• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon Heart Gold/Soul Silver] Emulation Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2016
HANX to all....i used that rudoplh´s patch and when my game crashes before,it works now...so I will see how it´s going ....and thanx to users who sent me PM´s too...:)

Years
I just beat Whitney's gym and I'm not having any major problems right now except for the sprite glitching, but I'm assuming if it does crash later on I can just use the patch to fix it?

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2016
So I should shut up...:D

Because it crashes later,(National Park entrance,and my last save is in Goldenrod gym after battle with Whitney)...I patched the rom via dragging...can somebody help?

chillxd

メインモシ
Years
Darn it, I just beat Blue and when I exit the gym, Oak calls me.

Then it freezes. ._.

Halp? D:

Years
hey, I gave my brother my files so he could play HG as well, but his game keeps crashing for some reason
I save and quit the emulator about every 30 min and it's fine for me, but his crashes every 10 min
does anyone have a solution to this? I dont even know why this is happening since we have the exact same files

also, is the pokelthon lagging for anyone? it's so laggy on mine that it's not playable, and I need to win a shiny stone to evolve my togetic =P

Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2019
Using No$gba, and patched the Poke HeartGold Xenophobia version, added the cheat and opened up the .bak file but it still crashes in the same place which is in sprout tower. Should I not be using this .sav file?
PS - Also I am using the...well I guess you could say "pre patched/edited" version of the no$ zoomer as someone recommended it on the site which has the changes such as GBA Bios Nintendo Logo as the reset/startup entrypoint. Also the cheat - does it NEED to be RAW ticked?

Any suggestions on:
* If theres any settings I should change
* Is the Xenophobia version good, if not I have another one called "Panzervitch" dunno if thats better
* Should I create a fresh folder/sav with the emulator and rom patched?

Thanks sorry bout all the questions!

Forbidden1

csgo
Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2020
im pretty sure someone asked this, but my nosgba says "the rom image has crashed" every minute..
and also, this happens at random times; when im battling a trainer, nosgba freezes when i see my pokeballs. it just keeps spinning and spinning.. sorry if i have horrid grammar or doesnt make sense to you :/

chillxd

メインモシ
Years
^

The spinning pokeball glitch really is present, even when you play on a DS. I saw videos of it on youtube...

Forbidden1

csgo
Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2020
ah so its unavoidable. is there anyway for me to fix my ecruteak crash? every near route next to ecruteak that i save in, crashes after 1~3 saves. its not fun.

Taichi

The Keyblader of The Future
Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2012
ah so its unavoidable. is there anyway for me to fix my ecruteak crash? every near route next to ecruteak that i save in, crashes after 1~3 saves. its not fun.

Play on Desmume. Usually when you get around 3-5 badges, the game will have a lot of time crashing. Sometimes when you get the 4th badge, you can't do anything past the Continue screen. The only help I can give is that you play on Desmume. It's slow, but very unlikely to crash like No$GBA.

Forbidden1

csgo
Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2020
nuu not desume... lol ty anyway, maybe itll help. do you happen to know what causes the spinning pokeball glitch?
i tried to transfer my save file to desumume, i dont think it recognizes it. and unlike nosgba i dont know what to do about the graphic glitches in desumume.

Last edited:

Taichi

Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2012
nuu not desume... lol ty anyway, maybe itll help. do you happen to know what causes the spinning pokeball glitch?
i tried to transfer my save file to desumume, i dont think it recognizes it. and unlike nosgba i dont know what to do about the graphic glitches in desumume.

Open Desmumer, go to File then Import Backup Memory and Find your Save file.

Taichi

Years
  • Seen Sep 14, 2012
nope :/ man, is desumume is weird or what.. ty for trying to help me anyway

Well believe or not, that worked for me. Oh well, sorry to hear.

Edit: WAIT! IT was Load Sate From, not Import Backup Memory, sorry. But you have to play the game first. There are no graphic errors other than the title screen.

Rocket Executive Josh

Rocket Executive
Years
Recently I have been encountering problems and manually solving them. I came into this thread to look around and noticed many people with similar problems to mine. Because of this, I have decided to type up a summary of the emulation problems I have come accross and how to solve them. That's why I have only just joined the forums. Anyway, here you go.

Intro
Over the previous six months or so, many ROMs of new Pokemon games, Soul Silver and Heart Gold versions (remakes of 2nd generation GameBoy Colour game, Gold and Silver), have been released. Starting out in Japanese, being patched into English, and recently having completely English ROMs is excelent. However, there are bound to be problems with these kind of things.
Because many people are having problems with emulating these games, I have made this summary of how to fix many problems I have come accross whilst playing this game so far. All of these I have come accross in the emulator: No$GBA. Here is how to fix these problems. All directions are in said emulator.

1. The Saved Data Cannot be Accessed
When you load the ROM for the first time, the emulator may come up with a screen saying something about being unable to access the save data, and having to reboot your DS. Well, this does not work, however, there is a simple solution to this. First, go to Options >> Emulation Settings. Under NDS Cartridge Backup Settings, choose FLASH512KBYTES. Click OK, then go to Options >> Save settings. Finally go to File >> Reset Cartridge.

2. Black Screen of Death
The common error in the ROMs of these games is the so called Black Screen of Death. This will happen when you finish creating or select a file. You will hear the sound/music but the screen of your emulator will be completely black. To fix this, you need to enable an Action Replay code that fixes the bug. Go to Utility >> Cheats. Then in the first box put this code:
020DE16C E1A00000
020D3FA8 E1A00000
In the second box type in a memorable name for the code, such as Black Screen Fix. Finally, select the option at the bottom saying that it is an Action Replay code. You will need to activate this code every time you play.

3. The ROM Image has Crashed
Occasionally, you will get a pop-up saying The ROM Image has Crashed and the emulator will close itself. You will find that when you reload the ROM, you are not at the last save point. The emulator will have wiped the entire previous sesdion in order to prevent some kind of (unexistant?) bug. This can really piss you off, especially if you'd been constantly saving for the last half our in order to prevent that kind of thing happening/having much impact.
Now this is an unstoppable problem, however, it is preventable. Before it crashes, most of the time, there will be a sign that something is wrong. For me, common signs have been the icons on the touchscreen menu dissapearing, and when walking through tall grass you appear to be walking above it, rather than through it (no movement of the grass, and you can see your feet). If you get a sign like this, CLOSE YOUR EMULATOR! It will mean you will be at your last lave point, but it's not as bad as losing your entire session.

4. Evil Whitney!
A problem I have recently come accross is problems with the ROM image constantly crashing after I defeated Whitney. Other people have said about this as well. I did some experimenting and this is what I managed to work out. Once you have defeated the third gym leader, Whitney (located in Goldenrod City), this will start to happen. When ever you accept any item off of anyone, be it a pokemon, flowerist, passer by, shop keeper, the game will go all glitchy, but you won't notice it. The next time you save, you will see. A couple of seconds after the save is completed, the ROM image will crash. This also occurs when you save after using a TM/HM (and possibly after exchanging phone numbers, though I'm not sure. But probably not worth the risk). To prevent this, you must close the emulator as soon as the saving is completed, before the ROM image has a chance to crash. An alternative option is to reset the cartidge, but it is safer to close it. One you reload it, you should not encounter this problem again, until you accept another item, use a TM, etc.

5. GBA BIOS
Never, ever change the Reset/Startup Entrypoint to GBA BIOS. If you do this and save the options, you've screwed up. Or at least, you will think you have when you realize that every time you load the ROM, the ROM image crashes. However, there is a way around this, and you do not need to reinstall the emulator. You can manually reset the settings without even using the emulator. Go to the folder or location where your NO$GBA emulator is. It should have thrown five pieces of junk into the same location. BATTERY, SLOT, etc. Find the on that is only named NO$GBA, and the icom is a notebook with bits and bobs and cogs or whatever surrounding it. Hover over it and it should say something about Configuration Settings, and be approximately 2KBs large. Delete this file, or move it to a different location. When you load the emulator, it will be unable to locate the settings, and replace them with the default ones. Change them as neccissary, and never make that same miststake again.

6. Freezing on Knockout
Quite often I noticed that when I knocked out an enemy, the game just stopped and did absolutely nothing, but when I closed and reopened the emulator. After a while, I realized that without the sound enabled this would always happen. To fix this easilly, just right click on the emulator screen and click sound. You should hear the target make its cry, then faint.

That's all I've come accross so far. I'll add any more I find or add any needed detail. Mail me if you want something to be added.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
3. The ROM Image has Crashed
Occasionally, you will get a pop-up saying The ROM Image has Crashed and the emulator will close itself. You will find that when you reload the ROM, you are not at the last save point. The emulator will have wiped the entire previous sesdion in order to prevent some kind of (unexistant?) bug. This can really piss you off, especially if you'd been constantly saving for the last half our in order to prevent that kind of thing happening/having much impact.
Now this is an unstoppable problem, however, it is preventable. Before it crashes, most of the time, there will be a sign that something is wrong. For me, common signs have been the icons on the touchscreen menu dissapearing, and when walking through tall grass you appear to be walking above it, rather than through it (no movement of the grass, and you can see your feet). If you get a sign like this, CLOSE YOUR EMULATOR! It will mean you will be at your last lave point, but it's not as bad as losing your entire session.

for crashes and save losses what I do is save constantly and quit the emulator (before it crashes, which means once every 20 min or so) so that the sav file in the battery folder gets updated with the latest save point, then I copy that sav file somewhere as a backup. If my rom crashes I just copy my backup sav file back and replace the original one in the battery folder

here are some other problems I've had while playing:
- menu buttons disappear and the game freezes
- game freezes when using an HM move
- spinning pokeballs during a battle
- sprite glitches (can be solved easily by walking through a door though)

generally, saving often and backing up my sav file has been working really well for me. I haven't really had any problems besides the ones listed above. In my previous post I mentioned how my brother's game kept crashing, and we found out that he just wasn't saving and closing the emulator often enough.
Right now I'm on my way to the elite 4 :D

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 14, 2010
..i have a problem w/ my no$gba ,i'm playing pokemon heartgold - when i'm finish w/ the fourth gym its start crashing all the time that says:"rom imge has crash"? and when i open it, its always crashing...

"sorry, but im new about this"

..what i'am going to do ?.,please help me

..how do you do that w/ no crashing?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2013
Im using R4DS, should mine crash? Haven't tried yet as I am awaiting a new mains charger (yn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back