• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Pokémon Odyssey Episodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milk

ガットミルク
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2013
Good luck with your game =)

Last edited:

Waudby

screenshot%202009.03.09%2018.28.47.0092.png

Trying a new style, what do you guys think?

New trees and new pond/lake graphics...

Atomic Reactor

maybe make it so the mud and grass somehow blend together?

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
I think it looks fine... Its more realistic

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
For the AI, may I suggest you use a system similar to the one in poccil's starter kit?

Basically, each move has a certain chance of being used. The chance increases if it's super effective, and decreases if it's not very effective. Also, most move effects have conditions associated with them, which also affect the chance of it being picked. For example, a healing move's chance will increase if the user has low HP, or a stat-up move's chance will decrease if the user already has +6 in that stat.

Atomic Reactor

i agree with mason, maybe if you change the pallet to look more like sand?

Waudby

For the AI, may I suggest you use a system similar to the one in poccil's starter kit?

Basically, each move has a certain chance of being used. The chance increases if it's super effective, and decreases if it's not very effective. Also, most move effects have conditions associated with them, which also affect the chance of it being picked. For example, a healing move's chance will increase if the user has low HP, or a stat-up move's chance will decrease if the user already has +6 in that stat.

I was going to take a look at the starter kits AI system before doing my own. I was planning a system like that where certain flags increase the chance, I think I'll have an array the same saze as the number of moves (1-4) which each have their own value, for each flag which is true to that move it will increase. So if the move is super effective, then it's plus one, or if the HP is below 50% it will increase by 1, at 25% it will increase by 2 and at 12.5% it will increase by three. And then like you said based on the stat up moves.

I may also take the stats up moves one step further and check to see if the opponents stats are higher than a certain point and if so then the chance of stat reduction is higher. I will eventually add in ideas for move linking as well.

The water's edge tiles are kinda bugging me, they seem better suited to a swamp :3

i agree with mason, maybe if you change the pallet to look more like sand?

When put next to just grass and not the paths it looks fine, I'll try and adjust it a little bit to better suit the paths as well. I really want to work on my towns and REALLY make them shine, anyone willing to help me learn to map better?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
Sprite some things you would find near the water...Like a park bench or some weeds in the water.

Waudby

Since the graphical change, i've been trying a few new ideas for some maps.

This is a prototype version of the starting town and Route 301, what do people think? Suggestions to make it better?

Spoiler:

:D

Pikachu Trainer~

PokéDex Project
Years
Woah Waudby, this is an excellent map, I especially like the houses and the lab sprites they are amazing. I can only see one mistake, if you look above the bridge at on of the trees at the end of a line of them, one of them has a bit cut off. Keep up the good work, i'll definitely keep watch on this thread.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Nice map. No errors, the mountain tiles look cool, don't think I seen them.
If your looking for suggestions (which I think you asked for) would be maybe remove some of the tall grass (where wild Pokemon battles happen) under the ledge the player can jump around the left/middle part. Those ledges are used to block where the player can and can't go and to avoid any tedious battles the player has when backtracking (since in most of the maps in the official games, the player can short cut jump over the ledges back to a town). So it will be a nice way for the player not have to run into so many battles if they are looking to explore your world.

PoKéMaKeR1

Pokemon Rancher creator!
Years
Nice job Waudby although I think I see some small errors:
The trees left of the small house are "on top" of the small house, this also counts for the trees right of the lower big house.
And as pointed out already, the tree above the bridge misses a bit.
And just an idea about the trees, you might want to make them a little bit thinner, because in my opinion it doesn't look right one tree on top of the other one..
Overall this is a good game and I hope to see some more in the future!

PoKéMaKeR

Atomic Reactor

the one with like, the shrine of that one guy? and it was winter and stuff? and it had that little battle arena? just curious :|

Waudby

the one with like, the shrine of that one guy? and it was winter and stuff? and it had that little battle arena? just curious :|

Well since the game took a new direction, I decided to have a change, I still have that map and my recycle it, but I just wanted to give the game a fresh start after everything happened.

And this is only just a test map, it may or may not be used depending on people's opinions of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back