• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Hidden Ties

What do you think of the storyline?

• Epic! One of the best I've seen!

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Great, it's looking pretty good!

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Mediocre, could definitely be better.

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • An embarrassment to hackers everywhere.

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
What is Team Legend?
Why are they racing against the infamous Team Rocket, racing to what, where?
Who is this strange child of the forest, and why are both factions so interested in that child?

Ancient forces are stirring. The Yaesu region rushes unknowing towards a terrible clash between two titanic forces...

All of this will hinge upon one young child, with a very special gift...

Hack base: Firered

Hidden Ties is my first shot at a publicized hack. Feedback would be much appreciated.

Here's the basic storyline:
Spoiler:

In-Depth Storyline/Fanfic
For a far more in-depth storyline, check out the fanfic thingy here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=5525153#post5525153
...I didn't mean for that to become a fanfic, but there's really no other way to describe it now.

Well, I'll be trying out a few unorthodox techniques in this game, and one of them will be using the setvar command to create variable decisions throughout the game that will cause your choices to affect how other events play out. For instance, you might decide to kick a baby Larvitar very early in the game, and are then stalked and eventually eaten by its mother. Don't expect too many of these, they'll be a pain to script, but I can promise that there will be at least one climactic decision that could well decide the fate of the region.
I'm also planning to throw in a few optional side areas and stuff, bonus missions, that sort of thing, so we'll see how that goes. I already know at least two, though one of them isn't really optional... If you have a really good idea for a side mission, feel free to post it, but put it in spoilers please.

Screenshots: (NOTE: newly updated!)
Spoiler:

I'm using the following programs:
Spoiler:

Features:
Okay, and maybe I'll post a list of features, so you can see what I'm up to... I'm not going to make a ton of these; I don't want to turn into one of those hacks with a million bonus features that never leaves the creator's computer.
Spoiler:

For those among you who wish to help.
Let me first say that if you offer to be a beta tester I will ignore you, shun you, and generally pretend you don't exist. I will select my own Beta testers when I get to that stage. As for the other positions...
Spoiler:

As I finish more of this I will steadily post screenshots, maps and such.
Completion:
Maps-35%
Scripts-30%
New Pokemon-?%
Storyline-90%

Time I started a credits list, I suppose:
Cooley-Scripting help and obnoxious rival.
Mervyn 797-Creator of a totally awesome support bar
Destindjagold-Helped me out with a scripting issue and really taught me a lot.
Giradialkia-Beta tester, support bar creator, cry editor, and sprite/icon inserter. Too awesome for words. I also owe him credit for some great mapping advice. Really, this project would have died without his help.
Dark vs. Light-Creator of a second, similarly awesome support bar :)
NiKaNoRoU-Freakishly talented spriter.
Chrunch-Illustrious mapper :D
Metapod23-Scripting help
Pokeyomom-Fakemon concept
n0rul3s-Spriter
r0bert-mapper

I'm hopeless at support bars, but some of the supporters of this hack have made some fantastic ones, check 'em out!

Spoiler:

And finally, if you have any ideas, post them. I promise not to bite your head off, and if it's a really good idea then I will use it (with your permission) and give you credit. I might even make you some sort of NPC, and I mean a cool one, not some nerd with glasses in a house somewhere who says "I contributed!" (Of course, if this hack goes really, really badly, you'll wish I hadn't mentioned you :). Too late for you Mervyn, I have plans for you.)
...wonders how the heck he will get an NPC name out of "Giradialkia..."

Release!
Known Bugs:
Spoiler:

NOTES:
1. Battle Wild Pokemon to level up early in the game, as they're all you'll have to face.
2. This is a difficult game. Don't play it if you're looking for a cakewalk.
3. The Yaesu Elite are a side-quest, you don't have to battle them, but you'll get stuff if you do. They're also ridiculously strong, so be careful!
4. Explore each area thoroughly. There's at least one instance where you'll learn a lot by looking around.

Alpha 1 Download link: Alpha 1.ips

Beta 1 Download link: Beta1-tested.ips

Beta 1 Megaupload Mirror: Beta1-tested.ips

Tell me what you think!

Last edited:

Hedgehogger

Learning ASM, but struggling
Years
I like the storyline a lot, and I'm pretty sure anyone can appreciate a game with positive/negative outcomes. (Will the Tyranitar spit you back out? ;p)

As far as the Rom base goes, the trees and all look decent, but the tall grass...It's just so contrasty. It looks kind of funny being lighter at the bottom where a shadow or something would be. And on your Gardevoir OW: Is that one of the in-game palettes? If it is, I think it has a lighter shade of green in its palette; Maybe you could use that instead of the brownish color in the hair?

But yeah, this hack definitely looks promising. The sad part is, I would help with sprites, if I weren't so busy lazy.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2011
the first map is kinda blank x_x
but hold on, the other ones are awesome! the tree placement is also good!

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Alright, thanks for all the comments.
mervyn, you're right about the Hallowed Grove Map, I'll be changing that up soon.
Sorry, but I probably won't be changing the DP tileset after all, hedgehogger, because I'd have to reinstall all the information for the Pokemon I added, which would be a major pain. I'll look at it in block editor though, and see if I can darken it or something.
Ruka_Prince, thanks for the complement, and even more for the criticism. Okay, here's my problem in that area. I'm color-blind, so I can't tell if her hair is green or red... If someone would do a new Gardevoir for me IN A PALLETE THAT IS ALREADY IN THE GAME, I'll insert that instead. for now, I guess I could outline the Gardevoir. Sorry about that, it was only my second shot at an OW.
...My Ralts is probably pretty bad too. Although there's an interesting glitch I've found now where if you exit the start menu while you can see Ralts, you become Ralts and the hero OW just sits there.
I'm not sure just how much I want in the Alpha, but for now I'm planning on putting a good amount in, so you're not bored to death.
I'm afraid Gardevoir might have to wait a bit; scripting and mapping are higher priority right now.
By the way, whoever voted that the plotline was an embarassment to hackers... I'm coming for you. :P

By the way, Hedgehogger, no, the Tyranitar chews and swallows :)

Hmm, a lot of people have been voting in the poll, but not posting. If you vote, please write a quick post saying why you voted whatever you did, so I can focus on that and make the hack better.

Last edited:

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2011
okay, i made a banner :)
its the first time ive put a pokemon in it. x_x
lol
hiddenties.png

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Mervyn, that's awesome, I love it! I'll post it right now, thanks!
By the way everyone, I've run into a scripting issue, but I'm working around it while it sits hopefully in the script help thread and finishing up some other stuff while I wait. If you want to help with my script though, I'd really appreciate it. Check Script Help thread.
Oh, and Mervyn, I updated the Hallowed Grove map, so let me know what you think. I'll be updating Tangled way soon too, and Pike Peaks (both maps have some gaping empty spots.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Okay I'll just make a quick post here with my opinions on what I've seen. I skimmed through the storyline (forgive me XD) but i feel, from what I've seen, it's rather odd. Not saying it's bad, it's just rather different and very unorthodox. Now, you said the hero will be able to talk to pokemon, something evil is coming, so you are needed to meet others like you to save the region from destruction. You shuould expand. What is coming? Give a slight more insight on this. Also show WHY you are needed, not just saying your power can save the world. I know what you're trying to say, but expand on your point as it's some what vague as to why you are needed so badly, especially when there are others like the protaginist.
Now, moving on. The ROM base you are using; I'm not a big fan of it. There is some clash of style, some may disagree but I think using DP style trees & grass tend to clash with the mountains you're using within the game. That's just aa personal prefferance but it turns me off wnating to play it. Another issue is your mapping. It's so so open and repetitve. You seem to struggle to fill up the space. Also, I notice in this map:
Spoiler:

There happens to be very little playablity. Notably, to the right hand side of the map where the green terrain, if I may call it that, hits the mountainous terrain. The trees litrally block the way to the mountains so your playability amounts to zero. There are a few other errors in your maps I could pick out but I'd rather you find out for yourself, it's better for you to develop your style.
My next protocall is your spites, which look rather un professional and not very well done.
This
1z5n4n8.jpg
Being my main concern. The colours are very dark and the entire sprite is unclear. Try think about what an actual pokemon would look like.
Your Gardevior sprite needs some touching up also, I would recommend checking to see if Kyledove has released some OW's for that pokemon in thier public resources as he happens to sprite very well.

If I were to point out some positives in this hack, it would be the fact that you've implemented some original ideas and it does look different to most others.
Best of luck on this. I hope I didn't seem too harsh but try to take it in a light where it will improve your hack!

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2011
hey!!!!!!!!!!!
what did u do to my beautiful transperancy effect? those black lines in the bottom? :S XD
that new map looks a lot better now. :D
what's that thing on some of those trees?

no worries. i fixed the size, this one should work without a hitch
hiddenties2.png

Last edited:

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
OW/trainer/Fakemon spriter here. I can help you with them. I'm already the current spriter for Pokemon Eruption, so I'm not joining a team or something. If you want to, I'll just make your requests come to life.

As for my proof of work, um, I'm busy to search myself right now, but you can search my posts to find out what I've done.
I think you already know my fakemon work from my hack (Pokemon BCL)...dunno if you like it.

As for the maps, they're fine, you seem like you're an average at about everything, so that's good.
That's one nifty storyline you got there, though. It spliced me for a minute, that idea of natural order.

Good luck job.

Years
This hack sounds good, but doesn't really look it.
The maps are *YUCK.*
You really need to improve your mapping, or get a mapper that's good.
So in the mean time you can improve on clean roms.
I think you may need to change the tiles, because the ones you're using are not very pretty.
Well, I hope you do good to improve this hack.
Gooood Luck!! :)

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Okay I'll just make a quick post here with my opinions on what I've seen. I skimmed through the storyline (forgive me XD) but i feel, from what I've seen, it's rather odd. Not saying it's bad, it's just rather different and very unorthodox. Now, you said the hero will be able to talk to pokemon, something evil is coming, so you are needed to meet others like you to save the region from destruction. You shuould expand. What is coming? Give a slight more insight on this. Also show WHY you are needed, not just saying your power can save the world. I know what you're trying to say, but expand on your point as it's some what vague as to why you are needed so badly, especially when there are others like the protaginist.
Now, moving on. The ROM base you are using; I'm not a big fan of it. There is some clash of style, some may disagree but I think using DP style trees & grass tend to clash with the mountains you're using within the game. That's just aa personal prefferance but it turns me off wnating to play it. Another issue is your mapping. It's so so open and repetitve. You seem to struggle to fill up the space. Also, I notice in this map:
Spoiler:

There happens to be very little playablity. Notably, to the right hand side of the map where the green terrain, if I may call it that, hits the mountainous terrain. The trees litrally block the way to the mountains so your playability amounts to zero. There are a few other errors in your maps I could pick out but I'd rather you find out for yourself, it's better for you to develop your style.
My next protocall is your spites, which look rather un professional and not very well done.
This
1z5n4n8.jpg
Being my main concern. The colours are very dark and the entire sprite is unclear. Try think about what an actual pokemon would look like.

Your Gardevior sprite needs some touching up also, I would recommend checking to see if Kyledove has released some OW's for that pokemon in thier public resources as he happens to sprite very well.

If I were to point out some positives in this hack, it would be the fact that you've implemented some original ideas and it does look different to most others.
Best of luck on this. I hope I didn't seem too harsh but try to take it in a light where it will improve your hack!

Thanks for your criticism, I really appreciate it. I'll try to address all teh points you raised:
-The fakemon sprite: Yeah, this is my brother's work, and our first time ever spriting, so cut some slack for now. I haven't installed it because I know it needs work.
-Gardevoir's sprite: I'll look up Kyledove, thanks for the suggestion!
-The map: You're a little confuse on this one. The trees do not completely block off the mountain because you can walk behind the two top tiles of the trees. I'm more concerned with the emptiness of the left hand side... but I'll have that fixed soon enough.
-The plotline: Okay, thanks for the input, I'll work on getting some more on that ready, I was just being paranoid about revealing my storyline before the beta, but what the heck.
-The ROM base: I'll try another one. I'd rather not start completely fresh because I've gone through all the work of installing thirty or so Pokemon (not the fakemon, you'll be happy to hear), but I've got some other rom bases I want to try.
-Hmm, not sure why you don't like my mapping, but I'll work harder anyway, might as well :)
Seriously, thanks for your comments, I appreciate them. Keep talking, I could use your experienced criticism. Actually, I'd appreciate it if you'd beta test later. I prefer to have mildly hostile testers. PM your answer please.

hey!!!!!!!!!!!
what did u do to my beautiful transperancy effect? those black lines in the bottom? :S XD
that new map looks a lot better now. :D
what's that thing on some of those trees?

no worries. i fixed the size, this one should work without a hitch
hiddenties2.png

Lol, sorry! I'll post the new banner.
Glad you like the new maps. If you mean the rope hanging from the tree, I put it there because I needed some sort of house mechanism away from civilization.

OW/trainer/Fakemon spriter here. I can help you with them. I'm already the current spriter for Pokemon Eruption, so I'm not joining a team or something. If you want to, I'll just make your requests come to life.

As for my proof of work, um, I'm busy to search myself right now, but you can search my posts to find out what I've done.
I think you already know my fakemon work from my hack (Pokemon BCL)...dunno if you like it.

As for the maps, they're fine, you seem like you're an average at about everything, so that's good.
That's one nifty storyline you got there, though. It spliced me for a minute, that idea of natural order.

Good luck job.

I've already seen your proof from your Cyndaquil sprites for eruption and your (fantastic) spriting work for your Bug Catcher game. I'd love for you to do a few sprites when you have time. If you could do new hero/heroine OWs, that'd be great (erm, I know this sounds noobish, but if possible please use palletes that are in the game already. I had a very traumatizing experience with pallete editing recently...).

This hack sounds good, but doesn't really look it.
The maps are *YUCK.*
You really need to improve your mapping, or get a mapper that's good.
So in the mean time you can improve on clean roms.
I think you may need to change the tiles, because the ones you're using are not very pretty.
Well, I hope you do good to improve this hack.
Gooood Luck!! :)

Okay, got it. The DP tiles die. Sorry mew_ryn.
Actually, if anyone has a rombase that they really like, feel free to recommend it.
Hmm, I hope you all don't mind if progress is slow for a time, it's going to take me awhile to implement this; I already had a lot of mapping done.
I find it interesting that so far everyone either loves my maps or absolutely hates them. Either way, I'll aim to improve!

Thanks everyone for your comments/criticisms, keep them coming!

UPDATE: I've chosen my rom base, the firered base by Synyster Zeikku, Alistair, Peyi, Kyledove, TB Pro, on this page: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=193327
I rather like it. You can check it out and tell me what you think. I'll be posting maps showing what I've done with it... eventually.

Last edited:

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Alright, here's the latest update:
I think I'm going to have to start over, and this time I probably won't be able to insert any new Pokemon. A major glitch has popped up that has about 3 different parts to it: 1. When I run into a Pokemon that I inserted, the whole game freezes for about 10 seconds before the battle starts. 2: When I use a Pokemon that I inserted, the moves are all different from what it was supposed to know. 3: When I try to use an attack in battle with an inserted Pokemon, the game crashes.
If anyone can help me fix this, great. If not, I'm afraid Gallade is no longer an issue.
Darn it all, I'm getting discouraged.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2011
omg! that's quite a problem.
the gardevoir OW isnt good.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Okay, getting back on track now.
Thanks a lot mervyn...
Lol, anyway, I've decided not to use a rom base, so you'll be seeing mostly tiles from the original FireRed game, with a few tweaks. I'll be posting maps eventually, until then you can gaze at the outdated ones and wonder with captivated rapture what the new ones will be like.
From now on, nobody's allowed to complain about the Gardevoir OW unless they can give me a source for a better one (and not the one from HGSS, already tried it and it didn't really work out).
Don't worry, I will be working on fixing Gardevoir. I admit that it's a bad OW. But I GET THE IDEA ALREADY!!!
Anyway, I'm in a much better mood now, and feeling motivated to get this do-... no... restarted...
and depression sets in once again...
Ah, whatever. Anyway, as always if you have ideas for the plots, the maps, anything at all, let me know.
And I need a world mapper. Badly. Preferably someone who can walk me through the steps of installing the map, because for some reason the tutorials haven't worked for me.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Whoa, Mervyn changed his avatar. That completely threw me off for a second there.
Anyway, back to relevant things. I have finished re-scripting the opening events, and I am absolutely hyped now, because they're all actually working better than they were in the original version! I've finished remapping all but one of the maps I had done, and one of these days I promise to actually post them (uploading pics is just so boring...). Anyway, look for some serious progress soon, because I'll be getting a lot done in the next few days, with any luck.
Speaking of luck, your prayers are welcome right now, my ACT is on Saturday :\.
By the way, I really need an intro screen editor, or else a link to a good tutorial (I was searching earlier, but couldn't find one...). I need to swap the Prof. Oak sprite for Gardevoir, change all the text, get rid of the stupid PokeBall animation, get rid of the part where you name your rival, and probably change the hero/heroine sprites later on.
Anyway, it's past my bedtime. I'll get some more work done tomorrow in between college applications (prayers in that area would be appreciated too, by the way).

Dry

Team Rocket Elite No. 16
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2011
Dude love it great idea its awsome despite what people say.
They see problems i see what will deffinatly become a great hack so supporting this hack .

glad to know youve done ur hw. Most people wouldntknow how much goes into a decent hack and lol i ment to look at this like the other day but forgot cause i found some other hack but i so should have looked at this btw the other hack was a dead end lol... good luck

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
Uh oh, crisis! Somehow my map connections are messing up the game, is there anyone out there who'd be willing to help me with this? Scripts are working great, and I'm getting really close to an alpha release, but when I try to move from one map to another, the game freezes. If there's anyone who's seen this sort of thing before, or who thinks they can figure it out (and has reason to think so), I need you.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2011
map connections?
just edit or say delete the unwanted ones.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
...I don't think I explained the problem correctly...
There's a map connection I want to have, and it's spontaneously combusting. I've already removed the map connections I don't want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back