• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Sandstone Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
Could you expand a little on what is good and what is bad.
I know that the world map isn't perfect.
I am going to remove it in the next update (which will be soon).

I know that there are not any custom graphics or script but I hope the story is good.

I am making a new master tileset and other graphic work.
Some new scripts are still in the works.

I am a firm believer in games having some playable game before they become all fancy.
What I mean by this is that if you look at blue chrome and amethyst, they both look amazing but have very little playable game currently created.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 27, 2021
Could you expand a little on what is good and what is bad.
I know that the world map isn't perfect.
I am going to remove it in the next update (which will be soon).

I know that there are not any custom graphics or script but I hope the story is good.

I am making a new master tileset and other graphic work.
Some new scripts are still in the works.

I am a firm believer in games having some playable game before they become all fancy.
What I mean by this is that if you look at blue chrome and amethyst, they both look amazing but have very little playable game currently created.
Why not try and do both at the same time?

Ravecat

I'm Right.
Years
Not attacking anyone here, but it is usually gaming standard that you develop the engine and such first. It generally makes things a lot easier to dev, as you aren't spending time worrying about the graphics as much as getting the core of the game down.

Though, certainly, if you are capable of doing both and keeping up a good pace, go for it.

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
I cant download it u should use media fire instead

I said a few posts ago that I would be adding the game (0.3) as a download from mediafire.

Why not try and do both at the same time?

I am.
I am starting to do some scripting and graphical work and working on the game.
I have just came to the point where I have to start working on both to keep the game fresh.
This makes the game making process less boring and repetitive.

Not attacking anyone here, but it is usually gaming standard that you develop the engine and such first. It generally makes things a lot easier to dev, as you aren't spending time worrying about the graphics as much as getting the core of the game down.

Though, certainly, if you are capable of doing both and keeping up a good pace, go for it.

You are right about the standard.
But it is different for a fangame which a new and improved version of the original games are coming out every year.
The stuff you do at the beginning of your project will get old by the end.
That way of doing things would be kind of boring for me but it might be a good idea for others.

-----------------------------------------

Just saying that people like these that comment on my game really make my day.

The update is only two hours of work away.

I am probably done work for tonight and I will be really busy tomorrow.
I might be able to get a few hours of work done on Wednesday though.

The update will be so big that I won't put it in a post.
I will just put it in the first post and notify you that there has been an update.

And, just to keep you interested, darthvagabond100 (Founder of Pokemon Nebula) has something to do with the update. *HINT*HINT*

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
When are you going to upload the game to mediafire? You said you would over a week ago and i still see nothing.

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
I said I would in the next update.
Due to being impatient with myself, I will do the update now just without some of the stuff I expected. (Evented forest) Everything else is there.

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
Seeing as the blackout isn't getting much enthusiasm, I won't do any more blackouts.

The next update will hopefully include:

a new route and finished dark forest.
2 new fakemon and a the real sprite for the blackout.

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
All help is greatly appreciated, I will be sending you a pm shortly.

I ahve updated the members list.

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
This game was poorly made, in my opinion. I was keeping notes through out the demo, and here's my thoughts.

- Dialog sucked. There was no personality in it.
- Minimal effort put into the game. Haven't even made an effort to change the titlescreen, or the entire introduction.
- Maps are boring. Nothing interesting.
- Water tile isn't properly animated.
- First scene in Oak's lab is strange. Oak just automatically assumes that you want a Pokémon.
- I could heal my non-existent Pokémon before getting one.
- I was able to go around the wild grass before receiving a Pokémon.

Yeah, I just stopped right there. I'm going to assume the rest of the game is like this; in the fact that you say 'go do this' and don't put restrictions for trying to skip it.

From what you say, a bit of it is still a work in progress, so it seems normal enough to me (I'm going to try the demo after this), though it does strike me as odd in the sense that the demo would be released at such an early stage...

EDIT:

I'll jot down some problems I see as well so Ty101, can fix them.
- Raining and Snowing in my house? *And many other buildings.
-Your, I think mother, should talk to youir face, not the side of it.
-There's a sand like pathway put near the shore, and it looks like its make to connect to grass, not the sandy shoreline.
-I agree about the dialogue
-Runtime error talking to someone in the house to the left, above the lab.
-Amethyst Island, including its houses (inside), seems quite empty
-The right foot forward frame of the upwards walk animation of the male hero seems off.
-The dialogue also has a bit of spelling and grammatical errors, like "Meat me at my house"
-There's a masterball symbol for the pokeball you get to catch a pokemon
-I got stuck trying to catch my first Pokemon because even thought the Squirtle's HP was almost gone, it didn't catch it. So I was out of Pokeballs...

All in all its definitely a work in progress. I would suggest making all accessible parts of the game up to a finished standard before releasing a demo.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
This game was poorly made, in my opinion. I was keeping notes through out the demo, and here's my thoughts.

- Dialog sucked. There was no personality in it.
- Minimal effort put into the game. Haven't even made an effort to change the titlescreen, or the entire introduction.
- Maps are boring. Nothing interesting.
- Water tile isn't properly animated.
- First scene in Oak's lab is strange. Oak just automatically assumes that you want a Pokémon.
- I could heal my non-existent Pokémon before getting one.
- I was able to go around the wild grass before receiving a Pokémon.

Yeah, I just stopped right there. I'm going to assume the rest of the game is like this; in the fact that you say 'go do this' and don't put restrictions for trying to skip it.

1. The character development part of the process is still going on. I have yet to develop many character traits.
2. I will mention this at the end of the post.
3. Could you please place some suggestions for the maps. If you did not play bvery far then you didn't make it to any good maps.
4. Has been fixed.
5. The text there was always kind of bad. I am rethinking it.
6. I have fixed this.
7. I have fixed this.

Would you try to add a little more detail and a little less criticism in your next post. If you come back.

From what you say, a bit of it is still a work in progress, so it seems normal enough to me (I'm going to try the demo after this), though it does strike me as odd in the sense that the demo would be released at such an early stage...

EDIT:

I'll jot down some problems I see as well so Ty101, can fix them.
- Raining and Snowing in my house? *And many other buildings.
-Your, I think mother, should talk to youir face, not the side of it.
-There's a sand like pathway put near the shore, and it looks like its make to connect to grass, not the sandy shoreline.
-I agree about the dialogue
-Runtime error talking to someone in the house to the left, above the lab.
-Amethyst Island, including its houses (inside), seems quite empty
-The right foot forward frame of the upwards walk animation of the male hero seems off.
-The dialogue also has a bit of spelling and grammatical errors, like "Meat me at my house"
-There's a masterball symbol for the pokeball you get to catch a pokemon
-I got stuck trying to catch my first Pokemon because even thought the Squirtle's HP was almost gone, it didn't catch it. So I was out of Pokeballs...

All in all its definitely a work in progress. I would suggest making all accessible parts of the game up to a finished standard before releasing a demo.

1. Fixed
2. Fixed
3. Will be fixed, I don't have any tiles that would look good there.
4. So do I.
5. I'll look into it.
6. I will add some new tiles once the new tileset is done.
7. I'll get another sprite.
8. I'm not good at spelling but I can't believe I missed that.
9. Default, I'll get the sprite now.
10. There is a way to get more pokeballs, just go talk to the man again and he will give you another one. This is turned off after you get your first pokemon.

And the three main points that I have made multiple times that need to be posted every single time.

1. The purpose of this demo was to include length, not quality.
2. I have no artistic talent at all and I have tried multiple times to make a new title screen and every time it is awful.
3. The game is not tested due to the lack of help and of time when it was released.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm back and progress has resumed.
Not much progress on the length aspect has been made since the demo (about 5 minutes) Now I have started to add the next section of game.

Even though these comments are kind of harsh I still like to see any posts what so ever and once again, PLEASE FOCUS ON THE STORY!

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
Are you really that prepubescent that you can't take criticism? If so, why did you even post your game on PC? Criticism is meant to help improve things, not hinder it.

I got the impression he was referring how rudely you gave some of the criticism

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
I'm not referring to criticism in a way to put off help.
I'm just saying that whether you ment it or not it sounded very harsh with comments like "This game is very poorly made."

darthvagabond100

Pokemon ~NEBULA~ Creator
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2010
the game isnt done yet..so lets support and help till it does. I agree it was probably to early in development to release a demo, but at least we can tell ty what needs improvement.
like the rain in building.....etc

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
thx...................................................

Posting like that on every thread is basicly spam.

Ty, with the quality being low and the quantity being quite high it can
attract and drive away people. Though this is a work in progress, try
to focus mainly on the how the gameplay is like.

p.s. got my data back so I can start mapping again for you.

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
Got some free time again.
My busy week is over.

I mainly released this demo as a way of showing that there is progress, how far the game has come (In the future), and for bug reports.

I was looking for beta testers a long time ago and nobody steeped up.
My way of getting bugs reported was releasing the demo and people will report the bugs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

There will be an update that I HOPE will be in the next week.
It will not focus on progress ,but on visuals and other graphics.

I havn't made much forward game progress because I've been working on features (as well as the hunt system for nebula) so I will be showing off that way of progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back