• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon Violet Demo One Release

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
Years
And so the brand new Demo is being released!
The game is a big change from the original just another in their cannon series of Pokemon games, but I'm sure some of you will still enjoy it.

This is a Pokemon Red hack.

Although in the readme I have asked not to report bugs, If you somehow find a serious game affecting bug please report it.

PLEASE READ THE README ON HOW TO PATCH.

Pokemon Violet Demo One
By Cartmic.

bar1.png

Crion was a relatively uninhabited land until survivors of the French speaking Vieuxcrion
quake moved onto it in the early 1860's.
Christian Missionary's from the Islands of Croy also moved over and helped the Vieuxcrions
build new towns and villages.

bar2.png

1974 Councillor Delia Ingrid became Minister for the land of Crion, in her 35 years of power she
systematically removed all known sources of written history before the 1970's, jailing anyone who
got in her way. 2009, Arthur Ernshaw is brought over to Crion from Naljo to help David Yew a
Pokemon Researcher and leader of a resistance group with an aim of bringing Crion out of Ingrids
oppression.

bar3.png

demoviolet1-1.png

demoviolet10.png

Rumour has it that this bridge will be fixed soon :)

demoviolet2-1.png

Poor guy, he was in an abseiling accident.

demoviolet3-1.png

demoviolet4-1.png

demoviolet5-1.png

demoviolet6.png

New Marts!

demoviolet7.png

demoviolet8.png

demoviolet9.png

bar7.png

* 3 Towns
* 1 Routes/1 Route Quarry
* 1 Forest
* 1 Town Hall

bar4.png

Please do not report any bugs, apart form spelling mistakes or grammatical errors. as this is a stable Demo release and not Beta material.

I now realise that I've spelled 'systematically' wrong, this will be fixed in the next release.

bar7-1.png

Professor Oak's image is still in the intro screen, I am working on changing this to the
correct image of David Yew.

Yew's wheelchair appears to malfunction when he takes you to his lab, this is because I need
to rewrite the script from the orignal Oak script. (also I shall redraw him a little)
The two people that attempt to give you Coffee will not give you Coffee, rather, they will give
you their original Pokemon Red items. Again this problem is a script issue and I hope to have it
fixed by the next Demo.

bar6.png

BG, ER, Colloseum Translations, and Dtyler, For inspiring me to hack in the first place.

Dtyler, ER, and Koolboyman for showing what you can really do with a hack.

Blazichu, Christos, eMer, Hat/Black_Pantom, Mateo and others for encouragement over the years.

Phillip Ruben for writting Pokemap, BreakPoint software for Hexworkshop, Kent Hansen and Mr. Click for their tile editors.

HyperHacker who figured out the format of the Pokemon 'Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow' Town Map.

Swampert22 for coding a Gym leader editor, which helped speed up development.

Koolboyman again for finding a whole host of locations.

Any questions? Post them to me via pm at the Skeetendo forums: http://skeetendo.proboards.com

Ideas, maps, and story Copyright (c) Cartmic 2009. Naljo (c) Koolboyman Games 2009, Everything else Copyright Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 26, 2022
First post~

This is looking good. All I can really say. I'm going to play the demo.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
So you finally released a demo :)
Nice job I'm going to play it for sure

EDIT:
I'm going to give you some critic already :P
The mountains in the beginning look weird since you try to put too many different blocks next to each other.
If there isn't enough space for putting them nicely use only the border- and the mountain-top blocks.

Last edited:

Cartmic

Years
So you finally released a demo :)
Nice job I'm going to play it for sure

EDIT:
I'm going to give you some critic already :P
The mountains in the beginning look weird since you try to put too many different blocks next to each other.
If there isn't enough space for putting them nicely use only the border- and the mountain-top blocks.

Thanks for your feedback, yeah those tiles crossed my mind, if they are the ones I think they are it would look better in say Ruby, where the map engine enables you to set different tiles at different layers.
I'll sort something out.

EDIT: I'm going to spruce up the thread in a bit.

Last edited:

Zeikku™

Johto remaker
Years
This should get more response, all the work looks top notch, only crit I have is I hate the font :P the official one in R/B/Y looks better. But that's my opinion! it's your hack :)
Keep up the amazing work!

Rabbit

where is my mind?
Years
Ahhhhh. Your hack's plot is like a history geek's fantasy. IE, my fantasy. Finally, a plot that makes perfect sense. (It's also a bit like the storyline in my nonexistent hack - some guy vs. opressive dictator. Yaaay dictators.)

I'll download the demo and play it, but I'm a little disappointed that you're hacking Red. Why hack the oldest base in existence? R/S/E and FR/LG are so much easier on the eyes.

miksy91

Years
I'll download the demo and play it, but I'm a little disappointed that you're hacking Red. Why hack the oldest base in existence? R/S/E and FR/LG are so much easier on the eyes.
Some people prefer the old generations to newer ones :P

Rabbit

where is my mind?
Years
Some people prefer the old generations to newer ones :P

Why, though? Does the nostalgia element really outweigh the monochromatic palette and sucky graphics? If you want to preserve the old skool feel of the game, you could at least go for a 2nd gen base and inject some colour into your hack.

miksy91

Years
Why, though? Does the nostalgia element really outweigh the monochromatic palette and sucky graphics? If you want to preserve the old skool feel of the game, you could at least go for a 2nd gen base and inject some colour into your hack.
As I can see from your attitude you're one of the young people here :D
For example I grew up playing pokemon blue and yellow myself so I just like the "bad graphics" feel.

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
Years
Red hacks are my favorites, I loave when people judge by the base though.
Well, everything looks great so far, though I don't like the font, only thing wrong so far.

Cartmic

Years
Ahhhhh. Your hack's plot is like a history geek's fantasy. IE, my fantasy. Finally, a plot that makes perfect sense. (It's also a bit like the storyline in my nonexistent hack - some guy vs. opressive dictator. Yaaay dictators.)

I had no idea that there was a similar story, but thats expected, there are countless stories being made up both in here and the scrap box, though the problem is that the majority never come to fruition/completion, this however has been an on going project that I started when I was 16.

I'm not a fan of ellipsis, but now is a good time to use them...

Pokemon Red is my favourite game to hack and always will be, though strangely enough Ruby is my favorite game to play, but thats it I would never want to hack it.

A note to all other 10-16 year olds and all other newbies that only care about the overused RSE FrLg, get out of this thread and leave your de-motivating comments to yourself. I've kept this up as I've promised for years to people that it will get released eventually, and thats whats going to happen, I'm not giving up on it. I've worked really hard on it so far. I'd love to see you people struggle with a hex editor for the majority of your ROM hack and use little bit of trial and error, to produce something similar.

On a lighter note, I'm going to fix a few things(font included) then release Version 1.2 asap.

EDIT: Version 1.2 Now available, with some fixed text, tiles, and a rather embarrassing last minute change that messed up a Town Map tile has now been fixed.

EDIT: I'm starting work back on this in the New Year, The next release will include a trip to the Island south of Crion. I am also putting up a poll on whether I should somehow adapt my story back into a standard generic Pokemon Game story, with a little less government stuff included.
It seeems I'm a little late for adding a Poll the the post, so I'm going to do in this way,
If you want a story implemented that joins it up with the rest of the Pokemon Games PM me a with the Subject: Cannon, then in the message: Yes, otherwise Subject: Government, message: No.

Regards,
Cartmic

Last edited:

ShadowForce_G

Endless learning...
Years
Wow, another retro hack...
I'll download the demo.

I like the retro hacks, because I wanna play it on my phone (use meboy. my phone is java)...
And when I play on VBA, the speed is VERY FAST. So, I can train my Pokémon fast.

Last edited:

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
Years
I love it when people hack the old games, mainly because theyre just so classic.
A hack isn't about making the best, it's about hacking it how you want to, and thats what your doing ;)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 26, 2022
This is seriously the most underrated hack around Progressing Hacks right now. Only 12 replies at this point? Seriously?

Anyways, I forgot to post back after playing the demo. I enjoyed it. The inclusion of GSC tiles is nice, and some of the ideas and places are nice and original. I dig the mapping style, too. I'd actually love to remake this once it progresses enough...

When I talked to the guy near the center in the second town, though, to get the TM, the evolution music started playing. xD. I just went into the center because the map had different music, so it went back to normal, but still. Soz. Yes, it's a bug report, but I couldn't resist. :3

Cartmic

Years
This is seriously the most underrated hack around Progressing Hacks right now. Only 12 replies at this point? Seriously?

Most of the ROM hackers here are aged 11-15 so it's no surprise.
It's a real shame that people can't look past face value, this version of the hack has had months of hard work put into it, hours have been spent within Hex Editors editing connection data, town map, text, and repointing etc.

Anyways, I forgot to post back after playing the demo. I enjoyed it. The inclusion of GSC tiles is nice, and some of the ideas and places are nice and original. I dig the mapping style, too. I'd actually love to remake this once it progresses enough...

:D

When I talked to the guy near the center in the second town, though, to get the TM, the evolution music started playing. xD. I just went into the center because the map had different music, so it went back to normal, but still. Soz. Yes, it's a bug report, but I couldn't resist. :3

Thanks for the feedback. No worries about the bug report, I'll have to look into it.

Melash

Back for now.
Years
This is a great hack. I've played through this Demo and it's very nice. Most other Red or Blue hacks just seem to be simple map and text edits, but Cartmic has changed the connection data to make it much better.

Great work on this hack!

Cartmic

Years
bar5.png

That should say aren't. Just sayin'

Yeah spotted it just after uploading it, thanks anyway. Was guna fix it later as I had some stuff to do, but thats done...so give me a sec.

EDIT: Now the thread has ten screenshots, I believe I've qualified for the Hacks Showcase, I'll ask Christos if I can get it moved.

Last edited:

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
Years
Glad to see this in the showcase, Whenever I try to find this it gets buried in a mess. >.< I do love the GSC tiles in this, and your style of mapping is quite well done (As I expected) I hate to see Red hacks so under appreciated.

Oh yeah, god that text is so much better, thank goodness ya changed it, much better! And those trees on the world map are a nice touch.

Back