• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Punctuation

Favourite Punctuation?

• Total voters
Years
So yeah, what's your favourite punctuation (mark, piece? idek)?

For example, you may like the colon the most, because it's helpful in sentences, of the question mark because it looks pretty, etc.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
This thing: ~. It's supposed to mean approximately, or something along those lines. Plus it's in my username.

And . (period) since well, I'm very inappropriate. xD

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 25, 2013
I find myself using ellipses all the time. I make a lot of pauses when I talk, and I want to indicate those when I'm typing so people read it with the right intonation.

Semi-colons are rad too, they're the most easily accessible punctuation if you're touch typing, which is awesome for when you're using CSS because you don't have to reach all the way across the keyboard. You use them all the time and they're so handily placed on the keyboard! (Which is why I'm not particularly fond of backslashes, they're so out of the way.)

Years
I love the interrobang (‽) just because of its name. It's so fitting. The ampersand (&) is also rad. I love being able to write "&c." instead of "etc." like they do in ye olde books.

Probably though I like the simple comma the most. Very useful when used right.

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
Years
I like uh.. ~ that thing, I believe from a previous post it means approximately - I also like the dash thingy and ellipses, as they're used commonly by me.

Years
I like the comma, just because I see so many people forget them in sentences, when they really should be there (and yes, I purposely used them in my response!)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I used to really love semi-colons and would end random phrases with it. Like my usertitles would be like "majorette mod;" or something. I loved them, haha. Nowadays, I'd say I don't have one. Things should end in mystery left for the reader to decipher so leave your sentences bare

Years
If going by how often I use them (read: whenever I can get away with it), then the semicolon and parentheses win. I mean, seriously, I already used parentheses when writing this post! :p With semicolons, I have to check and make sure I'm not using it too much. This isn't a problem in my forum posts; it's my personal writing I have to watch.

I'd also say comma but it doesn't look as cool. >:)

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
For some reason, I overuse dashes when I'm writing long texts in English- or even if they aren't that large (I swear this one wasn't intentional XD). I don't know how they even started to grow on me because dashes are never used in Spanish but there you go.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
I like writing question marks ? when I write stuff for school. I just like how it looks.

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Colon/Semi-colon here. I don't know why, but they seem to relax me when I see them in a paragraph. ~ and - on the other hand, kind of alert me.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I like the tilde, the hyphen, and the semi-colon. The former I like because I feel it is used like a mashup of ♪, !, and :D and it's a very fun character; the latter two I enjoy because they are so very useful.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
I love semicolons. Especially when they're used correctly. They can be very, very powerful if you use them right in a sentence that can otherwise be boring.

I'm a English nerd, sue meh.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
…Ellipsis, of course. My most used punctuation! I also use commas a lot. I do think both are very annoying, though, so perhaps I should try to find a new favorite punctuation mark. I do quite fancy semicolons since they're so rare, and exclamation marks are very exciting! I vote for them all!

Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2013
Semicolons look so fancy to me. 8D; I do tend to abuse the tilde a lot at the end of random sentences, so I suppose that would be my second favourite.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I WAS ACTUALLY THINKING ABOUT THIS THE OTHER DAY

and it's definitely the exclamation mark, even when I don't mean it, I love using it; it just adds a really silly exaggeration to everything and I love it too much especially on MSN and VMs

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
Years
I like to use hyphens whenever I get the chance, even if I sometimes use them incorrectly. Which is really quite sad considering how much of a grammar guru I have come out to be~

Seems like a lot of people use the hyphen to really give their sentences power. Just seems like you're really putting emphasis on your point when you follow it with a hyphenated addition.

Back