• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In depth Advance Map tutorial

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
You must be missing something for A-Map. You should re-download A-Map and the ROM. But from a different source, or get them from your friend, since they work for her. But I don't know.

Years
  • Seen Dec 7, 2012
The A-Map that I have, the download link was sent to me from her. I have no idea what to do, and this is impossibly frustrating, because I have a plot idea and I want to work on it solo, and I can't get the program to work.

konman719

Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2011

1zq6dyw.jpg

Change that box to the town you want to change?

Everything?
Yes, i have the same problem as Pokemonguy1990... when we create a completely new map we want to change the name of the map without changing the names of any other maps... when we create a map no matter what we TRY to call it, it automatically names it PALLET TOWN or whatever, and if we change the name after its creation, it changes the name of all the OTHER PALLET TOWN maps too... and we want to add maps while at the same time keeping all the maps that already exist in the ROM... do you get what i mean?

chriskid198

Happy New Year!
Years
Yes, i have the same problem as Pokemonguy1990... when we create a completely new map we want to change the name of the map without changing the names of any other maps... when we create a map no matter what we TRY to call it, it automatically names it PALLET TOWN or whatever, and if we change the name after its creation, it changes the name of all the OTHER PALLET TOWN maps too... and we want to add maps while at the same time keeping all the maps that already exist in the ROM... do you get what i mean?
I kinda get what you mean, so you want to insert new maps, but also keep all the other maps?

Can you send me a patch? I'll have a look at it for you, see if I can figure it out.

konman719

Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2011
I kinda get what you mean, so you want to insert new maps, but also keep all the other maps?

Can you send me a patch? I'll have a look at it for you, see if I can figure it out.
I'll be honest, i have no clue how to do that... but do you not have this problem? or have you just never attempted to do what im trying to do?

Pokemonguy1990

Pokemon Shoto Saga Creator
Years
Well, here's what i got to explain it. (I tried to post the image as a picture, but I'm under the 15 post / URL attachment limit)

Konman719, is this the problem you're having? just so we're all on the same page.

Attachments

• Naming Maps (issue).JPG
    Naming Maps (issue).JPG
    586.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

プラチナ・ベルリッツ

~してんのうの カトレア!!
Years
Simple Answer: NO, YOU CANNOT ADD NEW MAP NAMES TO THE ROM! (Well, for the meanwhile at least.)

If you have read some post about this somewhere before, the reason behind this is because there is a routine in some part of the ROM that limits the number of map names the game has.

FR/LG has 202 maps (I think) in the ROM and in that "routine" (asm?) there is a value there "CA" (CA->202) which from what I remember is the limit.

And from other posts that I've read, the reason why "Create New Name" is greyed out is because if you add a new map name (bypassing the limit) it will corrupt other data in the ROM.

So unless the author of A-map makes a way to get rid off the limit, we can only do for now is to REPLACE map names and not ADD new names.

Wew.. :)

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
True that you can't add new names, but under the FR ROM, isn't there a Route 4 and Route... something else folder that has no maps under it but is called that? (Not the standard Route 4 one, there is another). Using the dropdown menu next to where you manually change the name, select the first Route 4 you see (should be before Route 1), it changes the map to Route 4. Then change the name. Just an idea.

Pokemonguy1990

Years
Simple Answer: NO, YOU CANNOT ADD NEW MAP NAMES TO THE ROM! (Well, for the meanwhile at least.)

If you have read some post about this somewhere before, the reason behind this is because there is a routine in some part of the ROM that limits the number of map names the game has.

FR/LG has 202 maps (I think) in the ROM and in that "routine" (asm?) there is a value there "CA" (CA->202) which from what I remember is the limit.

And from other posts that I've read, the reason why "Create New Name" is greyed out is because if you add a new map name (bypassing the limit) it will corrupt other data in the ROM.

So unless the author of A-map makes a way to get rid off the limit, we can only do for now is to REPLACE map names and not ADD new names.

oh, okay, that's kind of disappointing, but understandable. thanks for letting me know. My main reason of asking was because 1: I haven't been able to search each thread for the answer her on PC, and 2: I have not found any other websites saying one way or the other on this issue. Thankyou again for answering my question.

on another note.

I know of a couple maps in the fire red ROM labeled Sevii Isle # (Maps 3.50-3.53) that aren't in the game themselves. If I make these accessible in the ROM will they cause any issues? Two of them are 1x1 (Sevii Isle 6 and Sevii Isle 7) and are black tiles, (if you select the tile it comes up as water on the Tile Bank) and the other two are 84x20 and 24x60 and consist of water and rocks. the 84x20 (Sevii isle 8) has a small island in the middle, and a couple tiles are misplaced with a small cliff in the bottom right. While the 26x60 (Sevii Isle 9) is simply water bordered by rocks, with a small cliff in the top right.

the irony is that I want to add four more maps, and luck my there are these four available (and can be renamed with out my previous stated issue, since I want the names of these locations to come up like when you enter any other town, route, etc.), but since they are not normally accessed in the game, I'm afraid to add them and corrupt my ROM (as well as 3-4 months of map editing work).

konman719

Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2011
Well, here's what i got to explain it. (I tried to post the image as a picture, but I'm under the 15 post / URL attachment limit)

Konman719, is this the problem you're having? just so we're all on the same page.
yes that is the problem im having but i guess you cant add new map after all bc there is a limit... that really sucks

Wow.... well that really sucks :/ im happy somebody finallly answered my question, though, after waiting for so long... thanks a bunch, and if you ever figure out a way around the limit, let me know

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2010
how can i use this new tiles that you got on paragraph: Areas
???plz anyone help me!???

Pokemonguy1990

Years
When setting map connections, how do I calculate the offset? also, if an offset is 1 on one map, does it have to be -1 on the map I'm connecting to?

I'm asking because I'm getting tired of opening the game in VBA and checking it.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
When setting map connections, how do I calculate the offset? also, if an offset is 1 on one map, does it have to be -1 on the map I'm connecting to?

I'm asking because I'm getting tired of opening the game in VBA and checking it.

The values in the "offset" fields should be opposites. So yes, if one is '1', the other should be '-1'. As for finding the value itself, I usually just use trial and error. You could probably work it out with a bit of math but who wants to do that? :P

Pokemonguy1990

Years
The values in the "offset" fields should be opposites. So yes, if one is '1', the other should be '-1'. As for finding the value itself, I usually just use trial and error. You could probably work it out with a bit of math but who wants to do that? :P

Thank you, I'm sure I can figure out a little formula or something to help me, but just knowing that i do need a positive and negative offset helps a lot.

Thanks again!

プラチナ・ベルリッツ

~してんのうの カトレア!!
Years
oh, okay, that's kind of disappointing, but understandable. thanks for letting me know. My main reason of asking was because 1: I haven't been able to search each thread for the answer her on PC, and 2: I have not found any other websites saying one way or the other on this issue. Thankyou again for answering my question.

on another note.

I know of a couple maps in the fire red ROM labeled Sevii Isle # (Maps 3.50-3.53) that aren't in the game themselves. If I make these accessible in the ROM will they cause any issues? Two of them are 1x1 (Sevii Isle 6 and Sevii Isle 7) and are black tiles, (if you select the tile it comes up as water on the Tile Bank) and the other two are 84x20 and 24x60 and consist of water and rocks. the 84x20 (Sevii isle 8) has a small island in the middle, and a couple tiles are misplaced with a small cliff in the bottom right. While the 26x60 (Sevii Isle 9) is simply water bordered by rocks, with a small cliff in the top right.

the irony is that I want to add four more maps, and luck my there are these four available (and can be renamed with out my previous stated issue, since I want the names of these locations to come up like when you enter any other town, route, etc.), but since they are not normally accessed in the game, I'm afraid to add them and corrupt my ROM (as well as 3-4 months of map editing work).

Let's see.. I think you can use those maps in your hack because from what I've read that Sevii Isles (it's different from Sevii Islands) 6,7,8,9 are unused maps that were dropped from the released games but were left there (Wow, quite lazy I see? :p). They should work and for the 1x1 map you could resize it. But just to be sure, backup your ROM first.

I'm going to check it right now...

Yup, it works 100%! I renamed it, resized it, and added events to it. Just make sure you remove the connections of Sevii Isles 6 and 7 to Three Island.

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2017
Wow, this guide is amasing! Congratulations Link, this is one of the best guides i've seen on the internet, very well explained, clear and it have images n.n

Bye!

Back