The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Previous Generations
1st Gen Official glitch discussion thread.

Closed Thread

Old July 22nd, 2008 (7:41 PM).
oh pokemon, you're so pokemon

Nature: Quirky
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by こがおかみ View Post
    Dying Pokemon... this reminds me of what happened on my Yellow Version once. I can't remember exactly how it happened, but it was something like this: I had caught another Pikachu on my Yellow Version & my original Pikachu became angry... so I decided to trade the other to my Red Version (which had a lot of MissingNo. on it). When I started playing my Yellow Version again, Pikachu wasn't following me! I had traded over the wrong Pikachu... It was a little while before I traded it back over (though I can't remember why I had to wait). When I finally did, Pikachu was behind me again, however, when I would look at it, a skull & cross-bones appeared over its head, and whenever I would talk to someone in a building and start walking around again, Pikachu would stay by the other person. As soon as I would leave the building, Pikachu would start following me again, up until I went into another building & talked to someone... I used to say that Pikachu died and was now a zombie, but I think the fact was that it just hated me.
    Well, it's probably because when you trade a pokemon it's happiness value is reset.

Relevant Advertising!

Old August 6th, 2008 (10:52 AM).
    Upgrade your Grey Matter.

I remember being able to fish in the Gym Statue in Cerulean City.
      "Organize before they rise"
      - Max Brooks
      Old August 16th, 2008 (5:50 PM).
      The Shadow...

Hello and here we talk about the many glitch pokemon in Pokemon R/B/Y/G/S/C.
        My Discovery: PkMn Is Ho-Oh how about that!
        2: The Ultra MissingNo a pixalated Water Bird.
        Um i will post some more later i have to go.
        Old August 16th, 2008 (7:30 PM).
        the Pokemon Trainer

Nature: Calm
          Is Missingno a real pokemon glitched or an unfinished pokemon?
          Old August 16th, 2008 (9:12 PM).
          oh pokemon, you're so pokemon

Neither, it's a place holder. It's got somthing to do with hexi-decimals and whatnot.
            Also, the real missingno is only in red and blue, and this is the g/s/c section =/
            I can't say much for glitches I've seen, because the only 'old' game I have is crystal and I don't care for trying to get glitches and such.
            Old August 16th, 2008 (10:19 PM).
            Moémon Master

i think missingno. is more of a...how to call... fail-safe
              every spot in the game has certain odds for catching pokemon, and odds for what pokemon are going to be caught. each of these must individually add up to 100%
              but in the event that something was missed a placeholder, as you called it Mr. P, appears.
              in the case of the right hand side of cinnabar island, the programmers must have forgotten to put in the value for the pokemon that can appear there, so the placeholder shows up.

at least...this is what i think...

because i used to be able to make a missingno. appear with my game shark....

boy, those were the days...
              Old August 21st, 2008 (2:31 PM).
              Fail-safe

Nature: Quiet
                You can fish and surf on statues.

R o x a s
                No one would miss me.

Old August 23rd, 2008 (11:09 AM).
                ~!~Miss Cow~!~

In Silver version I decided to clone my Scyther, so I did exactly what you were supposed to do, like I had done a million times in my gold version with no side effects. So anyways, when I turned my game back on and looked in my PC, there was the clone Scyther, but the funny thing was, it's nickname was EKANS even though the original never had a nickname. Can anyone explain?

Old August 24th, 2008 (3:25 AM).
                  Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
                    Sometimes when you clone a Pokémon in GSC, the data for it is mixed with that of a different Pokémon. If you do it exactly right, you can give one Pokémon the moves and stats of another. I have a Dratini named GYARADOS and a shiny Gyarados named DRATINI. Yes, I was trying to make the Dratini shiny, but it didn't work...
                    Old September 7th, 2008 (12:22 AM).
                    ~!~Miss Cow~!~

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Wichu View Post
                      Sometimes when you clone a Pokémon in GSC, the data for it is mixed with that of a different Pokémon. If you do it exactly right, you can give one Pokémon the moves and stats of another. I have a Dratini named GYARADOS and a shiny Gyarados named DRATINI. Yes, I was trying to make the Dratini shiny, but it didn't work...
                      Does that mean it can learn the same moves as Ekans? Or does it just have the same attack, etc.?

Old September 29th, 2008 (3:12 AM).

In this forum's jounal thread, I read that it's possible to get all three of the starter pokemon, as well as clone pokemon. Can anybody tell me how this is done, and if it can be done with items (i.e. Master balls and Rare Cany, etc)?
                        Old October 7th, 2008 (6:10 PM).
                        The Fighting Porygon Team

And now, for some Diamond/Pearl fun.

After hearing on a site that you could get Ditto to learn Dunsparce's move set, I thought "Dunsparce being useful, no wai!" paired with the fact that Transform is known to be a VERY buggy move, so when the opportunity struck, I just had to try out.

First I flew to route 208, or whatever the name of the route where you found dunsparce, then I proceeded as follows:

1.) Encounter a Dunsparce.

2.) Have Ditto transform and fight with it
                          3.) Make sure that Ditto uses up all it's moves as dunsparce, without KOing the dunsparce you're fighting against. (which is thankfully easy seeing that dunsparce only has one attack, rage.)
                          4.)Then, KO the enemy dunsparce with struggle.

5.)If Ditto didn't faint while fighting, then it should have Rage, Glare, Yawn, and some other fourth move I forgot about all at 0PP.
                          Restore it at a Pokemon center to regain the PP.

6.) Since Ditto forgets Transform in the process, you need to go to the move tutor in order for it to relearn the move.

And there you have it, though I don't know why you'd want a Ditto with dunsparce's move set, other then for the novelty of having a Ditto with yawn.

It's been reported that this technique can be used on other Pokemon for Ditto to learn even more moves, but my attempt with cubone bore no results.
                          "Geodudes are really tough."- Random kid from Pokémon Commercial
                          "Dragonite for the win!"- Lance
                          "Are you kidding me? Not my Chikorita!"- Random kid from other Pokémon Commercial
                          Old October 7th, 2008 (9:06 PM).
                          Hop along to the cowboy beat.

These ones arnt really a glitches but interesting.

If you go thru nugget bridge and over to the left patch of grass where the trainer is, he says "I saw your feat from the grass!" instead of feet.

Then I was in Saffron last night, up near the gyms and I saw a Rocket member, then he dissapeared.

Both of these happend in Blue.
                            Old October 13th, 2008 (11:31 AM).

As far as I know this cannot be replicated on an emulator and it is still a mystery as to what causes it but I can say it has to do with mystery gift. (unitentional pun. sorry)

Several years ago I went to trainer House in Viridian City on my Silver version for the first time. When I went to battle there I was surprised to notice that the trainer I was battling Had The name PKMN Trainer. Nothing else. He sent out a level 127 Pinser. My level 80 something Ho-oh took care of it in one hit of a Fire Blast. Next he sent out a level 0 Venonat.
                              I quickly defeated it and was awarded 0 Exp points.

Sometime after that event I started to notice strange things. When I took mail off of a pokemon and tried to deposit it in the PC I always got this message: "The Mailbox is full!" I looked in my mailbox and sure enough it was. It was full of glitchy, garbled,and untranslatable junkmail. For example: One letter had nothing on it and the name said something like PKMNyk on it while another one had glitch blocks in it. There was even one that crashed my game when I tried to look at it.

When I went to decorate my room I noticed that I had items only available with mystery gift as well as some my gameboy character's mom hadn't bought yet. I had all but a few of the bedroom items. The strangest part was I never did mystery gift with anyone.

Sometime after that I battled PKMN trainer everyday then one day everything changed. I got another trainer Whose name was 9. on the first turn he sent out a level 30 something Cloyster. I beat it in one hit. Then the game text said "9 is about to send out ?????. Will MAX (my character's name.) change pokemon? I pressed B and He sent out a Cloyster At level 30 something but its name was ?????. I can't remember what happend next. I know the game froze but I'm not for sure if The screen said "WAITING" like it does in two player mode or not. some reports have said it has but I can't really remember if it did or not.

My mailbox got crammed full of more glitchy mail. it seemed the more I deleted the more that came appeared. On the plus side I had all the room items including all three big dolls.

I'm not really sure why this glitch happens but whatever the reason it has to do with mystery gift. just to convince you I'm not crazy ther are reports of it on a moderately famous glitch website where you e-mail glitch encounters and they are eventually posted.

I'm apparently not the only one who has had an experience with this glitch so I'm not crazy. I don't want to get into any half cooked theories but I don't know if my theories are any good. This is one theory but I can't test it out unless I find my GBC. Anyone is welcome to test it on their GBC at their own risk:

Here's my theory. I tried Mystery Gift without a partner. (which of course isn't supposed to do anything and was before I knew of the IR connector and how to use it.) now let's suppose I did this around say... a television remote, which also emits infrared light similar to the IR connector on the GBC. Now let's say my GBC's IR Connector picked up the infrared light from the remote and made a mistake reading information given off from the TV remote. The game looks through this data but doesn't pick up the mystery gift item. the game then realizes the information is false which is the reason why mystery gift wasn't loaded. however the game still thinks that the data for the trainer in trainer house was the right one and keeps it on the game. so when the character goes to battle the opponent in trainer house the data from the mystery gift error is loaded just as if mystery gift happend. it may not just be a television remote any waves emitted from electronic objects around the house could be the likely cause. Hmmmmmm. I did try mystery gift next to the computer in the living room maybe waves emmitted from that are the cause.
                              Old October 14th, 2008 (12:41 PM). Edited October 14th, 2008 by groudonlover.
                              Mateus readies Hellfire...

Nature: Modest
                                That was strange...
                                Very strange...
                                That has never happened to me, but i am playing in a Phone Emulator, so there is no IR there

BTW: Pinsir is misspelled in the Post...
                                Old October 14th, 2008 (2:49 PM).

Oh thanks. I'll fix that at once. But getting to the glitch. This glitch is really rare. I only encountered it twice a long time ago. It hasn't happened since (although I still have glitched mail) Apparently it can be triggered by corrupt mystery gift, turning the power off while saving, Getting Glitched phone numbers (don't ask the guy I last discussed this with probably gamesharked the Phone numbers.) as well as a few other ways as well.
                                  Old October 18th, 2008 (7:40 AM).

Apparently if you hack a rom you can change missingno. into normal custom pokemon.
                                    Old October 18th, 2008 (12:47 PM).
                                    ~!~Miss Cow~!~

I don't know if this is any help to anyone, but I found a picture of a Missingno.{not sure which one, since I heard there are multiple Missingno.s}and on the backsprite, I saw a figure, kind of like a Mudkip.

I highlighted the shape I saw with dark purple.

After that I deleted all the other color and got this.

After that I changed it to black and gray to make it easier to work with.

I deleted all the weird floating pixels and got this.

Finally, after cleaning it up a bit, I got this shape.

Some of the floating pixels might have been part of a tail, but I'm not sure.

~Night

Old October 18th, 2008 (2:17 PM).

Lol that's very interesting.

I've encountered many glitches in my years of playing.
                                      Like when i went to check my Hall of Fame win in Pokemon yellow, my team was just a mew.
                                      The strangest one i have had though was during a Link trade in pokemon silver, i had 4 eevees and two other pokemon. When i went to trade them to my sister on her screen it showed up as 4 celebis a charizard and a blastoise.
                                      Old October 18th, 2008 (3:28 PM).
                                      ~!~Miss Cow~!~

Location: Are you some sort of stalker!?!
                                        I tried it with a front sprite of one Missingno.

I can see some sort of reptile head with teeth at the bottom, but I'm having trouble deciphering the top part. . .

~Night

Old October 18th, 2008 (6:42 PM).
                                        Hey, look, I was gone.

I encouted, yet, anther Missingno. and it turned out to be part of random tilesets! No seven Missingno. are the same, only six are exactly the same. I have no pictures to prove it, however. :P
                                          I look closer at the Missingno. I saw and it turns out to be a mix of Route wherever-you-find-him, Lavender and Saffron Cities, and Glitch City! By what this means, Glitch City is at The Safari Zone and the route is slightly easern of it. My idea:
                                          Missingno. travels there from Glitch City whenever you encouter the correct enemy (Yellow idea) and turns out to meet you and likes you so much that it gives you many items! :classic: Nah, that's impossible. There is a much more complicated way.
                                          Old October 18th, 2008 (7:20 PM).
                                          Blue Screen of Death Blue Screen of Death is offline
                                          Wait, what?

Heh, missingno. I remember that pokemon, and the fun surrounding it. I remember trying to trade a rattata for it on two of my games (red and blue) and when I did, all of the pokemon on the side that recieved the Missingno. had become Missingno! I was sad, considering I had most of my good pokemon transformed.
                                            Old October 18th, 2008 (9:18 PM).
                                            ~!~Miss Cow~!~

Location: Are you some sort of stalker!?!
                                              I heard that if you trade MissingNo. to Gold/Silver/Crystal then sometimes it'll turn into a Stantler or some other 'new' pokemon{at least they were new at the time}.

~Night

Old November 2nd, 2008 (8:03 AM).
                                              StarBoundDragon StarBoundDragon is offline
                                              . u .

Location: Canada: Land of the Meese
                                                Not sure i this happened to anyone else, but i taught my snorlax payday....but i only thought meowth and pikachu could learn it...i could be wrong...also once i was surfing and suddenly the music changed to the route 1 music and i was on my bike (not on land) ..... then the game crashed.
                                                Old November 10th, 2008 (2:29 PM).
                                                angry kid and a keyboard

Muahahahahaha! Glitches!
                                                  Alright, here's one for all you out there:
                                                  h Poke, the elusive glitch that is my name. First, you must do the extended mew trick using a pokemon with a special stat of 195. Then, and this IS necessary, you must nickname it. If you do this then you will have the most peculiar glitch of all: one with no bad side effects! Unfortunately, it learns few moves before level 100 and evolves into gloom at level 224
                                                  Closed Thread

Quick Reply