Progressing ROM Hacks This forum is for ROM hacks which are currently in production, but not yet finished. Come and find a ROM hack that's starting out, or post your own for others to see! For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old August 20th, 2010 (5:38 PM).
Hey, look, I was gone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Laynerulez View Post
    Omg thanks..I have been waiting for this hack forever
    I know it's not really necessary, but I have to. You joined in this month and this is your first post. I really doubt you've waited for this hack "forever" as this hack did not exist before July of this year.

And to be on-topic- I love what you did with the game! Route 1 is so much better. XD

Relevant Advertising!

Old August 20th, 2010 (6:02 PM).
    Needs NO VMs...

Nature: Naive
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Heart's Soul View Post
      I know it's not really necessary, but I have to. You joined in this month and this is your first post. I really doubt you've waited for this hack "forever" as this hack did not exist before July of this year.

And to be on-topic- I love what you did with the game! Route 1 is so much better. XD
      Actually this hack has been going for a while under different names, Shadow Amethyst, Saga adventure, and now DarkViolet.
      Old August 20th, 2010 (6:05 PM). Edited August 20th, 2010 by Chaos Rush.

Quote:
        Actually, this hack has been around since January (but I've been working on it since December)... and I came up with the concept of Pokemon Saga in October 09...

Who knows, Laynerulez could have been a lurker, and therefore he could have actually waited, heck, I was a lurker of PC, and the only reason why I first joined was just to play ShinyGold.

Once I make decent progress with DarkViolet, I'll start working on Jade, and then hopefully this whole "Pokemon Saga" thing will finally make sense.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by altariaking View Post

Actually this hack has been going for a while under different names, Shadow Amethyst, Saga adventure, and now DarkViolet.
        You are correct! It's all the same thing: Try and create the perfect Kanto-based game. Originally it was ShadowAmethyst because Mewtwo is purple and I thought it sounded cool, but then I thought I would call it Adventure, and name the other one Chronicles, while Platinum would become Chronicles 2 and HeartGold would become Adventure 2. Then I decided you have to have some kind of "version" title, so I just thought of the color purple, which became DarkViolet, and then Chronicles has been renamed to Jade.
        Old August 20th, 2010 (7:00 PM).
        Team Plasma Leader

Great Hack!

Wish someone would make a remake of these games using a DS game base.
          That would be awesome! Anyway hope you get this game finished soon~

IGN: Dusk
          My Shop For Trading:http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=232598
          Always use this FC:3696 5584 0490
          Pokemon Chat Site: http://pokemonfannetwork.tk/
          Old August 21st, 2010 (2:40 AM).
          /)^3^(\
          • Silver Tier

Nature: Relaxed
          I got finished playing the beta yesterday. Why doesn't Charmander learn Metal Claw anymore? Also Misty was hard to beat since I had Charmeleon. Are Psyduck and Horsea references to the anime? It is fun to play and I like how Team Rocket have their theme and an R logo before you battle them. Reminds me of Azure Horizons beta 1 since it has two badges in the beta, the second gym leader has three Pokemon, it ends with an event battling one lone grunt kind of.
          Old August 21st, 2010 (7:43 AM). Edited August 21st, 2010 by Chaos Rush.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by SonicBlazePlatinum View Post
            I got finished playing the beta yesterday. Why doesn't Charmander learn Metal Claw anymore?
            He never learned it in R/G/B/Y. The point of the starters that Squirtle is easy because it learns a damaging elemental attack earlier than the others, Bulbasaur is medium because you have to work harder for it to learn Vine Whip, and Charmander is hard because you have a disadvantage. They completely ruined that in FR/LG.

If Brock is hard, do what you did in Gen I: Either catch a Mankey, or catch a Caterpie (which will know Confusion as a Butterfree)

Also, you mentioned Misty was hard: There are three somewhat good Grass Pokemon obtainable other than Bulbasaur. Head for Route 5 to catch Bellsprout, which will already know Vine Whip. Or you could look in Route 24 and you'll find Sunkern, and I've placed a Sun Stone on Route 25 so you can evolve Sunkern. Also you can catch Oddish on Route 25.

Quote:
            Are Psyduck and Horsea references to the anime?
            Hell no. I hate the anime, and you'll never see a single anime reference in this hack. And that's also why if you play as Green, you'll never see Red with a Pikachu in the pseudo-rival fights. I gave Misty a Psyduck because it's a somewhat decent water Pokemon, and I gave her a Horsea because if you're not careful you could get owned by Dragon Rage. Originally I was going to give her Vaporeon, but then I decided that's a little too hard with it's defenses.

When the time comes to do "Pokemon Saga - HeartGold", one of the things I will do is change Red's team to the team he has in DarkViolet if he started with Charmander. That means bye bye Pikachu! (And I'm also going to make Blue's team the team he has in DarkViolet if he started with Squirtle)

The last time I watched the anime was in 2002, and I don't remember her having a Horsea at all. Wasn't her team something like Staryu, Goldeen, and Togepi? Nobody has to answer that question because I don't really care.
            Old August 21st, 2010 (10:44 AM).
            Guess who's back?

Nature: Naughty
              Quote:
              When the time comes to do "Pokemon Saga - HeartGold", one of the things I will do is change Red's team to the team he has in DarkViolet if he started with Charmander. That means bye bye Pikachu! (And I'm also going to make Blue's team the team he has in DarkViolet if he started with Squirtle)
              The "pikachu" wasnt a reference to the anime by the way
              It was reference to Pokemon Yellow - Special Pikachu edition ;P

Anyway the hack looks good
              Can't wait for the beta
              And I will be always a fan
              Old August 21st, 2010 (12:27 PM). Edited August 21st, 2010 by Chaos Rush.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
                The "pikachu" wasnt a reference to the anime by the way
                It was reference to Pokemon Yellow - Special Pikachu edition ;P
                And Pokemon Yellow is based off the anime. So Red's Pikachu = Pokemon Yellow = Anime = ew.

EDIT: I'm just letting you guys know that all doors have their animation fixed now, which you can see in Beta 2. I've changed my mind, there won't be a Beta 1.1, sorry...
                Also originally I was planning on Beta 2 going up to Celadon, while Beta 3 going up to Saffron, but I've changed my mind, I've merged Beta 2 and 3. Therefore, Beta 2 will go all the way to Saffron (that's 6 badges!), so don't expect another Beta release for quite a while. Then Beta 3 will have the Pokemon League and Sevii Islands. Sometime after Beta 2 is out, I will begin working on Pokemon Jade, and I plan on releasing the final versions of DarkViolet and Jade on the same day.
                Old August 21st, 2010 (12:45 PM).
                Needs NO VMs...

Nature: Naive
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
                  And Pokemon Yellow is based off the anime. So Red's Pikachu = Pokemon Yellow = Anime = ew.

EDIT: I'm just letting you guys know that all doors have their animation fixed now, which you can see in Beta 2. I've changed my mind, there won't be a Beta 1.1, sorry...
                  Also originally I was planning on Beta 2 going up to Celadon, while Beta 3 going up to Saffron, but I've changed my mind, I've merged Beta 2 and 3. Therefore, Beta 2 will go all the way to Saffron (that's 6 badges!), so don't expect another Beta release for quite a while. Then Beta 3 will have the Pokemon League and Sevii Islands. Sometime after Beta 2 is out, I will begin working on Pokemon Jade, and I plan on releasing the final versions of DarkViolet and Jade on the same day.
                  The manga was made BEFORE the anime, therefore it should be Red's Pikachu = Pokemon Yellow = Anime = Rip off of the manga.
                  Old August 21st, 2010 (12:51 PM).

Quote:

The manga was made BEFORE the anime, therefore it should be Red's Pikachu = Pokemon Yellow = Anime = Rip off of the manga.
                    Yeah, but I'm still not giving Red a Pikachu, sorry. And I'm not dissing the manga, I think it looks really cool, and I would like to read it sometime... after all, according to Bulbapedia, Satoshi Tajiri said that the manga represents best the world he was trying to convey. Violence ftw! I guess that's because the main character actually received a Kanto starter from Prof. Oak, instead of a weak random mouse that belongs in a forest.

But even if the anime never existed, I still wouldn't give Red a Pikachu, because Pikachu = Weak = Suck.
                    Old August 21st, 2010 (12:56 PM).
                    hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!

Nature: Bashful
                      Quote:
                      Yeah, but I'm still not giving Red a Pikachu, sorry. And I'm not dissing the manga, I think it looks really cool, and I would like to read it sometime... after all, according to Bulbapedia, Satoshi Tajiri said that the manga represents best the world he was trying to convey. Violence ftw! I guess that's because the main character actually received a Kanto starter from Prof. Oak, instead of a weak random mouse that belongs in a forest.
                      Quote:

But even if the anime never existed, I still wouldn't give Red a Pikachu, because Pikachu = Weak = Suck.
                      Agreed, anyway that is the future, right, and the sequel, so should we discuss the current game? (And what are you giving him instead? Is he keeping Snorlax, as he replaced it with Lapras in HG/SS, didn't he?)

Now, have I said my opinion... I think what you are doing is beyond what is needed. In a good way. Most hackers strive for uniqueness, you are doing it by doing what Nintendo did, but better. Should be interesting (seeing as they built FR from the Ruby engine)

Temmie vibrates intensely.

awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

OMG!! humans TOO CUTE (dies)

can't blame a BARK for tryin'...

RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

Old August 21st, 2010 (1:13 PM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post

Agreed, anyway that is the future, right, and the sequel, so should we discuss the current game? (And what are you giving him instead? Is he keeping Snorlax, as he replaced it with Lapras in HG/SS, didn't he?)
                        To find out part of Red's team, download Beta 1, play as Green, and pick Squirtle.

Quote:
                        Now, have I said my opinion... I think what you are doing is beyond what is needed. In a good way. Most hackers strive for uniqueness, you are doing it by doing what Nintendo did, but better. Should be interesting (seeing as they built FR from the Ruby engine)
                        lol, to tell you the truth, way back in October 09, this was going to be a FireRed hack. But then I decided that there has to be animated battle sprites and a Battle Frontier, since Emerald (which I'm renaming to Jade), Platinum, and HeartGold have one. Besides, HG/SS were built off of Platinum, so I guess it is interesting to see what a Kanto game built off of Emerald would have been like.

But I'm also doing Pokemon Saga to make the games kinda "connect". I noticed that FR/LG seems the most dated, for instance:

*Only 2 main characters. R/S/E has Brendan, May, and Wally. D/P/Pt has Lucas, Dawn, and Barry. HG/SS has Ethan, Lyra, and Emoguy. Unfortunately, FR/LG just had 2 main characters, since the opposite gender character wasn't in the game at all. That's why I chose to make a pseudo-rival in DarkViolet.

*Team Rocket doesn't have proper admins/executives/commanders (in FR/LG). Well, let's see, in R/S/E, the Magma Admins are Courtney and Tabitha. The Aqua Admins are Matt and Shelly. In D/P/Pt, the Galactic Commanders are Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and Charon. In HG/SS, they named the unamed executives from G/S/C, which became Proton, Petrel, Ariana, and Archer. In FR/LG, you fight no admins during the main storyline, and the only admins were those unamed ones in the Rocket Warehouse on Five Island, and they had similar teams to the final two executives in G/S/C (which were renamed to Ariana and Archer in HG/SS).

After finding that out, I realized that Ariana and Archer actually appear in FR/LG, but they were unamed. SO, I decided to include them in DarkViolet, but I actually gave them proper sprites, plus I'm going to have you fight them during the main Kanto portion of the storyline. Since the Hoenn games have 2 admins per team, I decided to only include Ariana and Archer in DarkViolet. Petrel and Proton will make cameo appearances as Grunts part of the Silph Co invasion.

Um... I guess I strayed from the topic too much lol
                        Old August 22nd, 2010 (2:43 AM).
                        /)^3^(\
                        • Silver Tier

Nature: Relaxed
                        Why does Ariana have a black outfit and a Gastly? Also why don't you give Misty a Wooper instead of a Horsea, since Lapras would seem too hard, and Quagsire is used by Misty three years later in HG/SS.
                        Old August 22nd, 2010 (7:37 AM). Edited August 22nd, 2010 by Lord Varion.
                        Guess who's back?

Quote:

Actaully in the manga
                          Red starts with a poliwag
                          but catches the Pikachu

I'm playing the beta as we speak
                          and i must say i'm impressed
                          It looks even better than the screenshots
                          Just a suggestion but since its gonna look like HGSS kanto
                          Shouldn't the MART have tables and cushions in Although u based the PC to look like R/B/G

Oh yes and

When the old man shows you how to catch Pokemon
                          Well...

Wally has a makeover xD
                          Old August 22nd, 2010 (8:25 AM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by SonicBlazePlatinum View Post
                            Why does Ariana have a black outfit and a Gastly? Also why don't you give Misty a Wooper instead of a Horsea, since Lapras would seem too hard, and Quagsire is used by Misty three years later in HG/SS.
                            Ariana has a Gastly because she's also going use Haunter/Gengar when I do "Pokemon Saga - HeartGold". Misty doesn't use Wooper because Wooper is a really weak Pokemon, and I can easily change her team in "Pokemon Saga - HeartGold".

Also Ariana has a black outfit because I'm not going to make her look exactly the same three years prior. Afterall, if Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika, Koga, Sabrina, Blaine, Giovanni, and Blue all got outfit changes three years later, then I think it's okay to make Ariana look different three years before HG/SS.

Just saying, but Archer will also have a black outfit in DarkViolet. Besides, I don't know why, but IMO, the black outfit makes them look younger, which is a good thing.
                            Old August 22nd, 2010 (8:27 AM).

Ohhh I thought this was kind of a manga hack. Either way it looks good. I was hoping to have RED travel to Johto. Butttt I guess I need to wait for that kind of hack. Also, I read that timeline garbage.. wtf?? I'm confused lol.

Regards,
                              ArcanineFan7
                              Old August 22nd, 2010 (8:29 AM). Edited August 22nd, 2010 by Chaos Rush.

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by ArcanineFan7 View Post
                                Ohhh I thought this was kind of a manga hack. Either way it looks good. I was hoping to have RED travel to Johto. Butttt I guess I need to wait for that kind of hack. Also, I read that timeline garbage.. wtf?? I'm confused lol.
                                Just wait until I post Pokemon Jade, then everything will make sense (hopefully).

EDIT: Oh, and

Right now I'm trying to decide if it looks better with the FR/LG battle text box, or the default DarkViolet textbox. The reason why I'm considering using the default one is because the 4th gen games don't use a separate textbox for battles, so there's another thing that I might have to make consistent...

I'm also going to hack the HP boxes to look like the HG/SS ones. In Pokemon Jade, the HP boxes will look like the Platinum ones.

Originally I was just going to use the default Emerald battle backgrounds, but thanks to Frostbite posting new screenshots of his hack, I suddenly realized that it's possible for D/P/Pt/HG/SS backgrounds to actually look nice in a GBA hack, you just have to sort your colors carefully.

EDIT: Also, I'm going to raise Misty's levels a bit because some people say that she's kinda easy. Besides, it's really easy to train in this game thanks to the rematch system.
                                Old August 22nd, 2010 (8:43 AM). Edited August 22nd, 2010 by ArcanineFan7.

I'm playing the beta right now. Whenever i go to a building in Viridian city, a tile appears over the building. Not sure if this has been reported yet.

EDIT: Same thing for Pewter City.

Regards,
                                  ArcanineFan7
                                  Old August 22nd, 2010 (9:08 AM).

Quote:
                                    I'm playing the beta right now. Whenever i go to a building in Viridian city, a tile appears over the building. Not sure if this has been reported yet.

EDIT: Same thing for Pewter City.
                                    I've already said that all door animations have been fixed for Beta 2.
                                    Old August 22nd, 2010 (9:24 AM). Edited August 22nd, 2010 by ArcanineFan7.

Alright. I found hoot-hoot in viridian forest. Not sure if that is suppose to be there. Also to nit-pick, the text in the battle scenes and saving screens are over a space. I remember them being flush with the border. But that does not really matter. Other than that, this is all I can find is "wrong". Good job.

Regards,
                                      ArcanineFan7
                                      Old August 22nd, 2010 (10:42 AM).

Quote:
                                        Alright. I found hoot-hoot in viridian forest. Not sure if that is suppose to be there. Also to nit-pick, the text in the battle scenes and saving screens are over a space. I remember them being flush with the border. But that does not really matter. Other than that, this is all I can find is "wrong". Good job.
                                        Hoothoot is in DarkViolet's Kanto dex, I think I've posted this about 3 times by now:
                                        Spoiler:

Bulbasaur
                                        Ivysaur
                                        Venusaur
                                        Charmander
                                        Charmeleon
                                        Charizard
                                        Squirtle
                                        Wartortle
                                        Blastoise
                                        Caterpie
                                        Metapod
                                        Butterfree
                                        Weedle
                                        Kakuna
                                        Beedrill
                                        Ledyba
                                        Ledian
                                        Spinarak
                                        Ariados
                                        Pidgey
                                        Pidgeotto
                                        Pidgeot
                                        Rattata
                                        Raticate
                                        Sentret
                                        Furret
                                        Spearow
                                        Fearow
                                        Hoothoot
                                        Noctowl
                                        Ekans
                                        Arbok
                                        Pichu
                                        Pikachu
                                        Raichu
                                        Sandshrew
                                        Sandslash
                                        Nidoran F
                                        Nidorina
                                        Nidoqueen
                                        Nidoran M
                                        Nidorino
                                        Nidoking
                                        Cleffa
                                        Clefairy
                                        Clefable
                                        Vulpix
                                        Ninetales
                                        Igglybuff
                                        Jigglypuff
                                        Wigglytuff
                                        Zubat
                                        Golbat
                                        Crobat
                                        Oddish
                                        Gloom
                                        Vileplume
                                        Bellossom
                                        Sunkern
                                        Sunflora
                                        Paras
                                        Parasect
                                        Venonat
                                        Venomoth
                                        Diglett
                                        Dugtrio
                                        Meowth
                                        Persian
                                        Psyduck
                                        Golduck
                                        Mankey
                                        Primeape
                                        Growlithe
                                        Arcanine
                                        Poliwag
                                        Poliwhirl
                                        Poliwrath
                                        Politoed
                                        Abra
                                        Kadabra
                                        Alakazam
                                        Machop
                                        Machoke
                                        Machamp
                                        Bellsprout
                                        Weepinbel
                                        Victreebel
                                        Hoppip
                                        Skiploom
                                        Jumpluff
                                        Tentacool
                                        Tentacruel
                                        Wooper
                                        Quagsire
                                        Geodude
                                        Graveler
                                        Golem
                                        Ponyta
                                        Rapidash
                                        Houndour
                                        Houndoom
                                        Slowpoke
                                        Slowbro
                                        Slowking
                                        Magnemite
                                        Magneton
                                        Farfetch’d
                                        Doduo
                                        Dodrio
                                        Seel
                                        Dewgong
                                        Grimer
                                        Muk
                                        Shellder
                                        Cloyster
                                        Gastly
                                        Haunter
                                        Gengar
                                        Onix
                                        Steelix
                                        Drowzee
                                        Hypno
                                        Murkrow
                                        Krabby
                                        Kingler
                                        Voltorb
                                        Electrode
                                        Exeggcute
                                        Exeggutor
                                        Cubone
                                        Marowak
                                        Wynaut
                                        Wobbuffet
                                        Tyrogue
                                        Hitmonlee
                                        Hitmonchan
                                        Hitmontop
                                        Lickitung
                                        Koffing
                                        Weezing
                                        Slugma
                                        Magcargo
                                        Rhyhorn
                                        Rhydon
                                        Chansey
                                        Blissey
                                        Tangela
                                        Kangaskhan
                                        Horsea
                                        Seadra
                                        Kingdra
                                        Azurill
                                        Marill
                                        Azumarill
                                        Goldeen
                                        Seaking
                                        Staryu
                                        Starmie
                                        Mr. Mime
                                        Scyther
                                        Scizor
                                        Smoochum
                                        Jynx
                                        Teddiursa
                                        Ursaring
                                        Phanpy
                                        Donphan
                                        Elekid
                                        Electabuzz
                                        Magby
                                        Magmar
                                        Pinsir
                                        Tauros
                                        Miltank
                                        Chinchou
                                        Lanturn
                                        Magikarp
                                        Gyarados
                                        Lapras
                                        Ditto
                                        Eevee
                                        Vaporeon
                                        Jolteon
                                        Flareon
                                        Espeon
                                        Umbreon
                                        Porygon
                                        Porygon2
                                        Omanyte
                                        Omastar
                                        Kabuto
                                        Kabutops
                                        Aerodactyl
                                        Snorlax
                                        Articuno
                                        Zapdos
                                        Moltres
                                        Dratini
                                        Dragonair
                                        Dragonite
                                        Mewtwo
                                        Mew

And I don't really know what you're talking about the textbox, the battle textbox is exactly the same as FR/LG's, and the textboxes in Ru/Sa, FR/LG, and Emerald float over empty space too.

If you see some Pokemon that you think don't belong there, please don't even mention it. I bet you guys didn't even notice the Machop in Route 3, the Poliwag in Route 4, the Vulpix & Ponyta in Route 5, the Sunkern on Route 24, the Igglybuff on Route 2 and 3, the Cleffa in Mt. Moon, yeah, like it or not, you're going to see a few Gen II Pokemon because they're in my Kanto dex, and you're going to see certain Gen I Pokemon in different places.
                                        Old August 22nd, 2010 (10:59 AM).
                                        Hey, look, I was gone.

I noticed Machop. Thought it was normal- guess not.
                                          Old August 22nd, 2010 (12:42 PM).
                                          Guess who's back?

Quote:
                                            I noticed Machop. Thought it was normal- guess not.

Machop was origanlly Normal in R/B/G

But was moved to Fighting Type due to the amount of BlackBelt and Hikers that use them

(...someone's done his homework...) :D
                                            Old August 22nd, 2010 (12:57 PM).
                                            Heart's Soul Heart's Soul is offline
                                            Hey, look, I was gone.

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by Nintendork15 View Post
                                              Machop was origanlly Normal in R/B/G

But was moved to Fighting Type due to the amount of BlackBelt and Hikers that use them

(...someone's done his homework...) :D
                                              ...What? I thought it was normal for Machop to be there, in RGBY he was Fighting Type. ALWAYS.
                                              Old August 22nd, 2010 (1:03 PM).
                                              Lord Varion Lord Varion is offline
                                              Guess who's back?

Quote:
                                                ...What? I thought it was normal for Machop to be there, in RGBY he was Fighting Type. ALWAYS.

It was NORMAL on Green

And i was wonderin
                                                With Proton and Petrel be in the Game
                                                Since there part of TEAM rocket

Quick Reply