• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
But you could be the most awesome reviewer in the world, but you could have written the worst fanfic. :P XD

Which in itself, would be kind of funny, but I see what you mean, and it makes sense.

On a side note, would something like "best improvement award" seem plausible. For those newer people who might have started off rocky but now are doing pretty good?

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
On a side note, would something like "best improvement award" seem plausible. For those newer people who might have started off rocky but now are doing pretty good?
That reward would actually be kind of relative. Unless the nominee would want to dig up his own old fanfic and compare it with his current one.

Then again, it's up to the voters to decide. :P

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Maybe we should make a new thread to discuss what sort of awards we want to consider as categories... hmm. It's a bit odd thinking about bring in awards to a forum which hasn't had them before (or if ther were about before, not for a good time XD).

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Maybe we should make a new thread to discuss what sort of awards we want to consider as categories... hmm. It's a bit odd thinking about bring in awards to a forum which hasn't had them before (or if ther were about before, not for a good time XD).
Kind of like an FFOTY Committee?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
When describing your character's initial appearance, did you include their clothes in the description? If so how did you choose the color?
Yes, I did, and I constantly refer to those clothes, much to the amusement of some and the annoyance of others. However, my character is quite picky about the clothes she wears, so it makes sense in that context.

And I like blue, green and purple. And frilly, flowery things, so that's how Lisa's outfit(s) came to be.

As for any awards, I'm in the boat that I don't read enough to make an informed nomination (I read like TWO fics here, and one is quite slow to update *glares at bobandbill*), and I seriously doubt that will change anytime in the foreseeable future (unless someone writes a really great trainer fic starring an all female cast, then I might be inclined to expand my horizons XD).

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
So, this FFotY would kinda be like the Grammies?

We have several categories, and then each fic has to be nominated, then it goes to the comity where its voted upon and then the winners are announced?

Whats the prize?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™ said:
(unless someone writes a really great trainer fic starring an all female cast, then I might be inclined to expand my horizons XD).

My main character is female, but she's a Pokemon so I don't know if that counts.

Speaking of my fictional. I didn't meet my goal, but I did at least finsihed the first scene, and I like it. Which is weired, because usually I'm like "that's not good enough," but I actually like this scene, so that's good enough for me. Then I stared on the second scene, and hit the clothes describing question. Then got distracted by the internet. *headdesk* (but its okay, I'm learning Japanese)

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
So, this FFotY would kinda be like the Grammies?
The Grammaries :P *shot*

We have several categories, and then each fic has to be nominated, then it goes to the comity where its voted upon and then the winners are announced?

Whats the prize?
That's how I envisioned it to be when I first broached the subject a few weeks ago... Except the commitee takes care of the validity of nominators and voters and tallies the votes at the end of the day.

Also, the prize is an ego-boost unless Astinus decides to give out emblems. :P

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Oh, so we're back on the fanfic award thing? /shot for not following the thread in her writing frenzy The voting process sounds good to me. I really have no suggestions to input right now. However...

Who remembers that 'Suicune project' I mentioned a few days ago? It was a new one-shot, Beasts Like Us. Read plz? =D

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Because I'm bored that no posting occurs while I'm active...

What are your thoughts on Sound Effects being worded out in fics?

Examples like:
"AARGH!" he screamed.
BOOM! A loud noise was heard.
ZAP! The lightning hit the tree.

I'm currently debating this with myself...

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years

I know right, I got to bed get up and there is like 20 replies. T_T

Curse my morning job.

Examples like:
"AARGH!" he screamed.
BOOM! A loud noise was heard.
ZAP! The lightning hit the tree.

I'm currently debating this with myself...

To a small degree, I don't mind them. The first one is a yes, the second one is meh, and the last is a probably not.

I'm not real firm on my answer on this, I may be swayed by other's posts.

Phantom Kat

A Daydreamer Longing To Write
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 12, 2010

I like to occasionally use sound effects like Bang!, but I only use them for that abrupt feeling I want to give off, like the firing of a bullet. If I just describe the sound, I feel that that feeling isn't there. For some reason, I don't like writing out the screams of a character. I just say that the character screamed without putting the actual scream in dialogue.

- Kat

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Sorry. I didn't get much sleep and don't want to make "serious modly decisions" when I can't read.

I used them once in all the fics I wrote. I used "Plop" for the sound of raindrops falling, but I think that was done to show the character's increasing ability to hear.

Other than that, I've never used them because it never seemed necessary. I prefer "There was a loud explosion" compared to BOOM!!! randomly interjected in the narration.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
Eh, I don't really have an opinion, but I think they're a bit unneeded. There's nothing wrong with just saying, for example, someone screamed or a loud explosion was heard. It's the same idea, though, Sound Effects can make a scene more sudden and draw the reader's attention to the event (i.e. an explosion) like it would in real life.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013

My usage of them is similar to Dagzar's; unless they're used like "Marill leaped in the water with an obnoxious splash" or something, they'll only be used in situations where I need to draw attention to them, like the whole 'Thump thump scream repeat' thing early on in Delta Species.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023

I haven't had to use them that often (has anyone called it onomatopoeia here yet? XD). Needless to say, I've usually just described the sound. I find that both can be just as effective.

Bay

Years
Guys, quick question: What's the verdict for the review exchange thing here? I read the posts I missed here, but kinda confuse because it seems also you guys are talking about the awards at the same time. XD; So I assume this is a monthly thing and then later a separate thread to organize this review exchange thing? That is what bobandbill told me. D: This is what I get for being gone for three days due to school stuff. >.>

When describing your character's initial appearance, did you include their clothes in the description? If so how did you choose the color?
Well, for NE I had to because it's a mystery fic and usually in police investigations clothes are an important factor to finding the murderers and such. For my other stories I don't unless it gets ripped or someone is wearing something that is out of place with society because most of the time it's common sense that the characters are wearing them.

I haven't had to use them that often (has anyone called it onomatopoeia here yet? XD). Needless to say, I've usually just described the sound. I find that both can be just as effective.
Haha, me too. XD

Anyways, I usually don't use the sound effects unless I really want it to be noticeable and to show suspense, so NE has a lot of onomatopoeia. Not sure about you guys, but sometimes when I'm reading a suspense scene the part "the plant exploded" passed by for me while something like "BAM!" makes me go, oh my gah! XD; However, there are times where too much onomatopoeia gets tacky, so a mix of that and just description should suffice.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years

Yeah Feign, I was gonna call them onomatopoeia also, but I wasn't here. XD

I'm with Asty here. I'd prefer, for example, to say:

"The gun went off with a loud bang."

than

"BANG! The gun went off loudly."

Bad example, I know. I just like to make everything flow somewhat.

Also, English teacher sprung one on us today. Had to write a 250-400-word piece in one period today. No problem if I had my computer, but . . . I mean, I still made it with time to spare, but none of us had done any planning, like she said she was going to let us do, so we all kinda fumbled our way through it. :[

bobandbill

one more time
Years

I think they're decent things to use if not overdone or irrelevantly/when they don't fit. I've used some of them at times with my fic, but not too often. The examples listed as worse with the onomatopoeia (like MW's) I agree are worse with it than without...

As for any awards, I'm in the boat that I don't read enough to make an informed nomination (I read like TWO fics here, and one is quite slow to update *glares at bobandbill*), and I seriously doubt that will change anytime in the foreseeable future (unless someone writes a really great trainer fic starring an all female cast, then I might be inclined to expand my horizons XD).
At least I'm consistently slow? ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back