ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old August 10th, 2011 (1:24 PM).
kevin del rey
  • Silver Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechlgz View Post
I'm sorry but I'm confused, what two pallets do I switch? Because I'm only working with one single pallet and I'm just trying to get the correct colour transparent.
You switch the first colour of the palette with the transparent colour that is somewhere else on the palette. If the transparent colour is already first, then just leave it alone.

Relevant Advertising!

Old August 10th, 2011 (1:31 PM).
Royal
  • Gold Tier

Nature: Brave
Excuse me, I was about to post my hack thread on the progressing hacks thread and I was checking my hack (a hack of firered) so far so I can warn people about some bugs, and theres one that really is troubleing me, when I was texting my hack via advance text and the oaks parcel text at the pokemart was not on advance text so I couldn't edit it, is there anyway I can edit oaks parcel text without advance text?
Old August 10th, 2011 (1:38 PM).
  • Crystal Tier

Edit the item's description. DavidJCobb's tutorial on item creation briefly covers this. It's very easy. :]

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
Old August 10th, 2011 (1:40 PM).
Royal
  • Gold Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
Edit the item's description. DavidJCobb's tutorial on item creation briefly covers this. It's very easy. :]
I know how to edit the items descrption it's the guy that gives you the parcel to hand the proffesor is the problem, it's simply not in advance text and I don't know any other way to edit it without causeing it to screw up
Old August 10th, 2011 (1:50 PM).
  • Crystal Tier

Edit the script. It's a level script, though.

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
Old August 10th, 2011 (1:53 PM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Destiny Demon View Post
    You switch the first colour of the palette with the transparent colour that is somewhere else on the palette. If the transparent colour is already first, then just leave it alone.
    Well I just stuck with using the black since it always comes first anyway. So that's first in all color pallet viewers (photoshop, infanview, etc).

My main problem is the fact that the first colour in the pallet doesn't stay the first colour in the pallet when I upload it onto advancemap. It moves to some random location in the pallet and instead some random other colour becomes the transparent colour.
    * A working PvP battle system using stats and levels. * Activities and NPCs. * Journeys and catching wild pokemon. * Gym badge collection. * Alignments and classes. * Teams good and bad. * Much more...
    Old August 10th, 2011 (2:28 PM).

Quote:
      Well I just stuck with using the black since it always comes first anyway. So that's first in all color pallet viewers (photoshop, infanview, etc).
      If you need to specifically control which colors are assigned to which slots in a palette, you can use GIMP. You'd create the palette in GIMP, paste in your image, and convert it to indexed colors with that palette. You can find some instructions on that here.
      Old August 10th, 2011 (2:51 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by DavidJCobb View Post
        If you need to specifically control which colors are assigned to which slots in a palette, you can use GIMP. You'd create the palette in GIMP, paste in your image, and convert it to indexed colors with that palette. You can find some instructions on that here.
        It's okay it worked in Infanview, I get it just the way I want it on Infanview but the problem is as I said already the order of the colours in the pallet gets all muddled up as soon as I import it onto advancemap. That's my main problem.
        * A working PvP battle system using stats and levels. * Activities and NPCs. * Journeys and catching wild pokemon. * Gym badge collection. * Alignments and classes. * Teams good and bad. * Much more...
        Old August 10th, 2011 (2:58 PM).

Quote:
          It's okay it worked in Infanview, I get it just the way I want it on Infanview but the problem is as I said already the order of the colours in the pallet gets all muddled up as soon as I import it onto advancemap. That's my main problem.
          When you import the image, or when you import the palette?

If all else fails, you can manually recreate the palette in AdvanceMap's Block Editor, to ensure that each color is assigned to the proper slot. Slightly time-consuming, but failure-proof in my experience.
          Old August 10th, 2011 (3:39 PM).
          Osnap

Nature: Adamant
            Hi, I had a quick question about a problem that occurred while using Advance Map.

I am currently working on a hack of Fire Red, and I wanted to make a simple adjustment to Digglet's Cave. I changed the map's layouy slightly by adding another path to walk through. Just changing 1's to C's and arranging the tiles to look proper.

I had completed my edit, but afterwards Digglet's Cave and Viridian Forest became inaccessible. Upon entry the screen would turn black and freeze.

I've edited many of the other maps in the game already, completely overhauling some of them, and no errors like this had occurred, any idea why this happened or mistake I may have made?
            Old August 10th, 2011 (8:13 PM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by superblah411 View Post
              Hi, I had a quick question about a problem that occurred while using Advance Map.

I am currently working on a hack of Fire Red, and I wanted to make a simple adjustment to Digglet's Cave. I changed the map's layouy slightly by adding another path to walk through. Just changing 1's to C's and arranging the tiles to look proper.

I had completed my edit, but afterwards Digglet's Cave and Viridian Forest became inaccessible. Upon entry the screen would turn black and freeze.

I've edited many of the other maps in the game already, completely overhauling some of them, and no errors like this had occurred, any idea why this happened or mistake I may have made?
              What specifically did you change, and which version of AMap were you using?

Off the top of my head I would guess that it's some sort of data corruption involving the attributes in the maps' headers. That, or some bizarre oddity involving level scripts or warps.
              Old August 11th, 2011 (1:08 AM).
              Hi!

Nature: Relaxed
                How do I edit the title screen in Pokémon Gold
                Old August 11th, 2011 (7:17 AM).
                Osnap

Quote:
                  What specifically did you change, and which version of AMap were you using?

Off the top of my head I would guess that it's some sort of data corruption involving the attributes in the maps' headers. That, or some bizarre oddity involving level scripts or warps.

I am using AMap 1.92 and I just made a little square area to the left towards the bottom and edited the movement permissions. If I may have done something else by mistakes, throw any ideas out there. Can't post a screen shot due to post count, but I will PM it.
                  Old August 11th, 2011 (11:49 AM).
                  Hack'in as usual, it seem.

Nature: Calm
                    Can some tell me the following:
                    The firered Bag Offset
                    The Firered Bag Offset (inside the bag you know the item selection)
                    Old August 11th, 2011 (12:00 PM).
                    the spirit of the fighter
                    • Platinum Tier
                    • Developer

I know that the Pokemon Series uses the M4A sound engine. Is there any music editors for non-M4A games, like SMA 4?
                    Old August 11th, 2011 (12:22 PM).
                    RMXP Noob

Does anyone know the palette offsets for the gym badges, male/female hero and the rival for Fire Red? UNLZ isn't finding me the correct offsets.
                      Oh, and also the image offsets for the battle backgrounds.
                      Old August 11th, 2011 (1:14 PM). Edited August 11th, 2011 by Missingyep.

Quote:
                        I am using AMap 1.92 and I just made a little square area to the left towards the bottom and edited the movement permissions. If I may have done something else by mistakes, throw any ideas out there. Can't post a screen shot due to post count, but I will PM it.
                        Okay.

Here's the screenshot in case anyone else wants to help.

Now, I'm seeing some movement permissions that I haven't seen before -- Ds. I doubt that that would cause a crash, however.

Did you add events or level scripts to the map? Or were any events or level scripts present when you started editing? Do you have the warps needed to enter the map?

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by DuoRyan View Post
                        Can some tell me the following:
                        The firered Bag Offset
                        It varies. The game uses a technique called DMA to constantly move vital data around in RAM. They do this to prevent people from modifying the data using cheat devices. The contents of the Bag are DMA-protected, as are all script flags and most script variables.

...In other words, there is no one single offset.
                        Old August 11th, 2011 (1:31 PM).
                        Osnap

Quote:
                          Okay.

Now, I'm seeing some movement permissions that I haven't seen before -- Ds. I doubt that that would cause a crash, however.

Did you add events or level scripts to the map? Or were any events or level scripts present when you started editing? Do you have the warps needed to enter the map?
                          There are only entrance and exit warp tiles, and I did not adjust or alter them in any way and no other events, I did ad 1 person event for a hidden item, but since deleted the event. Ds were there on arrival. Also, I didn't mention that it freezes when entering the small room before the actual cave room. Both entrances on routes 2 and 11 cause the freeze (black screen, no sound) as well as entering either side of viridian forest. I use a save state to load inside of the forest, and the game froze when I exited a wild battle(reloading the map?) I've checked in AMap, and both maps were as I left them. Hadn't even edited the forest in over a month.
                          Old August 11th, 2011 (5:27 PM).
                          Everyone currently in an argument with this member: I really suggest you stop.
                          • Gold Tier

Is there any way to create a grayscale effect in a script like when FR/LG go over the player's last activities before saving? Or do I need a whole new tileset?
                          Old August 11th, 2011 (5:42 PM).

Quote:
                            There are only entrance and exit warp tiles, and I did not adjust or alter them in any way and no other events, I did ad 1 person event for a hidden item, but since deleted the event. Ds were there on arrival. Also, I didn't mention that it freezes when entering the small room before the actual cave room. Both entrances on routes 2 and 11 cause the freeze (black screen, no sound) as well as entering either side of viridian forest. I use a save state to load inside of the forest, and the game froze when I exited a wild battle(reloading the map?) I've checked in AMap, and both maps were as I left them. Hadn't even edited the forest in over a month.
                            Odd. Do other maps from that same bank (Bank 2) work?
                            Old August 12th, 2011 (3:16 AM).
                            Sound Expert

Is there a not too complicated method to play a song or a soundeffect out of an asm routine?
                              Old August 12th, 2011 (3:23 AM).
                              Life hurts, and so do I

Nature: Timid
                                In Emerald, how do you access Birch´s intro with XSE. Plz answer.
                                Old August 12th, 2011 (7:11 AM).

Nature: Bold
                                  How do we change the intro sprites?(RUBY)
                                  Old August 12th, 2011 (8:12 AM).
                                  Osnap

Quote:
                                    Odd. Do other maps from that same bank (Bank 2) work?
                                    Well, the forest and digglet's cave are in Bank 1(second technically due to bank 0 being the first), but I did notice there is another Digglet's cave map in bank 2 map 0, that is identical to the route 11 entrance map in bank 1. I've tested SS Anne maps, and rock tunnel, who share the bank with forest and cave, and both worked properly. I'd be willing to zip a folder up of the files I'm working with if somebody would be willing to take a look. I've only just begun getting into rom hacking, as am making a casual game for my friends and I to play.
                                    Old August 12th, 2011 (9:04 AM).
                                    Sound Expert

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Destiny Demon View Post
                                      You can use the command playsong or fanfare, depending on what song number you're using.
                                      You cannot use playsong & co.in an ASM routine.

Playsing is a Pokescript or XSE command.

Quick Reply