• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum hacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
well i know i can change the ??? to the type i want, i would just need to change the (dis)advantage table.

but then some moves will be the wrong type.

btw is there an unlz-ds (like the unlz-gba) made/in development.

and do you know how i can change the tileset animations

Years
well, personally i think a ROM hack would be easier (for me) because i know absolutely nothing about programming and stuff, but i can easily use software thats made to do a certain thing, i would ask gamefreak if they would give me any advice (because i'm interested in game designing, and pokemon is an awesome game) but i can't find a contact us + their website is in japanese

plus i have confidence that the people working on the dpp modding tools, will be able to figure out stuff much more complicated than what i want done.

Any ROM hackers that can't program shouldn't be hacking.

gamefreakfatty

yuo shuld mak an dp map edtior
Years

That's the kind of attitude that makes the researchers/real ROM hackers look bad. At the same time, the post you were responding to is what makes the ROM hacking population in general. They make it look like everyone expects all the hard work to be done by others. In general, most probably look at it like that. It makes sense though, not everyone is going to have time to learn how to do the extra complicated stuff. The public image just looks bad, that's all.

To be fair, I haven't looked at the RPG Maker/real programming side of the image, so I don't know how bad it is over there. I'm sure the people over there have very exciting things going on though. It definitely requires more skill to learn a computer language to make the game, even if it were a basic one. <-- Don't quote me on it being a basic programming language, as I have not looked at it. No matter how easy or hard the language is, the closest we got is PokeScript/XSE/[insert other scripting program here.]

Those don't have the extra power you have unless we use ASM hacks. Even then we probably can't get the power you are allowed with actually programming it.

The main upside to ROM hacking is that we can play the games on a real GB/GBC/GBA/NDS if we have the "special equipment" to do so. If you're good enough, you could spend time making your own homebrew ROM for the system itself if you wanted to. That's what DevKitPro is for! ;)

Not trying to bash either side though. ROM hacking requires a lot of research, but most people don't have the capacity to use the research to its full potential. ASM hacking is very complicated for most and requires a lot of time and understanding of the game's engine. On the other hand, programming is very similar across all the languages, but requires the right skills to learn it. You can customize the game much more than ROM hacking with ease. The downside would be that you probably won't be developing for a Nintendo handheld unless you're very committed.

That's my take on things, if anyone bothered to read it. Hope it can keep some peace between everyone, although I'm not sure that there's a war going on. ;)

-gamefreakfatty

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019

why? thats like saying if you enjoy something, but can't fully do it. you shouldn't do it

also i don't have enough time to learn to do advanced programming.
have you tried ROM hacking, it isn't the easiest thing in the world to do, and its time consuming. i don't expect people to do everything for me, but it's nice when somebody helps, it makes it that bit easier and quicker to do

SCV

DPP Game Researcher
Years
why? thats like saying if you enjoy something, but can't fully do it. you shouldn't do it

have you tried ROM hacking, it isn't the easiest thing in the world to do, and its time consuming. i don't expect people to do everything for me, but it's nice when somebody helps, it makes it that bit easier and quicker to do
Yes, he's done ROM hacking. He is one of a handful of people here that has. ;)

While doing all the stuff that you asked for would not be doing everything for you, it would be accomplishing the vast majority of the hard things.

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
While doing all the stuff that you asked for would not be doing everything for you, it would be accomplishing the vast majority of the hard things.

yes, i know that, but i enjoy making this game. I shouldn't be told if i can't do something i shouldn't do something else.

and you may be doing the really hard stuff, but obviously you want to programme because you enjoy it. if you didn't enjoy it you wouldn't do it, because if you did that it would be quite silly

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
i'm not arguing i'm saying, just because i can't do one aspect of something, i shouldn't be told i shouldn't do another aspect of something.

anyway, enough moaning from me.
how are things coming along, SCV
plus what are you currently working on

gamefreakfatty

yuo shuld mak an dp map edtior
Years

Actually, that's the reason he has that attitude. He kind of helped pioneer the way through Diamond and Pearl and got the D/P/P ROM hacking scene rolling. He prefers to do everything manually with a hex editor, in turn making it even more time consuming. He's gotten a bad image of the general ROM hacking population because most people wouldn't stop bothering about map editors and never left him alone about the things he did. On top of the bothersome messages from them, he's had to deal with a member of PokeSpam distributing "viruses" (not real viruses, just annoying programs) to the PokeCommunity and getting in trouble. He hasn't had very good experiences here...

man

Scrafty the Beast
Years
Can someone help me, after I open the poketex, I try to open my rom but it says I can't. What should I do?

Last edited:

SCV

DPP Game Researcher
Years
yes, i know that, but i enjoy making this game. I shouldn't be told if i can't do something i shouldn't do something else.

and you may be doing the really hard stuff, but obviously you want to programme because you enjoy it. if you didn't enjoy it you wouldn't do it, because if you did that it would be quite silly
Yes, I do it because I enjoy it and as long as the people not doing it are patient I will also enjoy sharing my work.

i'm not arguing i'm saying, just because i can't do one aspect of something, i shouldn't be told i shouldn't do another aspect of something.

anyway, enough moaning from me.
how are things coming along, SCV
plus what are you currently working on
Well things are on pause for about a week and a half. After that I will revamp PPRE and use something that I found a few weeks ago so that you choose a location and then the event and script files for that location will be opened. There are a few more things which I cannot discuss right now. I am still trying to decide whether to stick to C# or move to Qt, C++.
How do I pull Sp, rites out of D/P/Pt?
PokeDSPic and PokeDSPic Platinum:
http://pokeguide.filb.de
http://forum.pokesav.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2718

man

Scrafty the Beast
Years
Hey SCV, is it okay if you can help me with this question. I start up my poketex, then I try to open up my rom but it says i can't. Any advice?

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2011
Does, or will, The new Pokétext support Pokémon Platinum? Thanks.

Sorry if it was already anwsered, I just read the first 36 pages >_>;

SCV

DPP Game Researcher
Years
Does, or will, The new Pokétext support Pokémon Platinum? Thanks.

Sorry if it was already anwsered, I just read the first 36 pages >_>;
You can simply rename the msg.narc to something else, then pl_msg.narc to msg.narc and then dump the text you need.

then insert the pl_msg.narc with nitroexplorer2

man

Scrafty the Beast
Years
Thanks SCV, but I'm not very experienced with hacking, is there any easier way that i can do this? Also where can you get the new poketex? Oh and another thing I'm trying to hack the sprites of DPP but as i said before it won't let me open the rom.

Last edited:

SCV

DPP Game Researcher
Years
Thanks SCV, but I'm not very experienced with hacking, is there any easier way that i can do this? Also where can you get the new poketex? Oh and another thing I'm trying to hack the sprites of DPP but as i said before it won't let me open the rom.
You don't open the rom with these programs you must open the rom with something that will unpack it. In my signature I have a link to useful tools. All of these will extract for you.

The sprites are in /poketool/pokegra/pokegra.narc and /poketool/pokegra/other_poke.narc

For platinum they have pl_ in front.

You can get thenewpoketext at http://pokeguide.filb.de

Years

I've hacked once or twice... It may not be the easiest thing in the world, but in the hacking world it's one of the easiest. You can debug it, it has no security, it has very little compression, and it has a known file system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back