the more traditional sprites haha.

JT3d6hf.png

sickanddullandplain, I agree! That would be a cool algorithm and I am curious as to what colors it would assign. I recolored the Basculin sprite to something I thought would be a little more vivacious. I didn't realize how close the shiny form was to the normal.

H5WsKGl.png

ReKoil, I dont mind Glaceon's shiny form in the older generations, but the newer designs make it almost impossible to tell (like you mentioned). I think this might be one of my favorite recolors; I'm a huge fan on taking the saturation out of certain parts of the recolor and then adding a flare. I don't know why, but I feel like dark on a Pokemon makes it look stronger and more sleek/rare.

vy5oi09.png

ZeoStar, I agree! I'm surprised it doesn't have a better shiny form. I attempted to recolor it, but I'm not gonna lie, Pikachu was hard. It's so yellow, so it was tempting to just change the saturation a bit ;_; GameFreak, I understand now!

bbPFfug.png

Sheep, thank you so much! I'm trying to get back into the art side I used to explore, so this was actually a really fun little attempt ^^ I went crazy with the colors on Flareon, but I agree, the older form was too subtle/similar in color between the fur and the body to really make it pop.

These are so cool! ;o; You definitely make me more motivated to get into art again. Black shinies tend to look super good and yours are no exception. <3

Have any takes on Gengar? I see Dawn's viewpoints on the colors but I think white or red would be cool for it still!

Years
im of the genuine opinion (and of the minority) that i don't really mind glaceon's shiny, but only because i don't feel that any other colour fits it besides maybe a light pink + blue combination or something

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 21, 2022
Charmander, Jigglypuff and Paras have pretty disappointing shinies imo, although shiny Charizard looks really cool. Not sure why they went for such a drastically different colour for it besides favouritism though.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Shiny Blissey looks no different than its normal one, and I'm honestly disappointed. It seems a lot of the cute pink Pokemon are like this, though? Also, Shiny Shellos East Sea. It barely changes. I think it should be made light green instead of just be a few shades different.

Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
These are so cool! ;o; You definitely make me more motivated to get into art again. Black shinies tend to look super good and yours are no exception. <3

Have any takes on Gengar? I see Dawn's viewpoints on the colors but I think white or red would be cool for it still!

I1fk8zS.png

Thank you so much, Sheep ^^ It kind of threw me back into the spriting world again, so it was really fun doing the recolors. I agree that Dawn has some awesome points. It stinks, though, because Gengar's main sprite really is just one color and a few different hues. I went ahead and tried changing it, and I'm pretty happy with it! It's making me think of a scarecrow; I think it might be the color scheme/blacked out eyes.

I would have liked it if Garchomp had stayed closer to Gible's shiny colouring rather than basically being a slightly darker version of the original...or better yet, if it had gone black and red like Haxorus. I dislike Haxorus immensely, but I have to admit that the shiny is one of the better ones. Gengar was similarly disappointing, although I'm not sure what colour I'd want that to go...certainly not Mega Gengar's awful off-white.

fn7r2Db.png

I agree on the black and white! I kept the shiny this time similar to Gible. I was trying to make it black and white, with hints of neon blue, but it would not cooperate. Gonna retackle in a little haha. Gengar is under Sheep's response :)

im of the genuine opinion (and of the minority) that i don't really mind glaceon's shiny, but only because i don't feel that any other colour fits it besides maybe a light pink + blue combination or something

I'm with you! I don't mind it all to much, except in the newer version since it doesn't differ as much. I'm gonna have to attempt the pastel version you mentioned ^^

Charmander, Jigglypuff and Paras have pretty disappointing shinies imo, although shiny Charizard looks really cool. Not sure why they went for such a drastically different colour for it besides favouritism though.

eSLG3Jf.png
l6ljwrF.png
CQaxHYn.png

Couldn't agree more, Inkwriter. Charmander, especially, since Charizard has such a nice shiny. These are my takes on a few recolors ^^

Shiny Blissey looks no different than its normal one, and I'm honestly disappointed. It seems a lot of the cute pink Pokemon are like this, though? Also, Shiny Shellos East Sea. It barely changes. I think it should be made light green instead of just be a few shades different.
iZGOx0c.png

Yesss, Palamon! I can't stand Blissey's shiny. It... well, isn't really a shiny. I'm gonna attempt Shellos when I get back home, but I agree; the shade variant shinies can be quite frustrating.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
I understand there's exactly 0 way they could have predicted this all the way in Gen II ~ III but personally I'd make Zapdos and Articuno shinies (and Moltres as well, just to finish the trio, even though Moltres has a noticeable shiny) to have their Galarian formes colorschemes.

So Galarian shinies would look Kantonian and Kantonian shinies would like Galarian.

In general though, I'm generally more OK with non-noticeable shinies than the "neon puke green" shinies.

(As a different type of non-noticeable shiny, Minior shinies all look the same regardless of the core. I'd maybe change that so they're all that black but they have their color accents? Like, instead of having rainbow accents, Minior-Green would be black with green accents, Minior-Blue would have blue accents and so on.)

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
iZGOx0c.png

Yesss, Palamon! I can't stand Blissey's shiny. It... well, isn't really a shiny. I'm gonna attempt Shellos when I get back home, but I agree; the shade variant shinies can be quite frustrating.

Grey/Black on Blissey looks so good, great job! I'd shiny hunt her if she were this color tbh

TepigLover101

I am a tepig who has hair
Years
In my opinion, the worst shiny variation is tynamo, it really sucks and you can barley even tell the difference
*instert they´re the same picture meme*

Years
tynamo.png
tynamo.png

It's not as bad as some others (cough Garchomp) but still pretty bad yeah. This one would be cooler with just about any color, even a darker blue!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
Beartic. It is just a little darker. It could be any other color just for the sake of changing its color

Back