• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Mom

Years
In the Johto games you arrange to send a portion of your winnings back to mom, who will save up your pokedollars, and ocassionally go shopping with it, and use some of the money to surprise you with an item.

Did you ever store money at home with mom?

I use this option. I like the idea that I can carry money with me, but have it also kept in another place, and can withdraw money from the mom npc like a bank, when I need it. Sure, you can always save your money on your own while traveling, but if you let your mom save it then it requires less thought, money is just put aside automatically and consistently every time you earn some in a battle, and your savings have a way of adding up fast. I'm often surprised when I travel to see mom, and see how much money has been saved, and it guarantees that even if I overspend I'll always have a reserve to fall back on.

The coolest part though is that mom could find items that help the player like evolutionary stones and potions, berries and other held items that you might not have access to at your current stage in the game, so I thought it was worth leaving money with her to buy these things, even if just for that. The thing that I thought was most fun was when she bought room decor like Pokemon dolls. I loved the dolls for the room, though they served no purpose other than being cute, I like the idea of being able to decorate my space.

What about you? Did you like using this feature in Johto, or do you think it was not that useful?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I don't use or like this feature. Find myself with a lack of money on hand whenever I have her save it.

Of course, I do miss out on the unique items she buys as a consequence.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
Used and enjoyed it because of the dolls. Appreciated the little bit of customization back in the day. Felt special due to being unable to buy them normally. Likely grew tired of saving after exhausting the guaranteed items. Awarded boring repeat items in Generation 2.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I hated this because she would use the money I saved. So, in future playthroughs, I didn't let her save my money anymore since she shouldn't do that. She never really bought good items anyway, to be honest.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I used it back in the day when Gen 2 was new. Never really questioned the feature at the time, so I just went with it. Later in life I stopped using it, I don't need a reserve of cash and her buying something good is rare anyway.

Years
Yep, use it every time I play through. It's funny, I've never looked into how much money she takes from you each time, or a full list of items. For GSC I'd like when she buys the Snorlax/Charmander/Pikachu dolls. For HGSS, it's a good way to access certain berries.
I dunno, it just feels right to finish a battle in a Johto game and see "Sent some to Mom!".

Years
I only played the Crystal VC if that counts as gen 2.
I declined. I also declined back in HGSS which was my first Johto experience.

I did not even know she bought stuff with it.
I always decline, because prior to getting fly, fetching money from her is quite an inconvenience and I therefore don't consider it useful.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Oh man, I forgot this was even a thing!! I remember if you accumulated enough cash, she would buy you different Pokémon dolls to decorate your room with. Freaking adorable - GSC Mom is best Mom.

Years
I did as a kid, yes! Loved the dolls she occasionally bought me and wish we had more use for them, and that a similar feature made its way over to future games. Decorating our room with dolls was cute. But later on when I replayed I disabled the feature since I was trying to zoom past the game and the 'sent some to mom' text made battles ever so slightly longer, lol.

Years
I always use it, since I never felt like I need that much money. I even forget to withdraw them sometimes at the end of the game.

Putting dolls in my rooms was cool feature. I remember that if you transfer your save to Stadium 2, you can view your room in 3D and see those dolls. But I don't use this feature that much nowadays.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I used it back in the day and made use of all the dolls she bought on occasion. I did eventually stop because she didn't buy anything new anymore. I also had at some point started to max out my money. You can still give her money without having it sent to her. It's funny how in gen 2 you can get almost 2 million Poke Dollars that way.

Years
personally, i always use this feature, considering how much i overspend! i like the way it works like a bank, especially considering that i always spend all my money on essential items (like potions, antidotes, etc. etc.) so it's good for me to have some stored away so i don't blow it all at once, haha! the room decorations were also so much fun to come home to—i always found myself looking forward to her call!

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
The feature was very useful to me. I always let my mom in game save my money because doing stuff could grant you certain items that only be obtained with the feature. I enjoyed it a lot.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Wait what, she could get me evo items? Damn, I never realized. Haha. I never let her touch my money 😅

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 16, 2023
TYL that your mom could buy you dolls to decorate you room with, i will keep that in mind next time i play GSC lol

Back