• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What about fangames annoys you most? [Aspiring developers look here!]

What is the worst thing(s) about Pokemon fangames?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
Years
Incorrect spelling/grammar annoys me.

It annoys me more when the game gives an easy button to the fire starter. It especially annoys me when, at an early stage of the game, you have access to Pokemon such as Riolu, Togepi, Eevee, or other rare/event Pokemon that you usually get only one of in the first place.

It gets worse when the story is based entirely around those sorts of Pokemon. Noobish, overrated as fack Pokemon getting the spotlight. It's annoying when the games sellout because they cater directly to fanboys instead of people looking for original content.

Bad fakemon can suck, too. :|

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
I think a good game needs good grammar as well as good spelling. Furthermore I think that seeing screenshots is really vital for the appreciation of a game. At last , a project that has bad planning will take a lot longer and is probably not meant to be finished at all.

Dandaman955

The not-so new guy anymore =(
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 2, 2019
my problem is fakemon, because after that they will spread rumours that a certain fakemon is in red / blue.

Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2009
i always enjoy playing an h game once in a while as much as they annoy me.. with their unrealistic scenarios what do you mean by fangamesI was inspired to make this, because mostly every other Zelda fangame is either ... I don't want to discourage you at all because, like you even said, most GM ... because it annoys me alot for some reason,.......

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 14, 2013
Are fake pokémon a bad thing? Oh God. °-°
Anyway, I hate mispellings, 'cause I'm not english and it is normally difficult to play english games. With mispellings it becomes impossible!

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I got a report saying this thread should of been locked 2 months ago, period....
Can I just declare publicly...
It's a sticky thread you moron!
The reaosn why it is sticky is so people have a place where they can voice their opinion on this issue, without fear of "bumping" a thread. It is an important question that members should read since you gain great feedback, and unless your posting a demo of your game, that is why you advertise it- so you can get a fan base and feedback before the demo comes out.

Please feel free to report offensive posts or regular threads and I'll deal with it, and before you hit that button, use common sense please.
Thanks.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
I got a report saying this thread should of been locked 2 months ago, period....
Can I just declare publicly...
It's a sticky thread you moron!
The reaosn why it is sticky is so people have a place where they can voice their opinion on this issue, without fear of "bumping" a thread. It is an important question that members should read since you gain great feedback, and unless your posting a demo of your game, that is why you advertise it- so you can get a fan base and feedback before the demo comes out.

Please feel free to report offensive posts or regular threads and I'll deal with it, and before you hit that button, use common sense please.
Thanks.
What does any of that have to do with anything on here..?

Years
Well, I believe that it's to remind those who are report monsters that if it's a stickied thread, that the revival rule is invalid.. That's just me though.

Anyways, back on topic; I can't stand it when it comes from an anime perspective. Where as there is always ONE character that tags along with your team for an unexpected amount of time after JUST meeting the said protagonist. Now, I don't keep track of the anime anymore, due to the annoying voice known as Ash, but if I recall; didn't Misty, Brock, Tracy, May, Max, AND Dawn join this little kid they had just met? Misty.. Well, I understand her point of view. Be that as it may, the lack of features and/or programmed 'lies.' I don't want to waste my time sitting for a game that was said to have brilliant features and turns out it was all for naught.

Next comes grammar. I simple CANNOT stand it when people simple spam ellipses otherwise known as the "..." after every damn word. If they aren't keen to people interaction, then lock them on some island somewhere and give them provocation to talk like Shatner. Along with the grammar topic, I can understand a few typos and whatnot, but complete sentences full of fragments, run-on phrases, and sheer destruction of the human language will more than likely send me into a fatal seizure. Now, before I end my rant, let me end it with this; 13375P34K.

If I see anything remotely similar to chat/leetspeak in ANY fangame, no matter how good it may be, I will not play it. I'm not going to complain or whine here, but if you have the attention span along with capabilites to create your own game, you have the capabilites to type out your words. How hard is it to type 'one' instead of '1'? While I realize, it's easier to do that, it makes you look more unprofessional than you think..

Well, that's about it honestly; anyways, if I think of anything else, I'll be sure to rant post here!

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
Years
*Niprop pops out of the ground wearing a hard helmet*

Okay, lets keep things short and simple here.

1.) Yes, I suppose this is the Pockét Monster Communication Forum
(Or at least that's what I think the full name is) for "everyone", but lets get something straight here. When making splices and hacks, there's no excuse. Bad grammar and spelling errors are what break a game. Want an example of the stuff I'm talkin' about?

"hey <Insert Character Name here> prof <insert vulgar, mispelled swear word here> wants you m aby its to get a newpokrmon"

"oh its you.hi my name is <Insert Rival name here> an wth ur gettin ga pokemon to?"

"oh so your then ew traenr everyones talking about.here tkae 1 of these pokemno for you adventure"

<badly resized Darkrai with Charmander's cry>
<Ugly Fakémon that looks like something a 5 year old might smear on the walls with finger paints>
Eevee

Urgh, that was painful to type. Anyways, when I see things like that in a hack game, usually shake my head in disapointment, dump it into the trash bin, delete the shortcut, and then delete the abomination itself. I honsetly just want to kick something whenever I see "it me ur pal prof <Vulgar mispelled swear word>"or anything similar. But that's not the worst part, oh no, it is not. These are some of the worst quotes I could muster to pull out of a hack game. (I couldn't bring myself to pull in anything with swear words in it, I just can't!)

"luz i jsut fond alot of masterbals inthst caver mabe u should go iside"

"so u thin kur reddy 4 teh l88t 4 well i dont thin kso because im thebest so sho me wat u got luz"

"oh hey <character name> omg did i didnt mean it in any specal way no were jsut frends uh gotta go byt ;) "

I'll go insane if I have to type any more of this..."Stuff." Spelling errors in one thing, but leet speak is when it gets to the point of garbage. Sure, I can forgive you if it's part of the plot and dignified, but more often then not, it's just the hack's creator trying to be funny/cool/annoying.

2.)

With that out of the way, lets get to the next part. STORY LINE. Yes, I know it's a pain to re-invent the wheel, but clich
é story lines get repetative and boring after a while. Here's a list of the most obvious ones:

"Evil team <Bad/Cool Thing> is trying to to something bad. You, having just turned 10, the hero of the story, will go on a journey to collect gym badgers, Beat the Elite Four, and stop the evil team <Bad/Cool Thing>, becoming the "best" trainer of all time in the process."

"It is written, only <character name> can defeat <bad guys>. Using the legendary XXXX*, you will embark on an adventure to fulfill your destiny!"

"Oh noez Darkrai is takin over teh world & u must stop hem!"

"You must calm the legendary <thing> in order to save <region>!"

Can also be Eevee.

If your general storyline falls into one of those categories, I suggest that you should SERIOUSLY consider revising somethings.

3.)

Finally, the part you've all been waiting for, Fake-It Monstrosities. Sure, every once in a while, a fake will come out that's not half-bad, but usually, I've seen...Well, I've seen too many freaks to list them all, and some of them are hard to describe, so I'll just list what "bad" Fak
émon generally look like:

A crudely scratched sprite that looks like
something a 5 year old might smear on the walls with finger paints

complete with full black outlining, little to no shading, disproportionate features, and worst of all, it's usually supposed to be a starter, Legendary, or in extreme cases, an Eeveelution.

A cheaply done splice that's supposed to be an evolution to an existing poke. I'm sorry, but ripping off Pikachu's head, sticking it onto Dragonite's torso, and painting it a single shade of yellow to top it off is just not enough to justify an alternate evolution.

Stolen artwork from some random game nobody has ever heard (or cared) about. It just ruins the atmosphere when your level 23 Ivysaur is fighting against a giant robot with lazer-cannons sticking out of it's back, swords for arms, wings that don't seem to serve any purpose, and chains protruding from various areas of it's body.

Reused crys. How am I supposed to be afraid of MewfourZ when it has Minun's cry!?

Boy, that was long. Well, now I'm burned out... ...

/Rant

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
*Niprop pops out of the ground wearing a hard helmet*

Okay, lets keep things short and simple here.

1.) Yes, I suppose this is the Pockét Monster Communication Forum
(Or at least that's what I think the full name is) for "everyone", but lets get something straight here. When making splices and hacks, there's no excuse. Bad grammar and spelling errors are what break a game. Want an example of the stuff I'm talkin' about?

"hey <Insert Character Name here> prof <insert vulgar, mispelled swear word here> wants you m aby its to get a newpokrmon"

"oh its you.hi my name is <Insert Rival name here> an wth ur gettin ga pokemon to?"

"oh so your then ew traenr everyones talking about.here tkae 1 of these pokemno for you adventure"

<badly resized Darkrai with Charmander's cry>
<Ugly Fakémon that looks like something a 5 year old might smear on the walls with finger paints>
Eevee

Urgh, that was painful to type. Anyways, when I see things like that in a hack game, usually shake my head in disapointment, dump it into the trash bin, delete the shortcut, and then delete the abomination itself. I honsetly just want to kick something whenever I see "it me ur pal prof <Vulgar mispelled swear word>"or anything similar. But that's not the worst part, oh no, it is not. These are some of the worst quotes I could muster to pull out of a hack game. (I couldn't bring myself to pull in anything with swear words in it, I just can't!)

"luz i jsut fond alot of masterbals inthst caver mabe u should go iside"

"so u thin kur reddy 4 teh l88t 4 well i dont thin kso because im thebest so sho me wat u got luz"

"oh hey <character name> omg did i didnt mean it in any specal way no were jsut frends uh gotta go byt ;) "

I'll go insane if I have to type any more of this..."Stuff." Spelling errors in one thing, but leet speak is when it gets to the point of garbage. Sure, I can forgive you if it's part of the plot and dignified, but more often then not, it's just the hack's creator trying to be funny/cool/annoying.

2.)

With that out of the way, lets get to the next part. STORY LINE. Yes, I know it's a pain to re-invent the wheel, but clich
é story lines get repetative and boring after a while. Here's a list of the most obvious ones:

"Evil team <Bad/Cool Thing> is trying to to something bad. You, having just turned 10, the hero of the story, will go on a journey to collect gym badgers, Beat the Elite Four, and stop the evil team <Bad/Cool Thing>, becoming the "best" trainer of all time in the process."

"It is written, only <character name> can defeat <bad guys>. Using the legendary XXXX*, you will embark on an adventure to fulfill your destiny!"

"Oh noez Darkrai is takin over teh world & u must stop hem!"

"You must calm the legendary <thing> in order to save <region>!"

Can also be Eevee.

If your general storyline falls into one of those categories, I suggest that you should SERIOUSLY consider revising somethings.

3.)

Finally, the part you've all been waiting for, Fake-It Monstrosities. Sure, every once in a while, a fake will come out that's not half-bad, but usually, I've seen...Well, I've seen too many freaks to list them all, and some of them are hard to describe, so I'll just list what "bad" Fak
émon generally look like:

A crudely scratched sprite that looks like

complete with full black outlining, little to no shading, disproportionate features, and worst of all, it's usually supposed to be a starter, Legendary, or in extreme cases, an Eeveelution.

A cheaply done splice that's supposed to be an evolution to an existing poke. I'm sorry, but ripping off Pikachu's head, sticking it onto Dragonite's torso, and painting it a single shade of yellow to top it off is just not enough to justify an alternate evolution.

Stolen artwork from some random game nobody has ever heard (or cared) about. It just ruins the atmosphere when your level 23 Ivysaur is fighting against a giant robot with lazer-cannons sticking out of it's back, swords for arms, wings that don't seem to serve any purpose, and chains protruding from various areas of it's body.

Reused crys. How am I supposed to be afraid of MewfourZ when it has Minun's cry!?

Boy, that was long. Well, now I'm burned out... ...

/Rant

I haven't actually seen any games as bad as you've described... There are a few in the Plot and Story Ideas section that have nonsense plots, but I have never seen a game with grammar and spelling that bad. Most games with fakemon here have pretty decent sprites; there are very few (maybe less than one in four) whose quality isn't too good.

I notice you said 'hack games' in there. Now, if you head over to the ROM Hacking forum (especially the Scrapbox), your complaints seem to ring truer :P

Oh, and what's with the convoluted formatting in that post? Now that is something that annoys me :(

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
Years
I haven't actually seen any games as bad as you've described... There are a few in the Plot and Story Ideas section that have nonsense plots, but I have never seen a game with grammar and spelling that bad. Most games with fakemon here have pretty decent sprites; there are very few (maybe less than one in four) whose quality isn't too good.

I notice you said 'hack games' in there. Now, if you head over to the ROM Hacking forum (especially the Scrapbox), your complaints seem to ring truer :P

Oh, and what's with the convoluted formatting in that post? Now that is something that annoys me :(
Well the fact he thinks this part of the forum is for hacks leads you to beleive he hasn't in fact seen any hacks that bad, since he doesn't even know where that section is...

Yume Tsuki

(/ ゚ヮ゚)/彡 ┻━┻
Years
I don't do many fangames, but I will vote on the base of doing PWO and have done Pokemon Indigo/Volcano.

PWO is good, except for the shapeshifting bug. (my poor charmeleon lv 20 became a Mareep lv 5.. D: ..) And the servers are down a lot at the moment. Guess that prevents me from playin' it.. (too bad)

Pokémon Indigo also lags a lot, and I had many moments where the battle froze and never got on so the only option was going away from battle.. (omfg I missed the pokemon I wanted that way) Volcano was good, but that one was gone. Thus Indigo got made. Indigo is bigger and has not only wild pokemon of lv 12 what is a good point between volcano, but it lags alot ruining the game expirience.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
Years
Well the fact he thinks this part of the forum is for hacks leads you to beleive he hasn't in fact seen any hacks that bad, since he doesn't even know where that section is...

*Failed to read Blurb*

Oh right, this forum is about the games using RPGmaker and Similar tools, rather then mutilating FireRed (and sometimes Emerald for the gutsier people out there) like I'm used to seeing. In that case...Forget everything I said. I haven't tried hack games in a looong time, before I was part of the Community, and from the videos I've seen on Youtube, hacking didn't seem to get any better from that time on. I've never played a Non-Hacked, built from scratch Pokémon game before, so my views on this stuff are invalid. From what you're describing though, most scratch games are 3x times better then the average chop & slice...

Congratulations, you have found a person being an idiot on the internet! You win!

Edit:

Yeesh, well, I can see I'm not wanted on this topic anymore.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2022
What really is annoying to me is grammar/spelling. Another thing that's annoying is the fake pokemon

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
lol this topic was brought back to life? lol I only have a problem with alot of progress and then the games gats trshed

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Says a user with a Pokémon Amethyst userbar in their sig :P

I just found that a bit ironic XD

It is at that...

And I hate when the English language is mangled in games... And playing Quartz has done naught but exacerbate that. o.o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back