• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What about fangames annoys you most? [Aspiring developers look here!]

What is the worst thing(s) about Pokemon fangames?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 28, 2014
grammar and spelling. for the love of all that is in english and is comprehensible, please check your grammar and spelling, dialogue writers. its quite ridiculous to come across a game that is half lolspeek, half 2nd grade level grammar and spelling, and has random pointless vulgarity in it for the sake of vulgarity.

also, i actually dont mind there being fakemon in a game, but if you cant sprite, but you for some reason think you're God's gift to pixels, then i have a problem with it. if you cant sprite, and want to do it yourself for your game, then learn to do it. if you cant sprite and want sprites in your game, but cant seem to get your spriting up to a level that youre satisfied with [admittedly, this would be me], you can always ask for help from someone who CAN sprite, and hope you find someone willing to help. but please be sure that THEY suck at spriting less than you, if you wanna go that road haha

also, pipedreams annoy me. okay, you want to make a game. but if youre working on it with no experience in scripting, spriting, or even story writing, and no team members with any of that experience to help you out, how do you plan on including "OVAR 756 POKEYMANZ [including Fakemon of course] 8D!!!", having a nice custom menu, and all these other random features [either god-awful, ridiculous, or pointless features in many cases] your imaginative little mind has come up with? start where you know you can reach and work up from there. i havent made any system related promises to myself about my project for one reason: i. cant. script. ive stuck to what i KNOW i can do, and ill work my way farther once i get an actually competent and functioning team together. until then, im not gonna plan to have like 7 regions, 700 pokemon [per region lol], 9 different journeys to choose from, and custom fully composed music for every single town area and route, because i know id simply be kidding myself to try and do that. be realistic, game makers. know your limits and respect them

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I agree with everything on the poll, espcecilay fakemon. The look far too much like digimon and usually replace some great pokemon.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I agree with everything on the poll, espcecilay fakemon. The look far too much like digimon and usually replace some great pokemon.
Half the fifth generation Pokémon look like Digimon. The legendaries have even been said to break the Yu-Gi-Oh! barrier. I don't think that's a valid argument any more.

It is, however, a valid complaint about the fifth gen.

Diablo361

Trainer of the Dawn
Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2018
Half the fifth generation Pokémon look like Digimon. The legendaries have even been said to break the Yu-Gi-Oh! barrier. I don't think that's a valid argument any more.

It is, however, a valid complaint about the fifth gen.

d183fb29d0756f94024ebc0184e01f36.png

Are you seriously going to bring in that argument?

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
[image]

Are you seriously going to bring in that argument?

Wow, no thats not it. Its tat they're drawn in the same way there. Anything morphed some to look more like the other is going to look more like the other type. you can especially with Charizard. Look at it, its the drawing style that creates the greatest similarity you're trying to point out.

Though they are all creatures, and your point is still reasonable though the severity put forth by your drawing is overdone by a bit. That or I misunderstood what you're trying to say...

Diablo361

Trainer of the Dawn
Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2018
Wow, no thats not it. Its tat they're drawn in the same way there. Anything morphed some to look more like the other is going to look more like the other type. you can especially with Charizard. Look at it, its the drawing style that creates the greatest similarity you're trying to point out.

Though they are all creatures, and your point is still reasonable though the severity put forth by your drawing is overdone by a bit.

...Wait, what?

Are you saying the new Pokemon look like Yugioh monster's are they do not?

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
...Wait, what?

Are you saying the new Pokemon look like Yugioh monster's are they do not?

Actually, now I'm a bit confused about what you were trying to say.

I'm saying that they have significant design differences, but like anything of creatures for the genre, you are going to find them similar to some extent, and the drawing does up that because of them being gin the same drawing style.

Diablo361

Trainer of the Dawn
Years
  • Seen Nov 27, 2018
Actually, now I'm a bit confused about what you were trying to say.

I'm saying that they have significant design differences, but like anything of creatures for the genre, you are going to find them similar to some extent, and the drawing does up that because of them being gin the same drawing style.

I'm saying that though the artist is the same, you can see the obvious differences between the Pokemon and Yugioh mons.

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
Years
I hate it when a game has bad fakemon. It just ruins the whole game.

Also, I would say I hate the incompletetion of a game, but get real everyone - it's already hard to make a game from scratch (or essentials), let alone finish it!

Years
  • Seen May 3, 2017
Grammar and spelling errors. Nothing jars you out of the game experience quite like improper verb usage. ("Hey, you arent allow to be hear!")

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
I won't play a game if it

-Has a horrible plot
-Has no fakemon
-Has bad grammar and spelling

roxaspwner

Pokemon Orange Isles Leader
Years
  • Seen Dec 15, 2016
If the game never finishes

I dislike games that have a lot of grammatical and spelling errors, especially since those should be fixed in bug testing. I like games with fakemon, it makes it more appealing, however, they should be...decently designed at the least.

Gardenia101

Official Lurker
Years
I voted for a few, but this is the one that annoys me most.
They never get finished
I've seen games that look really cool, and I can't wait for the even the next demo to come out, and......
It never comes.
1 Year Later:
Still not here.
Also, misspellings are just stupid. I mean, if you spell "Piplup", "Piplip", or "Pokeball" "Pokebal", or something similar, that just screams "Lazy".[/rant]

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
i hate when they get you exited about a great game then it never gets finished

Livinitup17

Pokemon Dealer
Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2012
No original content they usually do the same thing over and over even some copy the whole story of pokemon and add new characters they dont even change the name -___-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back