• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fatal Crash Issue

Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2010
Pokemon Shiny Gold is one of the most famous ROM hacks on the web. gpSPhone is one of the most famous portable GBA emulators on the web. However, the these two celebrities don't mix well. I have made this thread to address a problem that effects hundreds if not thousands of people.

When Zel made Pokemon Shiny Gold Beta 5 he put something into the ROM script/programming (I don't really know the correct term) to make it only compatible with VisualBoyAdvanced. This programming "error" causes the game to crash if the "Start" menu botton is pressed. As you can immagine, this greatly hinders gameplay. This "error" is only present in Beta 5. I am positive that it is this "sabotage" that causes emulators like gpSPhone and NO$GBA to crash when running Pokemon Shiny Gold Beta 5.

Basically, I am asking any ROM hacker to look at the Pokemon Shiny Gold Beta 5 ROM, figure out what is causing the crash, and fix it. Thank you.

Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2010
I am very sure that this error was intentionally put there by Zel. He even said that Beta 5, unlike Beta 4, would only be compatible with VBA. And I know that I patched it correctly.

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Yeah, it was for GBA. It was called a Supercard SD, and I still have it. I think that the crash may be related to an event Zel put in Kanto where the Bag option (and the Pokémon option too, but that can be done with flags) is disabled, which he did though ASM.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
gpSPhone isn't the greatest emulator at all, I've heard. And anyway, hacks are best played on VBA. Or on GBA flashcarts, which they definitely work on, even ShinyGold (and the Trade Centre works as well, but I've never used it)!

Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2010
I know that gpSPhone has some problems, but it has been able to run all of the hacks I've tried on it, except SG. It's also the only emulator for the iPhone. What really needs to be done is an experienced hacker goes into the games coding and finds whatever is causing this malfunction.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
I know that gpSPhone has some problems, but it has been able to run all of the hacks I've tried on it, except SG. It's also the only emulator for the iPhone. What really needs to be done is an experienced hacker goes into the games coding and finds whatever is causing this malfunction.

The malfunction could be an important script. And as gpSPhone is the only thing it does not work on, there is litte point to do that, as most people play it on a VBA. Tough luck, but unless a REALLY skilled hacker had gpSPhone and used it for everything found the problem and fixed it without any huge problems, then I doubt anyone would look into it.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Does anybody else think that this could be the problem?

It could be anything, but it does seem like it may be that, due to it not being in Beta 4. But, removing that... In order to fix the problem then, we need Zel's permission to change the game (as it would be a violation) and also removes a part I think is quite good.

Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2010

The malfunction could be an important script. And as gpSPhone is the only thing it does not work on, there is litte point to do that, as most people play it on a VBA. Tough luck, but unless a REALLY skilled hacker had gpSPhone and used it for everything found the problem and fixed it without any huge problems, then I doubt anyone would look into it.
Shiny Gold B5 doesn't work on a number of emulators that I've tried, including NO$GBA which is commonly used as both a GBA and DS emulator. You may be right that taking out the problem may not be possible, but I think its at least worth a look. As for changing the game I don't really care about permision. It seems illogical to care about upsetting someone who doesn't care enough to finish their own game (and please nobody say that Zel is just busy).

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Shiny Gold B5 doesn't work on a number of emulators that I've tried, including NO$GBA which is commonly used as both a GBA and DS emulator. You may be right that taking out the problem may not be possible, but I think its at least worth a look. As for changing the game I don't really care about permision. It seems illogical to care about upsetting someone who doesn't care enough to finish their own game (and please nobody say that Zel is just busy).

It also seems illogical to hack a game just so you can play it on an emulator that it wasn't really aimed for. It IS actually morally wrong to edit a game without permission, especially if it is a certain event issue, as that DOES change the game if it needs to be removed, and who knows what bugs could be created from that. To remove 1 bug issue may cause bugs for the rest (Flag issues, for example, and so on and so forth), so... If you wan it fixed, try it yourself. Good luck.

Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2013
This is not limited to only iphones/ipods i have the same issue on gameboid for android, sorry if i am bumping a old thread, but i found no answer.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Well it could be ASM partly because asm or assembly uses the computers knowledge/language and interprets it to the RAM, so maybe a real computer and flashcard are the only things to be able to use this type of ASM. Other ASM works normal on emulators, but this is a special ASM here.

Years
  • Seen May 14, 2013
So I encountered this "bug" today on my android device while using the "gameboid" emulator (i believe it has been removed from the app store- not sure why, but it was honestly the best emulator w/ up to 10 save slots, flawless fast-forwarding/frameskips, cheat support, minimal bugs, and great, friendly user-interface). As it was stated earlier, it happened when i pressed the start button (ONLY when the start button was to activate the menu. When i pressed it on the start screen the first time I started the game, it did not crash, for the start button was used to enter the game), and it did not crash on VBA. I'm trying to help fix this, because I've only played the early versions of this rom-hack (before most of kanto was even avail. and there were some bugs), and when i wanted to play the newest version on my device (I play mostly out of my house- im just 13), it kinda acted like a jerk and crashed on me when i wanted to change my text speed (nasty suprise, right?). Anyway, If there are further questions, just ask me in whatever available way. To give more information, my phone's firmware is 4.1.2 (jellybean), I'm using the most current gameboid avail., i was using version beta 5, and there were no cheats in place.

Back