• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kinect: Your Opinion!

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023

That's why you use the strap?

Because running around and flailing your arms around won't result in anyone hitting their TV...

I'm pretty sure most people aren't idiotic enough to stay that close to their T.V.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Apr 8, 2012
Because of that though, everyone has to share with only one camera. Natal can't remember voices so anyone can just troll you by saying "Xbox-STOP" when you're watching a movie. It seems that Microsoft is mimicking Apple with their war on buttons.

That would actually be kinda funny (unless you're the person being trolled).

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
Years
i dont really care about it as i dont have a 360, but from what i have seen, it looks pretty dumb. Though i wish my friend would get it so we could dance retardedly to dance masters like those dudes from konami! XD
katamari sounds cool, though i think i would prefer the controller.

Numbers

Say my name
Years
I'm surprised no-one has brought up "Eyetoy" for the PS2 as "Kinect" to me is more like this than the Wii (Although, Kinect Sports... REALLY? :\ If you're going to rip-off the Wii at least make the name original haha) I think that it will just be an upgraded version of the Eyetoy. Don't think I'm going to buy it but if any of my friends do then sure, I'll have a go just to say I've tried it.

A Pixy

Cruel?
Years
I'm surprised no-one has brought up "Eyetoy" for the PS2 as "Kinect" to me is more like this than the Wii (Although, Kinect Sports... REALLY? :\ If you're going to rip-off the Wii at least make the name original haha) I think that it will just be an upgraded version of the Eyetoy. Don't think I'm going to buy it but if any of my friends do then sure, I'll have a go just to say I've tried it.

There were, like, two games that used the eyetoy and that was a generation ago.

As for the Kinect, judging it by Microsoft's press conference, having little to no control and doing with my hands what I can already do with an analog stick isn't very appealing. You can't use that for gaming as far as I see. IMO, Motion control needs to add to the already established game controller. It helps enhance the immersion and things like that. When that's all you have, and considering it's so young and so flawed (Forza: No acceleration or deceleration. Star Wars: Flail arms, dash, rinse, repeat.) it can't appeal to anyone, especially not their CORE DEMOGRAPHIC. Think about it, Nintendo was making the Wii to go with a new strategy to make money. Their Blue Water strategy is paying off and the hardcore fans, while upset at the beginning, just look at their last couple E3 conferences, are now happy. New Donkey Kong Country, new Kirby, new Metroid, their happy. The Kinect can't do that. No matter how hard it tries, it has one market and although that might pay off for a while, ignoring your core demographic I find to be disgusting. Microsoft is making the mistake that Nintendo made. Appeal to the casual market and only the casual market and throw your core demographic a Halo shaped bone every now and again. Nintendo learned from that mistake and, to remedy this, have made bridge games. Games that make both parties happy (Mario Kart Wii and NSMB Wii are both perfect examples). Microsoft probably isn't going to do that, IMO.

To sum it up: READ THIS.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 15, 2016
Eh. I'd rather just play my wii to be honest. I mean, I'd rather have some kind of control-input-method type thing in my hand. As people have said, this just won't work for the Xbox's 2 genres: FPS's and Racers. I mean I see how you could steer, but there would be no way to accelerate, brake or really any other function.
The only game that interests me that uses this is Fable III. Though that's probably just a little gimmicky mini-game.
Ironic how Sony & Microsoft bashed Nintendo's motion controls only to jump straight on the bandwagon when the wii's popularity skyrocketed. It wouldn't surprise me if at the next E3 they announced the PSP & Xbox touch, seeing as the DS is (literally) the best selling console in history.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
Years
Not particularly impressed. Sony did roughly the same thing with the Eyetoy years ago.

Years
Well the proper games will still come out with a controller to use so I don't mind.

The problem with wii is they made everything else too low tech to create a good game without using controls now sony & microsoft can have a mixture.

I'm sure this will end it all pretty soon anyway and we'll all be back to normal games.

May or may not buy Kinect, not too important.

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 31, 2011
I'm dubious. I think that completely button-free games can wait until consumer-level technology can accurately detect a wide, and I mean wide, range of motions of varying complexity. In other words, until we can achieve a level of control on-par with the Wii Remote without a controller, maybe we shouldn't bother with products like this.

Back