• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HeartGold hack: Pokémon DarkViolet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2019
Yes, but I want it animated. If the feature is there, I'm sure as he'll gonna use it.

Besides, I'm gonna have to figure out how to do it anyway, because don't forget that the player has a backsprite too.

Try with Tile Molester. I have edited most of the graphics of Diamond (including the backsprite) with it and it works pretty well with DS graphics.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I can test it. I'll verify compatibility with flashcards for you. (Well, Acekard anyways...)
I've already said I don't need a tester.

I know a guy on YouTube who can edit those frames. Just ask him :D
That's not frame editing. That's file Copy+Pasting straight from Platinum, which is very easy. There's not a single video with edited custom frames.

metalflygon08

BIG PECKS
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2016
I don't think realeasing the alpha with unchanged sprites would be a bad idea, it would atleast sate everyone's bloodlust for a while, until they hunger again...

Anywho I found several tutorials for editing the non-animated sprites via youtube, but nothing on the animated ones. We need a pokeDSpic HGSS now!

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Since I'm not really working on this much anymore due to not being able to do exactly what I want, here's an alpha:
http://www.mediafire.com/?as7yybl8gnksrve

It's a UPS patch, so that's why it's really big. I don't know of any other DS patching files.

Oddities:
*Oak's lab assistants have the same HG/SS dialogue
*Daisy has the same HG/SS dialogue
*All battle sprites are unchanged
*For some reason it plays the Johto wild battle music

robxu9

Shadowed Warrior
Years
Since I'm not really working on this much anymore due to not being able to do exactly what I want, here's an alpha:
<link died here because of PokeCommunity's 15+post rule>

It's a UPS patch, so that's why it's really big. I don't know of any other DS patching files.

Oddities:
*Oak's lab assistants have the same HG/SS dialogue
*Daisy has the same HG/SS dialogue
*All battle sprites are unchanged
*For some reason it plays the Johto wild battle music

Like the bad pun. :P
The fact that you have to warp from New Bark Town to Pallet Town, thought, doesn't seem ideal :( DS hacking still has a long way to go, eh?

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
Will you be continuing the GBA games then or not?

I dont think he is :)
By the time he finishes Dark Violet there will be a Ds map editor for sure
and he can make his emerald remake :P

anyway
The alpha was okayy ... :D i didnt get far to judge much my emulator is slow >_<

Years
If you'd like me to make you a Fanbar It'd be my honor :D

userbarorangetest.png

^^ Example^^

NatureKeeper

It's nice to see a fellow Gen IV hacker...
For some reason PPRE doesn't save my text edits. :\
Though I guess you'll have to manage through the whole process of editing the Kanto region to be like to old video games. The most important problem would be the Pokémon Tower. Any plans on how to do that?

Joey's Rattata

Top Percentage
Years
I noticed a few minor problems.

1) After I beat Blue, I went to talk to Red's Mom. Except... she didn't offer to heal my Pokemon. Might want to fix that, as there is currently no way to heal. ):

2) After beating Blue and heading back to the lab, Blue has... mysteriously teleported back there. (He still gives the same speech as before. "My Pokemon looks a lot tougher than yours.")

3) After choosing your Pokemon, Professor Oak still gives the same speech about "which one will you choose". This remains after beating Blue.

Great alpha other than that, although quite short. Are you planning on adding the playability of Leaf soon, or is that further down the list of "to do's"?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Well, I'll have to find another rom then. I can't seem to get it working at all.

EDIT: Ok. I finally have a rom that patches. yay... TBH, I'm very impressed by this demo.The gameplay is quite smooth for such a less-hacked game, and I can sense some parts of the plot. To make it cool, you should make the GB Sounds accessible early on in the game to make it a bit more authentic. I wouldn't mind helping in developing this. I'll try and help you in inserting the custom frames. Let me look into it. But, I'd need your approval first to help you, of course.
Thanks for the feedback, you can definitely help, but some things in the alpha like Oak saying the wrong stuff when you're done choosing a Pokemon and the lack of a Pokemart employee on Route 1 is due to my laziness. I don't feel like working on this until more documentation on things like flags, special functions, music, and of course animated trainer sprites is available. I found out that PPRE doesn't even compile some scripts correctly, which is why some existing scripts will freeze even if you don't edit them. Also, it's really annoying to script without a visual reference, and it's impossible to change map music in HG/SS. And not only that, but a few months ago I tried changing the order of the Johto dex, and it just glitches up the Pokedex.

So pretty much, I don't feel like working on this because I can't do the awesome things that made the GBA DarkViolet an epic game (IMO).

And for all the people saying, "how will you do Mt. Moon/S.S. Anne/Pokemon Tower/Silph Co./Cinnabar", there is no way I'm going to implement a work around. A map editor will be needed in order to complete this hack.

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2011
Newfag here...>.> How exactly do I apply this patch? I got a Soul Silver fresh ROM (because I own Soul Silver) but I when I go to apply the patch to it I keep getting a checksum error.

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
how far along is this hack? i don't wanna cream my shorts and walk into a brick wall about 20 minutes into playing

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2011
Way much harder. But I find it quite exceptional what he is doing so far. I'm trying to learn this stuff now and it's already making me dizzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back