• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

.:Watermelon's Mapping & Other Stuff Secrets:.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
intro.png

Hello, as you have noticed my name is ~Watermelon. You may also know me by the names Tropical Sunlight or IceCharizard. You can, however, still call me IC or TS.
----------------------------------------
So, what's this all about?
Well, this is certainly not a mapping tutorial. If you wanna learn how to map, read Neti's tutorial.
Many good mappers know how to map well, but not properly. This is why I wrote this. I split it up in 4 sections:

1. Introduction
2. Correct mapping
3. A-Map Pallette editing
4. Other Map secrets

Oh, and I'll be using plain FR tiles.

correct-mapping.png

1. Shading
If you're using FR tiles, you have to learn how to shade trees properly.
As you have noticed, there are two kinds of trees in FR. One is the Outside tree, the other must be the Inside tree. I'll be using OT for Outside tree and IT for Inside tree.
shading-1.png

Here, you can see a part of a route in FR. And you can see some weird horrid MS colors.
-The red part shows you not to shade the in the middle part if the line of trees ends here.
-The yellow shows us not to use ITs if there's not tree next to this tree.
-And the last, the purple part shows us that we always have to use ITs at the end of the map.

2. Fences
This is what many people don't know.
fences-2.png

Green blocks are where an OverWorld should be. It should be touching the fence. We use all the fence tiles to do this.
Purple blocks are places that is not recommended to use them. We should block them with trees or other things. But sometimes that's un-available. Then, we just have to figure out something, idk.

a-map-pallete-editing.png

COMING SOON!

other-map-secrets.png

COMING SOON!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rabbit

where is my mind?
Years
Hm, I don't see anything wrong with that fence. The left end is flush with the house, true, and might do better with a fence-end tile, but that's the only problem I can see.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
I really think the part about fencing and sprite placement was a good one, I haven't seen that in a mapping tutorial thus far. great work!

Back