• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Remembrance Day, Veterans Day, Armistice Day...

Years

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
-John McCrae

On November 11, 2002, Canada found 13 WWI veterans but three more soldiers announced themselves which made it 16. Later on this year Archie Thompson also announced himself. Today, there is only 11 left from the 16 (17) last year. Those Canadians WWI veterans that died during the past 12 months include Henry Botterell, Myer Lewis, Charles Reaper, Harold Radford, and Archie Thompson. Botterell was the last WWI pilot of not only Canada but of all nations that used airplanes during WWI. Although he never became an air ace (for Canada, 5 kills or more) since he had only shot a German observation balloon and didn't even kill the man on it during his wartime, he is still considered to be a pilot.Lewis served not only Canada during WWI but he also served with the US Navy during WWII and died as a American citizen in California. Reaper was the last Vimy Ridge infantry soldier. Radford was the last Nova Scotia-born WWI veteran and died just 4 days ago.
Those who are still alive includes Cyril Martin, Harold Lewis, James Fraser, Paul Metivier,Iden Herbert Baldwin, Clare Laking, Lloyd Clemett, Peter Preet, Arthur Bennett Manson, William Duke Procter, Clifford Holliday. Three of them will be marching in the Remembrance Day parade today in Ottawa.

Today, there are only 6 Australian WWI veterans who are still living. Frank MacDonald was the lastest one to die on August 23 of this year at the age of 107.

In Britain, fewer than 50 veterans from WWI are estimated to be still living. The oldest British WWI veteran, Jack Davis, died on July 20, 2003. He was 108 and was suppose to meet the queen for the first time on the week that he died.

Belgian has only a few more Great War veterans, 2 to be exact. 104 year old Cyriel Barbary currently lives in United States and Emile Brichard currently lives in Belgium.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2021
Let's discuss the topic at hand, not who got to it first please.

--and no my post isn't off topic, for it's always my topic to show members the correct direction.

Stinger

Banned
Years
.....Thank you for lighting the way Kairi....

=)

latiosspud said:

Today, there are only 6 Australian WWI veterans who are still living. Frank MacDonald was the lastest one to die on August 23 of this year at the age of 107.

In Britain, fewer than 50 veterans from WWI are estimated to be still living. The oldest British WWI veteran, Jack Davis, died on July 20, 2003. He was 108 and was suppose to meet the queen for the first time on the week that he died.

Belgian has only a few more Great War veterans, 2 to be exact. 104 year old Cyriel Barbary currently lives in United States and Emile Brichard currently lives in Belgium.

Wow. Some old guys. Lived some looong lives.
108 is one of the longest I've ever heard of someone staying alive....

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
dang it... i planned to post out Flanders Field poem...

either way, did anyone actually listen to the Flanders Field song? My school played it yesterday during Remembrance Day "memorial." It's actually not bad of a song (however keep in mind that i have strange taste compare to average people)

Years
Sorry for double posting but I like to thank "The Globe and Mail" for providing me the names of the Canadian WWI veterans in the project they did last year called, "We are the Living." Anyway, here's a photo of Jean Chretien with WWI veteran Paul Metivier, who is 103 and lied about his age to a recruiting officer. The other photos are just three veterans that died this year.

Last edited:
Back