• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dinosaur Pokemon Team Idea

Warrior Rapter

Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer
Years
Feel free to rate, I know the team isn't perfect, but I was basing it around a Dinosaur theme, so I think it could have some potential. I don't have them yet, I'm just posting what I put down in my little notepad on my computer called "Pokemon Ideas". I usually decide the EV spread after I hatch the pokemon, but it will probably be set in on a 170/170/170 spread, and like with most of my other ideas I've had, some parts may be subject to change depending one whether or not I can make do with a nature I get that's not what I planned for.

Lapras, Modest @ Wacan Berry; Surf, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Ice Beam

Breloom, Adamant @ Toxic Orb; Sky Uppercut, Seed Bomb, Thunderpunch, Rock Slide

Aerodactyl, Jolly @ Razor Fang; Crunch, Aerial Ace, Rock Slide, Earthquake

Haxorus, Adamant @ Muscle Band; Dragon Claw, Brick Break, Earthquake, Shadow Claw

Blissey, Modest @ Leftovers; Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Grass Knot, Ice Beam

Bastiodon, Bold @ Chople Berry; Ancient Power, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Flash Cannon

The dinosaur representation is Lapras for Plesiosaur, Breloom for Velociraptor, Aerodactyl for Pteradon, Haxorus for Allosaurus, Blissey for eggs (I know, it's silly, but it fit the theme), and Bastiodon for Styracosaurus.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Feel free to rate, I know the team isn't perfect, but I was basing it around a Dinosaur theme, so I think it could have some potential. I don't have them yet, I'm just posting what I put down in my little notepad on my computer called "Pokemon Ideas". I usually decide the EV spread after I hatch the pokemon, but it will probably be set in on a 170/170/170 spread, and like with most of my other ideas I've had, some parts may be subject to change depending one whether or not I can make do with a nature I get that's not what I planned for.

Haxorus, Adamant @ Muscle Band; Dragon Claw, Brick Break, Earthquake, Shadow Claw

Bastiodon, Bold @ Chople Berry; Ancient Power, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Flash Cannon

The dinosaur representation is Lapras for Plesiosaur, Breloom for Velociraptor, Aerodactyl for Pteradon, Haxorus for Allosaurus, Blissey for eggs (I know, it's silly, but it fit the theme), and Bastiodon for Styracosaurus.

I find it funny that you're making a dinosaur team without Cranidos. xD

Anyway, I have a few suggestions.

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Adamant [+Attack; -Sp.Attack] / Jolly [+Speed; -Sp.Attack]
- Spore
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb
- Rock Slide / Thunder Punch

Breloom MUST have Spore, it's its greatest asset. I've got myself a Breloom, and Jolly + Spore has helped me a bunch. I miss out on the potential 394 Attack, but the extra Speed has come in handy.

Heatran > Bastiodon
I learned this one though the other raters here and they're absolutely correct. Heatran can do everything Bastiodon can do but better. Besides, three of your Pokemon take super effective damage from Ice, so Heatran could have a dual agenda for you.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Flash Fire
252 Sp.Attack / 252 HP / 4 Sp.Defense
Quite [+Sp.Attack; -Speed]
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock / Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran's typing alone makes it superior to Bastiodon. And hey, it's kind of like a dinosaur, right?

Blissey doesn't work so well with nothing but attacks. It's role in a team is best utilized as a Special Wall (I mean, Blissey is a Special Wall without trying, but it can support your team really well if given the opportunity).

Blissey @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
252 Defense / 176 Sp. Defense / 80 HP
Bold [+Defense; -Attack]
- Soft Boiled / Wish / Aromatherapy
- Toxic / Protect / Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Flamethrower / Ice Beam

This is kind of two different Blissey sets here. Soft Boiled will heal you, Wish will heal the team, and Aromatherapy will cure the team (However, you might find it hard to predict the right moment to use Aromatherapy). Toxic speaks for itself, Protect stalls for Wish or Toxic. STAB Seismic Toss also speaks for itself. Flamethrower can help with your Ice problem and Ice Beam is always a good choice. It looks complicated, but give it a try.

Anyway, I give you full credit for your knowledge of dinosaurs. I can't even pronounce those names let alone spell them. Good job. I think you have a pretty interesting niche here and I hope it works out for you. :D

Good luck!

Warrior Rapter

Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer
Years
Heatran > Bastiodon
I learned this one though the other raters here and they're absolutely correct. Heatran can do everything Bastiodon can do but better. Besides, three of your Pokemon take super effective damage from Ice, so Heatran could have a dual agenda for you.

To be completely honest, I've never been fond of using legendaries. It just seems too..... easy, I guess you could say. I like challenging myself, which, in my opinion, is more fun than winning, which I have a very poor record of doing in the first place anyway, but hey, having fun is the important part right?

As for the rest of your advice, thanks for the tips, although I feel the need to point out that Blissey doesn't get STAB Seismic Toss, means you can't STAB a move that has a set amount of damage, plus Seismic is Fighting where Blissey is Normal.

lionrt60

Animal Crossing 3ds ♥
Years
Good ^^

Use drain punch over sky uppercut as it has higher accuracy and the fact that nobody uses fly.

Good ^^, consider replacing crunch / aerial ace with strealth rock (Via DW) though.

Really? No Outrage? That's what makes haxorus, haxorus. Put it over shadow claw. also maybe dual chop over dragon claw.

Now, Special sweeping blissey simply doesn't work, NEVER use it! Use this instead ^^

Spr_5b_242.png

Blissey @ Leftovers
Trait : Natural Cure
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
Evs: 252 Def / 80 SAtk / 176 SpD
- Softboiled
- Thunderwave / Toxic
- Flamethrower / Ice Beam / Aromatherapy / Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss

Softboiled for recovery which is essential, then the status you feel you need more, then one of Flamethrower / Ice Beam / Aromatherapy the first two are for coverage and allow blissey to win vs Dragons and gliscor (with Ice Beam) or Scizor, Lucario and breloom (with flamethrower) the other option allows you to remove status from your team.

Are all of your walls special attackers? xD, use this.

Spr_5b_411.png

Bastiodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Sassy Nature (+ SpD, - Spd)
Evs: 252 Hp / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Ivs: 0 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Metal Burst
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Stealth Rock really speaks for itself turning many 2HKOs on your team into OHKOs and many 3HKOs into 2HKOs, Metal Burst is a unique ability like counter and magic coat, only both of them at the same time, if bastiodon gets hit by an attack and then hits back in the same turn you do 150% of the damage they did to you, back to them! Earthquake & Stone edge for STAB.

Bolded and underlined my comments, also imo bastiodon is more like chasmosaurus than styracosaurus but that hardly matters xD

oh, actually if you are using stealth rock on one of bastiodon or aerodactyl then don't use it on the other, you should probably keep everything on aerodactyl ^^

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
To be completely honest, I've never been fond of using legendaries. It just seems too..... easy, I guess you could say. I like challenging myself, which, in my opinion, is more fun than winning, which I have a very poor record of doing in the first place anyway, but hey, having fun is the important part right?

Well, in all honesty, "legendary" is not a term that should be used in competitive battling. Why? A lot of "legendaries", despite being given that term, simply aren't that amazing when used in practice. Regigigas is the universal example - despite being dubbed by the fanbase as a "legendary", its ability really sucks and makes it worse than like every other Pokémon out there. Other legendaries, such as Moltres and Articuno have fatal flaws like a terrible 4x Stealth Rock weakness and not enough ground covered with their base stats to make up for flaws like that (where Ho-Oh, who is uber, is plenty good enough to make up for that Stealth Rock weak - and it has Regenerate, which makes it that much easier to come in and out). A lot of "legendaries" just aren't up to the power level of the other Pokémon - the other Regis are a good example. Regirock, Registeel, and Regice are all defensive behemoths but they just simply cannot get things done when put up to the power level of OU. There are a few legendaries that are very much so usable in OU and are used a lot because they are good - Latios, Latias, Deoxys-S, and Jirachi are all very good examples.

I mean, yeah, things like Dialga and Mewtwo and Zekrom are all considered uber and too powerful, but there are listings of what "legendaries" are too powerful for the game (most of the big BST legendaries are banned). It's not the terminology of "legendary" that makes it too powerful, but some of them are and some of them aren't - that's why they're allowed to be used in OU matches and things like that. (Some legendaries, like Mew, have dropped even to UnderUsed - and don't forget about Cresselia who is a tier below UnderUsed, even.)

Anyway, I just wanted to say something on the topic. It's perfectly fine if you feel like you shouldn't use legendaries for any reason (I myself don't use some Pokémon just because I've decided I don't like them and don't want to use them) but I just wanted to let you know that not everything is superpowerful and that some of them are allowed to be used in standard play.

BUT ANYWAY THOUGH I just wanted to say that if you are indeed going to use Haxorus, you basically -need- to use a Choice Band set or else he'll be outclassed by every other Dragon-type out there. That's his best niche - smashing things with that axe-face of his, because literally everything is smashed except Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Forretress. Those are its only three hard-counters, anyway. Here's the set:

Haxorus @ Choice Band
Ability: Rivalry / Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dual Chop / Dragon Claw
- Brick Break / Rock Slide

Warrior Rapter

Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer
Years
Means I see alot of you guys are talking about OU.... would now be a bad time to say I really don't know a whole lot about tiers? Honestly, I'm against tiers, to me it's like giving people a list that, to some, says "Use these pokemon because they are good and everyone else is using them!" I've never been someone to jump on bandwagons or do something just because it's good. With pokemon, generally I think of a team, breed/ev train/level them, and just do standard battles. Back in gen IV, the only dragon-types I used were Flygon, Altaria, and a Dratini I had trained for lvl 5 LC. As for the choice items, I'll be honest, I don't use them. I hate being limited to only one move before I have to swap out, because in my experience, swapping out usually doesn't help me much at all.

Thanks for the tips you guys though, and I did change some of them. Here's the updated list:

Haxorus, Adamant @ Muscle Band; Dual Chop, Brick Break, Earthquake, Shadow Claw

Blissey, Modest @ Leftovers; Softboiled, Seismic Toss, Thunderwave, Ice beam

Bastiodon, Bold @ Chople Berry; Ancient Power, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Stealth Rock

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
you surely need to have either tyranitar or/and rampardos?
drop blissey :)

oh and also you should get tropius

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Means I see alot of you guys are talking about OU.... would now be a bad time to say I really don't know a whole lot about tiers? Honestly, I'm against tiers, to me it's like giving people a list that, to some, says "Use these pokemon because they are good and everyone else is using them!" I've never been someone to jump on bandwagons or do something just because it's good. With pokemon, generally I think of a team, breed/ev train/level them, and just do standard battles. Back in gen IV, the only dragon-types I used were Flygon, Altaria, and a Dratini I had trained for lvl 5 LC. As for the choice items, I'll be honest, I don't use them. I hate being limited to only one move before I have to swap out, because in my experience, swapping out usually doesn't help me much at all.

Well you aren't forced to use the top Pokemon only, of course. I'd say tiers are more like ...a guideline, being able to see what's used a lot (and hopefully understand why) and being able to plan accordingly with your team. There have been plenty of people who have successfully used Pokemon that aren't necessarily "overused" but are good enough to compete or have a specific role. Tiers aren't like limitations (unless you're playing UU and aren't allowed to use those deemed OU, etc) but more like guides for you to utilize. You definitely aren't constricted to just the popular stuff, if you get what I'm trying to say. :(

And Choice items are... both a boon and a burden. I can tell you that I've used teams full of choiced Pokemon (in both UU and OU) and had a lot of success, climbing up to ~30 on both ladders. It's definitely your option though, don't think you're limited to what people suggest. ;___;

you surely need to have either tyranitar or/and rampardos?
drop blissey :)

oh and also you should get tropius

Why? Any reasoning behind that, aside from "they're dinosaurs"? I mean, sure, but what makes them good? Do they have any really good sets? What are they? Why should we use them over something else? Not to say it isn't appreciated, but we look for a little more than "just use this Pokemon" out of rates. :x

Last edited:

Warrior Rapter

Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer
Years

Well you aren't forced to use the top Pokemon only, of course. I'd say tiers are more like ...a guideline, being able to see what's used a lot (and hopefully understand why) and being able to plan accordingly with your team. There have been plenty of people who have successfully used Pokemon that aren't necessarily "overused" but are good enough to compete or have a specific role. Tiers aren't like limitations (unless you're playing UU and aren't allowed to use those deemed OU, etc) but more like guides for you to utilize. You definitely aren't constricted to just the popular stuff, if you get what I'm trying to say.

I do. I was just meaning that I know some people that will only choose pokemon out of one tier and not even look at the others. To me, that's just not right, if anything, the competitive field of pokemon is one of the most customizable of most any game, and to limit yourself to just some of the pokemon reduces that customizability.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I do. I was just meaning that I know some people that will only choose pokemon out of one tier and not even look at the others. To me, that's just not right, if anything, the competitive field of pokemon is one of the most customizable of most any game, and to limit yourself to just some of the pokemon reduces that customizability.

Well, some Pokemon deemed as "lower tier material" are like that because they don't do well in a Standard play environment. It's not because they're bad or because they "don't work". It's just that other Pokemon from higher tiers do the same job only better. People use the Pokemon from OU because they're credible, proven, and they want to win. For example, yes, Bastiodon may be a good Pokemon based on its individual stats, but Heatran is going to do more for your team as a whole. Heatran may be the thing that helps your team function as a cohesive unit and not a group of wayward Pokemon. That being said, it's not to mention that you might have the completely opposite experience! You might discover that Mawile offers you and your team more than you can imagine! (this is unlikely, at least in Mawile's case. ;-; tough cookies.)

However, while you're still learning about Competitive Battling, it's best to stick to the guidelines set out for you that ensure you'll have the most fun. I mean, let's face it, no one likes losing all the time, right? The whole, "I don't follow the conventional idea of standard competitive play" shtick gets pretty old when you get your butt whooped up and down the server. Trust me, I used to have a Dark Monotype team because I wanted to stick to the Pokemon I was familiar with. Because I thought I had "more fun being an individual" that way. After realizing the people don't use Cacturne for a reason, the whole thing became really old for me. Let me just say, I started competitive battling because I wanted to have fun. Now I play because I want to have fun and I want to win. I cannot say that you will go down the same path.

The key to this is gaining experience. We can suggest everything in the world and it's not going to matter because we can't force you to press a certain button on your DS or computer. You'll be able to edit your team according to how much you win or lose with your current Pokemon, and that's the bottom line. So, go out there and see what works for you! Then, if and when Haxorus isn't working so well, or Lapras hasn't been going how you expected, the raters here can help because we'll have a better understanding of your experiences or expectations and be able to rate accordingly.

Anyway, I think I've gone on for long enough.

Please, please, please give Breloom Spore. ;-;
and
Haxorus really wants Outrage. It's not completely useless without a STAB attack, but you can totally get rid of Shadow Claw / Brick Break in favor of Outrage.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I multiquoted these out of order, owell. :x

Please, please, please give Breloom Spore. ;-;
and
Haxorus really wants Outrage. It's not completely useless without a STAB attack, but you can totally get rid of Shadow Claw / Brick Break in favor of Outrage.

I'd like to second these. Spore really makes Breloom fantastic - you get it in on something it scares (or is faster than), Spore, and then you use the huge swing in momentum (they'll either stay in with a useless Pokemon or switch, both things you can use to your advantage). STABless offensive Pokemon generally aren't useful, because they don't get access to their most powerful attacks. No matter how good the alternate coverage is, you don't want to give up power for coverage if you can avoid it - oftentimes, the coverage makes little difference and the power provides you with extra KOs.

Yes, you're perfectly open to using whatever Pokemon you want. I simply wanted to say that you aren't restricted to using tiers in any way - in fact, though, you may be interested in using it as a resource. By that, I mean you can analyze the tier list (or more specifically, the usage stats) and deal with the top threats with your team. I guess that's just more of a "if you want to win more often" kind of thing but if you're having fun with your team than that's fantastic and you certainly don't have to do that either.

Warrior Rapter

Dinosaur Pokemon Trainer
Years
Finally got all the pokemon on black, so going to start the breeding and ev training. When I finish, I'll update you guys on what I've got once they are lvl 50, so you can c how I'm doing.

Back