• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your first anime?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
  1. What was the first anime you watched?
  2. What was the first anime you watched, knowing that it was anime?
  3. What was the first anime you watched with subs?
(taken from the original 'Your First Anime?' thread by Lightning.)

Well, let me start off:

1. Pokemon, back in 2000. I was still pretty young, but from what I heard from my parents is that I used to obsess over the show. I always thought it was produced in America, then it became famous in Japan. Found out it wasn't like that a few years later when I was talking to my cousin about it XD

2. Bleach. I knew it was anime from a family friend and he introduced it to me back in 2007. He also introduced me to Naruto, which I then watched for two years or so. Started watching it online back in 2008. Same with Bleach.

3. Naruto. I remember waiting for the new episodes to come out on tailedfox (or w/e it's called) every week. Ah, good days. I then started watching a wide variety of anime after that. From then on anime played a role in my life XD

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
What was the first anime you watched?
Card Captor Sakura -insert cool face-

What was the first anime you watched, knowing that it was anime?

Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh because I watched them both around the same time, sort of.

What was the first anime you watched with subs?
Lucky Star.

matu

Friend Code: 3826-0525-3075
Years
1. Pokemon, because, you know, we all watched Pokemon.
2. I guess Naruto, when it started on Jetix. (Yes, we don't have 4Kids in Europe)
3. Bleach, and thank god I started watching with subs. Their voices are awesome.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
Years
1. I think it was "Pokemon" or "Sailor Moon" because that's what my older sister used to watch when I was really young :)
2. I think it was when I rewatched "Sailor Moon" and "Pokemon" when I was around 10 years old. ^.^
3. I think my first subbed anime was "Maria-sama ga Miteru" or "Lucky Star" which was early last year >.>

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
watched?-
Pokemon/Sailor Moon/BeyBlade

watched knowing it was "anime"?
That would probably be Blood+ or Bleach. Watching anime on youtube, nostalgia.

watched subbed?
Blood+

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
Years
1. What was the first anime you watched?

Probably either Mitsubachi Maya no Bouken or Fushigi na Koala Blinky. These aired in the late 80s/early 90s on Nick Jr. dubbed as Maya the Bee and The Noozles respectively and I watched them regularly as a preschooler.

2. What was the first anime that you watched, knowing it was anime?

Pokemon. I was initially told by my parents that I wasn't allowed to watch it because it was "Japanimation", which was my first exposure to the concept of anime, even in that horribly bastardized form of the word.

3. What was the first anime you watched with subs?

Hellsing. A friend who had broadband before I did burned the series to some DVDs for me and I watched it on television. It was horrendously pixelated from high compression (pretty sure these were grabbed off of an IRC channel before bittorrent existed) and the subs would be laughably unprofessional by today's standards (unreadable fonts, terrible QC, random commentary from the subber, etc.) but the show was still mind-blastingly awesome to me the first time I watched it. It's certainly vastly overshadowed by Hellsing Ultimate now, but Logos Naki World is still one of the best anime opening themes ever.

Last edited:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
The first anime I watched, like so many other people on PC, was Pokemon. It was probably a close-run contest between that, Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon, but as they were advertised alongside the other cartoons in the childrens' block of programming, I didn't think anything was really different.

The first TV anime I watched knowing the differences between anime and Western animation - as well as the first one I watched with subs - was FLCL, and I wouldn't recommend this as the first pure anime experience. I imagine I'll come back and appreciate it more in time, but I'd much rather have started with the infinitely more accessibly Cowboy Bebop (which I really, really like). The first cinematic anime I watched was Spirited Away,many years ago, although I might not have watched it with subs for the first time until just last year!

Last edited:

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
An old Mecha anime. It wasn't Voltron, as far as I know.
I'm pretty sure I also watched Doraemon as a kid.

Either Pokémon or Dragonball.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
1. It was either Sailor Moon or Pokemon. I'm not too sure which one came first.
2. Inuyasha. My friend told me that I should watch it, but it ran too late. Sooo, I asked my dad to tape some episodes and voila, my first anime.
3. I think it would had to have beeen... Pita-Ten. It was the first Manga series that I finished and I wanted to watch the anime, but it was subbed so there you go.

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
I watched Dragonball for the first time back in '95. I was amazed by it because even though I was 4 back then I already would understand how different this is from a Western type of cartoon (even though I wouldn't call it 'western' then, just 'different')

Then it was Pokemon. I knew it was an anime.

And finally, Naruto was the first subbed anime I watched. Well, more like downloaded.

Last edited:

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
1. I'm almost certain it was a movie called Little Nemo. Probably around 92' or 93'.

2. Dragonball Z

3. Now this one, I'm not too sure of. Could of been Gundam SEED or Shaman King. I also have some subbed Dragonball GT VHS tapes, lol...

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
1. I'd have to go with the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that run from 87 to 96. If that is actually considered an anime. If not then I'd go with Beast Wars, Dragon Ball Z, Ronin Warriors.

2. Dragon Ball Z or Gundam Wing

3. Naruto (cause I was getting sick of waiting for the hyped up Village of the End fight so I watched ahead and said screw all the fillers, Shippuuden is out I'm watching that. Same with Bleach I wanted to find out what happened with Ichigo after he fought Kenpachi and I didn't feel like waiting another week so I started to watch that as well.)

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
Yeeeeeah, I don't watch too much anime, but here goes:
It was Pokémon way back when it first came out.

I honestly have no idea, it was probably Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z though.

Some animated adaptations of the "Tales of" series, back when I was really into it. I think it was the "Tales of Eternia" anime adaptation.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
Years
In all likelihood, Pokemon, but that was a long time ago.

Inuyasha in... 2003? Whenever it started airing in Canada, more or less.

Gundam SEED Destiny... before I'd even finished the first season since it was airing on TV at the time.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
Oh... Either Sailor Moon or Pokemon.

Naruto.

Um either Bleach or Naruto.

Happy Azumarill

All society is one big pie
Years

Sailor Moon and Pokemon

What was the first anime you watched, knowing it was anime?

Ghost in the shell

What was the first anime you watched in subs?

Ghost in the shell SAC 2ND GIG

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
1.What was the first anime you watched? Sailor Moon. Came years before Pokemon.

2.What was the first anime you watched, knowing that it was anime? Ah My Goddess. Picked it up, believe it or not, at Wal Mart back in '05.

3.What was the first anime you watched with subs? I seem to recall Clannad being one of the first, but I'm not completely sure and there might be some random, obscure subbed OVA that I discovered first.

Zet

Years
Sailor Moon

Spirited Away

Gurren Lagann

I think Gurren Lagann was the first anime I watched subbed.

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
Years
Sailor Moon. Just now started watching it in its original language with subs. Awesomeness!

Cowboy Bebop. Aw yeah...

Digimon Seasons 1 and 2

Back