• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
I don't think there is any reason to use player-characters who have appeared in previous games - They've all been silent protagonists with little to no characterisation. Creating a completely new character like Ninja Caterpie suggested is a superior choice (in my view) as you can insert a new personality and backstory if required.

Well, I'm not good at all at making battle sprites from scratch. Overworld sprites, on the other hand, I can make. So, as far as making a completely new character, if one of you wants to make the battle sprite, I would definitely give credit.

Another idea would be to take one of the aforementioned characters and suggest that they decided to start over fresh in the Hoenn region.

EDIT: I would also need the back sprite where the character throws the Poke Ball during the Pokemon catching tutorail.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 16, 2011
I have a question: Is Photoshop a requirement to being able to hack certain parts of the graphics?

It seems the more and more I try to do on my hack, I run into the problem that if you don't have Photoshop you're screwed. I can't change the intro hero, I can't insert tiles, heck I can't even unlz to its fullest potential (or at all).

The problem seems to be with palettes, Photoshop lets you import and apply palettes etc. I have GIMP, Infranview, and Graphics Gale, and not one of them it seems, lets you apply the palettes or work with them the way photoshop can. Is there anything out there that lets you manipulate palettes like Photoshop? Because I'm getting sick of reading "oh do this and that and this and use Photoshop for this and that and this and it'll work no problem" in tutorials and if I attempt to even try I end up screwing up my maps, tiles, or my rom.

For the record, I've tried to download the free trial of Photoshop Elements 9 and... it's still loading. x.X Since it's you know, 1.75 GB just for the first part of it. Bleh.

Do I really have to spend over $100 for something just so I can hack a rom?

Last edited:

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
Years
I have a question: Is Photoshop a requirement to being able to hack certain parts of the graphics?

It seems the more and more I try to do on my hack, I run into the problem that if you don't have Photoshop you're screwed. I can't change the intro hero, I can't insert tiles, heck I can't even unlz to its fullest potential (or at all).

The problem seems to be with palettes, Photoshop lets you import and apply palettes etc. I have GIMP, Infranview, and Graphics Gale, and not one of them it seems, lets you apply the palettes or work with them the way photoshop can. Is there anything out there that lets you manipulate palettes like Photoshop? Because I'm getting sick of reading "oh do this and that and this and use Photoshop for this and that and this and it'll work no problem" in tutorials and if I attempt to even try I end up screwing up my maps, tiles, or my rom.

For the record, I've tried to download the free trial of Photoshop Elements 9 and... it's still loading. x.X Since it's you know, 1.75 GB just for the first part of it. Bleh.

Do I really have to spend over $100 for something just so I can hack a rom?
hmm..if you are talking about the palletes,
you could always manually key in the palletes on infranview without exporting..
That is what i do always for my tile inserting without the use of photoshop

Years
  • Seen May 16, 2011

hmm..if you are talking about the palletes,
you could always manually key in the palletes on infranview without exporting..
That is what i do always for my tile inserting without the use of photoshop

So... well I'll give that a try and see what happens. But what can be done for other things like the intro hero?

www*pokecommunity*com/showthread.php?t=165124 (15post rule)

I having trouble coming up with a workaround for this, and that's a lot more than 16colors.

Saten Ruiko

» ^-^
Years
So... well I'll give that a try and see what happens. But what can be done for other things like the intro hero?

www*pokecommunity*com/showthread.php?t=165124 (15post rule)

I having trouble coming up with a workaround for this, and that's a lot more than 16colors.
You can increase/decrease the color depth with irfanview. You can also edit the palette to your needs, just play around to get the best results.

Years
  • Seen May 16, 2011
You can increase/decrease the color depth with irfanview. You can also edit the palette to your needs, just play around to get the best results.

I guess I'll get to know Infranview really well over the next few days, though it's still a pity it won't let you apply a palette. But hopefully a lot better alternative to shelling out a lot of money for Photoshop. Thanks for the tip.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
How do you guys decide what Wild Pokemon to include in your hacks? Especially choosing the ones incredibly early on? On one hand, variety is important, but on the other, you don't want the player to have so much available so early. I guess my question is, when and how should you transition from the "start crap" to more variety and slightly more powerful (base stat-wise) Pokemon?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
How do you guys decide what Wild Pokemon to include in your hacks? Especially choosing the ones incredibly early on? On one hand, variety is important, but on the other, you don't want the player to have so much available so early. I guess my question is, when and how should you transition from the "start crap" to more variety and slightly more powerful (base stat-wise) Pokemon?
Imo you should put 3 different pokemon on the starting routes with 1 special (you know some hidden one that's very hard to find and it's very good).
But those 3 shouldn't be so annoying like Rattata, Pidgey, etc... Maybe one of them, but others should be somehow of better use.
That's my option.

ThaReaper01

I'm on my way...
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 25, 2014
Are there any ROMs that have the Gen 4/5 gameplay design but has the R/B/Y/Fr/Lg storyline?

I probably should have been a bit more clear. What I mean by "design" are things likes attacks being categorized as physical or special, instead of all one type being physical or all one type being special. Things like that. I'm not bothered about the graphics or anything like that.

One of these been released yet?

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Nope. Christos and I thought about it ages ago but decided to put it in this thread's purposes as well. Besides, just read the first post:

This thread can also be used as a screenshot showcase, for people who don't have a thread for their hacks.

Another point I'd like to make is why does this section need ANOTHER stickied thread? It already has an astronomical number of them.

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
One of these been released yet?

No. A hack like that (with one of the GBA games) would require extensively messing with the game's core programming (especially since you'd have to go over literally every move and give it another variable that determines whether it's physical or special) and then you'd have to modify whatever reads the physical-special thing to go over and look for that new variable rather than going off of type. Either that, or you'd have to re-plot one of the DS games, lol.

I'm pretty solid on this but someone can come by and correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024
I'm sure there was a physical/special split for GBA games in the Research and Development threads. Search there, but it does have... Issues.

Just thought I'd throw this in here. People know of my latest sort of conquest, so... I just need some opinions on this idea of a titlescreen.
0907pokemonrubyversionu.png

With some of the stars being like Ruby's animated titlescreen, in that they go upwards.

Also, just wondering, which ROM do people prefer when it comes to inserting titlescreens and why?

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
FireRed. I know most of the offsets off by heart and can do a good one in like less than five minutes.

Years
In response to someone saying that RH has far too many stickied threads, perhaps once these threads are saturated, the Simple Questions and Script Help thread could be merged and make the "ROM Hacking Help Thread" or something? Also, isn't "An Introduction to the ROM Hacking Forum" and "About the ROM Hacking forum / Rules" essentially the same thing? If so, I don't see why they couldn't be merged, either.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
In response to someone saying that RH has far too many stickied threads, perhaps once these threads are saturated, the Simple Questions and Script Help thread could be merged and make the "ROM Hacking Help Thread" or something? Also, isn't "An Introduction to the ROM Hacking Forum" and "About the ROM Hacking forum / Rules" essentially the same thing? If so, I don't see why they couldn't be merged, either.

I'd rather not merge the Simple Questions and Script Help threads because they both get sufficient traffic for them to have separate threads. The closed stickies are another issue, though.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years
There are not too many stickies. I find it fine, they are all conversations that deserve to be stickies, because if they weren't then they wouldn't fit at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back