• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emotionally attached?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2011
I tend to get somewhat attached to my favorite Pokemon. I always have favorites on my team, and I feel really bad if they ever faint. I don't feel bad about the ones I don't like as much though, as awful as that sounds. XD

Years
Sometimes I'll feel bad about just throwing a pokemon into the PC and never using it, like it doesn't get to experience life to the fullest. However, the one thing that's made me "feel" the most in a Pokemon game is not a pokemon, but one of the characters. Bianca. For the first time, I feel genuinely bad about beating someone. I'll often give her a fighting chance and allow her to take a few of of my pokemon out before winning cause I want her to feel better about her ability.

It's sad, really, that I care so much about a blob of pixels's feelings.

Technician

Aerial Ace
Years
Not sure if it's the same, but I remember having a bit of an attachment to Weedle when I first started playing Pokemon. Weedle was my first ever Pokemon card, and I remember playing Yellow and being super disappointed that you can't catch Weedles in Yellow ;_; oh, to be 8 years old again.

Kelp

<3
Years
I have this one Magnezone that I'm really attached to. It's pretty much in my party the whole time. I migrated it from Sapphire, to Diamond, and then to Black. And now it's level 87. <3

I may get attached to my other pokemon, but just not as much as my Magnezone.

Autobot Silverwynde

Automaton Protector
Years
Do you find yourself get emotionally attached to the Pokémon you train in your games?

You know, I would always feel a little something if one of my favorite Pokemon in the past Gens fainted out or got hurt, but I didn't really think I got attached to any of my Pokemon.

Enter Golett and Golurk. Those two really changed things.

I admit it: I am completely attached to those two. I'm almost over-protective of them and will get a bit miffed if one gets hurt. (True story: While EV training in White, my Golett fainted. I actually mumbled an apology as I used the Revive!) They don't even have to be mine specifically; if I have one I took in from the GTS in my party, I'm just as protective over it as the ones I caught myself. Those two are my "babies", if you will and I utterly adore them.

There are other Pokemon I like, but Golett and Golurk are the only ones I can say that I truly love.

Super Red

Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 5, 2011
Not really, but I have a Blaziken that I have had for 6 years. I've raised it since it was a Torchic at Lv. 5 to Blaziken at Lv. 100

.Fenris

Just a bystander, don't shoot!
Years
If it tells you how attached I am to my 'mons, I have only resetted twice, once in Gold, when I was little, and once in FireRed which I transferred all but one Pidgey I caught to let me move them all to Diamond.

Not really, but I have a Blaziken that I have had for 6 years. I've raised it since it was a Torchic at Lv. 5 to Blaziken at Lv. 100

No kidding? I've had a Blaziken that I nicknamed 'Hot Shot' since Sapphire.

Last edited:
Years
I find that about the third or fourth gym, my team will become 'locked', usually without me noticing. I develop an attachment to Pokemon I train or battle with for a while, and it's very hard for me to break up any team I end up mismatching together, even if a Pokemon is clearly terrible or unneeded.

I think the Pokemon I cared about the most was my Chikorita, my very first starter. His name was Lucky, and I trained him lovingly to Level 100, bred his child for use in my Crystal version, and ultimately ended up cloning him a hundred times to trade to my brother's Silver and my Crystal version after a friend told me that you can lose your save file. He was my darling. :)

Sire

Making Flareon Own You
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Not yet, but if I manage to get an Emerald I'll definitely love those guys. :3

Probably closest I've been was my original team in Ruby, although I can't remember what they were for the love of god.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
Years
Do you find yourself get emotionally attached to the Pokémon you train in your games?
Yup. T.T So strange, I feel reeeally guilty when one of my pokemon faints during a battle.

PickupTeam

Free Item Abuser
Years
Most of my pokemon are utility-based. Each one is a specific tool to manipulate the game in some way. How can I ever be attached to a toolbox?
The way I play is monstrous to pokemon, I feel. I breed and catch hundreds only to select one with the best IVs. I have a stack of Rare Candies that never goes down. I've reduced the game to a data-entry job with all the IV calculation. I'm so obsessed with stats that all thought of love is simply tossed out the window. If I were allowed to be a pokemon trainer in real life, my actions would have serious repercussions on the world. Not to mention all my pokemon would hate me. Good time to use Frustration I guess.

Espinight

That Dutch Guy
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 18, 2011
Yeah, I do. But I think it adds to the fun of raising your Pokémon. Why invest time on creatures you can't get emotionally attached to?

Years
Most of my pokemon are utility-based. Each one is a specific tool to manipulate the game in some way. How can I ever be attached to a toolbox?
The way I play is monstrous to pokemon, I feel. I breed and catch hundreds only to select one with the best IVs. I have a stack of Rare Candies that never goes down. I've reduced the game to a data-entry job with all the IV calculation. I'm so obsessed with stats that all thought of love is simply tossed out the window. If I were allowed to be a pokemon trainer in real life, my actions would have serious repercussions on the world. Not to mention all my pokemon would hate me. Good time to use Frustration I guess.

I've never understood how people can play this way and still have fun. This just sounds like work.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
Years

The emotion I feel in the games is huge anger when my Archeops misses Rock Slide twice! and Jellicent hits with Hydro Pump five out of five!! =/
Well I guess I do feel emotions towards them, mostly negative lol

oocyst

SOFTware
Years
I used to get more attached when I was younger, I was devastated when I accidentally poured milk over my Crystal cartridge and it was all glitched up. Right now I still get attached but just not that much and if I have to change a team member it's not that big of a deal. I do keep the pokemon I used in my team in a special box though.

Insomnium

♥ ~
Years
  • Seen Sep 21, 2015
haha, it's pathetic how attached i get to my pokemon. i always make up personalities and back stories for them, and i cheer them on in battles in my head. xD my oldest and favorite pokemon was a meganium i had on crystal version when i was like seven - named her 'cutie pie' (hey - i was seven!). she was on my team for ten years before i restarted recently. ahh, nostalgia~.

Years
I get extremely attatched to my pokemon, even when I don't mean too. I don't feel bad putting them in boxes, but then I view boxes differently then most people do I think and also have another box dedicated to my team.

My biggest dream is to have a game like my pokemon ranch come out that's compatible with 5th gen but with better graphics so I can interact with all of my pokemon at the same time in a more natural and realistic environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back