• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Off the top of my head...

Ravecat

I'm Right.
Years
This is a team I've just constructed, they are all Pokémon I like aestehtically and I haven't particularly gone for any 'popular' sets, just things I like and think might work. I'm not looking for the perfect team, just something that at least has a chance against generic OU teams.
Team_1.png

What do you think?​

Years
Sweet layout.

The team is pretty good. I can maybe point to a couple of pokemon that might give this team trouble - like Swampert with Ice Beam and Earthquake - but overall I see no gaping holes/flaws. Pretty good type coverage with the attacks.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
Years
Thanks. :)

And ugh, I've always had trouble with Swampert; I just never think about to countering him until I come up against one, and it's too late. .-.

Who's the best candidate for a Grass move?

Last edited:
Years
Also, I just noticed the EV spread on Dusknoir needs to be changed. 252 speed EV's on that thing won't make much of a difference because with base 45 speed, it's going to be going last almost every time anyway. Putting all 252 of those into HP (and the last 4 into defense) makes sense to me, but you might want to wait for a second opinion because someone might know a better spread.

EDIT: As for the Grass move, probably HP Grass on Jolteon. I don't know too much about hidden powers, seeing as I build my teams mostly for wifi, but there's a good chance whoever you're battling will switch Swampert in on Jolteon to take a thunderbolt, instead being OHKO'd by HP Grass.

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
Years
first of all, put tentacruel out first, that way you can t-spikes straight away, and 2nd, change your dusknoir to this set, it's very tough, and is a definate wall-breaker

Leftovers

Substitute
Pain Split
Will-o-wisp/Toxic/Confuse Ray
Shadow Punch/Shadow Sneak

4 ATK
252 DEF
252 SDEF

Adamant Nature

This set needs low HP, as that increases Pain Split's Power, then Status the opponent, and attack - I normally put Will-o-wisp in as steel-types are immune to poison and resist Ghost moves, while fire types take neutral damage from ghosts...

anyways, if you want more help, VM me or AragornBird (he's a master) - I'm more suited to Double Battles, but I can adapt...

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Years
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I love the presentation of your team, but I DON'T love your movesets. In fact, most of your movesets, excluding Jolteon, are pretty BAD.

TENTACRUEL

Why does it have HP Fighting? A STAB Surf does more damage than a supereffective Hidden Power:

STAB Surf: 142.5 Power
Supereffective Hidden Power: 140 Power

The only thing in OU that resists Water and is weak to Fighting is Empoleon, but Empoleon is so rarely used that it's pointless to use something like HP Fighting just for one Pokemon.
Change it to Rapid Spin. At least Rapid Spin is consistently useful.

Don't go overboard with Tentacruel's Sp. Defense EVs. Tentacruel is also your only Infernape counter. Infernapes carry a powerful Close Combat and if you don't have any Defense EVs, Close Combat might 2HKO you.

Change it's EV spread to the following: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpDef

TYRANITAR

What's the point of using Iron Defense? Even if you do survive one Fighting attack, you'll still get taken out by a second one since a) you're really slow and b) you don't have a recovery move. Don't use defense boosting moves unless you have a way to heal yourself, otherwise you'll be beaten down by powerful attacks which makes all your defense boosts go to waste.

If you want to have a Tyranitar that can beat Fighting types, use ScarfTar.

Tyranitar @Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake/Superpower

By being faster than your opponent, you don't have to worry about surviving their attacks since you can beat them before they beat you. This Tyranitar outspeeds every Fighting type in the game as long as they don't have a Choice Scarf of their own.

GLISCOR

Okay, so Gliscor is your Stealth Rocker. That makes sense and so does Earthquake. So what's the point of Brick Break? A STAB neutral Earthquake does just as much damage as an unSTABed supereffective Brick Break. So Brick Break is useless on a Ground type. Plus, both Earthquake and Brick Break are resisted by Flying types so it won't help you there. Aqua Tail isn't really helpful either. Water is supereffective against Ground, Fire, and Rock. Rock and Fire are already weak to Earthquake, and most Ground types are too physically defensive to be KOed by Aqua Tail. Replace Brick Break with Roost and Aqua Tail with U-Turn.

Gliscor's EV spread also sucks. Their is absolutely NO need for Gliscor to have max Attack and Defense. Yes, Gliscor is a physical Pokemon and yes it's defensive. But Gliscor is much more than that - it's a Lucario counter first and foremost. Many Lucarios carry Ice Punch just for Gliscor. Fortunately, Gliscor can outrun Lucario and defeat it with Earthquake before it can attack. That's why all Gliscors need a Jolly Nature with at least 307 Speed to beat max speed Lucario.

Change it's Nature to Jolly and its EV spread to 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spd.

DUSKNOIR

Don't listen to Dark Pulse! He's not experienced enough to give advice on competitive teams. This is apparent because his Dusknoir EV spread is bad. He doesn't know how to EV a Pokemon defensively. You seem to have trouble with this as well, so please read the following:

[assistance=How to EV a Pokemon defensively]

If Pokemon's HP < Defense/Sp Defense, max out HP first
Examples: Shuckle, Dusknoir, Bronzong

If Pokemon's HP > Defense/Sp Defense, max out Defense and/or Sp Defense first
Examples: Blissey, Snorlax, Wobbuffet

If Pokemon's HP is equal or nearly equal to Defense/Sp Defense, max out HP first
Example: Celebi, Jirachi, Nidoqueen

Example: Let's take 2 Spiritombs with the same IVs and the same level. Spiritomb 1 will have max HP EVs and the rest split in both defenses. Spiritomb 2 will have max EVs in both defenses and only 4 in HP.

Spiritomb 1 with 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpDef (neutral nature)
Spiritomb 2 with 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef (neutral nature)

Here's how much damage they will take from the following attacks:

STAB Earthquake from Pokemon with 300 Attack:

Spritomb 1: 36.8% - 43.8%
Spritomb 2: 42.6% - 50.8%

STAB Flamethrower from Pokemon with 300 Special Attack:

Spritomb 1: 35.9% - 42.8%
Spritomb 2: 40.9% - 48.3%

As you can see, Spiritomb 1 takes less damage from both Special and Physical attacks than Spiritomb 2 even though Spiritomb 2 has more EVs in both defenses. This shows you how important HP is for a wall that has less HP than defenses. [/assistance]

So what have we learned from this? Defensive Pokemon with Low HP NEED their HP maxed out. A good Dusknoir EV spread would be 252 HP / 28 Atk / 228 Def. 28 Atk is needed to guarantee an OHKO on Heatran with Earthquake.

SNORLAX

What's the point of using Snorlax if you don't have a Normal move? Normal is Snorlax's only type so Normal moves are going to be far stronger than any other move Snorlax learns. I understand you want to cover Rock, Steel, and Ghost opponents, but Snorlax can't do all that in one set. That's why you have your teammates counter things that Snorlax can't handle.
Replace Thunderpunch with Body Slam.

So here's the quick review:

*Give Tentacruel Rapid Spin. Change it's EVs.
*Change Tyranitar to the Choice Scarf set.
*Give Gliscor Roost and U-Turn. Change it's Nature and EVs.
*Change Dusknoir's EVs.
*Give Snorlax Body Slam.

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
Years
Don't listen to Dark Pulse! He's not experienced enough to give advice on competitive teams. This is apparent because his Dusknoir EV spread is bad.

ok, I may not be experienced, Aragornbird, but this Dusknoir needs low HP for his Pain Split to work properly, and I know i'm no good with EV's, but I was mainly focusing on the moveset (what does the moveset seem to you? it works for me all the time)

ok, sorry for the flame war, but yeah... I wanted to get my opinion across...

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
Years

No, it doesn't need low HP. That's something that noobs do all the time and it doesn't work. As I've already shown you, a wall with no HP EVs will take more damage from attacks than a wall with max HP EVs.

Secondly, using Substitute on such a slow Pokemon is retarded. Substitute is used to block status, scout your opponent's moves, and prevent critical hits. If you're slow, your opponent will attack BEFORE you set up a Sub which means you've failed to do any of the above things.

Pain Split works fine without Substitute and with max HP.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
Years
Thanks for the advice. . .

. . . Though obviously I don't know these things because I'm not as learned in competitive battling as yourself.

I will take it all into account.

Back