• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Emerald hack: Pokémon CrystalDust [v3 PUBLIC ALPHA]

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
Years
This is probably the most promising GSC remake that I've ever seen.

The problem is - it's too late. We've got HGSS. The era of remakes is over.

Yay at using Emerald as the base, it's got everything that FRLG has plus the PokeNav. It's a really good choice.

But those maps from Platinum/Palladium Project are bored and tired from every side. Seeing them gets me annoyed, it's like I'm looking at the same hack all the time.

I say - don't be afraid of importing some stuff of HGSS. Some elements of HGSS are really fine to be used in a GBA remake (like Rocket Executives, they really need their names and sprites [you may want to make Archer and Ariana more similar to their GSC counterparts, though]).

Also, what I'd love to see is to see HGSS-like Johto tilesets but in FRLG style. And I'm not talking about those DS-imitating tilesets, as they're mostly ugly and annoying. I'm saying that it'd be possible to make HGSS-based tilesets but in GBA style, without mimicking the pseudo-3D graphics.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years

Yay at using Emerald as the base, it's got everything that FRLG has plus the PokeNav. It's a really good choice.

But those maps from Platinum/Palladium Project are bored and tired from every side. Seeing them gets me annoyed, it's like I'm looking at the same hack all the time.

I say - don't be afraid of importing some stuff of HGSS. Some elements of HGSS are really fine to be used in a GBA remake (like Rocket Executives, they really need their names and sprites [you may want to make Archer and Ariana more similar to their GSC counterparts, though]).

Also, what I'd love to see is to see HGSS-like Johto tilesets but in FRLG style. And I'm not talking about those DS-imitating tilesets, as they're mostly ugly and annoying. I'm saying that it'd be possible to make HGSS-based tilesets but in GBA style, without mimicking the pseudo-3D graphics.

What does that have to do with anything?
Just because there has been made official Remakes, doesen't mean that you should give up on making some new one.
Even though there has been made R/B/G remakes, they still keep popping in.

Lugiaz Soul

I support Crystal Dust
Years

I think the current tiles are gonna fit this better than any other ugly tiles.

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Oh, the Day and Night System... xD
Yeah... XD

aww..thats too bad, but i focused on the "FOR NOW" which means it is still in fixing rite?
anyway, i am still looking forward to try this..
Yes, I hope to have a fix before the release of Beta 2.
This is probably the most promising GSC remake that I've ever seen. Thanks.

The problem is - it's too late. We've got HGSS. The era of remakes is over. That's like saying that just because... nvm, read the quote under this.

Yay at using Emerald as the base, it's got everything that FRLG has plus the PokeNav. It's a really good choice. Thanks. I thought about FireRed, but, like you said, Emerald IS FireRed IMPROVED. Plus, for GSC remakes, it's overused.

But those maps from Platinum/Palladium Project are bored and tired from every side. Seeing them gets me annoyed, it's like I'm looking at the same hack all the time. Maps? From Palladium? What are you talking about? I made all my maps from scratch - the tilesets and some sprites have been copied from there, nothing more.

I say - don't be afraid of importing some stuff of HGSS. Some elements of HGSS are really fine to be used in a GBA remake (like Rocket Executives, they really need their names and sprites [you may want to make Archer and Ariana more similar to their GSC counterparts, though]). Uhh, no. Remember, my goal is to make as accurate a GSC remake as possible.

Also, what I'd love to see is to see HGSS-like Johto tilesets but in FRLG style. And I'm not talking about those DS-imitating tilesets, as they're mostly ugly and annoying. I'm saying that it'd be possible to make HGSS-based tilesets but in GBA style, without mimicking the pseudo-3D graphics. FireRed graphics suit it much better than any fan-made tilesets would.
Responses in bold.
What does that have to do with anything?
Just because there has been made official Remakes, doesen't mean that you should give up on making some new one.
Even though there has been made R/B/G remakes, they still keep popping in.

I think the current tiles are gonna fit this better than any other ugly tiles.
Perfect responses. Just perfect.
I came up with a cool idea. You should implement all the beta stuff they never had in the finals- Music, Safari Zone, and such. Find some here, here, and here.

Songs:
Spoiler:

Just a simple suggestion. :D This looks really good as is, and I hope to play it when there is a bit more playability, like Cianwood City or such.
Oh, don't worry, that's going to happen. Just, maybe not in Kanto or Johto. ;)
Also, Unused Track 3 is already in use (minus drums)! Check the PCC.
But, quick poll: Would you guys rather have the Kanto Safari Zone re-opened (overused idea) or a new one in the Sevii Isles?

Last edited:

MaX Kazuki

The QZ
Years
Sevii Isles? :o maybe its a better idea :D u wanna make it as accurate as the G/S/C and the old safari zone should remain closed :)
and question, will u make the date system ? and the days too?
coz there's some specific events happen on certain day (like wednesday, a guy appear outside goldenrod city offering flamethrower, thunderbolt and ice beam with coin as payment)
and the national park event too...

Sierraffinity

Years
New one in the Sevii Isles. Always wanted a "special" reason to go to the Isles. So, +1 for Sevii Isles
Okay then! Nice to hear your vote.
Sevii Isles? :o maybe its a better idea :D u wanna make it as accurate as the G/S/C and the old safari zone should remain closed :)
and question, will u make the date system ? and the days too?
coz there's some specific events happen on certain day (like wednesday, a guy appear outside goldenrod city offering flamethrower, thunderbolt and ice beam with coin as payment)
and the national park event too...
I got your vote too.
So, that's +3 for Sevii... Why 3? Because I voted for there too ;)
Also, the reason that the day of week isn't in here is, well, because Emerald didn't have it. :(

MaX Kazuki

The QZ
Years
hmmm then how u gonna do the national park event (bug catching) ? :I
oh maybe u can make it once a day (regardless of what day it is :p)
and the same goes to the guy offering the moves :)

where can i check the time in the game? there's only a clock in the game it's at my house....or maybe can u set the clock in the PokeGear? :D

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Sweet!
That's a really handy bit of ASM work there.
And, since I like getting everything done as early as possible in development, maybe we can figure something out now. PM me. :)

No thanks. One, I haven't quite finished it yet. Two, it's not really necessary until you get to Kanto. While you're working towards completing Johto, I'll work on my side of the project. I'll let you know when I think I've made a more finished product.

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
Years
Hmm...

I appreciate your dedication and I love your work thus far.
The beta is quite enjoyable.

My main concern is that it doesn't offer much beyond the usual remake of G/S.
I mean, Shiny Gold was a Gold Remake with a few bits here and there.
Crystal Shards was a G/S/C remake with lots of extras thrown in.

There's other remakes out there that also offer a complete recreation of G/S.

My main concern is that it's just G/S with better graphics with the possible addition of the Sevii Islands (which is awesome).
Which is what HG/SS gave us. Not entirely a complete recreation but it gave us G/S with better graphics and one or two new features.

Nevertheless, I will continue to play this when you release further betas/the full game.
GOOD LUCK WITH IT!

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2011
I've played your hack up to the first cave(Ran into a glitch). So, I guess I should give you a review.

Things I liked
  • The fact that the door in Bellsprout Tower was animated.
  • How closely everything is matched to the original G/S/C
  • The scripts are very well done.
  • Hoenn Pokemon in the grass. <3
Things I disliked
  • The Night palletes, you can edit them in the D/N tool you're using.
  • The high encounter rate for Pidgeys. Almost every. Single. One. Was a Pidgey.
  • No night pokemon(I'm sure you'll fix this.)
  • The fact that there might not be much variation from original G/S/C to this.
Bugs / Glitches / Oddities
  • In the PokeGear, the prof. is named Birch, not Elm.
Spoiler:

• And now, the one that stopped me from playing further. This glitch switched me with the nurse from the PokeCenter before the cave that links Violet to Azalea(Spelling?) Town. As in, I'm behind the counter with a discolored sprite, and my original sprite is on the other side of the counter. Also, note that pressing start and looking at your Pokemon will revert your sprite back to the original, but you'll still be behind the counter. I've taken screenies of both.
Spoiler:

• Sometimes, when entering a building at night, the pallete switches to day for a brief moment then reverts.
Now, I'm completely sure you can fix the first one. However, I have no idea as to how to fix the second. But, you're Diego. You can probably do it.

Suggestions
  • Change the Night part of the D/N System. I feel as if it's just a tiiiiny bit too bright.
  • Lower the Pidgey encounter rate. They drove me insane. xD
  • The first route, the building that leads to the route that connects Blackthorn City with the first route, can you do something about the Pokemon there? I went in expecting a lvl 3 Geodude or something and caught a level 13 Marill by accident. o_O (Sorry I'm not giving specific Route names. I can't remember them.)
  • In Bellsprout Tower, could you slightly darken the pallete to the floor tile? It seems too bright to me.
  • If it's possible, could you make it so music changes with night and day? Like, normal music during the day and kind of slower, softer music at night? I think it'd be a nice little feature to make this hack kind of more unique.
Comments
  • Loads of people are saying that this is pointless because we already have G/S/C remakes. However, HG/SS are games I didn't particularly like. They didn't give me the same nostalgic feel I seemed to have while I played this. I thank you for bringing back my childhood memories of playing this game outside on the porch on my Gameboy color until the sun set and I had to go inside and play with regular lights. Or the memory of my parents driving to Connecticut and I made them buy a flashlight so I could play my Gold version at night. Don't give up Diego. Make this better than HG/SS. I know you can do it.
  • Fix the bugs. ;]
Well, that's all I can think to say. I hope you take all of this into consideration, as I think this'll help your hack. Or, if you throw it all out the window, I completely understand your point of view.

Cheers,
-- Anselection

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
Years
FireRed graphics suit it much better than any fan-made tilesets would.

I was talking about a different thing.

I said that Johto should look at least a bit different from Kanto. For example, the houses in the towns should have their own designs, so that they don't look exactly the same as the houses in some town in Kanto.

Also, I think that the look of trees, signs, Gyms etc. should look different between Kanto and Johto, as it did in GSC. That's my concern here.

In GSC, where you went to Kanto, you really felt that you're in a different region, as it had different tileset. No fan remake I've seen so far has kept this feeling.

And I think that the designs for buildings and the like should be made from scratch, based on those from HGSS (so, for example, houses in Violet City are wooden with violet roof etc.) but they should be made in overall FRLG graphic style (as I said, I hate mimicking NDS graphic style in GBA hacks).

Sierraffinity

Years
hmmm then how u gonna do the national park event (bug catching) ? :I
oh maybe u can make it once a day (regardless of what day it is :p)
and the same goes to the guy offering the moves :)

where can i check the time in the game? there's only a clock in the game it's at my house....or maybe can u set the clock in the PokeGear? :D
Maybe, but not likely.
Also, the clock will probably go into the PokéGear, yes, once I figure out how.
No thanks. One, I haven't quite finished it yet. Two, it's not really necessary until you get to Kanto. While you're working towards completing Johto, I'll work on my side of the project. I'll let you know when I think I've made a more finished product.
Okay then, thanks.
Hmm...

I appreciate your dedication and I love your work thus far.
The beta is quite enjoyable.

My main concern is that it doesn't offer much beyond the usual remake of G/S.
I mean, Shiny Gold was a Gold Remake with a few bits here and there.
Crystal Shards was a G/S/C remake with lots of extras thrown in.

There's other remakes out there that also offer a complete recreation of G/S.

My main concern is that it's just G/S with better graphics with the possible addition of the Sevii Islands (which is awesome).
Which is what HG/SS gave us. Not entirely a complete recreation but it gave us G/S with better graphics and one or two new features.

Nevertheless, I will continue to play this when you release further betas/the full game.
GOOD LUCK WITH IT!
Well, it is, after all, probably the most accurate and best scripted GSC remake.
Mine will have a lot of extras, but only after the GSC section of it because, well, I don't want to change too much from the original storyline.
I've played your hack up to the first cave(Ran into a glitch). So, I guess I should give you a review.

Things I liked
  • The fact that the door in Bellsprout Tower was animated. Sweet, thanks.
  • How closely everything is matched to the original G/S/C Thanks. :D
  • The scripts are very well done. Again, thanks. :P
  • Hoenn Pokemon in the grass. <3 Tha- wait, wait, what? That's a glitch.
Things I disliked
  • The Night palletes, you can edit them in the D/N tool you're using. I tried, and that's as dark as they get. :/
  • The high encounter rate for Pidgeys. Almost every. Single. One. Was a Pidgey. CD has the same exact encounter rates as Crystal...
  • No night pokemon(I'm sure you'll fix this.) As soon as a stable system comes in for Emerald, then yes. ;)
  • The fact that there might not be much variation from original G/S/C to this. Wait, let me get this straight... YOu said you liked it because how close it was to GSC, and then you say you dislike it for the same reason? :?
Bugs / Glitches / Oddities
  • In the PokeGear, the prof. is named Birch, not Elm. Well, Elm never does give you your Pokédex rating... As soon as Gamer2020 releases his PokéNav editor (if he ever does XD) that'll be fixed. I could change it to Oak right now, but what would Elm's number be? :/
Spoiler:

• And now, the one that stopped me from playing further. This glitch switched me with the nurse from the PokeCenter before the cave that links Violet to Azalea(Spelling?) Town. As in, I'm behind the counter with a discolored sprite, and my original sprite is on the other side of the counter. Also, note that pressing start and looking at your Pokemon will revert your sprite back to the original, but you'll still be behind the counter. I've taken screenies of both. Dang. :/ I thought I'd fixed all of these... Well, it's fixed now, and I've uploaded the fixed patch, so you can finally progress onto Azalea Town and Goldenrod City. :D
Spoiler:

• Sometimes, when entering a building at night, the pallete switches to day for a brief moment then reverts. D/N system glitch, I can't fix it. :/
Now, I'm completely sure you can fix the first one. However, I have no idea as to how to fix the second. But, you're Diego. You can probably do it. Sadly, I can't fix the second one.

Suggestions
  • Change the Night part of the D/N System. I feel as if it's just a tiiiiny bit too bright. D/N system limitation.
  • Lower the Pidgey encounter rate. They drove me insane. xD The Pidgeys are the same as in Crystal.
  • The first route, the building that leads to the route that connects Blackthorn City with the first route, can you do something about the Pokemon there? I went in expecting a lvl 3 Geodude or something and caught a level 13 Marill by accident. o_O (Sorry I'm not giving specific Route names. I can't remember them.) Yeah, this was a mistake on my part. I accidentally forgot to change the Pokémon on Route 46 when I mapped it. Fixed and uploaded.
  • In Bellsprout Tower, could you slightly darken the pallete to the floor tile? It seems too bright to me.
  • If it's possible, could you make it so music changes with night and day? Like, normal music during the day and kind of slower, softer music at night? I think it'd be a nice little feature to make this hack kind of more unique. Possibly, if I can get someone to do remixes like that.
Comments
  • Loads of people are saying that this is pointless because we already have G/S/C remakes. However, HG/SS are games I didn't particularly like. They didn't give me the same nostalgic feel I seemed to have while I played this. I thank you for bringing back my childhood memories of playing this game outside on the porch on my Gameboy color until the sun set and I had to go inside and play with regular lights. Or the memory of my parents driving to Connecticut and I made them buy a flashlight so I could play my Gold version at night. Don't give up Diego. Make this better than HG/SS. I know you can do it. :D:D:D:D
  • Fix the bugs. ;] Don't worry, (big) problems solved.
Well, that's all I can think to say. I hope you take all of this into consideration, as I think this'll help your hack. Or, if you throw it all out the window, I completely understand your point of view. Why would I ever do that? (well, why would I do that before I turned 16, at least? I am only 13, you know!)

Cheers,
-- Anselection
Responses in bold.
Nice long review there, too!
+1 for Sevii Islands!! You would be completely remapping it, not just changing the warps or something?
Well, that's what I have planned. Just changing the warps would be stupid. :P
Another +1 vote for it to be in the Sevii Islands.

Also, agreed that the night is just a wee bit too bright.
Well, I guess it's unanimous then. :D
And, like I told Anselection above, it's a D/N system limitation.
I was talking about a different thing.

I said that Johto should look at least a bit different from Kanto. For example, the houses in the towns should have their own designs, so that they don't look exactly the same as the houses in some town in Kanto.

Also, I think that the look of trees, signs, Gyms etc. should look different between Kanto and Johto, as it did in GSC. That's my concern here.

In GSC, where you went to Kanto, you really felt that you're in a different region, as it had different tileset. No fan remake I've seen so far has kept this feeling.

And I think that the designs for buildings and the like should be made from scratch, based on those from HGSS (so, for example, houses in Violet City are wooden with violet roof etc.) but they should be made in overall FRLG graphic style (as I said, I hate mimicking NDS graphic style in GBA hacks).
I like and see what you're saying... until you get to the last paragraph. No, I won't be copying the buildings/trees from HG/SS because, if I did do your idea, then I think that fan-created ones would suit it much better.

But yeah, that might be something I do when I get to Johto... and maybe Sevii too. :D

Last edited:

aSeRo141414

zZJoennZz inside
Years
Looks good so far, well it's totally looks like Crystal because it's base is Emerald and it's animated, I know there's a animation in fire red but in emerald will be more good. :D I will play this later.. :D

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2011
The Hoenn pokemon were encountered the same spot as the Marill. I only found a Poochyena and a Illumise in there. Also, what I meant by not much variation was that you must make this game yours. Yes, nail it as close to G/S/C as humanly possible, but also throw in your own ideas in there in some places. Be it a rival, an extra area, etc. Regarding the PokeGear, you should change it to Oak. And Prof. Elm should be in there for when he calls you after Mr. Pokemon's house, the first Gym, etc. etc. He could also be there to give you helpful hints in between these events.

Back