• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Pokémon: The Thieves of Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I'm on my phone right now so I can't quote right now. But previous reviews have pointed out what required quoting. I'm going to just mention two things that I noticed.

One small thing is that when Shin is eating in the second chapter, you call the vegetable soup "juice". Vegetable soup is different from vegetable juice. Told you it was small.

The next thing is something that you do often through this. The Pokemon's gender. Most of the time you call the Pokemon "it", but then there are times when you give them a gender. It's something that I noticed.

That's all that I noticed for problems. Other than that, the only personal thing that I would change is the amount of descrption. I would go with less on what you describe and how. Only you can really judge how much description is necessary. I wasn't completely bothered by it.

This is still one of the better fanfics that I've read. I can see that you take the necessary care for each chapter. I'm definently looking forward to more!

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Whaaa I call it "juice"? o0 Really? I can't even remember that. I'll go back and check that out for sure :]

*goes back*

Ah, crikes xD I don't even remember putting that there; stew and juice are totally different :s no idea what I was thinking, or if I was thinking actually lol /changes

and I thought I caught all gender inconsistencies xD It's always supposed to be neutral; I'll surf through to see where I might've missed some, though.

Thanks for pointing it out :D

As for description, I'm keen on adding details :s I usually don't describe a room or a place in such broad detail unless it's being examined - in this case, Shin is examining the room and all its details. Then he moves to the kitchen and studies there as well, so it seemed appropriate to point out even minor details.

I'm hoping to get another chapter out later today or tomorrow. I'm trying to slow down my pace so I can catch silly errors like "juice".

Thanks for reading :]

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Chapter Four

Before-Chapter Notes: If you decide to do a long review on this, do place the entire review in spoilers please. I don't want to sound picky, but my chapters are semi-long and it takes a while to load a page that's filled to the core with text - and only has one chapter on it - so please use the handy-dandy spoiler tags to allow people to optionally view reviews!

Thanks.

Comments, reviews, and appropriate ratings are encouraged! It gives me the inspiration I need to keep writing at an enjoyable pace!

Even if it's just to say what you like or don't like, do speak out.

Total Words: 14,923

Chapter Four

The sun was warm and the wind was fresh; I inhaled deeply, taking in the pleasant aromas of the grass and the trees surrounding me. Bird pokémon were chirping happily in the trees, preparing to migrate South. As I watched them fly, brown forms against the cauliflower clouds, I recognized some of the species to be pidgey and pidgeotto. The random spearow darted through the sky with ease, staring down with sharp, gleaming eyes as it passed overhead. I watched them with awe, imagining what it must be like to be able to fly.

"Stop daydreaming," Murrey growled, examining a tree in the clearing. I blinked and looked over at him, almost tripping over his sandshrew. The pokémon chattered at me and started thrashing its tail around; it then walked away, its hands against its chest as it looked to the sky in a snobbish fashion. I sneered at it.

The carpenter knocked on the tree and listened, his ear pressed against its bark. As I approached, he said gruffly, "Come here and tell me what you hear."

I put my ear against the bark and tapped on the tree. Khail and Asmar looked up at me curiously.

"I don't hear anything," I admitted bitterly, a bit disappointed.

"Good."

I averted my eyes to him, confused. "Was I not supposed to hear something?" I enquired, an amateur at chopping down trees.

Murrey shook his head. "If you had heard something, that would have meant that the tree was hollow," he explained, grabbing a two-handed saw from nearby. Its blade was made from sharpened iron. "A hollow tree is no good for buildings. Can you imagine if we had used a hollow tree as a support? The building would collapse."

While keeping a grip on one end, he handed me the saw; I set my axe down and received it. Then, Murrey knelt down beside the tree's base and took out a piece of charcoal from his pocket. With it, he drew a line near the base that tilted down at a relaxed angle. He spat out the side of his mouth away from me and pushed sweat away from his brow.

"Have you ever cut down a tree before?" he asked me, still kneeling. When I answered negatively, he scoffed. "Well, then, I suppose I'll have to teach you. It's rather simple, actually." He pointed to the line he had drawn on the tree's trunk and told me, "We need to cut at this angle from this side; that way, the tree will fall safely away from the house and into the grass. Do you understand?"

I ignored Khail who was racing around at my feet between my legs. "It seems simple enough," I replied, although truthfully I was thinking pessimistically about it. I could picture it now: the tree, rather than falling away from the house, would fall towards it and crush it.

I shuddered.

Murrey's sandshrew tackled Khail. They ran off, commencing a game pokémon "tag" in the golden field. Standing up, Murrey chewed on the long piece of grass in his mouth and examined the tree again. He nodded, then turned to me.

"Are you ready?" He asked me, his eyebrows raised in question.

I nodded, burying the negative thoughts that had inhabited my mind prior. "Yes, sir," was my confident response. Murrey grinned. Together, we placed the saw at an angle against the tall maple tree and began to cut rhythmically. The sun bore down on us as harshly as we sliced into the determined surface on the tree. The cut was uneven, and it worried me greatly for the slightest change in angle could alter the path of the falling, wooden pillar radically.

After what seemed like hours, my hair glittering with sweat and my shirt damp in several areas, the tree fell. Khail, startled in the grass, began to bark and howl at it, the thundering noise of it falling and crashing into the grass frightening it. I was relieved to see it had fallen correctly. I wiped the sweat from my forehead and inhaled deeply. From behind, Murrey put his hand on my shoulder and stated:

"Congratulations, Shin. You've just cut down your first tree."

I grinned and looked at him. "That wasn't so hard," I boasted, inflating my chest and straightening my back.

Murrey laughed. "That's great; there's plenty more where that came from."

My proud stance disappeared as he said this. I looked at him quickly. His stern facial expression told me he wasn't kidding. Murrey carefully took the saw from my hand and walked towards the fallen tree trunk. Setting the tool aside, he studied the tree's bark, touching it lightly with his fingers at points. The man then turned to me.

"Do you know what we do now?" he questioned me sternly.

I flinched before responding. "We get rid of the bark?" My tone of voice made it obvious that I was uncertain of this answer.

"Ella gave you an axe, right?"

I nodded. "I set it down back there."

"Go and get it," Murrey ordered gruffly.

I nodded again and quickly retrieved my axe from near the fallen tree's stump. Looking at Murrey, whose serious gaze was studying the tree's uneven bark, I contemplated how anti-social he was. His wife, on the other hand, was quite cheerful and good-spirited. They had very different personalities, yet they seemed so content together. It reminded me of my sister and I when we were children.

Emia... I remembered her chestnut-brown hair... her brilliant smile... the way my clothing would hang off her, due to being too large...

"What did I tell you about daydreaming?" the man barked, interrupting my thoughts. His cross look bore into my skin like a drill in cement.

I blinked and looked at him. "Sorry," I stammered, shaking my head.

"You can't keep doing that; this is dangerous work, boy." Murrey rose to his feet and grumbled, his arms crossed. "Next thing you know, you'll be whining that your arm got cut off. Pay attention."

"Er, sorry." Gripping the axe tightly in my grasp, I scratched my head, ruffling up my hair. "So, how do we get rid of the bark?" I asked him. The ambiance was awkward; the question was meant to make us, specifically me, more comfortable.

"With the axe," he replied simply, setting the sharp end of his axe against the trunk. "We need to pry it off carefully to make a good support poll. If we delve too deep, we'll cause a hole, and we don't want that." He scaled the tree with his eyes. "When we reach a limb," he continued, "we need to get out the saw and cut it off. The limbs we'll chop up later for firewood."

I nodded comprehensively and stood beside him. At his gesture, I moved to the upper part of the tree and began chipping and prying out the stubborn bark. Murrey didn't have any difficulty with it; his experience and fitness level allowed him to remove the pesky crust of the trunk with relative ease. I watched him and admired his strength, slowing my pace down gradually as I studied his movements. There was a pattern to them, that was certain, and it permitted the man to do his work efficiently.

"Stop slacking off."

The man hadn't looked at me; he just kept to his work. I averted my eyes back to the bark and began to pry with all my strength. Bits and pieces fell off into the golden sea of grass, seemingly small rafts sinking beneath the waves. Breathing heavily, I continued at a moderate pace, following Murrey's example before me. Our pokémon mocked us from afar, contently at play as the man and I toiled away, sweat dripping from our hair and soaking our backs. Gradually, the job became easier as my pace became rhythmical. As we finished removing the bark from the fallen tree and started removing the limbs with the saw, I kept glancing from the tree, to Murrey, to the house on the hill. This warm, inviting environment had accepted me into its embrace without hesitation, without second thoughts.

And I accepted it.

~​

A few hours later, after Murrey and I had successfully cut down, trimmed, and removed the bark from three different trees, Ella came to give us lunch. She handed us each a tray containing a plate of boiled vegetables (specifically broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots), an insignificant amount of remoraid meat, and a hunk of dry bread. To Murrey, she presented a cup of coffee; to me, she gave a glass of warm, miltank milk. She claimed I needed to strengthen my bones in my youth or I'd be frail and weak later. Ella also brought pokéfood for the critters. She gave to Khail a few pieces of meat, which it devoured eagerly; Asmar, on the other hand, received nuts and berries. I assumed this was a preference of the sandshrew's, for it was technically an omnivore by nature, yet it only ate plants.

Drinking the creamy milk thirstily, I looked at Murrey out of the corner of my eye. Ella had returned to the house; what she did all day within it, I wasn't sure, but I didn't preoccupy myself with that. The man beside me was far more interesting.

"So," I began, swallowing a mouthful of vegetables.

"Don't talk while you're eating," the man interrupted firmly, sipping his coffee. "It's impolite."

I contemplated that. My mother had taught me about manners and politeness when I was a child; however, while living with the Espion, they were quickly forgotten. I had been surrounded by pigs – famished animals who didn't even look at what was on their plate before eating it. I picked up the warm fish meat and looked at it hungrily. I bit off a chunk of it and began to chew it contently. Cutting down trees had left me in a famished state of which only now was I healing.

Murrey looked my way and gave me a hopeless frown. "Use your fingers to divide your meat first, then eat the smaller pieces," he told me in an unfriendly tone.

I widened my eyes, half of the fish already in my mouth. Murrey's cross look forced me to remove it and divide it up into pieces with my fingers. I then began to eat the smaller pieces, feeling uncomfortable as the man's green eyes monitored me closely. After a moment, his gaze returned to his own plate. He did as he preached and divided his meat before attempting to consume it.

"Uh, so tell me," I recommenced, nothing in my mouth. "Have you been a carpenter for long?"

Ella's husband swallowed his food before replying. "My grandfather was a carpenter; my father was a carpenter, and now I'm one," he responded, drinking more of his coffee. When he had finished, he continued. "My father taught me everything I know about it, and his father taught him everything he knew. I suppose you can view it as my family's 'legacy'."

I nodded, comprehending the logic behind that. Then, a thought sprung to my mind, and I blurted, "but what about your son?"

"My son?" He cast me a startled look, and then relaxed. "Ella told you about him, eh?"

"Not much," I admitted, handing Khail a piece of remoraid meat. It barked happily and gently took the food from my hand. "I just noticed he wasn't around, and-"

Murrey cut me off. "I don't want to talk about him," he spat. His reaction alarmed me slightly. "He's a disgrace to this family, regardless what Ella says."

I looked at him as he continued to eat his food casually. His mood had changed; a perturbed look had invaded his face completely. Although I didn't understand exactly why Murrey despised his son, I let it be. The mere mention of his son had caused an uncomfortable, awkward ambiance to hover in the air, and I didn't feel particularly keen on worsening it.

We worked the rest of the day in silence. As dusk approached, the temperature cooled and I allowed me muscles to relax, taking in the refreshing breeze of the sea with deep breaths. The waves crashed against the shore as the sun reflecting off its sapphire surface. On the sand below were wingull, peculiar birds with short feet whose wings were too large for it. Their cries were an annoying whine that broke the beauty of everything around us. I looked over at my poochyena who was sleeping in the grass. The couple's sandshrew was chasing a wild rattata in curiosity, although it was evident that the rat pokémon didn't appreciate it. I grinned, relatively amused.

"Hey!"

I blinked, and then looked in the direction of the older man. He was by the house now; as the sun glittered off the water, it caused a reflection that made it hard to see him. I placed the side of my hand to my forehead and peered towards the top of the cliff, squinting in an attempt to view him better. With my other hand, I waved in acknowledgement.

"Come inside!" he yelled at me, Asmar running up beside him. "It's time for dinner! I'm sure you're hungry!" He then turned away and began to walk towards the door.

I grinned broadly and yelled back: "I'll be right there!"

With my axe gripped firmly in both of my hands, I raced up the hill eagerly. Khail, having heard the sound of my running from nearby, stretched and rose to its feet. I beckoned for it to follow, and it did. The pokémon pranced along beside me, its tongue hanging out of its mouth as it panted. The wind blew through the grass and made a pleasant sound as my pokémon and I reached the house. Murrey had waited for me, much to my surprise, and had held the door open for me. My eyes wide, I thanked him, and stepped into the warm home again. Khail rushed in front of me, almost tripping me, as the man closed the door behind us.

Set before us, to our delight, was a variety of foods. A small bowl in the middle of the table was filled with nuts of all kinds; fruits were also present for us to eat, among them, fresh apples and oranges. Steaming plates of mareep meat and cold vegetables were accompanied by three glasses of herbal tea. The pokémon were given the fatty ends of the meat as well as nuts, berries, and some fish from earlier. Upon viewing the meal, Murrey looked at his wife and said:

"Sheep, Ella? You know that's expensive."

"Oh, Murrey, I know, but I wanted to make the boy feel at home." She pulled out a chair for me and gestured that I seat myself. I could feel my face becoming red as I thought about how she had gone out of her way to prepare a hearty meal specifically under the circumstance of my being there. Murrey remained gruff, though, even as he seated himself and savoured the scrumptious meat. I looked at it, never having tasted the meat of a mareep before, and cautiously bit into it.

It was the most flavourful, tender meat I had ever tasted. As a child, I thought nothing could best farfetch'd soup, but this... this was simply unbelievable!

"I see you're enjoying that," the woman chuckled, noticing my overwhelmed expression. When I nodded, she looked at her husband and smiled. He scoffed and continued to eat his meal.

"Don't get too used to that, boy," he grumbled at me. I slowly ripped off another piece of the meat and put it in my mouth, chewing slowly. "We won't be having this kind of meal everyday. My wife just got carried away today; expect fish from now on, you hear me?"

I nodded slowly. After hearing that, I began to eat slower, as to savour every last bit of the meat. I couldn't bring myself to believe that such a tender meat existed. It was so rich and flavourful. With every bite, the flavour only heightened. It felt as if my taste buds were having a party inside my mouth.

As I ate, the woman watched me with shining eyes. I ignored it, much too concentrated with my meal. Cutting trees and sawing off branches all day really built up an appetite; I never realized how difficult carpentry was until now. Sure, I had read of it in books, but experiencing something was certainly more eye-opening than just reading and being empathetic about it. The fatigue and hunger made me reflect on those souls who had been charged in building the Espion's fortress long ago, and my spirit suddenly fell. I sat back in my chair and relaxed, my eyes empty as I stared at the food before me.

Ella seemed to notice this, for she enquired: "Is there something wrong, Shin?"

"Eat your food," Murrey said crossly, biting into an apple he had taken from the table. His wife gave his shoulder a swift, light smack with the back of her hand, as to show her discontent. She then looked back at me, smiling.

"No need to be fearful; you can tell us anything." Ella then glanced at her husband. "Well, at least, you can tell me anything," she corrected herself, frowning at Murrey. He rolled his eyes at her.

Khail climbed on my lap, tired and full of food. It stretched and curled itself into a ball, burrs and grass entangled in its black fur. I placed my hands on the tired pokémon. My thoughts were lost, spiralling; my mind became a dark abyss of emptiness wrapped in the dried, white skin of a silcoon. Images of the slaves, the Espion, and my family flashed in my mind, a slide show I did not want to view.

"Shin? Shin, are you all right?"

I blinked. Ella had a confused expression on her face, while her husband wore a grave frown. Pushing my half-eaten plate away from me, I got to my feet and, with the sleeping pokémon in my arms, I said quietly, "Please excuse me."

I then left the table and walked outside, not waiting for a response. The sun was but a purple glow in the distance, sitting upon the sea and illuminating the sky in its final moments. I walked awkwardly down the hill, stumbling over my own feet and minor pebbles. The brume came; its approach had been foretold by the cold, blue sea and the day's heat. My feet sunk into the sand, leaving distinct footprints that created a path behind me. The wingull had taken flight and were nowhere to be seen. Khail continued to sleep peacefully in my arms, undisturbed by the sounds of the sea and the crunch of my feet penetrating the uneven surface of the ground.

As I progressed, the fog became progressively thicker; by the time I had reached the cliff of the lighthouse in the distance, it was difficult to see my hand in front of my face. If it had not been for the light emanating from the tall, white tower, I would have surely lost my way completely during the trek. Seating myself on a rock, I gazed out in the direction of the sea. The sound was soothing. I cuddled my poochyena in my arms, shivering from the cold and bothered by the dampness of my clothing.

Why did this happen to me? The thought had slipped into my mind dozens of times before, yet here it was again, still unanswered. I grabbed a stone from beside me and tossed it. A second or so later, it breached the water's surface with a deep sound and then sank. In the Espion, you're taught not to cry – to always be strong, no matter the situation – but the feeling overwhelmed me, just as the fog had done physically. The last time I had wept was when I was ten, just after I arrived back home to realize I was alone. I had wept for the loss of my family and my friends, my belongings and my past. The fire's smoke that enveloped Acacia had stung my eyes, but not as badly as the tears that had pierced through them so violently.

I sighed and wiped my eyes clean. The condensation from the fog on my face combined with my salty tears, allowing it to camouflage my weakness. My expression was still one of grief, though, and even the thick mist was incapable of hiding that.

"Is there something you need to talk about?"

I looked up at a familiar figure with a different face. I had expected him to express sternness and indifference. This was not the case, however; Murrey's expression was bizarrely soft and comforting. It left me to wonder if the fog was fooling with his facial details.

The man sat beside me slowly; he then turned his eyes to the sea, also incapable of seeing it due to the fog. His expression told me he was thinking. I traced his face with my eyes thoughtfully.

"No, I'm fine," I lied, scratching Khail behind its ears. The pokémon seemed to enjoy it even in its slumber, for its ears perked up attentively and twitched a few times.

The silence was oddly comfortable. Normally, Murrey would make me feel awkward within his presence, but here, he was different. After studying his face a bit more, he seemed disturbed by something. I wasn't sure what it was, but I was curious.

Turning to him, I went to say something but he interrupted me.

"I know I haven't been the best company today," he began; he was still looking out at the sea with a soft, steady gaze, "but I hope to improve that." His gaze averted from the direction of the sea to me.

I looked at him, my usually-spiked hair wet and plastered to my forehead. This man, who I had come to know as serious and unfriendly, was entirely different here. As he continued, his voice both soft and thoughtful, I couldn't help but ponder his change in attitude. His next words were unexpected and confounded me entirely.

"I don't want to make the same mistake twice."

Last edited:

ChrisTom

With all regards,
Years
Hmm.....

This is really good! I like the overall concept and how you describe the characters. I thought how you did the bit with the boat being destroyed was really good. I found the old couple to be quite humorous. As with all historical fanfics though, some of the references were a bit confusing. I can't wait to see more!

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
It isn't meant to be historical :s It's just meant to be themed with a medieval feel - no electricity, no cars, no electric boats, etc. - but some things may or may not have been invented at the same time as modern medieval history. That's why I specified "450 years before Red", and not "1500". That way, technically things that weren't invented until 1800 (i.e. the couch) could still be used in the story, since it's not meant to be a historical reference. It's an entirely different world - an entirely different dimension, even - which is why some ideals within the fanfiction aren't factual, because it isn't based on historical events.

Thanks for reading, ChristTom :]

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Chapter Five

Before-Chapter Notes: Like before, if you decide to review and it's really, really big (see: bobandbill as well as Misheard Whisper's review on Page Two (2)), put the entire thing in spoilers, please. That way, readers aren't bombarded with text and it's easier to load pages :]

Thank-youuuu~

Total Words (Chapter): 3650
Total Words (Fanfiction to Date): 18,572

Please comment! Comments are very appreciated!

Chapter Five

The man rested his arms on his knees. For a moment, there was silence. Bewildered, I thought about what Murrey had said not long ago. I was unable to make a connection between the present situation and something that would have happened before, however; with my eyes heavily gazing upon the older man's upset face, I asked:

"What happened?"

He didn't answer. The man, concentrated deeply on his own thoughts, remained quiet beside me. I could tell he was thinking intensely, so instead of enquiring further, I turned my face away from him. Khail, like Murrey, was motionless. When I looked down at him, it was evident he was dreaming about something amusing – perhaps chasing a skitty into a corner, or racing after a thrown stick.

The moon above was a beautiful crescent of light. Through the fog, I could make out the twinkling of several bright stars, gazing down at the earth from afar. Their shining forms were white dots of paint upon a giant, black canvas. It was absolutely stunning.

"He didn't want to be a carpenter."

I looked at Murrey now, a bit shocked that he had spoken. "Who didn't want to be a carpenter?" I asked, confused at the vagueness of his statement.

"My son," he told me. His expression became solemn as he spoke. "My son, Warden. He didn't want to be a carpenter; he wanted to be a florist." Murrey chuckled quietly, his face softening. "How absurd."

He looked at me now. I could feel his emerald eyes studying my face, absorbing every detail. It made me feel uncomfortable, but I didn't avert my eyes. The man sighed briefly.

"When I found you on the beach the other day, I was shocked. I swore it was my son laying there half-drowned." He laughed, pushing back his hair. My eyes monitored him closely, interested. "I felt like walking into that fog had sent me back in time fifteen years – back when Warden was twenty and..."

His sentence trailed off into thought. I frowned at him and waited a few moments, before asking:

"Did something happen?"

Murrey stood up slowly and put his hands on his waist. "Come, Shin," he said to me smoothly, looking at me from over his shoulder. "Let's take a walk."

I nodded and stood up, my dark pokémon held safely in my arms. It whined softly in its sleep, moving its paws in anxiety. I stroked its fur softly while following Ella's husband up the beach. The fog had thickened into an opaque wall of smoke. In order to not lose sight of Murrey, I hastened my pace. The wind was cold against our backs, pushing the fog towards the shoreline. My hair and clothing were soaked; my poochyena's fur was completely drenched, yet the pokémon didn't seem to mind that much. As I scratched it behind its ears, it woke up, yawned, and squirmed in my arms until I set it down in the sand. Khail followed along behind us, snapping its jaws in the air in an attempt to devour the fog. I shook my head. What a silly pokémon indeed.

As we walked, I noticed that grass had started to sprout up in the sand. Gradually more and more grass began to invade the sand's territory, and soon, we were walking in a field of golden strands. The ground, damp due to the overlaying brume, was flat and easy to walk on. Shrubs and trees began to appear around us, emerging from their imprisonment in the mist. Field pokémon scurried around in the tall grass; Khail growled at them fiercely, its yellow eyes gleaming. It shook itself, its fur increasing in volume due to it being wet. I looked at the pokémon and smirked. The poor pup looked like a black puffball.

Trees began to surround us from all sides. I looked at Murrey; the man continued to walk in silence as he lead me towards the unknown. I wanted to ask where we were going, but I hesitated. There was a lot on the man's mind – that much was certain – and I didn't want to bother him any more than I already had.

We finally arrived at a small clearing. It appeared that the grass in the area had been trampled on purpose, perhaps to create the necessary path to the monument in the middle. The fog from the sea infiltrated even the depths of the small woodland. The dark combined with the mist spooked me out. Khail didn't seem to appreciate it, either. It kept whining beside me, cautiously glancing from side to side. As we approached the centre of the clearing, I noticed the stone monument was a flower's cemetery. The dead leaves of various types of plants opposed the windy environment stubbornly. I knelt down beside it, feeling the dry sprouts with my hands.

"Was this..?"

"This was my son's garden," Murrey told me, meeting my gaze. "He would come here at night to tend to it."

I turned back to the garden. Khail tried to bite one of the leaves in curiosity; I smacked its side, causing the pokémon to back up with its tail behind its legs. The stones encasing the soil were brittle and cracked. It was obvious that the garden was made long ago.

"Warden had a gift, I tell you," the man continued, folding his arms and looking at the flowerbed sadly. His tone of voice was proud, though. "That boy could plant a tulip in the middle of the desert and it would grow."

"What happened between you and your son, Murrey?" I asked him, examining the dead plants. A few moments later, I directed my view at the man's solemn pair of eyes.

"I... I didn't acknowledge his talent." His voice was quiet now. "I said some horrible things to my son, just because he loved plants. Having raised him to be a carpenter, this platonic obsession for herbs and plants wasn't something I could accept.

"I was selfish," he continued, looking away with closed eyes, "and it caused a dispute to occur. Warden left a few days after, and we haven't seen each other since. I know where he lives; I just don't bother with visiting him, and he doesn't visit me."

I inhaled deeply during Murrey's pause. I felt bad for him; empathetically, I said, "You could always go visit him and tell him how you've felt this entire time."

The man shook his head, his tied, blonde hair swinging back and forth like a metronome. "I can't do that," he began, "because of what I said to him during the fight. He would never forgive me."

"But after fifteen years, I'm sure..."

"I told him his filthy obsession with plants would make his grandfather turn in his grave," Murrey interrupted me harshly. He looked towards me as I stood up, Khail in my arms. "I told him he was the disgrace of the family, and I regretted his entire existence."

I was shocked to hear this; this serious man was always so gruff, but I never imagined him to be so... poisonous. He hadn't even directed those comments at me, but I could feel how it must have shredded his son's heart. The words were cruel and heartless. To hear that from your own father... I tried to imagine the scene in my mind, the hateful words being tossed around carelessly, relentlessly. I cringed.

"I don't have the guts to even send him a letter, let alone visit him." Murrey's voice was trembling; I wasn't able to tell if it was the cold that had caused it, or his unsettled emotions.

I looked at the trampled grass thoughtfully. "Did you flatten this grass?" I asked him, tilting my head as I looked his way.

He nodded. "About five years ago, I started to take care of this place," he told me, turning his back to the monument and looking up at the canopies of the trees. "I said to myself: 'If Warden ever comes back, I want to show him that I've accepted his decision'. It was harder than it looked, though. He could raise flowers from seeds to adulthood much easier than I could. When I tried myself, most of them didn't even grow. They just wilted and died." He turned around swiftly and looked at me. "I guess that's to be expected, eh? A carpenter can't tend to a garden, just like my son couldn't build for squat." Murrey sighed heavily. I could tell he was trying to act lighthearted about the situation, but deep inside, it hurt him.

I squeezed Khail in my arms tightly. The pokémon didn't seem to mind; it just yawned and looked around.

"It's uncanny the resemblance between you and Warden." Murrey placed one hand against the side of a tree and leaned against it. He examined me. "Ella knows I miss Warden; she asks me everyday before going to bed. I always answer 'No', but both her and I know that it's not true." He chuckled to himself lightly, standing up straight. "When I look at you, Shin, I feel like I've been given another chance. I can't do to you what I did to him long ago; it'd be like reliving the past and having my son hate me all over again."

Murrey approached me and wrapped his one arm around my neck. I looked at him uneasily; his lips had curled into a broad smile while his eyes were spotted red. I relaxed.

"C'mon, lad, let's go back home."

I nodded and, with his arm still stretched across my shoulders, we walked back towards the house. As we walked, the mist behind us concealed any evidence of us having been there.

~​

The next few weeks went by very fast. No longer did I portray Murrey as this intimidating giant, ready to lunge at me at every opportunity. Instead, ever since that revealing discussion in the forest, the man had become a good friend of mine. He was still gruff and silent, but he smiled more often, and it was noticeable. Even Ella remarked it and asked if something had happened between us. Neither of us said anything; we just looked at each other and grinned.

Autumn passed. The first snowfall fell on a cool, chilly day meriting gloves and scarves. As we left the house, our pokémon tried to follow us into the fresh, white fluff, but Ella stopped them.

"Oh no you don't," she laughed, wrapping Khail and Asmar in her arms. "It's much too cold for you two to be playing outside. You'll need to stay here with me."

Khail began to whine and squirm. The sandshrew looked at its trainer, cocked its head, and chattered silently. I patted my poochyena on the head and it calmed down, its tail drooping behind it.

"Oh, dear. I almost forgot." Ella reached into her pocket and pulled out a tiny brown sac. "Since you two are going to Vicinia today, why not spend this pokécent there? It's yours after all, isn't it, Shin?"

She placed the small, brown bag into my gloved hand. I looked at it, remembering where it had come from and who had given it to me. With cold breaths, I tucked the sac into my coat pocket.

"Thanks, Ella."

She nodded, her brown hair snapping at the crisp air. It had grown longer since my arrival in the home. I found that longer hair suited the woman better and made her face more appealing.

Khail looked up at me longingly. Kneeling down, I scratched the pokémon behinds its ears and whispered, "Be good, now, and listen to Ella. I'll come back."

It whimpered a little, its tail swishing back and forth. I smiled at it before looking up at Murrey who was kissing his wife goodbye. He then proceeded to pat Asmar on its head affectionately. The ground pokémon chattered quietly as it look at its male owner with big, green eyes.

"We'll be back in a few days," the man stated, his breath visible in the cool air. He grabbed a knapsack made from a tauros' hide and swung it on his back. Inside were supplies, such as blankets, flint, pokécent, and food. To me, Murrey handed another knapsack, only this one contained spare clothing. I swung it over my shoulders swiftly and looked at Ella with a grin on my face.

"Goodbye, Ella," I said to her, embracing her in my arms.

The woman kissed my forehead lightly and, after the release of the hug, looked at her husband with fondness. "Have a safe trip," she said to us kindly, inhaling deeply. Her hands were clutching her dress tightly, the material wrinkling under the strength.

Murrey nodded. "Don't worry about us, Ella. We'll be fine."

She sighed and leaned against the door's frame. With deep eyes, she watched us depart from the house down the icy hill. I looked back at her and waved. The woman waved as well and continued to watch, the two critters beside her sitting silently. Khail began to howl as we moved further away from the home, our black forms a stain against the white blanket covering the ground. Ella then pulled the two pokémon inside and closed the door behind her.

The snow was much like the sand of winter. As we walked, our footprints sank into it, leaving a path behind us – much like the sand had done in autumn. The winter had driven the fog away for the time being; instead, most nights were windy and violent. The cold thrusts of wind would carry the fallen snow into the air causing mild blizzards and decreased visibility. I liked it, though. While working with Murrey outside, I always had the tendency to capture a few of the flakes on my tongue during snowfalls. It amused me.

As we walked towards the South, light snow began to fall. Its attempt to dye my black hair white failed; instead, it appeared as if I had a severe case of dandruff. I wiped the snow off with my hand, the flakes melting into my gloves and dampening them. A frown spread across my face. Slightly annoyed, I removed my gloves and began slapping them against the side of my overalls, trying in vain to dry them. Murrey looked at me, frowning. He then looked at my glimmering hair and stated briskly:

"We need to get you a haircut."

I looked at him, my gaze sharp. "Huh?"

"Your hair. It's grown too long."

I raised my hand slowly and felt the hair on my head. It was true that it had grown longer, but I didn't think it needed to be cut just yet. Murrey seemed determined, though.

"When we get to Vicinia, we'll need to visit the barber." It appeared as if he was talking to himself and making plans without my input. I didn't bother to argue; my hair could always grow back anyway, and I didn't mind the idea all that much.

"Is Vicinia a large town?" I asked him curiously, rubbing my hands together and blowing on them. The temperature was a lot different than a few weeks earlier; working all day had become difficult due to loss of dexterity, specifically in the hands.

Murrey shook his head. "No, it's small," he told me, pulling up on his knapsack with his shoulders. His load was obviously heavier than mine. "We're quite far north, so not a lot of people move here. They find it's too cold." He scoffed. "If you ask me, they're just lazy and too absorbed in their city luxuries and conveniences. They don't even know the definition of hard work."

I thought about this for a moment. "Why do you live up here, Murrey?" I enquired curiously. Something in my mind wouldn't allow me to grasp why this older man would prefer a life of inconvenience compared to one of relaxation. "Don't you want to retire?"

He laughed. "Retire? Are you kidding?" The man smirked and folded his arms. "I'm not done living yet, lad. Even today, I'm overcome with energy and life. This flourishing, northern land is my home, my sanctity. I wouldn't give it up for some life where everything's delivered to your doorstep." Murrey's eyes brightened due to the reflection of the sun's weak rays on the snow. "Besides," he continued, wrapping his arms behind his head. He looked down at me, and I looked up at him. "I still have things to do, places to see, and people to forgive. I've a long life ahead of me; just because I'm fifty-five doesn't mean it's over."

I smiled at him, and looked in front of me. The snow crunched beneath my feet. Everything had been covered in snow in the past week and the outcome was a beautiful winter wonderland. Sure, it was chilly and it was hard to move my hands; I may have lost some dexterity, and my body shivered relentlessly, but it was worth it. Our home and its vicinity had been altered into a gorgeous winter desert for us to enjoy.

As the cold climate settled in, some interesting pokémon had started to appear around the area. I had noticed them while working with Murrey back at the house; one of them had been a peculiar bird carrying a bag. What was in it, I wasn't sure. I had tried to take a closer look at it but the startled, white and red creature had run from me. Now, in the crispness of the morning, I had witnessed the presence of more peculiar pokémon. I again saw the frightened bird from the other day; however, that was not all. A brown creature with a piggish nose was foraging for food in the snow not too far from the path. When I tried to approach, Murrey halted me with an outstretched arm.

"It's a swinub," he told me, blocking my way. "They come every year around this time to search for food before hibernating. Over there," he gestured with his head a bit to the right. I turned my head to see what exactly he was referring to, and immediately noticed a shaggy, bigger pokémon sniffing around with its nose. "That's most likely its mother. You don't want to get too close or it'll attack you."

I examined the pokémon with great interest. It looked harmless from here; however, the man's eyes reflected truth in his statements. Looking at him, I said to him:

"You know a lot about the pokémon who live around here."

He nodded and grinned, continuing down the path. I followed, my knapsack bouncing on my back as I rushed to catch up with him.

"When you live in a place long enough, you come to understand it," the man admitted, shaking his head as to remove the snow. "You start to recognize the pokémon around, and you even come to befriend them. That's how I acquired my scyther years ago."

I thought about this. Befriending them, huh? I chuckled. The Espion functioned exactly the opposite of that: pokémon aren't "friends"; they're "tools". Although I never did agree with their manner of treating pokémon, I had to make it appear that I did whenever the rest of the group had been around. Looking at Murrey, I realized he shared the same philosophy as I did in regards to the treatment of these intriguing beings. It comforted me.

I gazed at the unending path before us. The snow had created a temporary white desert where, instead of sandstorms, blizzards would hide the paths and blind the way. It was by this path that we were going to arrive in Vicinia. Murrey had calculated that it would take two days to arrive there, as long as we walked at a relatively fast pace.

The small town of Vicinia was inhabited primarily by farmers and fisherman. It was one of the only towns I had not visited with the Espion, due to it being difficult to harbour in the proximity. From the man's answer earlier, I estimated the town to have a population of around two hundred, three hundred at the most. We were going there for winter supplies and, more importantly, to rent two ponytas from a local rancher. With them, we would transport the tree logs we had cut down in autumn to the rural community; then, we would begin to build a new house for a small family.

A light breeze blew past us from behind. Tree branches brushed against each other, the wind removing any remaining leaves from its limbs. There were quite a few pine trees in the area; they mocked the deciduous trees' incapability to bare against the cold. In some areas, the snow had melted to reveal the tips of short, yellow grass. Up ahead, a pokémon (which Murrey identified as a "delibird") jumped at the sight of us walking up the hill. It raced from the clearing and into the depths of the surrounding woodland, completely out of sight. Smirking, I inhaled deeply and exhaled. My warm breath created a moment of condensation in the air upon contact. I was fascinated, and greatly amused.

This is going to be fun, I thought to myself, walking alongside Ella's husband cheerfully. My smile was broad and my spirits were high. I felt like nothing could ruin this trip.

Last edited:

Kiger Mustang

NOW UNDER USERNAME " SWEED "
Years
I promised a review and here it is (:
I love this story. It is so well written and the plot is easy to follow. The characters are believable and their Pokemon choice is perfect in my opinion. The plot is interesting, and I'm personally wondering what Shin plans to do and when Khail is going to evolve (;

Amazing story, A+ without doubt. You've got a subscriber outa me!

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Thanks Kiger ^^ I'm glad you enjoy it.

I haven't started chapter six yet; most likely, I'll start writing it later tonight and finish it on Thursday or Friday - Saturday at the latest. I'm trying to slow down my pace so people can read and review. I might be going too fast lol

I'm also brainstorming ideas for Vicinia. I know the basics of what's going to happen there; however, I plan to add something to alter some of the events so they don't become redundant.

Stay tuned o;<

Reddo

Happy!
Years
I've just read chapter one and I'm just amazed by everything! XD
The characters are great and the description of the place is wonderful!
The story went just like a movie in my head! =D

It's just excellent!

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Need to take some time and read your fanfic, it seems great!

Thanks. I've had only positive feedback so far; I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's definitely a different take on the Pokemon series xD

By the way, thanks for reading, Reddo!

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Thanks, Shadow_Angel. Although I can't publish it as-is, I plan to edit out everything related to Pokemon when I've finished. The finished product should be around... 250,000-350,000 words, or just larger than the size of J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (which comes in at 250,000 words).

I'm about 25% done chapter six, just to mention that to anyone interested.

Thanks to everyone who's read, having commented or not (though comments are awesome)!

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I may or may not be drunk and sleep-deprived right now, which means parts of this are going to end up hilarious.

Also, after doing everything I could, this review's about ten thousand characters over the maximum character limit for a post because it covers three chapters and because I have a lot to say. Hence, you get it in two parts.

Spoiler:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
And part two.

Spoiler:

And now to go to bed and wake up with a massive hangover in the morning.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
All right. Now that I have the time, I'll be replying to that review at 100%.

Spoiler:

Overall, I'll change some things. I won't change my style, though - only things to make the story clearer and perhaps more gramatically correct, since I seem to have an issue omitting commas I don't like after "and".

I'd like to remind you that it's my story; if some things aren't invented as modern-like as you would like, oh well. It's fictional. I could make a space ship fly around in chapter six, and although it'd be strange, I could, because I'm the author. As long as there's a reasonable explanation for it, I can do whatever I want (I'm not going to put a spaceship lol .-. Just an example).

You seem to want a rushed plot. The Thieves of Time isn't for you, then. You question a lot of things as if it's bad not to know at the beginning. Shin doesn't even know yet - why would I tell you if Shin doesn't even know? That would be awkward.

"Shin doesn't know it yet, but he's actually blahblah"

^ See? That's just weird.

You need patience; a lot of key things are discovered later on in the story. The plot hasn't even started yet because I'm trying to slow it down and add more conversation and chatter between characters. That way, the reader can get a better feel of how the characters would behave in situations that may come.

The way I see it, you're like a FPS player reviewing an RPG. You know the basics about the game console (grammar), but the style is very different from what you like (FPS vs RPG). If you want to make a 100% medieval-like-to-the-core fanfiction, go ahead. I'd gladly read it.

Thanks for reading and reviewing.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
So I decided to take another look at this + the next chapters when it wasn't after midnight and me posting the next day. =P But this does focus a lot more on qualms now, I'll add.

But first I must touch on some things regarding Jax's post that re-looking at the fic she has a point on many a thing there, including the part that you tend to go off on tangents and bring in facts that don't suit the moment - and there seem to be examples of this remaining in previous chapters and the newer ones as well (I'll throw a few examples at you later). =p Also to a few comments here and there:
Sure, it's been done, but you've only read 4% of the entire story. It may seem unoriginal at first, but I haven't even touched the plot yet.
However the problem is that this 4% of the story does happen to be the first part, so a lack of 'the real plot development' after a few chapters does strike me as misleading - and how will readers be able to tell when they start reading the beginning? It's not as clear-cut as just saying '4% so far only and it hasn't started yet anyway' - generally try and have it so such thoughts/questions don't need to be asked + answered outside of the story. If it's to be revealed later, then hint towards it at least more than what it is now, but as-is the questions remain unanswered in the fic, and that isn't necessarily going to slide for an observant reader because as-is it seems that it isn't going to b answered (until you say so in the author notes which doesn't quite cut it). The problem is finding the balance between creating questions that make us want to read on, and creating questions that look like plotholes, and I can see how Jax sees them as the latter, looking back.

Although I can't publish it as-is, I plan to edit out everything related to Pokemon when I've finished. The finished product should be around... 250,000-350,000 words, or just larger than the size of J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (which comes in at 250,000 words).
This kinda irks at me when I also noticed you've been talking about the word-count elsewhere as well (like at the start of chapters) and also some rather...wordy passages in the last two chapters, as it suggests that you value word-count a lot...when it really matters naught. I mean, bring out that you aim for it to be longer than Harry Potter seems pointless unless that's the case, but this to me seems a wrong mindset - it is not the quantity that counts, just the quality, and in general you shouldn't have unnecessary additions.

Maybe I'll just move onto quotes now.
He didn't answer. The man, concentrated deeply on his own thoughts, remained quiet beside me.
This sounds...a bit awkward - I can't exactly place it, but if anything it may be down to the fact that 'He didn't answer' is telling us basically the same thing as 'remained quiet beside me' - it's repetitive and makes part of this line unnecessary.
As I watched them fly, brown forms against the cauliflower clouds, I recognized some of the species to be pidgey and pidgeotto. The random spearow darted through the sky with ease, staring down with sharp, gleaming eyes as it passed overhead. I
The first bolded part...sounds most awkward, and these sort of instances tended to repeated themselves here. It feels like you've just jumped from one topic to another for a short moment before resuming - from him watching them fly to... a description of them back to what he sees - the commas do not seem to work well here for this part. The bolded part would be best separated from here (eg. 'I recognised many of the brown forms flying across the cloudy sky to be pidgey and pidgeotto.' for instance) which is much shorter and simpler to understand, and less clunky - leastways IMO.

Cauliflower clouds just sounds odd as well - I don't really see the link between how clouds regularly look like cauliflowers and it seems to be descriptive for the sake of description. And the spearow is...certainly random - it just came into the sentence with no introduction and kinda made me go 'what?' when I read 'The random spearow'.

"Stop daydreaming," Murrey growled, examining a tree in the clearing. I blinked and looked over at him, almost tripping over his sandshrew. The pokémon chattered at me and started thrashing its tail around; it then walked away, its hands against its chest as it looked to the sky in a snobbish fashion.
Going back to previous mentioned about the semicolons - whether they are right or not after a short while of reading sentences with them posititioned as-so in the chapter/s they make things sound somewhat awkward to me, and begs the question of why a new sentence isn't simply made there, or a hyphen, etc in some situations.
I averted my eyes to him, confused.
This sounds odd, with averted beaming turned from, turned aside (or prevented XD), but that doesn't fit here as-is. (Say change the 'to' to a 'from'?).
He nodded, then turned to me.
Comma doesn't seem to fit (I see no 'fanboys' - notably 'and' following it) here - but you'd probably be better going without a comma simply.
"Are you ready?" He asked me, his eyebrows raised in question.
Kill off the capital.
The cut was uneven, and it worried me greatly for the slightest change in angle could alter the path of the falling, wooden pillar radically.
Not exactly the slightest change imo - can't say I'm a professional wood cutter myself but it the cut is already at, say, 30 degrees and it's done as 25 it'll still fall the same way. IDK, this may need looking into - can't say I feel convinced by this segment, is all.
I ignored Khail who was racing around at my feet between my legs. "It seems simple enough," I replied, although truthfully I was thinking pessimistically about it. I could picture it now: the tree, rather than falling away from the house, would fall towards it and crush it.

I shuddered.
'racing around at my feet under my legs'...sounds a bit confusing for at first glance one can read that he's running both around the feet and through the legs, and secondly there's no need to tell us his feet are under his legs. =P Also note there's still the problem where you start sentences with the same word often in short bursts like here, where 3 out of four sentences start with 'I' (and the one that doesn't is dialogue which is followed by 'I said').
My proud stance disappeared as he said this. I looked at him quickly. His stern facial expression told me he wasn't kidding. Murrey carefully took the saw from my hand and walked towards the fallen tree trunk. Setting the tool aside, he studied the tree's bark, touching it lightly with his fingers at points. The man then turned to me.
Now, here's the bit about going on tangents and writing more then necessary - here, you're doing well with writing clearly - simply but clearly, going on about them cutting off the bark, when:
Bits and pieces fell off into the golden sea of grass, seemingly small rafts sinking beneath the waves.
Reading that sentence by itself I've no idea what it's about, and furthermore it doesn't fit the surrounding parts, and adds nothing to the story - it comes off as rather strong purple prose to me. Sure, it's pretty wording... but nothing else the way I look at it. =/ I'd advise against it, as if anything just confuses (certainly threw me off when I first read it).
"He's a disgrace to this family, regardless of what Ella says."
I'd add in that 'of' there.
As dusk approached, the temperature cooled and I allowed me muscles to relax, taking in the refreshing breeze of the sea with deep breaths.
My.
I nodded slowly. After hearing that, I began to eat slower, as to savour every last bit of the meat.
Works better as 'savouring' instead of 'as to savour' imo.
As I ate, the woman watched me with shining eyes. I ignored it, much too concentrated with my meal.
it refers to the look? Doesn't seem all that clear here, as it kinda reads like he's ignoring the woman as-is and referring to her as 'it'. XD
My thoughts were lost, spiralling; my mind became a dark abyss of emptiness wrapped in the dried, white skin of a silcoon.
This is another instance of it being confusingly overly-descriptive - it just left me confused at the choice of wording - mind became an dark abyss in the dried white skin of a silcoon? It just comes off as unnecessary and being descriptive for the sake of being descriptive - you already suggest to us how he feels, and this doesn't really help. (It doesn't actually, I'd argue, allow us to get a try sense as his feelings aren't touched upon here).
The brume came; its approach had been foretold by the cold, blue sea and the day's heat.
Not sure if you need to call it brume here as it seems a rather complicated version of an otherwise simple thing... Also the part about its arrival having been foretold by the sea and all...also strikes me as unnecessary here - you could probably go without that part without any hitch at all.
"I know I haven't been the best company today," he began; he was still looking out at the sea with a soft, steady gaze, "but I hope to improve that." His gaze averted from the direction of the sea to me.
Agaian with averted here it sounds odd - seeing it means turned from, turned aside, it seems to read 'His eyes turned from/aside from the...' - just seems a bit iffy when looked at that way - consider something else, I suggest.
I looked at him, my usually-spiked hair wet and plastered to my forehead.
This also seems odd - here he is looking at him, about to speak, only then we read that his hair is wet and plastered to his forehead right now - I feel it would fit better by itself or earlier, rather than in the middle of this.
I was unable to make a connection between the present situation and something that would have happened before, however; with my eyes heavily gazing upon the older man's upset face, I asked:

"What happened?"
This reads like a run-on sentence - again it seems you tend to stick to commas and semi-colons all too often at times - it'd be better to split into separate sentences here.
When I looked down at him, it was evident he was dreaming about something amusing – perhaps chasing a skitty into a corner, or racing after a thrown stick.
The moon above was a beautiful crescent of light. Through the fog, I could make out the twinkling of several bright stars, gazing down at the earth from afar. Their shining forms were white dots of paint upon a giant, black canvas. It was absolutely stunning.
I nodded and stood up, my dark pokémon held safely in my arms. It whined softly in its sleep, moving its paws in anxiety. I stroked its fur softly while following Ella's husband up the beach.
Gradually more and more grass began to invade the sand's territory, and soon, we were walking in a field of golden strands.
Now here I feel Jax's comments ring very true:
Why do I bring this up? Because I felt like this for about half of the story so far. Your descriptions are very pretty and very flowery, and your background is very detailed. However, there's just one teensy little problem: your characters are not doing anything. Seriously, in two chapters, if I removed all of the unnecessary backstory and overdescription, I'd probably cut your fic down by half. On top of that, you don't actually get anywhere until the very end of the second chapter. While the first couple of chapters of most works of fiction are usually for exposition, you spend so much time working on the minor details that you're crossing from building up the actual plot into a zone where you completely forget the plot for long periods of time just to talk about something that probably won't be particularly relevant later on in the story. This is, in fact, a bad thing.
At the start, he says 'follow me', and then they walk... but then I grew impatient to see what happened next for you kept going off on tangents to describe the moon, the golden strands of grass, what his Poochyena is dreaming about... it went on for a good while, and I'd say with confidence too long (which goes back to my worry about your comments concerning wordcount and all).
My hair and clothing were soaked; my poochyena's fur was completely drenched, yet the pokémon didn't seem to mind that much.
It shook itself, its fur increasing in volume due to it being wet.
Firstly the semi-colon would work better if replaces by a full stop and a new sentence made in its place I feel, or a comma and an and (i.e. ...were soaked, and my poochyena's...). The second thing here is that it's repetitive and only delayed the 'plot' in this chapter (regarding the son) even further - you already mentioned his hair being wet, and in these two quotes the poochyena being wet twice - watch out for that.
"It's uncanny the resemblance between you and Warden."
Sounds awkward, this - I'd say 'The resemblance between you and Warden is uncanny.'
No longer did I portray Murrey as this intimidating giant, ready to lunge at me at every opportunity.
I didn't quite get that feeling to be honest in the previous chapters - he struck me as a gruff character, yes, but not someone 'ready to lunge at (him) at every opportunity.'

Another thing that struck me as odd - he said/indicates that he had forgiven/misses his son here:
"I said to myself: 'If Warden ever comes back, I want to show him that I've accepted his decision'.
Ella knows I miss Warden; she asks me everyday before going to bed. I always answer 'No', but both her and I know that it's not true."
, but the previous chapter he said to Shin:
"He's a disgrace to this family, regardless of what Ella says."
Which seems contradictory - I'd feel that clamming up or looking upset or something would have been more reflective of his thoughts on his sun, rather than saying he was a disgrace.

To sum up, there seems to be more problems now - watch for awkward-sounding sentences - I didn't go over that so much but whenever an odd sentence appeared (along with some semi-colon sentences as well) it felt rather disjointed and brought me out of the story - look into that, read sentences out loud and consider some of the things said earlier on that, and for the times when you fall into the trap of going into flowery description that distracts and falls out of place, and I'd consider look back on the last chapter in particularly as here the pacing of events did move too slowly for me due to the tangents you went with describing everything with words that somethings don't fit the context much at all.

Briefly on the good parts, the character interactions were decent here (bar the aforementioned part where what he said before and later doesn't quite add up for me), and Murrey is the stand-out character - I find him interesting and enjoyable to read about. But there are a number of problems that should be addressed - maybe take more time in editing/writing chapters first as you have been moving at a rapid pace which may account for some of it. (Yes this was rather rambley). And lastly if you are unsure about jax's views on things, as I said above I believe there are some things she is quite right on and need looking at. Imo overall the first few chapters were decnt, but th latter the standard slipped some more, and the mistakes became more obvious (especially when I re-read things through, I suppose)...

Of course this can be fixed with some editing and time spent looking over things - the chapters will be quite good, I believe, if you address those problems.

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Thanks bobandbill. I'm taking it slower now :s Very much slower, since my freetime is pretty much gone.

Hopefully we'll see more positive results in the near future.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
One, I'm not stupid. No, you never said I was, but you insinuate it

This = assumption on your part, not what actually happened. I never said you were stupid, and I don't insinuate people are. If I ever wanted to say someone was stupid, I'd say it outright because unlike some people on the internet, I like to believe I have the balls to tell someone exactly what I think of them.

For example, I'm going to be extremely blunt with you for this response because your penchant for saying, "lol you just haven't read far enough" or "lol you're just looking for rushed literature with underdeveloped characters/setting/whatever" seems to patronize my skill as a literary analyst. You want to know my credentials? I'm in Smith College (the female equivalent of Yale University... or, in other words, in the same league as Harvard but for girls) for their English literature program. On a daily basis, I take apart and analyze literature line by line for deeper meaning and the effect of the devices each author uses. I made the Dean's List doing this. My aim is to become a copyeditor. I've worked with writers already to get a handle of how writing should be done (including how punctuation works), and I've studied the publishing industry extensively to understand how the process works. I've had my writing published in youth anthologies, and I've won awards offline for my metaphor-laden poetry. In high school, I've even been admitted into the National Honors Society (a nationwide organization for the gifted) on the basis of my work in language arts, history, and the sciences.

I'm not bringing all of this up to impress you, either. I'm not even bringing it up to make you feel inadequate (although it is partially a response to your penchant for putting the fact that you're gifted in your profiles). I'm just saying that, yes, I've been around for awhile, and I know a lot about writing. Don't dismiss me just because you think I don't know what I'm talking about. I do. I've spent years analyzing how literature (and the publishing process and the English language) work(s). I am not just some tasteless blowhard who goes, "lol ur doin it rong," and I don't appreciate it when a writer tries to tell me that I am (like what you did when you put the word "review" in quotes later on in your response, among other things). That, unlike the insinuations you seem to have picked up on in the course of my earlier review, is an insult to my intelligence, and if anyone around these parts can tell you, that sort of thing does not make me a happy Jax.

With that in mind, I apologize in advance for the fact that I'm annoyed. I don't mean anything on a personal level. I'm saying that there's an ideal that you can achieve (either as a writer or as a general member of the community) if you were a bit more open to criticism.

when you assume that I would write about such a notorious group of individuals and then, magically, they're good-hearted with one child. There's obviously a reason, but it's a major part of the plot - the plot that hasn't even started yet.

As bobandbill said, a good writer can weave a plot without causing a person to ask too many of the wrong questions. There's a difference between leaving something unanswered and making it look like a plot hole. You don't want your reader to stop and say, "Wait, what?" You want them to say, "Well, I see that they did this, but looking hard at the way they're acting, I can probably infer that this is the reason why."

For example, you have the elderly couple take in Shin. They know all about Espion and nothing about Shin. (And don't even try the "they're his parents" bit or something like that. Espion took Shin when he was extremely young. It's probably unlikely that they'd be able to tell it's him, especially since you've also noted that it was nighttime and foggy.) Yet, despite what they know, they still take him in without a problem and without much discussion between them. This doesn't seem like something that would cause a reader to ask questions. It just seems like they're doing it for plot's sake because you don't even leave a hint that there's a logical reason why they did that. (You don't even have them discuss it, after all.) That's not going to come off as a brilliant piece of writing that will make the reader think. It's just going to come off as a plot hole.

Writers do it a lot.

Yes, but the difference between what you're doing and what published authors do is how it's done. Yusshin, you do this a lot in your arguments. You compare yourself to published or popular media (Legend of Zelda included, as shown in our VMs) without actually understanding that there's more to their style than just the overlying layers you seem to pick up on. There's more to foreshadowing (which, yes, you're trying to do here – and it's not a trend so much as a literary device that's been around since the advent of literature) than just saying, "There's going to be a reason for it later." You have to drop hints and draw out your interactions. If you want us to think that there's a reason behind it, don't explain to us out of text that there's a reason behind it. Have them stop and discuss things. Have them emote. Have them do something that indicates that this isn't just a random act of kindness.

you just need to read and understand. You'll get it eventually.

Don't think that your readers are stupid. That's what really pisses me off, actually. You don't seem to accept an outsider's opinion if it's different from yours (and I know this because you've deleted your story on Fanfiction.net and reposted it with minor changes after Farla reviewed it... which I happen to know because I follow Farla's journal myself), and when someone points something out, you take up this defensive, "the reason hasn't been written yet" attitude. Foreshadowing does not work this way. You need to start dropping hints within the story that there are reasons, not simply assume the reader will think there are. Your readers are not you. They don't know what you're thinking or planning for the story. Hence, you need to be clear in your narrative.

I have used my semi-colons appropriately.

Not all the time, as I've taken the time to point out.

When things are closely-related, semi-colons are used.

Yes, this is the definition of semicolon usage, but many of your sentences weren't actually closely related.

Furthermore, in many of your sentences, you attempted to use them to splice a third independent clause to a sentence that's already a compound. This isn't proper usage because a sentence containing a semicolon is also a compound, and you can't string together multiple compounds before dropping a period. That's one of the many definitions of a run-on sentence.

This includes in descriptions, since it relates to the same thing,

You're thinking too broadly. For example, if you say something like this, it's incorrect:

Mary's hair was blonde; her eyes were blue.

The reason why is because although you're describing Mary, you're describing different parts of her. Hence, the phrases are actually not closely related because they're not going into detail about nearly the exact same thing.

However, you can say something like this:

The lion looked ferocious; his fangs were about the length of my arm.

The reason here is because you're describing the lion's ferocity both times. Specifically, the first clause explains that he looks ferocious, while the second time explains why the speaker thinks this way.

I read an entire book on the appropriate usage of grammar, and based on that book (which was rather popular, I do say, although I had a second edition),

I'd like to know which book you were reading for the sake of my own curiosity. I've read multiple books and guides myself, two of which I've offered in my last review. None of them say you can use them the way you've been using them (although they can sometimes be a bit vague).

"Kitten" is an adjective in this phrase.

I wasn't arguing that. In fact, I said it was an adjective. However, a comma doesn't go between every instance of two adjectives right next to each other. For example, you don't normally say something like this:

one, red truck

Instead, you say something like this:

one red truck

This is because the two adjectives aren't part of the same category. The first one is a numeric adjective, and the second one is for physical description. In the same manner, in your phrase, "small" is for physical description, whereas "kitten" describes its species and not its appearance. Hence, the comma is unnecessary because they're not the same kinds of adjectives.

This is a style. I've seen it used by many authors in this context.

Which authors? I've never seen it used this way. (Again, yes, I've read a lot. Books have been a big part of my life since I was little, and I've spent the past four years of a college education taking them apart, line by line.) =|

Look, if you're going to say, "I've read it done this way," you might as well actually name the books or where I can look them up myself, if only for my own curiosity. Otherwise, as I've said before, I've offered thorough explanation for why it's not done like that. It's grammatically incorrect.

Sure, it's been done, but you've only read 4% of the entire story.

Part of the problem with writing fanfiction online is that you need to keep your audience interested. Some kids are perfectly fine with cliché plots, but others aren't. You need to make it clear from the start that it's something new and different, or readers are going to wander away.

Moreover, I was going to read the rest of your story, but given your response to my (and, for that matter, Farla's) review, it's clear that you're not particularly open to anything that isn't by someone who's previously praised you.

I believe in chapter four, you learn why Shin has such a strong persona, even after a traumatizing event like losing your parents.

If it takes you until chapter four to explain why he seems unusually calm about his time in captivity instead of, you know, going River Tam on everything that moves, then you may want to rethink your characterization. As bobandbill and I have said earlier, good writing happens when the reader is given hints that allow them to figure things out as they go along. Mediocre writing happens when the reader is left in the dark because the author just wants to explain things later.

I don't find this sentence to be a run-on; it's a long sentence, yes, but it's not a run-on, because I used the appropriate punctuation and words to avoid it.

To quote this page (although Google can give you many more variations of the same concept):

A run-on sentence consists of two or more main clauses that are run together without proper punctuation.

To make it clearer, these are the main (independent) clauses in your sentence:

1. Escape had always been a thought that had crossed my mind.
2. I always ruled it out.
3. It would be impossible to swim the length of the sea without drowning.

(Note: For the third one, you need to remember that "for" is also a conjunction, so a comma and it between two independent clauses signals a compound sentence.)

Notice how punctuating all of these with a period would yield three separate independent clauses? That's how you know whether or not you're writing a run-on. Throwing all of these together in a single sentence causes you to have a run-on just by definition.

I believe Shin left the room at this point, and Alari did not follow him. I specify it's Alari because it's quite possible Shin himself might have been expecting another team mate.

You haven't mentioned anyone else in the story so far, so unless you mention that it's a completely different voice in a dialogue tag for that line, it will be assumed that it's Alari anyway.

The comma is intentional. I want readers to stop at that point and then continue with the sentence. I think you're not taking style into account.

*facepalm* You can't break the rules of the English language just because it's part of your style. The English language does not work that way.

Creative writing doesn't have to follow every grammatical rule - just the basic ones.

First off, comma rules are basic grammatical concepts. Second, if a writer (like James Joyce) chooses to defy the conventions of English grammar, they're consistent about it. They don't do it for a moment just so a single sentence would look better. There's also usually a deeper meaning behind their choices – a metaphor represented by the violation of a rule, for example, or a representation of a specific character's thought processes. However, either way, yes, they're consistent about it throughout a work, not doing it for a single point within their narrative.

Yes, I meant "capris"; the dictionary auto-corrected :s "Caprice" is an entirely different word.

This is why you should proofread during or after your writing process.

Again, a matter of style.

As a tip, if you want to be a published author, you'll probably not want to take this stance. You will not be published if you decide to defy the conventions of the English language just because you want to get a certain "feel."

"separates children from their parents" was meant to mean that she orphans children constantly.

Um, yes. I figured that much. =| Up until this point, the reader assumes that Shin was orphaned, so it's pretty clear that Lumina likes making orphans out of kids.

My point, if you notice after that bit, was that despite this, Shin seems to be the only one rebelling against the organization (assuming he's not exaggerating about their practices).

I was comparing to other 'fics; their chapters are sometimes three times as long, so I was just clarifying a reason.

Why are you comparing yourself to other people? This shouldn't matter at all. We don't have a standard length at all, and you should be concerned about refining your own work, not about what other people are doing with theirs.

I find that adding that to your "review" is a bit irrelevant.

Okay, first off, if you're wondering why I'm biting throughout this response, it's because of things like this. Putting the word "review" in quotes as if my review – which happened to take me several of the hours that I could have spent doing something more productive to write – wasn't actually a review. A review is not just a fluffy, positive thing, Yusshin, and if you can't deal with that, don't put your work on a public forum where anyone can read and respond to it, whether they like your work or not. Furthermore, a review is simply something that tells a writer the blunt and honest truth about what they thought concerning your writing. That's exactly what I did. Ergo, it is a review, no matter how negative it actually was.

Second, it's actually very relevant, considering how concerned you are with length. You feel the need to explain why your chapters are short (which they aren't, considering many writers tend to put up chapters roughly the same length or shorter than yours), and as you've said in VMs, word count is important to you. My comment was that it shouldn't matter either way.

As said, I haven't even reached the plot yet, so how could character development be drowning it out?

The plot happens from the very first word you put down on paper. (Exposition is just the beginning of the plot. In other words, it builds the foundation, but it's still part of the plot.) If you have any part of your story that isn't plot, then you're actually pretty much wasting words.

Not a fan of Meyer or Paolini.

As you shouldn't be. That was my point. They aren't particularly good writers, but they still got published. This is because they also happen to know how to market themselves, not because they're good writers. Bringing this up is a way of saying that although it (being a mediocre writer who gets published and receives attention) can be done, but it's very hard to pull off. This is why most people shouldn't risk it and make an effort to listen to feedback and consider how to improve themselves from there.

While I don't argue that a writer should assume that everything a reader says is the ineffable truth, it's not good etiquette to automatically say (as in, within a couple of days) that they're right or wrong or to outright refuse to listen to them because they impede upon your style. Everything a reviewer brings to the metaphorical table is a valid opinion that needs a bit of meditation. Politely say thank you and that you'll consider it, but only decide whether or not you'll take their advice if you've actually thought about it and tried as hard as you can to see how it works for you first. (Admittedly, this - the avoidance of denying a reviewer right off the bat - is something I've learned within the past few months, but it's a philosophy that's done wonders for me since then.) Do not say, "Oh, you're wrong, so I won't listen to you." This is, in fact, a good way to close yourself off from any method of improving, if that makes sense.

You seem to forget it's hidden, not only by extremely thick fog, but also it's located down the side of a really tall cliff.

If Alari and Shin can find it, so can a good patrol officer. Espion's not just a handful of people, yes? Then, there's most likely someone who patrols every inch of that island at some point or another (especially since Lumina seems rather paranoid, what with housing the organization in a well-fortified castle on a hard-to-reach isltand... and what with chasing after a single member to make sure he's dead). Not to mention Alari is the leader's sister. It'd be more surprising if she didn't have someone watching her at all times, especially since you've noted that Lumina's overprotective of her. No one bothered to follow her?

Another lack of "the". You don't have to be rude.

Sweetheart, you've only seen me biting, not trying to be rude. Moreover, I try to restrain myself in my reviews. What you saw there was me actually asking whether or not you actually decided to stop using Khail's name because you did that whole lack of an article thing so frequently that it seemed like you were trying to use his species name as his actual name.

It was determined in chapter one or two that they had been best friends for ten years and shared the same views on everything that her sister did. I believe a form of trust would form after ten years of close friendship (again, stated in chapter one or two).

Yet, she sends him out in a rowboat across the sea with only as many provisions as she could carry. She doesn't accompany him. She's a member of a band of corrupt thieves and murderers, and she's the leader's sister.

Come to think of it, if she did disagree with Lumina's tactics (and going along with something else I've said in my review - the part about how none of the other orphans seem to want to band together with Shin, considering they're all in the same boat), it comes off as strange that she didn't do anything apart from save a single prisoner. I mean, she's technically got some pull over the other band members, what with being the leader's sibling and all.

I can fix this, if it's a bother.

I wouldn't be bringing it up if it wasn't.

I prefer to write it this way. Technically it should be a comma, yes, and I can change it.

Again, you can't just violate the rules of the English language whenever you feel like it. This would be a lot like picking and choosing which of the most basic laws of your city you'd like to follow for no apparent reason other than it's your style to blow off some of them.

Here's what really puzzles me about your logic. You say that you're gifted in linguistics and that your strong suit is grammar. Why are you so apt to defy the laws of grammar if that's where most of your pride lies? (This goes especially if you're going to go and review someone else. Unless you're willing to actually obey all the rules of the English language, you can't actually go to someone else and correct their grammar because what if it's their style to keep doing all the errors you've pointed out to them? If you don't follow the rules for the sake of being grammatically correct, at least do so to avoid accusations of hypocrisy.)

Perhaps "prude" is slang here; where I come from, "prude" means an ignorant, slobbish individual. Just to point that out.

You may want to avoid using that word, then. Everywhere else, it's a term that describes either someone who's very prim and proper or someone who shies away from the concepts of sex. (So, saying someone is a prude either means they're uptight and formal or that they just have no desire to get any.) Therefore, your reader will probably come across that and raise an eyebrow or two.

As for books, they plunder things. You would assume after stealing from people all over, and the leader wanting to encourage her sister to read and write better, that they would steal books, too.

I wasn't actually questioning where they got the books, if you've noticed. =|

Fun fact: the story is fictional. I can do what I want with it. It's not meant to be historical (fanFICTION).

You do realize that the only reason why it's called "fiction" is because it's written work, right? (This is compatible with the term "fanart," which describes expressing one's love for a franchise or series through a visual – drawn – medium.) It has nothing to do with how much freedom an author has in their medium.

In other words, regardless of whether or not it's fiction, you still have to do your research in order to make your work easier for a reader to swallow. As I've said in my VMs, you really don't do anything to indicate that this is set in a medieval-themed world except give everyone swords and deprive them of plumbing and electricity. There's a lot more that goes into a medieval world that could help you to develop your plot and characters (which a lot of other medieval series take the time to acknowledge – Lord of the Rings, for example), but you choose not to touch them for some reason. Hence, my note that you're still limited by the reader's sense of disbelief.

Long story short, if you're going to make a story set with a theme borrowed from a historical period, you'd better be prepared to be consistent about it. Medieval-themed is still basing it on the medieval era, regardless of whether or not the timeline of that world's technology is the same as ours.

I did do my research, and in this case, the "East" refers to the eastern area of the kingdom. It becomes an area and not a direction,

When you say "to the (direction)," you are not referring to a specific area because this is a term that refers to the direction you're facing.

I'm taking it slow. So far, you're the only one who doesn't appreciate the pace of the story. It has nothing to do with "fillers" or "redundancy". It has to do with you expecting action 24/7. There are slow times in life; it's not always action-action-action. I'm sure you've had days where you just laze around the house.

I've given you my reasons for why I thought the way I did, and I've explained myself thoroughly with examples. Just because other people haven't really told you anything about the pacing (in specifics, I mean) doesn't mean that I'm wrong, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't insinuate that I am. (This includes in that one bit of advice on that other thread where you told a newbie author to blow off any advice he didn't think was correct.) A review gives you a different perspective on your writing. If you can't handle a different perspective, the proper answer isn't to tell the reviewer they're wrong in their thinking. It's to say you'll take it into consideration or, alternatively, to keep your work private to avoid negative feedback.

Sorry to say this, but have you read my reviewing guide (stickied in Writer's Lounge)? I mention in it that there's only one logical reason why a writer would post their work on a public forum, and that's to get feedback. A writing community, after all, is a place where writers can exchange ideas and where complete strangers can come in and look at someone else's work. If you didn't want that, why would you show complete strangers what you can do? Moreover, you can't control the opinions of your audience, as much as you try. If someone wants to say something and if their opinion doesn't match the fluffy notes everyone else leaves a story, then there's really nothing you can do about it so long as the story remains in existence on that public forum.

That being said, if most of your chapter is just going on about details – the outfit of a character, the history of a castle, the literacy of the rest of the organization – then it's not a good thing. I'm not saying that I want action 24/7. I'm saying that I want the characters to do something instead of sitting there while I watch the author go off on page-long tangents about the curtains. Going to interact with people isn't necessarily gunshots and explosions. It's establishing plot and characterization by having the characters act and show us the world themselves, rather than just tell us about bits of it in tangents.

Fictional story, again. I could say there were spaceships before cardboard boxes. Because it's fictional, it's fine. A bit strange, but fine. It's possibly the SPOON as WE know it wasn't invented, but perhaps a similar device is used.

1. The spoon has been around for centuries.
2. This has been shown in canon (in the episode I've mentioned).
3. If a similar device was in use, why weren't they using it?

So people don't ask how the Hell a lighthouse with no electricity works.

Considering the fact that Pokémon have been the sources of power for lighthouses in canon (Amphy in GSC/HGSS, Plusle and Minun in one of the anime's episodes, et cetera), this really shouldn't be an issue to a reader. Not to mention we wouldn't have noticed anyway if you didn't go off on a tangent.

Also, the Lighthouse of Alexandria. Lighthouses have been operating without electricity since before Jesus was around. It's not an issue that needs to be explained.

There's no meat in it anyway. Slices of vegetables aren't going to kill anyone, swallowed whole or not.

Um, actually, yes, there are instances where they can. It doesn't matter what the object is so long as it obscures the air passages. You can choke on a kernel of corn so long as it goes down the wrong tube. (Yes, this has happened.)

I'm not telling you the reason. It's part of the plot.

Again, foreshadowing does not work this way.

I'd like to remind you that it's my story;

Meanwhile, I'd like to remind you that I'm the critic. If you don't want negative feedback, don't give me the "IT'S MY STYLE" excuse. Do something to avoid getting negative feedback.

As long as there's a reasonable explanation for it, I can do whatever I want

So far, there hasn't been much of a reasonable explanation or even hints to one. This is why I've had such a problem with your story.

You seem to want a rushed plot.

No, I don't, and I never said I did. There's a difference between a rushed plot and a plot where people actually do something. There's a difference between exposition and going off on tangents to describe absolutely everything. This is not a slow plot, Yusshin. It's a story in which the actual beginnings of the plot are submerged under tangents. Again, if most of your story so far has been about the history of a castle and the literacy of an organization instead of what Shin's doing (how he interacts with other members of the organization to establish how badly they're mistreating him, for example, and what he and Alari are doing to plan out his escape), then that's not a good thing. Focus on the characters, not on the little details around them.

Bobandbill really put it better than I can when he brought up that bit about "follow me."

You question a lot of things as if it's bad not to know at the beginning.

It is if you don't drop hints and have your characters do anything. Even just a conversation with someone other than Lumina and Alari would be something, and it'd show us what Espion is like from Shin's point of view without actually having to resort to a paragraph that just tells us they're burning books. (It's basically a lengthier version of the "show instead of tell" principle that a lot of creative writing courses will try to tell you.)

Shin doesn't even know yet - why would I tell you if Shin doesn't even know? That would be awkward.

Strangely, this is exactly what I thought of that entire scene where the old couple find Shin. You seem to have no problem with breaking away from something Shin wouldn't be able to know then, but you object to having Shin take a closer look at the people around him and pick up on things that he would have every opportunity to observe. For example, he's a smart kid. He knows what Espion's done, and he knows the old couple saw his uniform. Why doesn't he ask questions? Why doesn't he look at the way they look at him? Why doesn't he explore the cottage for any tiny details about what might be going on? Even if you don't tell us outright, you can easily drop hints that there's something else going on and have Shin pick up on them if Shin just took more interest in trying to find out (instead of being a flat character who just accepts everything that comes to him).

You need patience;

And you need to stop assuming that a review that you receive can be completely wrong.

As a note, I could easily accept being incorrect if you, for example, left hints within the story that I completely missed or made it absolutely clear that you're not just describing things for the sake of describing them, but as far as I can tell, neither happened.

because I'm trying to slow it down and add more conversation and chatter between characters.

You should have done this from the beginning to show us Shin's world instead of telling us about the way things are. World building through character interactions is still exposition, and it can make your point clearer than infodumping for a half a page.

The way I see it, you're like a FPS player reviewing an RPG. You know the basics about the game console (grammar), but the style is very different from what you like (FPS vs RPG).

*motions to the very beginning of her response* This isn't about a difference in style. It's about what I thought was weak with yours as someone who normally analyzes literature on a daily basis.

That being said, Yusshin, I'm going to make this very clear. A reviewer in a writing community isn't here to support you 100%. They're here to be honest. It's author's etiquette to take it politely, not go around and say that you won't listen because it's incorrect. You will not improve as a writer that way, and you certainly won't be published by a respectable publishing house. (Not to mention you'll be more likely to chase people away because you come off as if you're not willing to listen to everyone.) If you can't handle constructive criticism of any sort, even if the other people in your thread haven't given you much in the way of it, then a writing community isn't for you.

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
2/3 Chapter Six; Requesting Close

Project has been abandoned; this fanfiction was just for testing purposes anyway :s Although I was planning to complete it, I've found a new idea that I want to work on. Requesting close.

Oh, and here's 2/3 of Chapter Six, just in case anyone wants to reap ideas or w/e:

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back