Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #12276    
Old August 25th, 2009 (1:01 PM).
txteclipse's Avatar
txteclipse txteclipse is offline
Peace & Goodwill
  • Gold Tier
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Diego
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The pathetic fallacy or anthropomorphic fallacy is the treatment of inanimate objects as if they had human feelings, thought, or sensations. The pathetic fallacy is a special case of the fallacy of reification. The word 'pathetic' in this use is related to 'empathy' (capability of feeling), and is not pejorative.
I guess I use that...although it's odd that you guys have it as a central theme.

What I really love to use, however, is hamartia, a.k.a tragic flaw. All of my main characters have one, and most of my secondary characters, at that.
__________________
Courage of the heart is very rare. The stone has a power when it's there.

sig art by かんな
avatar art by Nokocchi

Relevant Advertising!

  #12277    
Old August 25th, 2009 (7:07 PM). Edited August 25th, 2009 by Bay Alexison.
Bay Alexison's Avatar
Bay Alexison Bay Alexison is offline
O, Dance of Devotion!
  • Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dani California
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
Posts: 4,776
What literary device (good examples) do you like to use most, which one the least, and which one would you like to write more of?
I suck at literary devices. XD;

Well, I think creative license would be it. I used real life historical references like the Crusades and the Imperial Era to hit home the importance of knowing your history. Not only that, I also referenced events from the later Pokemon movies in context with the Sinnoh legends argument mentioned in NE many times.

I would love to do dramatic irony more. Haha, in NE I love how the readers know who done this and such already, but the characters don't. It's even more funnier that their guesses (the characters) are way offfffffffff.
__________________
  #12278    
Old August 25th, 2009 (8:20 PM).
Citrinin's Avatar
Citrinin Citrinin is offline
Nephrotoxic.
  • Crystal Tier
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Zealand
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 2,778
What literary device (good examples) do you like to use most, which one the least, and which one would you like to write more of?
Hmm, according to that list, "setting" is a literary device, and I make great use of that. I also like tragic flaws, although, interestingly enough, my main character has no tragic flaw: he's just a person who lived an upper class life and now is thrust into a situation where he must fight (which has all kinds of mini-flaws attached to it, like cowardice and gullibility).
__________________
~
  #12279    
Old August 25th, 2009 (8:42 PM).
Miz en Scène's Avatar
Miz en Scène Miz en Scène is offline
Everybody's connected
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: The Wired
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Calm
    Posts: 1,676
    What literary device (good examples) do you like to use most, which one the least, and which one would you like to write more of?
    I'd have to say Anthropomorphism. The Protagonist in my fic an hear Pokemon talking, therefore it is shown that they have personalities and are not merely dumb animals. I don't use the actual form of humans in Pokemon(except in one case but that's different) but I retain their original form and only change the way they talk.

    Also interested in Tragedy which will come into play I assure you. And Tragic Flaw. One of my protagonists greatest flaws is the fact that he has lost his memory. Other than that, he's a sadist(deep down inside) and almost a Nihilist to the point of ignoring Morality to a certain extent. This will come into play unless i change it... He does feel guilt, pain, and suffering but he feels it on a different level to that of regular people.
    __________________
    » Fiction «
    Havisham
    SWC 2011
    » Fanfiction «
    The Rainbow Chasers
    SWC 2016 (1st Place)
    ——
    The Promise I Made to You
    SWC 2012 (2nd Place)
    ——
    The Best
    Pokecreepypasta Entry 2010
    ——
    Using Firefox and see a scrollbar?
    Tell me so I can fix it! (Hopefully)
    » TBD «

    Want a fanfic review?
    Just ask me!

    Got a review from me?
    Pay it forward!
    Drop a comment or a review on someone else's fic. I'm sure they'll appreciate it!
      #12280    
    Old August 25th, 2009 (9:50 PM).
    Astinus's Avatar
    Astinus Astinus is offline
    Remember NovEnder
       
      Join Date: May 2006
      Location: Connecticut, USA
      Age: 30
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 9,959
      What literary device (good examples) do you like to use most, which one the least, and which one would you like to write more of?
      I like characters the most, and the plot obviously. And dialogue. As for what I like the least, there really isn't one on that list.

      I want to write more PLOT.

      This question is bugging me for some reason.
      __________________
      Now nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody speaks my name
      I'm just another blister in the mouth of shame
      A bug in Ender's Game

        #12281    
      Old August 25th, 2009 (10:00 PM).
      txteclipse's Avatar
      txteclipse txteclipse is offline
      Peace & Goodwill
      • Gold Tier
       
      Join Date: Sep 2007
      Location: San Diego
      Age: 27
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Quiet
      Posts: 2,324
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
      This question is bugging me for some reason.
      Sure it's not just your avatar?

      Pandora is wonderful. Writer's block is not. Nor is boredom. Nor is painting steps. Making money is, however. Not getting to spend it isn't, though.
      __________________
      Courage of the heart is very rare. The stone has a power when it's there.

      sig art by かんな
      avatar art by Nokocchi
        #12282    
      Old August 25th, 2009 (10:02 PM).
      Feign's Avatar
      Feign Feign is offline
      Clain
      • Platinum Tier
       
      Join Date: Dec 2008
      Location: Canada
      Nature: Quirky
      Posts: 4,299
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
      This question is bugging me for some reason.
      Because it assumes that a literary device must be present?

      Would there be a case when something couldn't be classified? XD I suppose scholars and such, have exhausted that sort of thing, long ago. However, like philosophy, new terms keep popping up.
      __________________
        #12283    
      Old August 25th, 2009 (10:15 PM).
      txteclipse's Avatar
      txteclipse txteclipse is offline
      Peace & Goodwill
      • Gold Tier
       
      Join Date: Sep 2007
      Location: San Diego
      Age: 27
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Quiet
      Posts: 2,324
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Feign View Post
      Because it assumes that a literary device must be present?

      Would there be a case when something couldn't be classified? XD I suppose scholars and such, have exhausted that sort of thing, long ago. However, like philosophy, new terms keep popping up.
      Well, new things are typically immediately classified. 9, a new movie coming out soon about living sackcloth dolls, has been classified as "stitchpunk," a term coined for it and the short it's based on.
      __________________
      Courage of the heart is very rare. The stone has a power when it's there.

      sig art by かんな
      avatar art by Nokocchi
        #12284    
      Old August 25th, 2009 (10:17 PM).
      Haz's Avatar
      Haz Haz is offline
      Haz ya seen my hack?
         
        Join Date: Nov 2008
        Location: Australia- Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!, Oi, Oi, Oi!
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Docile
        Posts: 698
        What literary device (good examples) do you like to use most, which one the least, and which one would you like to write more of?

        Ugh, I don't know, I just write what comes to mind and keep rewriting it till it sounds exactly perfect.

        Also I suck at Literacy Devices because I din't listen in English last year when we learnt about them :P
        __________________
        DeviantART: Haz-Za

        Fanfiction.net: Ha-Za-A


        Credits to Galukxy for this awesome banner
          #12285    
        Old August 25th, 2009 (10:34 PM). Edited August 25th, 2009 by Astinus.
        Astinus's Avatar
        Astinus Astinus is offline
        Remember NovEnder
           
          Join Date: May 2006
          Location: Connecticut, USA
          Age: 30
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 9,959
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Feign View Post
          Because it assumes that a literary device must be present?
          I just really get annoyed at the words "literary device" brought up in conversations.

          Like really annoyed.

          I just want this week over.
          __________________
          Now nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody speaks my name
          I'm just another blister in the mouth of shame
          A bug in Ender's Game

            #12286    
          Old August 25th, 2009 (10:36 PM).
          Redstar's Avatar
          Redstar Redstar is offline
             
            Join Date: Feb 2009
            Posts: 786
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Feign View Post
            Because it assumes that a literary device must be present?

            Would there be a case when something couldn't be classified? XD I suppose scholars and such, have exhausted that sort of thing, long ago. However, like philosophy, new terms keep popping up.
            Yeah, literary devices must be present because they're simply the application of archetypes to an art-form... Since archetypes are inherent to being human, and literary devices are archetypes applied, then the only way to avoid them is to not be human.

            Manage that, and you got yourself a story lacking (human) literary devices... But then you'd have the literary devices developed from alien archetypes.
              #12287    
            Old August 26th, 2009 (1:18 AM).
            txteclipse's Avatar
            txteclipse txteclipse is offline
            Peace & Goodwill
            • Gold Tier
             
            Join Date: Sep 2007
            Location: San Diego
            Age: 27
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Quiet
            Posts: 2,324
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
            I just really get annoyed at the words "literary device" brought up in conversations.

            Like really annoyed.

            I just want this week over.
            Our contest entries can't be that bad, can they? I don't really think about the building blocks of my writing, I just kind of type wherever my mind leads me. Upon review I can point out devices that I used, but I'm not like "oh, I'm going to use this device here!" I don't structure myself a lot, is what I guess I'm trying to say.

            Quote:
            Yeah, literary devices must be present because they're simply the application of archetypes to an art-form...
            I have to say I disagree. Do something new that hasn't been classified, and there will be no existing device to compare it to. Unless you're saying that all possible literary devices have already been discovered, to which I must also say that I disagree.
            __________________
            Courage of the heart is very rare. The stone has a power when it's there.

            sig art by かんな
            avatar art by Nokocchi
              #12288    
            Old August 26th, 2009 (1:57 AM). Edited August 26th, 2009 by Redstar.
            Redstar's Avatar
            Redstar Redstar is offline
               
              Join Date: Feb 2009
              Posts: 786
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by txteclipse
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Redstar
              Yeah, literary devices must be present because they're simply the application of archetypes to an art-form...
              I have to say I disagree. Do something new that hasn't been classified, and there will be no existing device to compare it to. Unless you're saying that all possible literary devices have already been discovered, to which I must also say that I disagree.
              I think this is where Astinus and others are bothered by the use of "Literary Device" in the prompt, which I wholly agree with and feel I can explain.

              A more proper term for what I was explaining would probably be "Literary Elements". No matter what you do, there's always going to be a plot and a character. Those are simply inherent to writing.

              Now, the difference between literary elements and literary devices are how those elements are used. A plot is always present, but story isn't (Plot = frame, Story = form). A character is always present, but characterization isn't.

              Literary Devices are like a vehicle which carries the basic plot and expresses it as something more than simply beginning, middle, end. They're something a bad writer leaves out, a good writer simply includes, and an exceptional writer weaves into the very fabric of the piece.

              Literary elements, which are few, will always be there and most likely have been entirely described. But the devices, the vehicle the writer uses in expressing those elements, are still something a writer can spend a lifetime crafting and developing and never find them all.
                #12289    
              Old August 26th, 2009 (9:46 PM).
              JX Valentine's Avatar
              JX Valentine JX Valentine is offline
              Your aquatic overlord
                 
                Join Date: May 2004
                Location: Harassing Bill
                Age: 29
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Bold
                Posts: 3,280
                Hey, did anyone else happen to notice that (according to this webpage, but yes, in general as well) the term "literary device" is just an umbrella term for things that also include devices and techniques, meaning elements and techniques are devices but just subsets in the same way a falcon is a hawk but not necessarily vice versa?

                I'd continue this snarky response except my sugarmama over there kinda stole the rest of this train of thought before it even happened.

                With that said, I'm back from a two-week vacation, I'm jet-lagged, and I was reminded yet again why airports make me want to set kittens on fire. I'm also tl;dr'ing the majority of what you all posted during my absence for hopefully understandable reasons, so I'm just going to assume you all went wild with the metaphoric fire extinguisher and go catch up on the other threads I need to read. *salutes*
                __________________
                Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

                Need some light reading?
                Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
                The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
                Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
                Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
                  #12290    
                Old August 26th, 2009 (9:54 PM).
                Bay Alexison's Avatar
                Bay Alexison Bay Alexison is offline
                O, Dance of Devotion!
                • Moderator
                 
                Join Date: May 2006
                Location: Dani California
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Sassy
                Posts: 4,776
                Hey there, Valentine! Hoped you enjoyed your vacation. :3

                Yeah, I did notice, but not exactly sure why literary elements and literary devices have to be distinguish and they sound similar, but at the same time, not. O.o
                __________________
                  #12291    
                Old August 26th, 2009 (9:57 PM).
                Astinus's Avatar
                Astinus Astinus is offline
                Remember NovEnder
                   
                  Join Date: May 2006
                  Location: Connecticut, USA
                  Age: 30
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 9,959
                  ;; I squeaked in happiness.

                  And I noticed. But didn't say anything for some reason or another.
                  __________________
                  Now nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody speaks my name
                  I'm just another blister in the mouth of shame
                  A bug in Ender's Game

                    #12292    
                  Old August 26th, 2009 (10:08 PM).
                  Miz en Scène's Avatar
                  Miz en Scène Miz en Scène is offline
                  Everybody's connected
                     
                    Join Date: Sep 2008
                    Location: The Wired
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Calm
                    Posts: 1,676
                    Welcome back Val. :D
                    Yep, I noticed that too but I didn't think it was that relevant to the current conversation.
                    __________________
                    » Fiction «
                    Havisham
                    SWC 2011
                    » Fanfiction «
                    The Rainbow Chasers
                    SWC 2016 (1st Place)
                    ——
                    The Promise I Made to You
                    SWC 2012 (2nd Place)
                    ——
                    The Best
                    Pokecreepypasta Entry 2010
                    ——
                    Using Firefox and see a scrollbar?
                    Tell me so I can fix it! (Hopefully)
                    » TBD «

                    Want a fanfic review?
                    Just ask me!

                    Got a review from me?
                    Pay it forward!
                    Drop a comment or a review on someone else's fic. I'm sure they'll appreciate it!
                      #12293    
                    Old August 26th, 2009 (10:12 PM).
                    Redstar's Avatar
                    Redstar Redstar is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Feb 2009
                      Posts: 786
                      I hadn't noticed, which is funny because my spiel on the subject seem to be exactly right. =D
                        #12294    
                      Old August 26th, 2009 (10:23 PM).
                      Feign's Avatar
                      Feign Feign is offline
                      Clain
                      • Platinum Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Dec 2008
                      Location: Canada
                      Nature: Quirky
                      Posts: 4,299
                      Well you know what they say:

                      You learn something new everyday.

                      And welcome back Val, hope you had a nice trip.

                      I like flying myself, means something new for me (traveling away), and yearning to come home (on the way back). But it is nice to not have to live out of a luggage bag... (did that for 9 months).

                      You know, I really gotta start saving up for it, but I want to go to New Zealand. And not just travel there, but live there...

                      By the by, playing Arkham Asylum on X-box 360 is fun.

                      Okay new bold topic that doesn't involve ambiguous words (or at least I hope not, haha):

                      When/if you do travel, do you try or purposely (even accidently), include settings akin to where you have traveled?

                      I haven't really given myself the opportunity to do so (aside from some attempted RP setting which didn't work to well). Anyway, for the future, however, I'd probably try to include places similar to that of Indonesia, and the Outback and Tasmania in Australia, even a bit of urban-ness if need be, for Perth.
                      __________________
                        #12295    
                      Old August 26th, 2009 (10:34 PM).
                      Miz en Scène's Avatar
                      Miz en Scène Miz en Scène is offline
                      Everybody's connected
                         
                        Join Date: Sep 2008
                        Location: The Wired
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Calm
                        Posts: 1,676
                        When/if you do travel, do you try or purposely (even accidently), include settings akin to where you have traveled?
                        Well no not really since I don't do that much traveling. The only country I've ever travelled to aside from my home country would have to be England. I do however, include settings from places I've seen on the Internet.XD
                        __________________
                        » Fiction «
                        Havisham
                        SWC 2011
                        » Fanfiction «
                        The Rainbow Chasers
                        SWC 2016 (1st Place)
                        ——
                        The Promise I Made to You
                        SWC 2012 (2nd Place)
                        ——
                        The Best
                        Pokecreepypasta Entry 2010
                        ——
                        Using Firefox and see a scrollbar?
                        Tell me so I can fix it! (Hopefully)
                        » TBD «

                        Want a fanfic review?
                        Just ask me!

                        Got a review from me?
                        Pay it forward!
                        Drop a comment or a review on someone else's fic. I'm sure they'll appreciate it!
                          #12296    
                        Old August 26th, 2009 (10:35 PM).
                        JX Valentine's Avatar
                        JX Valentine JX Valentine is offline
                        Your aquatic overlord
                           
                          Join Date: May 2004
                          Location: Harassing Bill
                          Age: 29
                          Gender: Female
                          Nature: Bold
                          Posts: 3,280
                          Thanks for the welcomes, folks.

                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
                          I hadn't noticed, which is funny because my spiel on the subject seem to be exactly right. =D
                          From what I understood of your other post, you seemed to be confusing literary devices with literary techniques. Some people consider techniques and devices to be synonyms of one another, but if we're going off this website (and a few other sources), then device is the overall term for elements and techniques. Meaning, as I've said before, an element is a device, but a device can be either an element or a technique.

                          That said...

                          When/if you do travel, do you try or purposely (even accidently), include settings akin to where you have traveled?

                          Occasionally, but I always feel weird when I consciously base something off my own experiences. (No particular reason why. I just do.) Instead, I usually try to go for pictures of places I haven't gone or just make things up out of pure thin air.
                          __________________
                          Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

                          Need some light reading?
                          Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
                          The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
                          Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
                          Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
                            #12297    
                          Old August 26th, 2009 (10:37 PM). Edited August 26th, 2009 by Redstar.
                          Redstar's Avatar
                          Redstar Redstar is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Feb 2009
                            Posts: 786
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
                            From what I understood of your other post, you seemed to be confusing literary devices with literary techniques. Some people consider techniques and devices to be synonyms of one another, but if we're going off this website (and a few other sources), then device is the overall term for elements and techniques. Meaning, as I've said before, an element is a device, but a device can be either an element or a technique.
                            I'm not confusing anything. We don't need to make two simple terms more confusing then they need to be, when when we get down to the basics of it all what really matters are the messages they express, not the semantics.

                            Literary elements, as stated by that site and me, are the common aspects of stories that are always present whether you try or not. Literary devices are how you use said elements... A device is an object used to complete a task, so if we think of literary devices as a vehicle for expressing literary elements, then how you drive said vehicle/device would be technique. The terms are one and the same.
                              #12298    
                            Old August 26th, 2009 (10:40 PM).
                            Citrinin's Avatar
                            Citrinin Citrinin is offline
                            Nephrotoxic.
                            • Crystal Tier
                             
                            Join Date: Jun 2009
                            Location: New Zealand
                            Age: 21
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Relaxed
                            Posts: 2,778
                            When/if you do travel, do you try or purposely (even accidentally), include settings akin to where you have traveled?
                            No. I like settings to be unfamiliar and new. Characters I'll tend to base off familiar characteristics, but not setting. :P
                            __________________
                            ~
                              #12299    
                            Old August 26th, 2009 (10:53 PM).
                            JX Valentine's Avatar
                            JX Valentine JX Valentine is offline
                            Your aquatic overlord
                               
                              Join Date: May 2004
                              Location: Harassing Bill
                              Age: 29
                              Gender: Female
                              Nature: Bold
                              Posts: 3,280
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Redstar View Post
                              I'm not confusing anything. I think of literary devices and techniques as the same thing.
                              The point is that the spiel isn't necessarily exactly right because not everyone considers them to be the same thing, as evidenced by the offered website.

                              To be very specific, a device is defined as "a rule of thumb, convention, or structure that is employed in literature and storytelling," which implies that it covers both the concept of an element as you defined it as well as the concept of a technique.
                              __________________
                              Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

                              Need some light reading?
                              Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
                              The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
                              Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
                              Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
                                #12300    
                              Old August 26th, 2009 (10:56 PM).
                              Redstar's Avatar
                              Redstar Redstar is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: Feb 2009
                                Posts: 786
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
                                The point is that the spiel isn't necessarily exactly right because not everyone considers them to be the same thing, as evidenced by the offered website.

                                To be very specific, a device is defined as "a rule of thumb, convention, or structure that is employed in literature and storytelling," which implies that it covers both the concept of an element as you defined it as well as the concept of a technique.
                                Look above. I expanded my post and clarified what I meant.
                                Closed Thread
                                Quick Reply

                                Sponsored Links
                                Thread Tools

                                Posting Rules
                                You may not post new threads
                                You may not post replies
                                You may not post attachments
                                You may not edit your posts

                                BB code is On
                                Smilies are On
                                [IMG] code is On
                                HTML code is Off

                                Forum Jump


                                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:39 PM.