• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyzak

wishes he had a Hacking Team
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2012
Hmm...
Well, I'm a bit late to the party it seems.

Regardless, what base should I use for my Hack?

I possess virtually no programming, engineering or scripting talents, so I really don't know my way around the back of a ROM... I'm the artistic person that has already spent too much time drawing overworld maps, tossing tiles together to make towns and routes, and plotting out the story.

Ages ago on this thread there was a discussion about FireRed versus Emerald. What are the major differences? Music was mentioned (but what does that even mean to someone who likes to WRITE his own music?), as were tilesets. Can Emerald have two overworld maps like FireRed? And on top of that, is attempting animated sprites suicidal for someone who wants to, if human resources provide, incorporate Generation IV Pokémon and moves into the game?

...and of course, various and sundry other questions.

-Lyzák
(looking for a hack team, btw. A GOOD hack team. Just throwin that out there. Look for me on the Team Discussion forum.)

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
Hmm...
Well, I'm a bit late to the party it seems.

Regardless, what base should I use for my Hack?

I possess virtually no programming, engineering or scripting talents, so I really don't know my way around the back of a ROM... I'm the artistic person that has already spent too much time drawing overworld maps, tossing tiles together to make towns and routes, and plotting out the story.

Ages ago on this thread there was a discussion about FireRed versus Emerald. What are the major differences? Music was mentioned (but what does that even mean to someone who likes to WRITE his own music?), as were tilesets. Can Emerald have two overworld maps like FireRed? And on top of that, is attempting animated sprites suicidal for someone who wants to, if human resources provide, incorporate Generation IV Pokémon and moves into the game?

...and of course, various and sundry other questions.

-Lyzák
(looking for a hack team, btw. A GOOD hack team. Just throwin that out there. Look for me on the Team Discussion forum.)

Whatever base you start with is all up to you.
Fire Red has 4 Overworld Maps to work with, Emerald (Without ASM) has 1. (2 if you count the battle frontier Overworld, but it's not a very impressive overworld... lol.

Other than that, if you're planning on replacing the music, tiles, and other various aesthetic features, than it doesn't much matter what one you choose, especially if you're not going to be doing the scripting, or ASM. Otherwise those would be things that you'd need to look at, considering Emerald and Fire Red can differ from time to time in scripts. There are game-specific commands that I can't exactly remember off the top of my head, and the RAM data probably looks a bit different indeed (coming from an ASM standpoint).

Anyways, just pick your favorite and work from there, if you come across a hurdle you need help with, were always here, and willing to help.

Name

Moémon Master
Years
Hey so I'm picking up Moémon, and I'm gonna try to make a full ROM hack out of it. I'm updating the dex entries, cries, any sprites that need to be redone, script, title screen.
Any advice that can be given would be greatly appreciated!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moémon
(Hack of Pokémon Leaf Green)

In the world of Moémon there has been an accident at an animation studio. While they working on a television show based on the Pokémon of the world, something happened that caused the chibitized-anthropomorphized versions of Pokémon. They called themselves Moémon. Whatever happened in the studio spread like a virus, and soon the Moémon spread throughout the world. Not much was known about the virus, except it caused rampant growth in Pokémon. . .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's about all of the concept that I have come up with thus far.
So again, any help in any aspect of ROM hacking would be greatly appreciated!
Ciao

darkfighter

That random guy
Years
I need help thinking of a new "evil" team name. You know, like Team Rocket.

I'm really having trouble thinking of the name for these evil guys! But before we throw some ideas, I'll let in you in on a piece of the story:

The Team, located in (Name coming soon) region is a secret orginization dedicated to creating their own Pokemon. Their goal is quite simple: To replace pokemon in the world with new, more "improved" pokemon, also believing that the pokemon are "inferior", aside from legendaries. The region itself can be seen crawling with synthetic pokemon made from Team (BLANK). Already, trainers, Gym Leaders, and even a member of the Elite 4 are catching on to the idea of stronger, better pokemon. Many still oppose the ideas of synthetic pokemon, but with the growing popularity of the team, are pokemon safe?

Yeah...Discuss.

Years
  • Seen Jun 18, 2011
Life of Guardians Glitch

I'm really having trouble thinking of the name for these evil guys! But before we throw some ideas, I'll let in you in on a piece of the story:

The Team, located in (Name coming soon) region is a secret orginization dedicated to creating their own Pokemon. Their goal is quite simple: To replace pokemon in the world with new, more "improved" pokemon, also believing that the pokemon are "inferior", aside from legendaries. The region itself can be seen crawling with synthetic pokemon made from Team (BLANK). Already, trainers, Gym Leaders, and even a member of the Elite 4 are catching on to the idea of stronger, better pokemon. Many still oppose the ideas of synthetic pokemon, but with the growing popularity of the team, are pokemon safe?

Yeah...Discuss.
A strange pokemon hybrid appears and destroys everything in its path.
Who has caused this...
... TEAM ALPHA CHAOS

Or:
Dark Alpha
Shadow Omega
Superior Darkness
Alpha Plague Team
Pink Fluffy Rhinos
Shades of Darkness
Chaomon
Synthemon
Synthenergizer

Last edited by a moderator:

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Should I add these Pokemon to my hack?

EDIT: I have decided to remove this post and add all Pokemon from the Unova Pokedex and address my biggest issue, the incompatibility of moves for Klink/Klang/Klinklang, when it comes.

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024
I have two questions

What makes Pokemon Emerald unstable and can someone give me a list of Pokemjn emerald hacks I can look at

The ROM isn't unstable, that's a false rumor. What makes Emerald seem unstable was the lack of support of tools, or the tool creators using Ruby and Sapphire offsets when Emerald's are different. The ROM isn't unstable, otherwise you can't play it without it crashing, it's just the tools.

Emerald hacks are kinda uncommon, but Flora Sky is one I'd look at.

jabberjabber8

../\..
Years
Hey there,
i needed a bit of help and could not find anywhere more suited to put this so...

I need names for the first 3 city's of my hack pokemon rumble rock... any ideas?

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Today I can gladly say I did not work on my hack. Instead I finally organized all my files associated with my hack. So I was wondering, how organize are you guys with your hacks?

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Today I can gladly say I did not work on my hack. Instead I finally organized all my files associated with my hack. So I was wondering, how organize are you guys with your hacks?
I try to be as organized as I can. A few years back, I would just scatter files associated with any project all over the HDD.
Rom Hacking is the main root folder. And it's pretty much like a Tap Root System where all the other roots divide from the main root, and there are secondary roots, tertiary roots, etc. Within the Rom Hacking folder, I have Projects, Tools, Resources, etc. Under Projects, folders with the name of the hack, and in them, other folders like scripts, maps, tilesets, etc. Yeah, that's pretty much how I organize myself.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
I am bad organised. I have all my junk heaped into the one ROM Hacking folder. The tools that come with multiple other files are all in their individual folders, with the ROM itself in the A-Map folder, as it makes it faster to run. I barely back-up anything and... yeah. Disorganised as heck.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024
Hey, I want to ask of your opinions, but how do you feel when someone steals a tutorial that you wrote? I found that someone posted my DS Music hacking tutorial without my permission. And get this- it's a PC user. And he put it on his forum.

It's stealing, plain and simple. Ask him kindly to credit you or take it down. May not comply, but... It's the internet, it's hard to actually fix these things.

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2011
ok so now that I am going to attempt to make my own hacked game pretty soon I was wondering if there is a certain pokemon game that is easiest to hack and if so which one it is.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Hey, I want to ask of your opinions, but how do you feel when someone steals a tutorial that you wrote? I found that someone posted my DS Music hacking tutorial without my permission. And get this- it's a PC user. And he put it on his forum.

If you wrote your tutorial to help out those eager to learn then you should be happy because 1) having it posted on another site will expose more people to it; and 2) this "thief" obviously thinks your tutorial is helpful and/or well-written. So yeah, I would feel happy if someone did that.

If this guy isn't citing you as the original author, however, then that's a problem because the tutorial is your intellectual property. But if he agrees to mention that you were the author then I (if I were you) would let him keep the tutorial up. After all, what reason do you have for keeping it PC-exclusive?

ok so now that I am going to attempt to make my own hacked game pretty soon I was wondering if there is a certain pokemon game that is easiest to hack and if so which one it is.

If you search this thread (and these forums), you'll find this question has been answered countless times. Basically, each ROM has its pros and cons. The choice is up to you and you aren't putting yourself at a disadvantage by choosing one particular ROM.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years

I think it's rude not to get your permission, but that's about it. As colcolstyles said, he should at the least credit you as the original author. If he didn't you could probably get his hosting shut down for theft of intellectual property. Be sure to inform him of this. ;)

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
OK, I want the opinions of some of you. In my Ruby hack, Wally will be replaced by another trainer. I want to ask you guys who I should use in place of him. I'm thinking it's gonna be one of the following: Red (FRLG Male player); Leaf (FRLG Female player); Ethan (HGSS Male player); Lyra (HGSS Female player). I would appreciate your opinions on which one I should use.

Poster

Will pixel art for pizza
Years
Make a character of your own.
Easiest thing to say.

The choice is actually yours, deoxys121, because using an existing character ties them to a sort of premade scenario. You can erase their backgrounds, of course, but that would lead to a confusion for those playing the hack. So I suggest you sit down and think which background of the suggested characters will fit your story best.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I don't think there is any reason to use player-characters who have appeared in previous games - They've all been silent protagonists with little to no characterisation. Creating a completely new character like Ninja Caterpie suggested is a superior choice (in my view) as you can insert a new personality and backstory if required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back