• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pixel Art Contest Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years

Pixel Art Contest Discussion Thread

It's simple. Here you can chat about the current contest, what you'd like to see in future contests, ask questions and get clarification, and anything else to do with the Pixel Art contests.

Also, even though we're not in the Pixel Art forum here, it's still a good idea to familiarize yourself with the [url-inline="forumdisplay.php?t=221331"]Pixel Art Rules[/url-inline] if you haven't already.

Go on how, get discussin'!

redsaber5859

Banned
Years
View attachment 55358
chikorita.png

Chikorita~
100% Scratch
I couldn't get it to become tansparent :'(

That's WAY better than my pikachu XD

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Redsaber5859, I moved your post on into the Pixel Art Contest Discussion Thread as from now on this is where discussion on the contest shall go as well as Q/A, just for future referance keep in mind it's here, thanks guys.

Years
Poke_a_Dialga!, what program did you use? Lots of image editing programs, some free ones at that, can handle transparency, but MS Paint, for instance, can't.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Cali
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Poke_a_Dialga!, what program did you use? Lots of image editing programs, some free ones at that, can handle transparency, but MS Paint, for instance, can't.

Well pokeadialga could always use iaza, since I find using other pixel art programs besides paint can be have sometimes a difficult learning curve.

http://www.iaza.com/

There is a transparent button right on the top rigt hand corner just click the backround color and it will become transparent.

NovaStar

Team Malachite Spriter
Years
Yeah, I use iaza for pretty much all of my sprites. I would use another program for transparency, but MS paint seems more comfortable to me. Also, iaza can be used to make gifs (much like my avatar), provided that you have the different frames for the sprite's animation.

Well on another note, good luck to everyone else participating and for people thinking about joining, please do.

Poke_a_Dialga!

EXAMS TESTS AND EXAMS QAQ
Years
I use the very original, very old style paint :D
Well pokeadialga could always use iaza, since I find using other pixel art programs besides paint can be have sometimes a difficult learning curve.

http://www.iaza.com/

There is a transparent button right on the top rigt hand corner just click the backround color and it will become transparent.
Thanks a lot
I pray for you~

Years
I'd love it if it was per a week. y__y

Previous post: please do. we need more entries and competition. It's a monthly contest btw, so the deadline is August 1st.

Last edited:
Years
I guess. some come often but our pixel art community is growing. i think.
But still I don't think it would take a month to sprite something unless it was supposedly something grand.

Nicolas

O c t o j a R e j s t r o m
Years
I guess. some come often but our pixel art community is growing. i think.
But still I don't think it would take a month to sprite something unless it was supposedly something grand.

there should be emblems awarded too to attract more artists

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
Man, I miss the heck out of the monthly ones when they don't run for long periods of time. I'd love to have them occur more frequently, even though I'm certainly just glad they're occurring at all. PC's pixel art contests are the only art contests I enter, and usually the only reason aside from deviantART icons that I even do pixel art these days. I kind of need them as an excuse to do it almost, otherwise I'm too lazy X3

It'd be neat to have them be maybe a week or two instead, 'cause say if a person was interested in trying one out but maybe wasn't too keen on the theme or that month's choice of restrictions, they wouldn't have to wait a whole month for the next one or a whole darn year.

I'm also glad to see that emblem awarding is on the way 'cause it's about darn time artists can win them for something other than G&P or profile design. Not every artist's talents cover those areas so it's a nice start to have pixel artists get recognized, too. I'm very glad to see more life around here as well.

On a side note I'm probably not entering this month myself just 'cause I'm busy with school and cannot for the life of me decide on a Pokemon to pixel X3

Last edited:

Nicolas

O c t o j a R e j s t r o m
Years
And there will be! eventually. There's, like, bureaucracy 'n stuff.

yay! more prizes

So, would weekly contests get more people interested?

can be, but there are pros like; having more pixel arts submitted every week and will train more aspiring pixel artists.

And the cons like; too much time pressure, should have ideas ready by a week or so and the stress :\

Years
And the cons like; too much time pressure, should have ideas ready by a week or so and the stress :\

A week can't give you that much pressure,as long as you think of ideas frequently or daily and work on your sprites frequently and daily.
And no laziness. it's like homework.

Scarf said:
So, would weekly contests get more people interested?
I'm sure the pixel art community will be more interested and active if we had weekly contests. I think they'd be quite bored if they finished their sprite for the contest then they'll have to wait atleast 2 weeks for another contest. :/

Poke_a_Dialga!

EXAMS TESTS AND EXAMS QAQ
Years
A week can't give you that much pressure,as long as you think of ideas frequently or daily and work on your sprites frequently and daily.
And no laziness. it's like homework.
I'm sure the pixel art community will be more interested and active if we had weekly contests. I think they'd be quite bored if they finished their sprite for the contest then they'll have to wait atleast 2 weeks for another contest. :/
BUMPED IN.
If it is held weekly, I guess it could really be more fun and it also makes me more active 'cos I'm actually very lazy when it comes to spriting. :P
Oh yes, where did you get that Red signatyre? :3

Years
Okay, you convinced me. Actually, I just needed some time on the weekend to get it all written up, but WE HAVE WEEKLY CONTESTS NOW. Go check it out and let me know if anything about the format or rules seems confusing/bad/wrong/stupid/etc.

Years
I don't know about this month's challenge. :/
Not many spriters in our community are regular pixel artists,they're mostly Pokémon spriters. I hope there will be entries though.i hate to win by default.

Years
I've always wanted to do a mockup that hasn't got any restrictions. I plan on doing Super Princess Peach GBA. Also, I'm planning on changing my entry for this week's competition.

Edit: Millenium post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back