Pokémon Strategies and Movesets Post your team lineups, get your team rated or rate other teams, talk about lineups, talk about moves/movesets, strategies, etc. For general talk about the games, go to the respective Pokémon game forums.

Draconius GO
 
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old April 17th, 2011 (9:10 AM).
ceremony's Avatar
ceremony ceremony is offline
rah rah
     
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Location: East Coast
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Bold
    Posts: 121
    Hey, I'm new to the whole "EV training" deal and once when I think I got it, it confuses me again. For example, my Solosis. I wanted one with high EVs in Special Attack.(Nature=Quiet. Good Endurance.)

    I fed it a lot of Calcium (10) and I went to check its stats in the Battle Subway. The guy said the best stat was defense, which was weird..

    I then used the IV calculator, and for IVs I got

    HP=19 A=14 D=28 SpA=14 SpD=14 Spd=14

    Now I'm a little curious as to how the change that/why is Defense so much higher when its nature is Quiet and I fed it Calcium.
    __________________


    Black = 3310-4621-6704
    Diamond = 1292-3359-4411

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old April 17th, 2011 (9:16 AM).
    Perriechu's Avatar
    Perriechu Perriechu is offline
    no more sad songs
    • Gold Tier
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Location: England
    Age: 21
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Modest
    Posts: 4,109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ceremony View Post
    Hey, I'm new to the whole "EV training" deal and once when I think I got it, it confuses me again. For example, my Solosis. I wanted one with high EVs in Special Attack.(Nature=Quiet. Good Endurance.)

    I fed it a lot of Calcium (10) and I went to check its stats in the Battle Subway. The guy said the best stat was defense, which was weird..

    I then used the IV calculator, and for IVs I got

    HP=19 A=14 D=28 SpA=14 SpD=14 Spd=14

    Now I'm a little curious as to how the change that/why is Defense so much higher when its nature is Quiet and I fed it Calcium.
    Because those are Iv's. u_u You can't view Ev's without an Action Replay, if you gave it 10 Calciums that's 100 Ev's. Now, go defeat 152 more Solosis for 252 Special attack Ev's, if you want more in-depth info, go read a guide.
    __________________
    twittertumblr ☂ 1349-6159-4149
      #3    
    Old April 17th, 2011 (9:22 AM).
    Oryx's Avatar
    Oryx Oryx is offline
    CoquettishCat
    • Crystal Tier
     
    Join Date: Mar 2011
    Age: 25
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Relaxed
    Posts: 13,204
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dragonomega View Post


    Because those are Iv's. u_u You can't view Ev's without an Action Replay, if you gave it 10 Calciums that's 100 Ev's. Now, go defeat 152 more Solosis for 252 Special attack Ev's, if you want more in-depth info, go read a guide.
    To expand on that, IVs are the values that your Pokemon has as soon as you encounter/breed them, and EVs are the values that you can change by killing certain Pokemon. Here's a good guide on what EVs are.

    As for killing to get Special Attack, don't kill more Solosis, that's not a good idea. Go to the Celestial Tower and kill Litwicks and Elgyems next to the nurse. That way you can heal when you need to, and all you'll encounter will raise your Special Attack.
    __________________


    Theme * Pair * VM * PM

    Not all men...

    Are all men stupid?

    That's right.

      #4    
    Old April 17th, 2011 (9:26 AM).
    ceremony's Avatar
    ceremony ceremony is offline
    rah rah
       
      Join Date: Jun 2008
      Location: East Coast
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Bold
      Posts: 121
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by dragonomega View Post


      Because those are Iv's. u_u You can't view Ev's without an Action Replay, if you gave it 10 Calciums that's 100 Ev's. Now, go defeat 152 more Solosis for 252 Special attack Ev's, if you want more in-depth info, go read a guide.
      u_u a little superior here I see. Who said anything about defeating Solosis? I'm training a Solosis. I know about defeating certain Pokemon for EVs, and where the best ones are, so I did read the guide. I just wanted to know what those numbers meant.
      __________________


      Black = 3310-4621-6704
      Diamond = 1292-3359-4411
        #5    
      Old April 17th, 2011 (9:44 AM).
      Oryx's Avatar
      Oryx Oryx is offline
      CoquettishCat
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Mar 2011
      Age: 25
      Gender: Female
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 13,204
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by ceremony View Post
      u_u a little superior here I see. Who said anything about defeating Solosis? I'm training a Solosis. I know about defeating certain Pokemon for EVs, and where the best ones are, so I did read the guide. I just wanted to know what those numbers meant.
      They're probably just a little frustrated because you didn't read the rules, since this is the wrong place to post something like this.

      I explained what those numbers are, but here's a more in-depth explanation if you're curious. A lot of information that you don't need to know, but it also gives you the basics of IVs. The guy at the Battle Subway has nothing to do with EVs, he only rates your IVs. That's why getting the perfect Pokemon is two-fold. The first part is breeding for the closest to perfect IVs that you can get, and the second part is flawlessly EV training them.
      __________________


      Theme * Pair * VM * PM

      Not all men...

      Are all men stupid?

      That's right.

        #6    
      Old April 17th, 2011 (11:12 AM).
      ceremony's Avatar
      ceremony ceremony is offline
      rah rah
         
        Join Date: Jun 2008
        Location: East Coast
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Bold
        Posts: 121
        Thanks Toujours. I thought that since this was a "strategy" section, and breeding/training involves strategy, it was the right place to post. I'm too lazy to look for the subsections, and I actually still don't know where the "right" section is
        __________________


        Black = 3310-4621-6704
        Diamond = 1292-3359-4411
          #7    
        Old April 17th, 2011 (11:24 AM).
        Vrai's Avatar
        Vrai Vrai is offline
        can you feel my heart?
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Jun 2008
        Age: 23
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Adamant
        Posts: 2,898
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by ceremony View Post
        Thanks Toujours. I thought that since this was a "strategy" section, and breeding/training involves strategy, it was the right place to post. I'm too lazy to look for the subsections, and I actually still don't know where the "right" section is
        It's the right section, it's just that there's a sticky thread that questions about breeding and EV training and movesets are supposed to go rather than making a thread about it. The main forum is for discussion threads and RMTs and battle logs and things like that.
        __________________
          #8    
        Old April 17th, 2011 (12:12 PM).
        Aurafire's Avatar
        Aurafire Aurafire is offline
        provider of cake
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: May 2008
        Location: New York
        Age: 27
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Quiet
        Posts: 5,739
        Ceremony, you are in the right section, but as Vrai said, questions like this should go in the Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A thread. Further clarification can be found in this announcement :)

        *closed*
        __________________

         

        Quick Reply

        Join the conversation!

        Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

        Create a PokéCommunity Account

        Sponsored Links
        Thread Tools

        Posting Rules
        You may not post new threads
        You may not post replies
        You may not post attachments
        You may not edit your posts

        BB code is On
        Smilies are On
        [IMG] code is On
        HTML code is Off

        Forum Jump


        All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:57 PM.