Games Showcase This forum is for non-ROM hacked games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #51    
Old August 8th, 2009 (1:07 PM).
Blazers's Avatar
Blazers Blazers is offline
  • Silver Tier
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Home
Age: 23
Posts: 954
If this is 600 years ago...your gonna keep the pokemon of today?

Relevant Advertising!

  #52    
Old August 8th, 2009 (1:10 PM).
EJames2100's Avatar
EJames2100 EJames2100 is offline
Pokémon Hall Of Fame Supporter
     
    Join Date: Apr 2008
    Location: Merry Old England
    Age: 26
    Gender:
    Nature: Naughty
    Posts: 342
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blazers View Post
    If this is 600 years ago...your gonna keep the pokemon of today?
    Why not ?
    Pokémon wouldn't be changed would they ? Well besides evolving lol
    __________________
      #53    
    Old August 8th, 2009 (1:24 PM).
    lx_theo's Avatar
    lx_theo lx_theo is offline
    Game Developer
       
      Join Date: Jun 2009
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Careful
      Posts: 969
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by EJames2100 View Post
      Why not ?
      Pokémon wouldn't be changed would they ? Well besides evolving lol

      If Aerodactyl and them were prehistoric Pokemon, why shouldn't they?
        #54    
      Old August 8th, 2009 (1:45 PM).
      Blazers's Avatar
      Blazers Blazers is offline
      • Silver Tier
       
      Join Date: Jan 2008
      Location: Home
      Age: 23
      Posts: 954
      Prehistoric brought back by fossil.
      Maybe he can have you encounter omystars and kabutos and stuff
        #55    
      Old August 8th, 2009 (1:47 PM).
      EJames2100's Avatar
      EJames2100 EJames2100 is offline
      Pokémon Hall Of Fame Supporter
         
        Join Date: Apr 2008
        Location: Merry Old England
        Age: 26
        Gender:
        Nature: Naughty
        Posts: 342
        Depends how the Pokémon world sees as Prehistoric lol

        But a good point actually, would we be seeing more new ancient Pokémon ?
        __________________
          #56    
        Old August 8th, 2009 (1:50 PM).
        lx_theo's Avatar
        lx_theo lx_theo is offline
        Game Developer
           
          Join Date: Jun 2009
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Careful
          Posts: 969
          Well nothing new, the first post say no Fakemon
            #57    
          Old August 8th, 2009 (3:32 PM).
          Atomic Reactor's Avatar
          Atomic Reactor Atomic Reactor is offline
          @atomicreactor
          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: Jul 2007
          Age: 24
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 1,967
          i knew i should have clarified. lol.
          I meant at the beggining that they wouldnt mesh well with your current tiles, and at the end i meant just stick with one of their styles.
          get it now???

          And for the pokiemon, why not edit them so they look like earlier versions of them. Like make a darker orange charizard, with a middle horn thing.
          And put like 2 smaller trees on venasuar? just minor edits liek that would be neat.
          __________________
            #58    
          Old August 8th, 2009 (5:41 PM).
          InMooseWeTrust's Avatar
          InMooseWeTrust InMooseWeTrust is offline
          Jack of All Trades
             
            Join Date: Jul 2007
            Location: Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA
            Age: 25
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Careful
            Posts: 814
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Blazers View Post
            Where there's a fight, there's a moose.
            Moose you seem to make the biggest things out of nothing, all the time.
            You like to start fights i noticed, as well as other people.
            Tell me again, why is the game posted on the site?
            "oh blazers i don't know, so people can look at it?" Wrong
            Some people will like it, some people wont.
            But most importantly you have to see that people are trying to help you.
            I don't know if you are sure of the meaning of, Critiscm.
            But look it up some time.


            As for this game.
            I also do not like the default style of the tiles.
            But since you already did begin the game this way, considering how far into it you are, it would take a lot of time to re-do it.
            So if your that far, keep it.
            So no poke balls? Will there be a craftsmaker like Kurt that will turn them into poke balls for you, or will you do it yourself?
            The Kurt thing is in the works. That's all I will say for now.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Atomic Reactor View Post
            The ranger and mystery dungeon tiles won't go very well with this game. Neither will the actual sprites. I highly suggest that you get some different tiles. (and no, i dont mean kyledoves, i agree that their overused) Perhaps try and look for some different games that have a rustic, yet easy to imitate style. That way you don;t use the default tile, but their still different. Maybe start ripping from mystery dungeon and ranger?
            We wouldn't just slap on tiles from other games. We would tweak them to match the visual style.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Blazers View Post
            If this is 600 years ago...your gonna keep the pokemon of today?
            Yeah, not much has changed in 600 years. Remember, this is 600, not 6,000,000.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Blazers View Post
            Prehistoric brought back by fossil.
            Maybe he can have you encounter omystars and kabutos and stuff
            Fossil resurrection technology has not been invented yet, so no fossil Pokémon.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Atomic Reactor View Post
            i knew i should have clarified. lol.
            I meant at the beggining that they wouldnt mesh well with your current tiles, and at the end i meant just stick with one of their styles.
            get it now???

            And for the pokiemon, why not edit them so they look like earlier versions of them. Like make a darker orange charizard, with a middle horn thing.
            And put like 2 smaller trees on venasuar? just minor edits liek that would be neat.
            Earlier versions? We've considered it, but the Pokémon won't look that much different because 600 years isn't that far back in the evolutionary line.
            __________________
            Pokémon: Battles of the Past
            Site Thread
            Black2 FC: 5072 6059 9635
              #59    
            Old August 9th, 2009 (2:54 PM).
            pkmn.master's Avatar
            pkmn.master pkmn.master is offline
            Hobbyist Game Developer
               
              Join Date: Apr 2008
              Location: USA
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Brave
              Posts: 285
              Posted originally by InMooseWeTrust

              *sigh*...
              1. Because this game takes place so far back in time, we're trying to create the feel of a classical RPG while still retaining the qualities of a Pokémon game. I think fangame developers are too fixated on the graphics of the Version games to try different aesthetic and gameplay styles. Pokémon Ranger and Mystery Dungeon games turned the ideas of traditional Pokémon games on their heads. Is that a bad thing? Of course not! I actually had more fun with the Ranger and Mystery Dungeon games than I did with the Version games, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. There's no doubt that we're going to attract a different audience than most of the other fangames in this forum.
              2. Two different graphics styles? That would be a colossal waste of labor and time. We're only two people (the staff will continue to stay relatively small into the future) and the game is pretty small in scope, so we don't want to create too much work for ourselves.
              3. Why Kyledove tileset? The vast majority of game developers in this forum think that's the only acceptable visual style that can ever be used in a Pokémon game.


              Calm down,I'm just sharing my opinion.Kyledove dose, in fact ,have a tile set focusing on ancient towns.Making two versions wouldn't be that hard,you just have to switch the tile set in the second version and proceed to map touch-up.Also,retaining the feel of a Pokemon game isn't easy to do when the graphics belong to the Final Fantasy style.

              Don't worry.I'm not bashing you're game.I do respect it.Some people might actually like it.Just please make sure you finish the project.Most projects are completely left behind only to make fans angry.
                #60    
              Old August 9th, 2009 (5:01 PM). Edited August 9th, 2009 by InMooseWeTrust.
              InMooseWeTrust's Avatar
              InMooseWeTrust InMooseWeTrust is offline
              Jack of All Trades
                 
                Join Date: Jul 2007
                Location: Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA
                Age: 25
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Careful
                Posts: 814
                Yeah, I was part of a game where that happened very recently. This is why I would like to stay with the project until completion. It doesn't try to be all-inclusive (one region plus a few locations from neighboring Johto and Holon with 200 Pokémon isn't that big of a project), so I can promise you it will be finished. It will probably take about 2-3 years. We will not let it go longer than that. In the meantime, there will be constant updates and demos released every couple months so you will always be in the know.

                Anyway, enough about the graphics. No matter what, we're keeping this style with minor tweaks and more custom and ripped tiles modified to fit the style. That is final and I don't want any more suggestions or arguments about it.
                __________________
                Pokémon: Battles of the Past
                Site Thread
                Black2 FC: 5072 6059 9635
                  #61    
                Old August 10th, 2009 (4:08 AM).
                pkmn.master's Avatar
                pkmn.master pkmn.master is offline
                Hobbyist Game Developer
                   
                  Join Date: Apr 2008
                  Location: USA
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Brave
                  Posts: 285
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by InMooseWeTrust View Post
                  Yeah, I was part of a game where that happened very recently. This is why I would like to stay with the project until completion. It doesn't try to be all-inclusive (one region plus a few locations from neighboring Johto and Holon with 200 Pokémon isn't that big of a project), so I can promise you it will be finished. It will probably take about 2-3 years. We will not let it go longer than that. In the meantime, there will be constant updates and demos released every couple months so you will always be in the know.

                  Anyway, enough about the graphics. No matter what, we're keeping this style with minor tweaks and more custom and ripped tiles modified to fit the style. That is final and I don't want any more suggestions or arguments about it.
                  Understood.I also am working on a project with just me and my cousin,so I know how troublesome it can be to finally release the project.Mine has been going on for about three years now.The first year was terrible.Making several maps then,all of a sudden,my PC crashed and we lost every bit of it.But we restarted the project and the maps look even better than before.Now the story line and making trainers is all that's left.For our first project,I hope it works out.Good luck with your game.
                    #62    
                  Old August 10th, 2009 (9:38 AM).
                  Trikeboy's Avatar
                  Trikeboy Trikeboy is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Mar 2009
                    Gender:
                    Posts: 102
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by pkmn.master View Post
                    Understood.I also am working on a project with just me and my cousin,so I know how troublesome it can be to finally release the project.Mine has been going on for about three years now.The first year was terrible.Making several maps then,all of a sudden,my PC crashed and we lost every bit of it.But we restarted the project and the maps look even better than before.Now the story line and making trainers is all that's left.For our first project,I hope it works out.Good luck with your game.
                    That sux about losing your work but always look for the silver lining. I am making regular backups every weekend and after any substantial improvement ie my recent Poképad update. Making trainers are probably the most boring thing about creating a Pokémon game. It took me a few of days to put the small number of trainers that you encounter. I wanted to have more in indigo town but I was losing the will to live so left them out.
                    __________________
                    I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
                      #63    
                    Old August 14th, 2009 (3:15 PM).
                    xSeduction's Avatar
                    xSeduction xSeduction is offline
                    Water Pokemon Fanatic
                       
                      Join Date: Oct 2008
                      Location: Kanto
                      Age: 23
                      Gender: Female
                      Nature: Sassy
                      Posts: 107
                      I loveee this game, and I think the graphics are very original and quite amazing contrary to popular belief. Not every Pokemon game has to have the same graphics.
                      Also, I had a bit of deja vu when seeing your whole wild pokemon idea. Years ago, I'd thought "It would be so much easier if you could actually see the pokemon in the wild." Kudos for that.

                      However, I did get a scripting error that shut down the game when speaking to a trainer in the Viridian Forest. I can't remember which one, though. :\
                      __________________
                      HeartGold Team:



                      Kudos to my bestie Paige for making me this siggy.<3 ilabyou.
                        #64    
                      Old August 16th, 2009 (1:25 AM). Edited August 16th, 2009 by Wings Don't Cry.
                      Wings Don't Cry's Avatar
                      Wings Don't Cry Wings Don't Cry is offline
                      Maybe she's born with it
                      • Silver Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Sep 2008
                      Location: New Zealand
                      Age: 23
                      Nature: Naive
                      Posts: 1,942
                      I gotta say the graphics look really similar to Aveyond 2. Even the victory music is the same and the way you encounter enemies.
                      __________________

                      3DS Friend Code: 1435 - 7175 - 2893
                        #65    
                      Old August 17th, 2009 (5:45 PM).
                      InMooseWeTrust's Avatar
                      InMooseWeTrust InMooseWeTrust is offline
                      Jack of All Trades
                         
                        Join Date: Jul 2007
                        Location: Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA
                        Age: 25
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Careful
                        Posts: 814
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by xSeduction View Post
                        I loveee this game, and I think the graphics are very original and quite amazing contrary to popular belief. Not every Pokemon game has to have the same graphics.
                        Also, I had a bit of deja vu when seeing your whole wild pokemon idea. Years ago, I'd thought "It would be so much easier if you could actually see the pokemon in the wild." Kudos for that.

                        However, I did get a scripting error that shut down the game when speaking to a trainer in the Viridian Forest. I can't remember which one, though. :\
                        Several people have reported that error. I'm not sure if Trikeboy has fixed it or not, but I will look into it when I have some free time.

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by rikudaman View Post
                        I gotta say the graphics look really similar to Aveyond 2. Even the victory music is the same and the way you encounter enemies.
                        I think that's because we're still using mostly RMXP default content. It'll change, don't worry.
                        __________________
                        Pokémon: Battles of the Past
                        Site Thread
                        Black2 FC: 5072 6059 9635
                          #66    
                        Old August 21st, 2009 (12:56 AM).
                        Trikeboy's Avatar
                        Trikeboy Trikeboy is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Mar 2009
                          Gender:
                          Posts: 102
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by xSeduction View Post
                          However, I did get a scripting error that shut down the game when speaking to a trainer in the Viridian Forest. I can't remember which one, though. :\
                          I have checked through Viridian Forest and cant find the error. Are you using version 1.2? There was an error in a trainer code that I fixed for that version.
                          __________________
                          I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
                            #67    
                          Old August 27th, 2009 (3:50 PM).
                          Pika Storm's Avatar
                          Pika Storm Pika Storm is offline
                          learning to script
                             
                            Join Date: Oct 2008
                            Location: America, land of the Brave
                            Nature: Hardy
                            Posts: 250
                            this game looks awsome \m/

                            I for one think that the tileset looks great

                            keep up the good work
                            __________________
                            i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
                              #68    
                            Old September 28th, 2009 (2:19 PM).
                            1ninjadude1701's Avatar
                            1ninjadude1701 1ninjadude1701 is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Oct 2008
                              Age: 20
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Quiet
                              Posts: 202
                              where do you get the ow sprites?
                                #69    
                              Old May 31st, 2010 (4:25 AM).
                              hack1's Avatar
                              hack1 hack1 is offline
                              Dragon Green
                                 
                                Join Date: Jun 2009
                                Gender: Male
                                Posts: 141
                                Download link for newest version doesn't work.
                                __________________
                                This signature has been disabled.
                                No spoilers allowed in signature.
                                Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

                                You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

                                Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
                                  #70    
                                Old May 31st, 2010 (11:27 AM).
                                Avatar's Avatar
                                Avatar Avatar is offline
                                Savant
                                • Silver Tier
                                 
                                Join Date: Sep 2003
                                Location: Denmark
                                Age: 28
                                Gender: Male
                                Posts: 2,417
                                Maybe it's because, oh I don't know, the thread is ALMOST A YEAR OLD?
                                Closed Thread
                                Quick Reply

                                Sponsored Links
                                Thread Tools

                                Posting Rules
                                You may not post new threads
                                You may not post replies
                                You may not post attachments
                                You may not edit your posts

                                BB code is On
                                Smilies are On
                                [IMG] code is On
                                HTML code is Off

                                Forum Jump


                                All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:17 AM.