The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking Research & Development
Research C-Gear Skins

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old April 12th, 2011 (5:43 AM).
Hi-Techneon's Avatar
Hi-Techneon Hi-Techneon is offline
     
    Join Date: Dec 2010
    Location: Belgium
    Age: 19
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Rash
    Posts: 228
    C-Gear Skins
    You probably know that the C-Gear has various skins. There's a Chillarmy skin, a Munna skin, a Pikachu skin, a Purrloin skin, an Audino skin, a Blastoise skin, etc.
    The current C-Gear skin is stored in the game's save file. This means that, through save file hacking, we can export and import custom skins to the save and use them. However, there's one problem. Of course, these skins aren't saved as a simple BMP, or a PNG, or a JPG. No, they're encrypted. If we could crack the encryption, we should be able to import and export our very own C-Gear skins and make the C-Gear even more personal.
    Skins are 256x192 pixels and have 16 colors.

    So let's all try to crack it and make the C-Gear more awesome than it already is!
    __________________

    VDex:
    White:
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old April 12th, 2011 (10:59 PM).
    Darthatron's Avatar
    Darthatron Darthatron is offline
    巨大なトロール。
    • Silver Tier
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Location: Melbourne, Australia
    Age: 25
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Modest
    Posts: 1,152
    Are you sure it's not just compressed with one of the DS compression functions?
    __________________
    あなた は しきしゃ です
    わたし は ばか です
    Reply With Quote
      #3    
    Old April 13th, 2011 (3:14 AM).
    Hi-Techneon's Avatar
    Hi-Techneon Hi-Techneon is offline
       
      Join Date: Dec 2010
      Location: Belgium
      Age: 19
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Rash
      Posts: 228
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
      Are you sure it's not just compressed with one of the DS compression functions?
      To be honest, no. Could you maybe show me all compression functions and allow me to try cracking it with those?
      __________________

      VDex:
      White:
      Reply With Quote
        #4    
      Old April 13th, 2011 (4:09 AM).
      Full Metal's Avatar
      Full Metal Full Metal is offline
      C(++) Developer.
      • Silver Tier
       
      Join Date: Jan 2008
      Location: In my mind.
      Age: 21
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Timid
      Posts: 805
      Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
      :offtopic
      Wouldn't this go in the R&D section?
      { on topic }
      Maybe GF got smart with us and started using a special type of encryption that uses a function in the games code to decrypt? ( just a thought )
      __________________

      ★ full metal.

      I like to push it,
      and push it,
      until my luck is over.
      Reply With Quote
        #5    
      Old April 13th, 2011 (6:33 AM).
      Hi-Techneon's Avatar
      Hi-Techneon Hi-Techneon is offline
         
        Join Date: Dec 2010
        Location: Belgium
        Age: 19
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Rash
        Posts: 228
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Full Metal View Post
        :offtopic
        Wouldn't this go in the R&D section?
        { on topic }
        Maybe GF got smart with us and started using a special type of encryption that uses a function in the games code to decrypt? ( just a thought )
        First of all, this is the R&D section
        Well, I don't think they can encrypt a picture in the save file that easily, and most encryptions increase in size, while this encryption decreases in size.
        __________________

        VDex:
        White:
        Reply With Quote
          #6    
        Old April 13th, 2011 (2:21 PM).
        Full Metal's Avatar
        Full Metal Full Metal is offline
        C(++) Developer.
        • Silver Tier
         
        Join Date: Jan 2008
        Location: In my mind.
        Age: 21
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Timid
        Posts: 805
        Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
        Hm...
        Well, first off, Sorry.
        I just woke up when I posted this. I thought it was in the toolbox... :
        ANYWAYS...yea, you make a pretty good point...
        except, why is the skin in the save file and not just a reference to the skin?
        I mean...that just seems stupid and inefficient.
        IDK, maybe that's just the C-programmer in me speaking...
        I think if we can figure that out we might be able to figure out a little more about this.
        ... maybe.
        __________________

        ★ full metal.

        I like to push it,
        and push it,
        until my luck is over.
        Reply With Quote
          #7    
        Old April 13th, 2011 (2:44 PM).
        Incineroar's Avatar
        Incineroar Incineroar is offline
        the spirit of the fighter
        • Moderator
        • Platinum Tier
        • Developer
         
        Join Date: May 2009
        Location: Iki Town
        Age: 22
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Brave
        Posts: 13,336
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Full Metal View Post
        Hm...
        Well, first off, Sorry.
        I just woke up when I posted this. I thought it was in the toolbox... :
        ANYWAYS...yea, you make a pretty good point...
        except, why is the skin in the save file and not just a reference to the skin?
        I mean...that just seems stupid and inefficient.
        IDK, maybe that's just the C-programmer in me speaking...
        I think if we can figure that out we might be able to figure out a little more about this.
        ... maybe.
        I don't think it'd be built into the game, or else new skins couldn't be made.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #8    
        Old April 13th, 2011 (11:36 PM).
        Hi-Techneon's Avatar
        Hi-Techneon Hi-Techneon is offline
           
          Join Date: Dec 2010
          Location: Belgium
          Age: 19
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Rash
          Posts: 228
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
          I don't think it'd be built into the game, or else new skins couldn't be made.
          Yeah, that's why. How could they else put a Purrloin skin in Japan for download if another participant could have won with another design?
          __________________

          VDex:
          White:
          Reply With Quote
            #9    
          Old April 14th, 2011 (3:41 AM).
          pokewalker's Avatar
          pokewalker pokewalker is offline
          If it ain't Dutch,it ain'tmuch
          • Silver Tier
           
          Join Date: Jun 2010
          Location: Netherlands
          Age: 19
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 669
          Hmm.... I think, that when you acces GBL, new information is sent to the game overwriting the old skin. The old skin is then not in it anymore, but on the GBL, where all of them are available.
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #10    
          Old April 14th, 2011 (6:10 AM).
          Darthatron's Avatar
          Darthatron Darthatron is offline
          巨大なトロール。
          • Silver Tier
           
          Join Date: Jan 2006
          Location: Melbourne, Australia
          Age: 25
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Modest
          Posts: 1,152
          It's not unheard of. Square Enix use a variation of LZSS compression in FFTA, and it's all decompressed with a routine in the game.

          Why couldn't they use it? I don't understand your logic. They just send out a compressed image and decompress it when it's downloaded/saved/loaded/whatever.
          __________________
          あなた は しきしゃ です
          わたし は ばか です
          Reply With Quote
            #11    
          Old April 15th, 2011 (11:28 AM).
          Incineroar's Avatar
          Incineroar Incineroar is offline
          the spirit of the fighter
          • Moderator
          • Platinum Tier
          • Developer
           
          Join Date: May 2009
          Location: Iki Town
          Age: 22
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Brave
          Posts: 13,336
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Hi-Techneon View Post
          Yeah, that's why. How could they else put a Purrloin skin in Japan for download if another participant could have won with another design?
          Exactly. And the new Victini skin could back that up. But, it also seems that skins aren't region-locked. I didn't think they would, anyways.
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by pokewalker View Post
          Hmm.... I think, that when you acces GBL, new information is sent to the game overwriting the old skin. The old skin is then not in it anymore, but on the GBL, where all of them are available.
          Exactly. It's simply overwritten when new data is downloaded.
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
          It's not unheard of. Square Enix use a variation of LZSS compression in FFTA, and it's all decompressed with a routine in the game.

          Why couldn't they use it? I don't understand your logic. They just send out a compressed image and decompress it when it's downloaded/saved/loaded/whatever.
          I think that that situation applies here- we need to see that compression method. I'm going to look at my Black save and see what I can find, seeing as I have the Pikachu skin in it.
          __________________
          Reply With Quote
            #12    
          Old April 16th, 2011 (12:55 PM).
          Kaphotics Kaphotics is offline
          ♥ Quick Claw Guillotine ♥
             
            Join Date: Apr 2011
            Posts: 22
            Posting to let you all know about PokeStock's subprogram that allows you to edit the C-Gear skin of your save file.

            C-Gear skins are saved into the save file, with encryption as you already know. PokeCGear exports these (probably encrypted) skins in a format ".psk". Poke Skin or whatever. C-Gear skins are 256x192 pixels and can also be exported to bmp format.

            Over at Project Pokemon you can find this PokeStock and the translated version, in addition to the C-Gear Skin Exchange Thread where you can download past skins or upload new ones.

            C-Gear Skin Exchange Thread
            PokeStock Main Download Thread
            Kaarosu's Translations of the Subprograms Thread

            Hope this information helps in whatever you are trying to do
            Reply With Quote
              #13    
            Old April 16th, 2011 (2:13 PM).
            Incineroar's Avatar
            Incineroar Incineroar is offline
            the spirit of the fighter
            • Moderator
            • Platinum Tier
            • Developer
             
            Join Date: May 2009
            Location: Iki Town
            Age: 22
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Brave
            Posts: 13,336
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Kaphotics View Post
            Posting to let you all know about PokeStock's subprogram that allows you to edit the C-Gear skin of your save file.

            C-Gear skins are saved into the save file, with encryption as you already know. PokeCGear exports these (probably encrypted) skins in a format ".psk". Poke Skin or whatever. C-Gear skins are 256x192 pixels and can also be exported to bmp format.

            Over at Project Pokemon you can find this PokeStock and the translated version, in addition to the C-Gear Skin Exchange Thread where you can download past skins or upload new ones.

            C-Gear Skin Exchange Thread
            PokeStock Main Download Thread
            Kaarosu's Translations of the Subprograms Thread

            Hope this information helps in whatever you are trying to do
            This might just help. Can't wait to try it.
            __________________
            Reply With Quote
              #14    
            Old April 23rd, 2011 (2:32 AM).
            Hi-Techneon's Avatar
            Hi-Techneon Hi-Techneon is offline
               
              Join Date: Dec 2010
              Location: Belgium
              Age: 19
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Rash
              Posts: 228
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Kaphotics View Post
              Posting to let you all know about PokeStock's subprogram that allows you to edit the C-Gear skin of your save file.

              C-Gear skins are saved into the save file, with encryption as you already know. PokeCGear exports these (probably encrypted) skins in a format ".psk". Poke Skin or whatever. C-Gear skins are 256x192 pixels and can also be exported to bmp format.

              Over at Project Pokemon you can find this PokeStock and the translated version, in addition to the C-Gear Skin Exchange Thread where you can download past skins or upload new ones.

              C-Gear Skin Exchange Thread
              PokeStock Main Download Thread
              Kaarosu's Translations of the Subprograms Thread

              Hope this information helps in whatever you are trying to do
              This is useful, thanks alot. If we could find the way how it exports the PSK as a BMP, we could reverse it, exporting BMPs as PSKs and adding custom C-Gear Skins. I'll look into it
              __________________

              VDex:
              White:
              Reply With Quote
              Reply
              Quick Reply

              Sponsored Links
              Thread Tools

              Posting Rules
              You may not post new threads
              You may not post replies
              You may not post attachments
              You may not edit your posts

              BB code is On
              Smilies are On
              [IMG] code is On
              HTML code is Off

              Forum Jump


              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:27 AM.