• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Trial Period on Name Changes

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
Years
I've been thinking about name changes etc lately, and it always seems that a majority of the time a user gets a name change, they're sick of it rather fast.

So my suggestion is, have I suppose 1 week trial period on new name changes, if the person dislikes their new name enough to want their old one back before the trial period is up, they can have the option to have it changed back, however they must wait their 3/4 months over again, to prevent it being spammed.

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
Years
I honestly like this idea. I didn't like this name like 2-4 days after and it was too late D:

I support this idea 100%

But honestly, it could be a strain on the admins, at least i'd think it would?

Taemin

[i][b]MOVE[/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
Yeeeah.. the strain on the admins is the only problem that I see. D: Since most of them are too busy to want to hassle with the normal name changes most of the time. Let alone the trial periods.. xD; but then again, I can't speak for them. Sooo..

This is a neat idea, though.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
lol no.
That's why we tell people to make absolutely sure they want their name changed before they request it.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
I can only agree with this if it doesn't allow name changes for another 4 months(or three, depends.) I can only think of people saying "Can I change my name to "x," can I change it back? Can I change my name to "Y?" etc." So much SPAM.

I think that if the admins were willing, they would do it./unoriginal
Darn, an admin got to here before me ;__;

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
Years
This does sound like a good idea... however, I don;t think it would work. I mean like a few have said, it would jsut add more stress to the staffers. Plus, with so many people requesting names, alot of them don't respond to them right away. So... it would just add more stress to them. D:

Not only that but too many people would take advantage of it too. It just wouldn't work for it.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
Years
Um... what is the point in that. Just tell an admin you want your old name back. I dont' think there is a "trial period" function, since everything has to be input by an admin, doesn't it?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Honestly, if you choose a name and get sick of it a week later, you obviously didn't put enough thought into your name change and as consequence (so that you learn your lesson), you should have to stick with it so it won't happen again.

Think of it as an incentive to not take your username so lightly.

World King

Twilight Silver Beast
Years
Honestly, if you choose a name and get sick of it a week later, you obviously didn't put enough thought into your name change and as consequence (so that you learn your lesson), you should have to stick with it so it won't happen again.

Think of it as an incentive to not take your username so lightly.
Well, that's Admin talk for "No, we're not implementing a name-change Trial Period". Right, Erica?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Well, I'd say Mork's post was indicative of that too but a second opinion never hurts. ;(

The Darkest Gale

Welcome to my life
Years
I thought for like 2 weeks about my name change ;D
what about an anouncement just to tell them about thinking about it before they get it
just a suggestion but like practically everyone has said it would make admins life more strain =/ which wouldn't be fair

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Doesn't this idea support the idea of egoism and its necessity for forum community "approval"?

I mean, you'd want a name that means the most to you, and not anyone else... And like Lightning said, if you want a name change in less than a week's time, you haven't thought of one hard enough.

Just think of it like a tattoo...

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
Um... what is the point in that. Just tell an admin you want your old name back. I dont' think there is a "trial period" function, since everything has to be input by an admin, doesn't it?

The point is Admins won't just give you your old name back.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Why would this happen? Ever? It's obvious most PC users would abuse the feature should it be implemented.

Also, it's all very well sugesting this and having people say neato, but if you looked around a bit you'd realise how boring it is to change someone's username. The three/four month thing is there to stop an onslaught of requests everyday. If this new feature hit the forum, the activity of that thread would surge like crazy.

And on top of that, username changes aren't compulsary, nor will they ever be. To put it bluntly, you should be happy that you're able to change your username at all. There are some forums that don't let you change your username. Stop pushing it.

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 18, 2015
You'd have to be a monkey for regretting it under three months...

Azonic

hello friends
Years
Maybe if there's a way where members can test out their names by themselves, but only the member itself can see his/her trial name. :o

idk Is that even possible? lol.

Poké!

And as the world ends...
Years
I think it would be much easier on the staff if users were able to change thier own names, like on the webs.com forum program. A lot of users would probably like that too, including me.

Azonic

hello friends
Years
I think it would be much easier on the staff if users were able to change thier own names, like on the webs.com forum program. A lot of users would probably like that too, including me.
Y'know there are rules that a name has to abide to. As in, things like "your name can't be too long" "can't stretch the page" "no inappropriate words" "no names that a staff member previously had" etc. They have to be validated by staff, right? I mean, soon you'll have 60 variants of Amachi running around (including me :D) if we were to add the self-change thing. :(

Poké!

And as the world ends...
Years
Well, when I said that of course I meant set the rules to it like if your name is too long it will reject it, if you choose a previous staff name = rejection. The Basics. Sure it'd probably be a hassle to set up, but once done it will be easier for the staff and stuff.

Back