Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #451    
Old September 29th, 2008 (9:34 AM).
Shadows's Avatar
Shadows Shadows is offline
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: Chicago, IL
    Age: 21
    Nature: Calm
    Posts: 857
    My sister delted all my rom hacks/tools.
    This thread really helped me recover!
    Thanks, Hackmew!
    __________________
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #452    
    Old September 30th, 2008 (6:03 PM).
    Hitsu Hitsu is offline
       
      Join Date: Aug 2008
      Gender:
      Posts: 11
      I love your tools -HackMew- :-) You're probably the best programmer in the world ;> They're very useful to me.

      PS. especially XSE, FSF and APE are the most useful.
      Reply With Quote
        #453    
      Old October 3rd, 2008 (11:39 PM).
      Sgt. Custard's Avatar
      Sgt. Custard Sgt. Custard is offline
      Novice Hacker
         
        Join Date: Apr 2007
        Location: Rule Britannia!
        Age: 24
        Gender:
        Nature: Calm
        Posts: 85
        LOVE these tools HackMew, but I've got a few suggestions for XSE:

        Suggestion: Compiling unsaved scripts
        Description: Fairly self-explanatory: it would just be the ability to compile a script in an/some open tab(s) including decompiled scripts without having to save it every time. This would work well with the next suggestion.

        Suggestion: Decompiled dynamic offsets
        Description: This would be when you decompile a script, it shows names rather than offsets after the "#org". These could be: "start", "script1", "script2", "msg1", "msg2", "move1" and "move2". This would be useful because it would mean you could edit and extend a script and recompile it directly from the tab without worrying about it overwriting something else because it would be automatically repointed and the previous script wiped (with FF's). This could be turned on and off.

        Suggestion: #org labels
        Description: This would be when you hover over an #org/offset (name), a box appears with the length (in bytes) of the script and, for decompiled scripts, it's current location in the ROM.

        Suggestion: Hex editor length
        Description: The ability to select a series of bytes in the hex editor and to be told immediately how many bytes long that is.

        Suggestion: Autocomplete
        Description: Something like in PKSV, but less obtrusive; a single command (the most likely one) shown like this:
        applymovement
        as you type. Pressing TAB could autocomplete it. This could be turned on and off.

        Suggestion: Command help labels
        Description: The command help list is really helpful, but it would be even more helpful for a small box to appear after you type a command that shows the parameters needed for that command and the order they come in. Let's say you've typed "applymovement 0x2". A box would appear with:
        applymovement
        player no., movement offset
        Something like in Excel, with the part you're currently on enboldened.

        Suggestion: Msgbox maker
        Description: Minor thing, but it would save some bother in larger scripts. When you type "msgbox", a box appears at the right hand side with an entry for offset (name) and message (with text adjusting). You type it in and click OK and it puts the script there for you. Would save having to scroll down and type "#org blah/ = (tools => text adjuster => convert => Ctrl+C => close => Ctrl=V)... Yes I'm lazy...

        Suggestion: Ability to paste in text adjuster
        Description: Self-explanatory

        Suggestion: Movement make
        Description: Like Msgbox maker, with buttons arranged something like this:

        ! ? etc...
        ^
        <= <- < . > -> =>
        etc...

        So you can just click on the buttons and make the movement script without having to look it up everytime. There could even be a playback function to show you what it looks like.



        Well... lots of stuff there. Clearly you don't have to do all of them (or any of them), but most of them I think would be welcomed by most hackers. I don't know how feasible all of this would be, but if you can do them, it would help make XSE even more obviously the best scripting program out there!
        Reply With Quote
          #454    
        Old October 4th, 2008 (12:23 AM).
        ZodiacDaGreat's Avatar
        ZodiacDaGreat ZodiacDaGreat is offline
        Working on a Mobile System
           
          Join Date: Feb 2007
          Location: South Pacific
          Age: 24
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 429
          Send a message via ICQ to ZodiacDaGreat
          Man, are you insane -.-"... All your suggestions are either useless or problematic.
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #455    
          Old October 4th, 2008 (3:44 PM).
          cooley's Avatar
          cooley cooley is offline
          ///Keepin' it simple
          • Silver Tier
           
          Join Date: Feb 2007
          Location: United States
          Age: 22
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Impish
          Posts: 1,147
          Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cooley
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Sgt. Custard View Post
          LOVE these tools HackMew, but I've got a few suggestions for XSE:

          ...........

          Well... lots of stuff there. Clearly you don't have to do all of them (or any of them), but most of them I think would be welcomed by most hackers(Nope, just you pal). I don't know how feasible all of this would be, but if you can do them, it would help make XSE even more obviously the best scripting program out there!(already is, my friend, already is...)
          Quote:
          Suggestion: Compiling unsaved scripts
          Description: Fairly self-explanatory: it would just be the ability to compile a script in an/some open tab(s) including decompiled scripts without having to save it every time. This would work well with the next suggestion.
          It can already do that...Did you even use XSE, before suggesting?
          Quote:
          Suggestion: Decompiled dynamic offsets
          Description: This would be when you decompile a script, it shows names rather than offsets after the "#org". These could be: "start", "script1", "script2", "msg1", "msg2", "move1" and "move2". This would be useful because it would mean you could edit and extend a script and recompile it directly from the tab without worrying about it overwriting something else because it would be automatically repointed and the previous script wiped (with FF's). This could be turned on and off.
          Just useless. Stop being lazy, XSE has A "linking offsets" function, which you Ctrl+Click, and it'll take you to the offset you clicked on.
          Quote:
          Suggestion: #org labels
          Description: This would be when you hover over an #org/offset (name), a box appears with the length (in bytes) of the script and, for decompiled scripts, it's current location in the ROM.
          How about you just, press F1, over a command?
          Quote:
          Suggestion: Hex editor length
          Description: The ability to select a series of bytes in the hex editor and to be told immediately how many bytes long that is.
          Not useful, at all...Plus, this'll take a LOOONG time to implement.
          Quote:
          Suggestion: Autocomplete
          Description: Something like in PKSV, but less obtrusive; a single command (the most likely one) shown like this:
          applymovement
          as you type. Pressing TAB could autocomplete it. This could be turned on and off.
          You want Autocomplete? Then use PKSV! Why would -Hackmew- want to copy Score_under's idea?
          Quote:
          Suggestion: Command help labels
          Description: The command help list is really helpful, but it would be even more helpful for a small box to appear after you type a command that shows the parameters needed for that command and the order they come in. Let's say you've typed "applymovement 0x2". A box would appear with:
          applymovement
          player no., movement offset
          Something like in Excel, with the part you're currently on enboldened.
          That will be featured, in the Comprehensive Scripting Guide, soon to come. But why not experiment? And it gives enough detailed information, in order too. You just have to comprehend it...
          Quote:
          Suggestion: Msgbox maker
          Description: Minor thing, but it would save some bother in larger scripts. When you type "msgbox", a box appears at the right hand side with an entry for offset (name) and message (with text adjusting). You type it in and click OK and it puts the script there for you. Would save having to scroll down and type "#org blah/ = (tools => text adjuster => convert => Ctrl+C => close => Ctrl=V)... Yes I'm lazy...
          You are ... I don't even have a word for you.
          That will take more time, than it will take to type in, msgbox 0xOffset

          Quote:
          Suggestion: Ability to paste in text adjuster
          Description: Self-explanatory
          TEXT ADJUSTER CAN ALREADY PASTE!!!!! JUST RIGHT CLICK!!!
          Quote:
          Suggestion: Movement make
          Description: Like Msgbox maker, with buttons arranged something like this:

          ! ? etc...
          ^
          <= <- < . > -> =>
          etc...

          So you can just click on the buttons and make the movement script without having to look it up everytime. There could even be a playback function to show you what it looks like.
          -HackMew- Plans on including this in the next release, but I can't tell you much more though...
          __________________

          Reply With Quote
            #456    
          Old October 6th, 2008 (11:51 AM).
          Sgt. Custard's Avatar
          Sgt. Custard Sgt. Custard is offline
          Novice Hacker
             
            Join Date: Apr 2007
            Location: Rule Britannia!
            Age: 24
            Gender:
            Nature: Calm
            Posts: 85
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by cooley View Post
            It can already do that...Did you even use XSE, before suggesting?
            No, I'm pretty sure you can't do that; I'd be interested how that's done if it can be, though.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by cooley View Post
            Just useless. Stop being lazy, XSE has A "linking offsets" function, which you Ctrl+Click, and it'll take you to the offset you clicked on.
            I think you misunderstood me: I meant that when you decompile a script from a ROM, XSE automagically assigns a name to all the offsets (essentially dynamic offsets), so that when you recompile the script, there's no risk of overwriting something else if it becomes too long. It could simply repoint and wipe where the script used to be with FF's.
            It's not useless at all; in fact it would be quite helpful.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by cooley View Post
            How about you just, press F1, over a command?
            Er... that's not what I meant at all... I meant you put the cursor over an OFFSET/OFFSET NAME, and it tells you the length of the script in bytes. And for decompiled dynamic offsets as discussed above, it could also tell you the current offset in the ROM.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by cooley View Post
            Not useful, at all...Plus, this'll take a LOOONG time to implement.
            Well it could be useful, but if it's too difficult to implement, then fine, don't. I'm not a programmer, and don't pretend to be; it seemed to be a fairly simple thing, but if it isn't, then clearly he shouldn't bother. It was only a suggestion.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by cooley View Post
            You want Autocomplete? Then use PKSV! Why would -Hackmew- want to copy Score_under's idea?
            Because it's a good idea... There's nothing wrong with using a similar thing, because it's hardly that original: score_under didn't found the concept of autocomplete did he? It's just useful for saving time.
            I don't use PKSV because XSE is better in so many other ways, but autocomplete would just make it even better. Also, PKSV's autocomplete is annoying and get's in the way. It could be very simple: just place a highlighted completion of the most likely command result from the input after what you are typing, a bit like what happens when you type in the command help search

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by cooley View Post
            That will be featured, in the Comprehensive Scripting Guide, soon to come. But why not experiment? And it gives enough detailed information, in order too. You just have to comprehend it...
            Well the F1 thing from above helped: I didn't realise you could do that.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by cooley View Post
            You are ... I don't even have a word for you.

            That will take more time, than it will take to type in, msgbox 0xOffset


            Well it wouldn't... All I really mean is when you type msgbox, text adjusting appears with a box for putting the offset/offset name, so when you press convert, it just goes straight into a script down below so you can continue with the script.
            Again, it's only a suggestion and a minor one at that; if it's too difficult/lengthy to implement then don't. It's just a timesaver.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by cooley View Post
            TEXT ADJUSTER CAN ALREADY PASTE!!!!! JUST RIGHT CLICK!!!
            You are mistaken, you cannot paste text into text adjuster.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by cooley View Post
            -HackMew- Plans on including this in the next release, but I can't tell you much more though...
            Well great!


            I'm sorry if I offended you; I was only trying to help.
            Reply With Quote
              #457    
            Old October 6th, 2008 (2:38 PM).
            cooley's Avatar
            cooley cooley is offline
            ///Keepin' it simple
            • Silver Tier
             
            Join Date: Feb 2007
            Location: United States
            Age: 22
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Impish
            Posts: 1,147
            Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cooley
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Sgt. Custard View Post
            No, I'm pretty sure you can't do that; I'd be interested how that's done if it can be, though.



            I think you misunderstood me: I meant that when you decompile a script from a ROM, XSE automagically assigns a name to all the offsets (essentially dynamic offsets), so that when you recompile the script, there's no risk of overwriting something else if it becomes too long. It could simply repoint and wipe where the script used to be with FF's.
            It's not useless at all; in fact it would be quite helpful.



            Er... that's not what I meant at all... I meant you put the cursor over an OFFSET/OFFSET NAME, and it tells you the length of the script in bytes. And for decompiled dynamic offsets as discussed above, it could also tell you the current offset in the ROM.



            Well it could be useful, but if it's too difficult to implement, then fine, don't. I'm not a programmer, and don't pretend to be; it seemed to be a fairly simple thing, but if it isn't, then clearly he shouldn't bother. It was only a suggestion.



            Because it's a good idea... There's nothing wrong with using a similar thing, because it's hardly that original: score_under didn't found the concept of autocomplete did he? It's just useful for saving time.
            I don't use PKSV because XSE is better in so many other ways, but autocomplete would just make it even better. Also, PKSV's autocomplete is annoying and get's in the way. It could be very simple: just place a highlighted completion of the most likely command result from the input after what you are typing, a bit like what happens when you type in the command help search



            Well the F1 thing from above helped: I didn't realise you could do that.


            That will take more time, than it will take to type in, msgbox 0xOffset[/font]

            Well it wouldn't... All I really mean is when you type msgbox, text adjusting appears with a box for putting the offset/offset name, so when you press convert, it just goes straight into a script down below so you can continue with the script.
            Again, it's only a suggestion and a minor one at that; if it's too difficult/lengthy to implement then don't. It's just a timesaver.



            You are mistaken, you cannot paste text into text adjuster.



            Well great!


            I'm sorry if I offended you; I was only trying to help.
            Hey, well it's really not up to me, it's up to -HackMew-

            And I didn't realize, most of the things I said are in XSE are the ones that are in the XSE I'm beta testing(Which is far more greater than the one you use)

            I can't wait till -HackMew- Releases it to public, then you guys will really know the power of XSE!
            __________________

            Reply With Quote
              #458    
            Old October 6th, 2008 (5:43 PM).
            Ninja Caterpie's Avatar
            Ninja Caterpie Ninja Caterpie is offline
            Sitting by the back window
               
              Join Date: Mar 2008
              Location: Best City OCE
              Age: 21
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Bold
              Posts: 5,945
              O.o! Massive argument of whether stuff is useful or not!

              Well, I have a problem.
              When I open a script, the text in the script is all...well...blank. It's a lot of spaces. Everything else is OK, but not the text. I've tried 4 different FR Roms, even and Emerald ROM but it's still the same problem. Eheheh...I think it's my computer, because thethethethe's Item Editor ha v\h\10203\h\v\10249 and stuff as the item names and descriptions...Any way I can fix this?
              __________________
              Brony represent.
              Reply With Quote
                #459    
              Old October 8th, 2008 (11:39 AM).
              nick11202 nick11202 is offline
                 
                Join Date: Jul 2007
                Gender:
                Nature: Adamant
                Posts: 17
                I use all of these tools almost everyday and I love it!

                This is helping me re-make Pokemon Frosty :)
                Reply With Quote
                  #460    
                Old October 10th, 2008 (7:56 AM).
                gray2345's Avatar
                gray2345 gray2345 is offline
                The Pig Apocalypse is coming!
                   
                  Join Date: Jun 2008
                  Gender:
                  Posts: 21
                  these are some nice tools dude.
                  __________________
                  Im Cool ,And Awesome What About you?
                  Reply With Quote
                    #461    
                  Old October 11th, 2008 (5:53 AM).
                  Champio30's Avatar
                  Champio30 Champio30 is offline
                  Pokemon: Team Alpha's Revenge
                     
                    Join Date: Aug 2008
                    Posts: 61
                    XSE cuts off a lot of text. This is what it looks like.

                    '-----------------------
                    #org 0x160ADA
                    msgbox 0x81C528B '"["]Those whose memories fade seek t..."
                    callstd 0x3
                    end

                    '---------
                    ' Strings
                    '---------
                    #org 0x1C528B
                    = ["]Those whose memories fade seek to\ncarve them in their hearts..."
                    __________________





                    Reply With Quote
                      #462    
                    Old October 11th, 2008 (12:26 PM). Edited October 11th, 2008 by score_under.
                    score_under's Avatar
                    score_under score_under is offline
                    I program the *other* ASM.
                    • Crystal Tier
                     
                    Join Date: Aug 2005
                    Location: Hertfordshire, England
                    Age: 24
                    Nature: Rash
                    Posts: 525
                    @Champio30:
                    This was intentional, to avoid repetition of hugely long text.
                    __________________
                    Plz not to PM me, I don't come here often enough. Email if you need me
                    Reply With Quote
                      #463    
                    Old October 11th, 2008 (5:13 PM).
                    Champio30's Avatar
                    Champio30 Champio30 is offline
                    Pokemon: Team Alpha's Revenge
                       
                      Join Date: Aug 2008
                      Posts: 61
                      so how do you fix that, to show the huge text?
                      __________________





                      Reply With Quote
                        #464    
                      Old October 11th, 2008 (5:23 PM).
                      ZodiacDaGreat's Avatar
                      ZodiacDaGreat ZodiacDaGreat is offline
                      Working on a Mobile System
                         
                        Join Date: Feb 2007
                        Location: South Pacific
                        Age: 24
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Relaxed
                        Posts: 429
                        Send a message via ICQ to ZodiacDaGreat
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Champio30
                        so how do you fix that, to show the huge text?
                        Its a preview, its there so you can see what that pointer's about. The full text is located at the bottom "Strings"
                        __________________
                        Reply With Quote
                          #465    
                        Old October 18th, 2008 (6:46 PM).
                        Haowakeorden Haowakeorden is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2006
                          Posts: 988
                          Is there a time scale for your future projects (Advance Trainer, Pokémon Editor Advance, etc.)? Thanks.
                          Reply With Quote
                            #466    
                          Old October 21st, 2008 (5:16 PM).
                          D4Ni3L's Avatar
                          D4Ni3L D4Ni3L is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Jul 2008
                            Gender:
                            Posts: 27
                            Send a message via Yahoo to D4Ni3L
                            Thanks
                            i'm a n00b in hacking and lets see if i can accomplish anything :D
                            __________________

                            Reply With Quote
                              #467    
                            Old October 22nd, 2008 (11:46 AM).
                            -DarK- -DarK- is offline
                            Hold Your Colour
                               
                              Join Date: Jun 2007
                              Location: Belgium
                              Age: 24
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Brave
                              Posts: 185
                              Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
                              I hope the next tool will be Advance trainer, since the Trainer editor that Juan made doesn't work and I can't find a link to PET anywhere. :s With other words, I can't edit any trainers......
                              __________________
                              Reply With Quote
                                #468    
                              Old October 23rd, 2008 (4:17 PM).
                              cooley's Avatar
                              cooley cooley is offline
                              ///Keepin' it simple
                              • Silver Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Feb 2007
                              Location: United States
                              Age: 22
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Impish
                              Posts: 1,147
                              Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cooley
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by DarkSalamence View Post
                              I hope the next tool will be Advance trainer, since the Trainer editor that Juan made doesn't work and I can't find a link to PET anywhere. :s With other words, I can't edit any trainers......
                              Actually, yes it is. All I can say is that it'll be really good
                              __________________

                              Reply With Quote
                                #469    
                              Old October 23rd, 2008 (10:01 PM). Edited October 23rd, 2008 by -DarK-.
                              -DarK- -DarK- is offline
                              Hold Your Colour
                                 
                                Join Date: Jun 2007
                                Location: Belgium
                                Age: 24
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Brave
                                Posts: 185
                                Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by cooley View Post
                                Actually, yes it is. All I can say is that it'll be really good ;)
                                Hurray!!! xD Finally, we'll finally get a trainer editor that actually works :P Btw, how far is he on that editor? Any beta-releases yet, or actual release date?
                                __________________
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #470    
                                Old October 24th, 2008 (12:16 AM).
                                ZodiacDaGreat's Avatar
                                ZodiacDaGreat ZodiacDaGreat is offline
                                Working on a Mobile System
                                   
                                  Join Date: Feb 2007
                                  Location: South Pacific
                                  Age: 24
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Relaxed
                                  Posts: 429
                                  Send a message via ICQ to ZodiacDaGreat
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by DarkSalamence
                                  Hurray!!! xD Finally, we'll finally get a trainer editor that actually works Btw, how far is he on that editor? Any beta-releases yet, or actual release date?
                                  I assure you all, it'll take quite a while for Andrea aka HackMew to resume A-Trainer as of now XSE is top priority so be patient - everything will be available in due time.
                                  __________________
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #471    
                                  Old October 24th, 2008 (10:27 PM).
                                  Piplup989's Avatar
                                  Piplup989 Piplup989 is offline
                                  Current Location: Unknown
                                     
                                    Join Date: Oct 2008
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Quirky
                                    Posts: 2
                                    I'v been looking for something like this for a while!
                                    Reply With Quote
                                      #472    
                                    Old October 26th, 2008 (12:36 AM).
                                    Pikiame's Avatar
                                    Pikiame Pikiame is offline
                                       
                                      Join Date: Oct 2008
                                      Posts: 13
                                      Oi hackmew could you make hacking tools for not just pokemon but other games?
                                      Reply With Quote
                                        #473    
                                      Old October 26th, 2008 (1:11 AM).
                                      Swampert 22's Avatar
                                      Swampert 22 Swampert 22 is offline
                                      Is making tools for you...
                                      • Silver Tier
                                       
                                      Join Date: Sep 2005
                                      Location: Switzerland
                                      Age: 26
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Nature: Brave
                                      Posts: 393
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Pikiame View Post
                                      Oi hackmew could you make hacking tools for not just pokemon but other games?
                                      I am sure HackMew could make tools for another game if he had the data. There is nothing different about hacking a Pokémon game's data to a Mario game. At the end of the day, it's all just manipulating HEX.
                                      __________________

                                      I've made some tools for Pokémon hacking! Please check out the thread... Swampert Tools Showcase

                                      Head over to my thread to check out my latest tool, Pokémon Red/Blue Trainer Editor!

                                      Visit my site for Pokémon ROM Hacking tools! Swampert Tools Homepage
                                      Reply With Quote
                                        #474    
                                      Old October 26th, 2008 (1:53 AM).
                                      Pikiame's Avatar
                                      Pikiame Pikiame is offline
                                         
                                        Join Date: Oct 2008
                                        Posts: 13
                                        Well I wanted to make a pokemon cross-over with another game I had I in mind.
                                        Reply With Quote
                                          #475    
                                        Old October 26th, 2008 (1:58 AM).
                                        Swampert 22's Avatar
                                        Swampert 22 Swampert 22 is offline
                                        Is making tools for you...
                                        • Silver Tier
                                         
                                        Join Date: Sep 2005
                                        Location: Switzerland
                                        Age: 26
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Nature: Brave
                                        Posts: 393
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Pikiame View Post
                                        Well I wanted to make a pokemon cross-over with another game I had I in mind.
                                        Which game? I am sure that if it's relatively popular then it will have already been hacked and there will be tools for it.
                                        __________________

                                        I've made some tools for Pokémon hacking! Please check out the thread... Swampert Tools Showcase

                                        Head over to my thread to check out my latest tool, Pokémon Red/Blue Trainer Editor!

                                        Visit my site for Pokémon ROM Hacking tools! Swampert Tools Homepage
                                        Reply With Quote
                                        Reply
                                        Quick Reply

                                        Sponsored Links
                                        Thread Tools

                                        Posting Rules
                                        You may not post new threads
                                        You may not post replies
                                        You may not post attachments
                                        You may not edit your posts

                                        BB code is On
                                        Smilies are On
                                        [IMG] code is On
                                        HTML code is Off

                                        Forum Jump


                                        All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:09 AM.