• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I was thinking of Archeops, its ability makes it scream "glass cannon", but, I love glass cannons... Also, Ferrothorn's abysmal speed stat makes me wary of using it =I

Gyro Ball ;D Take advantage of that low speed. And its defenses are high enough that it can take a few hits, the only real threat to it is Fire because of the 4x weakness. And with the Iron Barbs ability and Rocky Helmet, it can take a ton of hits while chipping away at the opponent's HP.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
A Cottonee just used cotton guard and it says it's defenses are raised drasticly. What does that mean ? :S

It means that the stat Defense was raised 3 stages, which is a 2.5x bonus.

Years
For my Scrafty, should I be running Hi Jump Kick/Brick Break/Crunch/Dragon Dance, or should I have Focus Punch somewhere in there?

Years
I have another question. I tought my Pokemon alot of TM/HM moves before the E4 rematch so that I can increase my chances of winning.

It's that for example: on my first run of the E4, I used Cloudy (my Whismcott) against Jellicent since it was grass. I also gave it Shadow Ball because ghost moves were effective against ghost. But it's not as effective as his Energy ball. So for the second round, when that Pokemon came out, I brought out Amy Rose (my Gothitelle) because she has both Shadow ball and Thunderbolt. But she doesn't do as much damage as Cloudy. And she's 3 levels higher than him. And darnit, ELECTRIC BEATS WATER!!!! AHH! But she gets Ko'd by the same move she has, Shadow Ball.

Why?

Same with Brick Break when I battled my Rival and his Lepard. When Silver (my Emboroar) does it, it does the trick, but when Amy does it, it does minimum damage and she gets killed by that night attack.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I have another question. I tought my Pokemon alot of TM/HM moves before the E4 rematch so that I can increase my chances of winning.

It's that for example: on my first run of the E4, I used Cloudy (my Whismcott) against Jellicent since it was grass. I also gave it Shadow Ball because ghost moves were effective against ghost. But it's not as effective as his Energy ball. So for the second round, when that Pokemon came out, I brought out Amy Rose (my Gothitelle) because she has both Shadow ball and Thunderbolt. But she doesn't do as much damage as Cloudy. And she's 3 levels higher than him. And darnit, ELECTRIC BEATS WATER!!!! AHH! But she gets Ko'd by the same move she has, Shadow Ball.

Why?

Same with Brick Break when I battled my Rival and his Lepard. When Silver (my Emboroar) does it, it does the trick, but when Amy does it, it does minimum damage and she gets killed by that night attack.

Actually, those two situations aren't the same :P While Amy in theory should have a higher Special Attack than Cloudy, it doesn't always happen that way. Based on the IVs, the secret stats that determine general growth, and EVs, the secret stats that you can influence by who you battle, Cloudy may just end up with a higher Special Attack stat, and therefore the move will do more damage.

Emboar and Amy doing Brick Break is different. Emboar's base Attack is 123, while Amy's is 55. In addition, Emboar has STAB (same-type attack bonus, the bonus damage for using a move that he's typed as), while Amy does not, so it should do much more damage.

Years

Actually, those two situations aren't the same :P While Amy in theory should have a higher Special Attack than Cloudy, it doesn't always happen that way. Based on the IVs, the secret stats that determine general growth, and EVs, the secret stats that you can influence by who you battle, Cloudy may just end up with a higher Special Attack stat, and therefore the move will do more damage.

Emboar and Amy doing Brick Break is different. Emboar's base Attack is 123, while Amy's is 55. In addition, Emboar has STAB (same-type attack bonus, the bonus damage for using a move that he's typed as), while Amy does not, so it should do much more damage.
Oh. However, electric moves should be able to kill water pokemon easily. I looked up in Attack for my Gothitelle and it says that it's 144.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
Years
Oh. However, electric moves should be able to kill water pokemon easily. I looked up in Attack for my Gothitelle and it says that it's 144.

Thunderbolt uses special attack, I'm not really sure why you would want very high attack on a Gothitelle anyway... Their special attack base stat is nearly twice as high.

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2013

Why?

Another reason your Cloudy's Energy Ball is so effective is STAB - Same Type Attack Bonus. If the move you're using matches the type of Pokemon using it, the move gets a 1.5x bonus. Energy Ball & Shadow Ball have the same base power, so having the STAB makes Energy Ball stronger. Now, Jellicent is x2 weak to both grass and ghost. So it breaks down kinda like this:

Shadow Ball: Base 80 x2 Weakness = 160 power
Energy Ball: Base 80 x2 Weakness x1.5 STAB = 240 power <- STRONGER

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
Years
Have a question about Mienshao:

Was thinking of restarting and using this pokemon in my team, but I'm not sure if I should try to get one with adamant nature, neutral nature, or a modest nature...
Would it be worth balancing out it's attack and sp.attack to make use of Aura Sphere, or since it is rather limited in it's sp. attack learnset just go with adamant and forget Aura Sphere?

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2012
I've currently got an Eelektrik with Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, Crunch, and Acrobatics. Should I keep Thunderbolt and get Acid Spray to lower the foe's special defense two levels, or should I keep Thunder Wave and give him a physical Electric attack?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I've currently got an Eelektrik with Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, Crunch, and Acrobatics. Should I keep Thunderbolt and get Acid Spray to lower the foe's special defense two levels, or should I keep Thunder Wave and give him a physical Electric attack?
Well what's it's nature? Also which of it's stats is higher Attack or Special attack? if it's Attack then go for a physical move like Wild charge, if it's Special then keep Thunderbolt or teach it thunder instead.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Have a question about Mienshao:

Was thinking of restarting and using this pokemon in my team, but I'm not sure if I should try to get one with adamant nature, neutral nature, or a modest nature...
Would it be worth balancing out it's attack and sp.attack to make use of Aura Sphere, or since it is rather limited in it's sp. attack learnset just go with adamant and forget Aura Sphere?

The one I have is straight Adamant, it makes great use of the Hi Jump Kick. :x I love it.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
Years
The one I have is straight Adamant, it makes great use of the Hi Jump Kick. :x I love it.

Yeah I figured Adamant would be better... Aura Sphere is neat and all, but only Lucario has the right stats for it apparently...

Also, I have ANOTHER question type thing...
I'm planning on restarting my game, and am making an unorthodox team for this run, so far this is how I've planned it:
Mienshao - Physical
Venipede - Physical
Swanna - Mix
Chandelure - Special
Hydreigon - Special
Gothitelle - Special

Does this seem like a plausible/rational setup? (My lack of a grass type is because of my hatred for grass types... Also, I like colors.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back