• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts on the Sinnoh Saga

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 5, 2016
In about fifteen minutes from me posting this thread, the final episode in Sinnoh will air. As we head on to Unova, what do think about Sinnoh. Was it good? Was it Bad? Whhat was your favorite pokemon?

Guy

just a guy
Years
Going to shift this over to the main board, rather than here in Episode Discussion. I just finished watching the final DP episode, so I'll be back to give my review of Sinnoh later.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
I'm suprised no one else has posted in this thread, seeing as DP is now over.

Well... It had it's up and downs really, but I have to say I really enjoyed this saga.
We got to meet Dawn, some cool storylines and characters i'll never forget.

I wasn't too happy about how sinnoh was handled in some perspectives. I thought it dragged on for way too long, taking up a whole 4 years. And really, it has no need to. It took around 50 episodes for Ash to travel from snowpoint city to getting his Sunnyshore badge - that's enough episodes for a whole series, not necessary at all if you ask me.

One of my favourite things about Sinnoh were the Characters. I really loved a lot of the characters introduced in the anime, including a very favourite of mine, Paul - An amazing and engaging character. He was a bit messed up when it came to pokémon but it also showed how serious the anime could be and every trainer was different in their own way. I also enjoyed characters such as Conway (Perv), Nando (A very interesting character, wish we could have had a bit more backstory) Zoey (I really cool and talented rival, I loved her), and of course Barry (One of my most favourite rivals, he was so funny).

The Pokémon were also another reason why I loved this series. There was some really fun, wacky and serious storylines including Chimchar's sad past with paul... I also know a lot of people found Piplup a bit annoying, I actually found it very funny. Like when it got hit all the time by Draco Meteor. Which brings me to another favourite, Togekiss. Although it was a late addition, it was a very cool and elegant Pokémon, I liked how it didn't like how Gibles attacks kept hitting Piplup, so it hit Draco Meteor straight back at Ash and Gible, which actually showed how it's species were caring - including when it gave Piplup and Pikachu and hug in the Final episode. A few other of my favourites include; Gliscor, Buizel, Amipom, Buneary, Infernape and Brock's Chansey. :3

So yeah, overall - Loved it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I like the Sinnoh saga because of how Ash, Dawn and Brock interacted with each other. I also liked Team Galactic's plot and how Ash faced off against 2 legendary Pokemon in the Sinnoh League.

GlalieX

Ruler of Illusion
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2012
The plot development in story was, in my opinion, very good throughout the Sinnoh Saga. A few more fillers and the like I could have done without, but overall I thought it was great.

MysticFlygon

Rookie Hacker
Years
I'll keep it short and say that Sinnoh started off really slow but when the voices somehow got better it really picked up and ended in a great way. It was a great four years and I didn't think it'd be so hard to see it end.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
The Sinnoh region wasn't that bad to be honest. The plot with Team Galactic was something that I enjoyed and wished it was longer. Ash had some good rivals and so did Dawn. I miss DP series.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
Years
Personally, I thought the start was quite good because it seemed a bit different to Hoenn (which is my favourite saga) then it seemed to drag on a bit. However, the battles were some of the best yet (e.g. Ash & Paul's full battle and their league battle) especially with the introduction of abilities and more extravagant variations on how moves are used.

..so yeah overall quite liked it :)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I liked Sinnoh as much as I loved Hoenn =) Sinnoh was somehow different from other arcs, Satoshi was really great in final part of Sinnoh, just like he was in Hoenn.
Also yesterday when I watched DP special it really reminded me how DP arc was special.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
When the Sinnoh saga first started off I believe they had a marathon? It was sometime during the beginning of June. I started to like it until they exploited Piplup and Dawn. And they began to get on my nerves. I watched all the way until Ash's gym battle against Paul (6v6), and then comcast got rid of Cartoonnetwork and I was unable to watch it for a few months. Then I tuned in for the last 2 episodes of the saga and I was happy that it was finally over. Overall I wasn't too fond of it, maybe cause I missed about 20 episodes, but there was no need for it to take 4 years to finish it.

Hmm, I didnt even get to see the episode with Dialga and Palkia vs. Team Galatic. I'll probably watch that sometime today....

kamrald

Banned
Years
  • Seen Feb 17, 2011
I believe that the saga has been strong, according to the standards Pokemon, especially as regards global history and continuity. I liked the history of rivalries and Paul Ash Infernape and commitment to this. I liked the action-packed battles and episodes of high stakes such as those involving Hunter J. And on paper, I thought a lot of ideas that came Arch competitive great.But Dawn was on the other hand, I thought I was weak in terms of characterization, interaction and dialogue for the main characters in the series.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Of course there were good and bad parts. Good parts like Paul and Ursula and there were bad parts such as when the trainers sent out their Pokemon the throwing of the Pokeball animation was a lot worse than that of previous seasons and the boring fillers. But overall it was still entertaining.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
Years
  • Seen Aug 13, 2016
I loved this saga

Pros: Pearlshipping, Dawn, Paul/Ash's rivalry, Barry, Barry/Ash's rivalry, all of Ash's Pokemon were cool and you got to see. I kind of liked Dawn/Zoey's rivalry was ok and I really liked Ursala {Think I spelt that name wrong} Wish she was added early, she was a great rival for Dawn. OF course the Hunter J/Ash storyline. Jessie's contest arc was pretty fun, she didn't even cheat this time.

Cons: Kenny, worst rival of Dawn's ever, always getting jealous of Ash and telling Dawn to choose I mean gese. Than the contests weren't that great this year, some were ok.

Over all, a fun saga one of my favorites.

WaterSplash

Common
Years
I'll miss Brock, he was a very well developed supporting character. I'll also miss the theme songs :P.

But, on topic, I think they finally gave Ash a good rival in Paul the likes of which we haven't seen since Gary Oak became a softie. A few other interesting plot points and a great team of Pokémon all around made the DP saga one of the greater ones in my opinion.

zlip

______
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2013
god until snowpoiint. really 40 episodes just to get to the sunnyshore? thats a whole season not one walk to a gym!

Kendosis

Gym Leader
Years
I hated sinnoh, it is probably the only region that I don't know every pokemon in it.

Cooker

As free as my hair
Years
Honestly, I haven't watched probably half of the episodes. But I just want to point out how awesome Barry was. His personality was refreshing and comical, and he just had a cool design to him, and I loved his voice. I thought the Counter Sheilds [or whatever Ash called them] were pretty cool actually, but most of the battles were kind of boring and predictable -glares at Dawn-

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
I feel so sad, I barely watched the Sinnoh saga. This could be partially attributed to me losing interest in it half-way through, then CN changing the time slot to friggin' 6 a.m., or 6:30 whichever it was. I suppose I could have just watched online.

The saga did seem to drag on forever though, much longer than Hoenn. I would say I was rather dissappointed that Dawn's piplup never evolved. That is the most upsetting of the Sinnoh saga for me.

Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2013
I really liked the Team Galactic plot. It was organized fairly well so that each smaller event such as Iron Island contributed to the larger plans. Plus, it was cool to see Cyrus interact with the party prior to the finale.

I also liked the introduction of Hunter J. I feel that she fit in well as an independent source of recurring evil that lacked Team Rocket's incompetence. Though I admit that I would've expected the writers to emphasize more on the differences between the party and J, as her apathy towards humans and Pokemon alike separates her from most other characters.

The rivals were also unique, with deeper qualities than those in previous seasons- for instance, Hoenn. Paul in particular made a good rival to Ash in that they had some many conflicting values. Nando was a unique fellow, participating in both contest and trainer battles. I also liked seeing Zoe's change in character over time, as well as seeing her past in Snowpoint. I do miss Harley though; he was a very flamboyant and sneaky character.

However, I feel that the writers failed to align the series' climax properly. I felt that the climax was in Galactic Battles. The English theme seemed to suggest the quest reaching its ending, which I thought fit well with the rapid approach to the Mt. Coronet finale. However, afterwards they had a whole season that lacked few extra plot elements outside of the Grand Festival and Sinnoh League. There were a couple things to do beforehand, suchas the Sunnyshore badge and Dawn's second battle against Ursula, but it was clear that the season was dominated by the Grand Festival and Sinnoh League. I did enjoy the competitions in each, especially the interesting tactics used. However, there was not much else outside of those battles to keep me interested.

I was hoping that J or Charon would make a reappearance as a last challenge to the heroes. After all, their departures were left rather open: J was sucked into the Lake Trio whirlpool, which was said to be a portal to the Lake Trio's dimension, while Charon mysteriously vanished after Team Galactic's arrest. Either would have added more plot to Sinnoh League Victors. Plus, their exits lacked closure with the party: J disappeared without a final battle against the heroes, while Charon, who had obvious ulterior motives, never revealed or acted on them.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
It was quite enjoyable in many moments. However, as the series went on I liked Dawn less and less (unlike the majority of people who I've noticed seem to go the other way). But then again, part of that was my problem with Piplup. I mean, is there any need to add a Bubblebeam with Pikachu's Thunderbolt to blast off Team Rocket? Thunderbolt was an over-used cliché anyway, but at least it looked cool.

Yes, there were way too many fillers, however some of them were good (the pointless release of Ambipom did at least make for an entertaining episode).

Other characters were generally good too. Khoury and Lyra were quite good, particularly when his Totodile and a wild Gible were smashing bricks on their heads - I actually feel off my chair with that one, I'm slightly ashamed to say. Paul was cool, a good contrast with Barry, who would've become rapidly annoying if he hadn't been excluded for so long. The whole "hey, it's Paul" scene every time they saw him was annoying, but meh - Brandon's quite obviously his relative, did you see how similar they acted? Brandon's been overcome with rage too, when he got angry with Ash in Battle Frontier, just like Paul whilst battling Brandon.

Chimchar's storyline was much better than Charizard's, and the higher quality of animation meant that I actually preferred Infernape (although if Charizard ever returns for another battling with a dragon / legendary, I will definitely be happy), Torterra was tragic, but another pokémon I liked, so who cares. In general, I liked Ash's pokémon, even Staraptor, who was luckily a lot different from Swellow.

I also thought the league was handled very well. Not only did Ash bring in more pokémon (alike to the Silver Conference), he also defeated his rival in an epic battle that, for once, was actually entertaining in all three episodes. The addition of new techniques, and much more focus on game mechanics such as Trick Room, Toxic Spikes and unique moves such as Sleep Talk (Heracross would've taken out Fantina in five minutes) made it all the more interesting. Tobias was a good move, because honestly, the calibre of Ash's pokémon, such as Sceptile, Infernape, Pikachu and Gible (his Draco Meteor would've probably felled Latios if he hadn't been taken out by Darkrai), meant that nothing other than a team of legendaries could defeat him without much disappointment and some n00bishness on Ash's behalf. The fact that Sceptile, which along with Infernape and Gible is one of my favourite pokémon ever to appear in the anime, was shown at his best was the icing on top of the cake for me. Parallels with the Silver Conference were good, i.e. Infernape overheating the battlefield, and the defeat of a rival - not so much for nostalgia, as I only really saw the end of some Johto episodes, not league ones, but more for it being the right formula.

Did I mention the quality of the animation? Particularly in Sinnoh League Victors, where it looked so much clearer than ever before, this was brilliant. Advance was good, a major step up from Johto and Kanto, but SLV and onwards is brilliant. Little details such as that white backgrounded small-character bit between Infernape and Electivire were just brilliant, a lot more effort than is really needed for what is, essentially, a children's t.v. show aimed at advertising the games.

Jesus, this is a large post. Sorry about the wall of text. Conclusively, whilst the amount of fillers and contests (the announcer lady's voice irritates me) were obscene, overall the quality of everything was quite good, and as it's the only saga I've watched as it happened (excluding a catch-up of the whole first Diamond and Pearl series), and it was thoroughly enjoyable to watch. So much that, in the end, I decided to watch Black and White after all :)

Back